Author Topic: New and Upcoming Releases Volume XII: Baker's Dozen  (Read 217683 times)

Geont

• Master Sergeant
Re: New and Upcoming Releases Volume XII: Baker's Dozen
« Reply #810 on: 09 May 2018, 03:05:25 »
I saw in local distributor's catalogue new product for BT, Map Set. Will have this new Map Set all six maps that were mentioned in Coming Releases?
Born in Czechoslovakia and living in Czechia (or Czech Republic).

Fan of FWL

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #811 on: 09 May 2018, 04:49:06 »
distributors list announced (or sometimes even rumored) products all the time. until we get real details from cgl, it's just a retailer's placeholder for something that may or may not eventually exist. My FLGS still has a preorder for the Alpha Strike Box and Combat Manual: Davion.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #812 on: 09 May 2018, 21:38:27 »
I have 5 . . . this will make 7 when the boxes come out.

I still need to put together my other Prim to be a -7M . . . so WVR-6R unseen, -3R (or 6R stand in), -8K, II/-7H, an unassembled -7M . . . two plastics . . . one will be a -9M, and not sure about the other.
What, no BD Wolverine?   ???
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #813 on: 10 May 2018, 13:40:38 »
I thought the Combat Manuals all came to a end?
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #814 on: 10 May 2018, 13:48:23 »
they did, but my FLGS lists CM: Davion as a preorder. It's the peril of trusting a distributor's product listing... sometimes they're right. other times, not so much

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #815 on: 10 May 2018, 13:54:24 »
The store i use still lists the Clan box set. And i suspect that never got even as far as the CM Davion in development... Probably should send them a note that it isn't appearing...

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #816 on: 10 May 2018, 14:05:27 »
'To Whom it May Concern-

Dear Sir/Ma'am I just want to let you know the product you show being available in 2008 has not been released by the publisher and thus 10 years later I am asking for the return of my deposit promptly as you have not kept your catalog up to date.  Thank you.'
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #817 on: 10 May 2018, 14:14:39 »
"P.S. - Please inform your video game department that Half-Life 3 still has not released, but that I still want my money back even though Duke Nukem Forever actually DID come out."
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #818 on: 10 May 2018, 14:16:53 »
FLGS lists are weird, man. here's my local shop

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #819 on: 10 May 2018, 14:24:21 »
Well, damn. LGS used to have Map Set Compilation 2 available, should've bought a second copy while i had a chance.
On the other hand, looks like they've also sold out all BattleMech Manuals, that's good i guess?
Also sold out all TRO SWs, pretty sure they had one still a couple of days back when i visited? Again, maybe i should've picked it up while i was there (i've got it as PDF though).

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #820 on: 10 May 2018, 18:54:48 »
Do they have bad information or they just trying suck money in put outstuff they THING their going put out?

Battletech: Shadow of Faith book has been hiatus for 12 years now.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #821 on: 10 May 2018, 18:56:36 »
Probably bad info. Distributor has some stuff, game stores put that up, but never update unless it becomes relevant, like if it is asked about.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #822 on: 10 May 2018, 21:06:46 »
It's getting closer to Gencon so more updates on what comes out soon.

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #823 on: 10 May 2018, 22:12:10 »
Probably bad info. Distributor has some stuff, game stores put that up, but never update unless it becomes relevant, like if it is asked about.

My guess is that they dumped the previous iteration of the Coming Releases page into product listings. Shadows of Faith re-appeared on that page for awhile, but was removed in my last update to it in March. It's one of the reasons I'm trying to stay on top of keeping that page up-to-date, and not including anything on it that isn't actively being worked on--they can't erroneously pre-sell what we don't list. And in fairness to the distributors and stores, they can't know which products we post are more or less likely to actually happen.
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #824 on: 11 May 2018, 06:14:24 »
I have to say, having thinking something coming out is better what some stores have told me in the past. "Battletech dead".

I had to argue with the guy for half hour that isn't.

