Author Topic: New Project: BantamMechs, the Inner Sphere ProtoMech  (Read 6154 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: New Project: BantamMechs, the Inner Sphere ProtoMech
« Reply #30 on: 03 June 2023, 06:45:31 »
Interesting, but I'm not sure why you have to remove the shoulders? ???

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #31 on: 03 June 2023, 12:58:18 »
Interesting, but I'm not sure why you have to remove the shoulders? ???

The initial plans for ELMs was to have every design with the same kind of arms as the Rifleman, to save material and space.  To fit the wings, the fluff was to describe them as slim, needle-shaped bodies (Like the Lockheed Starfighter?) with Torso- or Wing mounted weapons - no arms allowed.  Because it was so small, the plan was to severely restrict the number of Critical spaces; I haven't figured out where it fits yet (Probably a 'finish the record sheet'-step) but this is the original description below.

•   Because of their small size, ELMs have fewer Critical Slots; the head has 3 slots (Completely filled with one slot apiece for Cockpit, Sensor, and Life Support), each arm 5 slots (6 with the removal of the Shoulder Actuator for ELM PAMs), Legs have 2 slots (6 with Hip, Upper- and Lower Leg Actuator, and Foot), each side torso has 6 slots (all of them open) and CT has 12 slots -1-2 for the AirMech gear (NOTE: 1 slotgyro for 9-14, 2 slot for 15-19+Standard engine slots)

Basically there are about 36 crits plus a smaller CT (about 2 charts of 4?), which leaves about 42 total (-8 for legs, -6 for engine, -1 or -2 for gyro, -2 for shoulders, -1 for PAM equipment) before the free crits of about 24-25 (minus more stuff like Jump Jets - can't be a LAM without them).

Where the ELM PAM isn't crit starved, I tried to punish it with the 33% slower ground speed and the 15% mass penalty.  And where those won't do it, I diddled their game rules; it takes added Thrust Points (or did; I haven't used ELMs since TW came out and need to study them, too) to Launch and Land, they have to travel a set distance before turning a single hex facing safely, etc.

The reason for the big deal about FASA's LAMs, in my opinion, was the way players treated the Jump range like a Queen in chess ("I CAN GO ANYWHERE!") and tried to treat them as super-units.  Not happening here - you can try moving 18 hexes and land behind somebody to try and gut them in a single Turn, but I tried to make it impossible without a series of miracle control rolls.  But Game Rules will come later.  Not looking forward to it, really.

...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #32 on: 03 June 2023, 13:06:48 »
Ah, ok...

namar13766

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #33 on: 04 June 2023, 10:52:12 »
Would ELM DWMs work in conjunction with the Cassette Missile Launcher?

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 04 June 2023, 18:57:31 »
 :D

120 srms - no waiting.  Imagine a Yeoman.  Now make it a single-shot 14-15 ton unit moving 6/9...

« Last Edit: 04 June 2023, 19:49:16 by Red Pins »
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!

namar13766

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #35 on: 04 June 2023, 20:35:51 »

120 srms - no waiting.  Imagine a Yeoman.  Now make it a single-shot 14-15 ton unit moving 6/9...

Mother of God.  :o

And that's assuming it doesn't operate in 5-unit Stars or whatever  grouping the WOB/Blakists use.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #36 on: 04 June 2023, 21:18:07 »
Mother of God.  :o

And that's assuming it doesn't operate in 5-unit Stars or whatever  grouping the WOB/Blakists use.

Fives for the Zombie Pythons and Civil Government, their allies.  Six for the Blakists, like the rest of their forces.  Of course, theirs aren't always straightforward LRM/SRMs.  It makes me a bit queasy, but a significant proportion are Thunders, against civilian targets or to cover retreats.

There's a reason the Pythons capital was Annihilated, the CG forced to surrender or fight a civil war, and the Blakists pursued as they ran for the Deep Periphery of the IS.

namar13766

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #37 on: 05 June 2023, 07:34:43 »
Incidentally, do ELMs have other artillery weapons besides Missile Tubes for Arrow-IV missiles?

Because I was thinking something like BA Tube Artillery, only upscaled for an ELM, could provide some flexibility, whether it's made by the New clans, Civil