New product coming out is important, as long it comes. 
« Last Edit: 11 May 2018, 12:53:52 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #825 on: 11 May 2018, 09:04:45 »
My guess is that they dumped the previous iteration of the Coming Releases page into product listings. Shadows of Faith re-appeared on that page for awhile, but was removed in my last update to it in March. It's one of the reasons I'm trying to stay on top of keeping that page up-to-date, and not including anything on it that isn't actively being worked on--they can't erroneously pre-sell what we don't list. And in fairness to the distributors and stores, they can't know which products we post are more or less likely to actually happen.

And we thank you for it!

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #826 on: 11 May 2018, 17:04:21 »
Battletech is dead to most FLGS . It's been a long time since I've seen Battletech on the shelf.

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #827 on: 11 May 2018, 17:36:14 »
Battletech is dead to most FLGS . It's been a long time since I've seen Battletech on the shelf.

It's hard to support BattleTech without a proper jumping on point for new players.
The BattleTech Manual and TRO Succession Wars were a step in the right direction, but for a game advertised as a board game, the general absence of ways to get a map sheet board in physical format make it a hard push. Only being able to get Hex Pack Mountains and Canyons through trade channels makes life really difficult as a retailer since the board is a huge component to gameplay.

I know most players poo-poo the intro-level Record Sheet format as well, but Record Sheets 3039 was a good product for us, since we could up-sell it to those just starting out at the time as a rules expansion that allowed the inclusion of conventional forces in their games.

I'm speaking with my retailer hat on. PDFs products are great for me as a fan, but as a retailer, I need something tangible to be able to sell to support the game and it has to be a 'Complete' range (all the components in print must allow me to present the illusion that with the products currently available it is playable as a game on it's own).

The two introductory level box sets are a huge step in the right direction.
As a retailer who wants to carry the range, I NEED those to stay in print.

I do what I can for the veteran players as I can, but new players are always the lifeblood. It's financial suicide for me as a store to throw aggressive table time behind a game that has to be hunted off the dark corners of auction sites and online PDF stores.

Nothing I'm saying should be new information, but I felt the need to say it none-the-less.
« Last Edit: 11 May 2018, 18:02:28 by Dies Irae »

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #828 on: 12 May 2018, 15:16:12 »
I personally thought the FanPro BattlePack and Starterbooks was a great idea for new players but poor sales and gripping from the existing fanbase makes me part of the minority. We also loved the Hex Packs but those to had relativity low sales numbers that couldn't justify keeping them in production. PDFs has been both the most financially successful for CGL and affordable for new players so it's kinda had to argue with that logic though it doesn't make BT very marketable to brick and mortar game shops. So we are currently stuck in a vicious cycle of not enough fans to support physical products-> need more physical products to get more fans.  Hopefully the new boxes along with the fanbase of the HBS game will give the whole franchise a jump start it needs

Also: would love to see more Solaris VII stuff! Solaris VII gave MWO the very needed jolt of energy the game needed (why PGI didn't think of it during the Beta is still beyond me) so I'm sure there is a market for a update on the game world for all players, new and old alike.     
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #829 on: 12 May 2018, 16:21:52 »
It's hard to support BattleTech without a proper jumping on point for new players.
The BattleTech Manual and TRO Succession Wars were a step in the right direction, but for a game advertised as a board game, the general absence of ways to get a map sheet board in physical format make it a hard push. Only being able to get Hex Pack Mountains and Canyons through trade channels makes life really difficult as a retailer since the board is a huge component to gameplay.

I know most players poo-poo the intro-level Record Sheet format as well, but Record Sheets 3039 was a good product for us, since we could up-sell it to those just starting out at the time as a rules expansion that allowed the inclusion of conventional forces in their games.

I'm speaking with my retailer hat on. PDFs products are great for me as a fan, but as a retailer, I need something tangible to be able to sell to support the game and it has to be a 'Complete' range (all the components in print must allow me to present the illusion that with the products currently available it is playable as a game on it's own).

The two introductory level box sets are a huge step in the right direction.
As a retailer who wants to carry the range, I NEED those to stay in print.

I do what I can for the veteran players as I can, but new players are always the lifeblood. It's financial suicide for me as a store to throw aggressive table time behind a game that has to be hunted off the dark corners of auction sites and online PDF stores.

Nothing I'm saying should be new information, but I felt the need to say it none-the-less.

never mind the lance packs are OOP too and likely never to return  :-[
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #830 on: 12 May 2018, 17:58:29 »
The Alpha Strike Lance Packs are widely available from a number of outlets at, often, more than 50% off MSRP. "Out of print" merely means that one print run was produced with no more planned. These are even still available direct from CGL, all but the Assault Lance. There are more than enough of the Lance Packs to go around, and there is absolutely nobody nor nothing saying they're "likely never to return."
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #831 on: 12 May 2018, 18:07:11 »
Yep, I reckon that they'll get a new run after the new boxsets are out.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #832 on: 12 May 2018, 19:40:13 »
Yep, I reckon that they'll get a new run after the new boxsets are out.

Or we'll have a new mix of minis.

Though honestly, it almost seems like the existing lance packs were overproduced as it is, given their still wide availability. They may choose to scale back a bit the next time because they don't want unsold inventory warming shelves.

(note, I have neither inside knowledge nor experience in the field. My statements are purely suppositions, not meant to be brought up months later in out of context fragments as some sort of statement of fact)
« Last Edit: 12 May 2018, 19:43:42 by Liam's Ghost »
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #833 on: 12 May 2018, 19:47:20 »
I figure that if there are ever going to be new lance packs, they will have new miniatures, using either the new box set sculpts, or they will include other 'Mechs with new sculpts. Also figure they won't be as cheap as the previous lance packs.

Some folks i talked to regard older BT mini sculpts just unacceptable nowadays when it comes to quality, and that basically included all lance packs and previous introductory sets, even if they do contain a lot of minis for the price.
Now, they're acceptable to me (since minis aren't what draw me to BT anyway) but i can see how new players might need something better, and i don't doubt that this is a common thing, considering what kind of things other miniature games offer.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #834 on: 12 May 2018, 20:30:44 »
And the new players would be right. A fair amount of the old sculpts suffer from the same quality issues as (as much as I love the mood he set) Earl Geier's approach to proportion (as in proportion is something that happens to other people). No one can do a smoking wreck like Geier but I doubt his old work would be accepted today. Quality has improved and it should be likewise for the premier miniatures.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #835 on: 13 May 2018, 08:30:33 »
We also loved the Hex Packs but those to had relativity low sales numbers that couldn't justify keeping them in production.

A concept that often gets lost in these discussions is sales velocity. It's not as simple as "they didn't sell." It's often that "they didn't sell fast enough." That ties up the capital used to produce that product for YEARS, when the turnaround needs to be months at most. And that goes double for a product like the HexPacks, which were resource-intensive to produce.

That's why we've been putting out the message that we want these new boxed sets to sell quickly and strongly.

I figure that if there are ever going to be new lance packs, they will have new miniatures, using either the new box set sculpts, or they will include other 'Mechs with new sculpts. Also figure they won't be as cheap as the previous lance packs.

Far too early to say what any hypothetical product would or wouldn't include, let alone the price point.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #836 on: 13 May 2018, 09:32:21 »
A concept that often gets lost in these discussions is sales velocity. It's not as simple as "they didn't sell." It's often that "they didn't sell fast enough." That ties up the capital used to produce that product for YEARS, when the turnaround needs to be months at most. And that goes double for a product like the HexPacks, which were resource-intensive to produce.

That's why we've been putting out the message that we want these new boxed sets to sell quickly and strongly.

*nods* And that's the actual lesson from the Lance Packs. They were produced while Herb was still Line Editor, and they're still in stock with CGL. That's a poor sales velocity, despite their value and quality.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #837 on: 13 May 2018, 09:32:41 »
Just speculating, based new miniatured for the new box sets, demand for higher quality minis, new box set being more expensive.

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #838 on: 16 May 2018, 12:44:04 »
A bit of news to share: Adam Potts over at TechRaptor just published a recap of the upcoming tabletop releases and a Q&A with Brent and a few others.

Check it out here: https://techraptor.net/content/battletech-tabletop-interview

Enjoy!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #839 on: 16 May 2018, 13:29:06 »
Nice that they included visuals in the article.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."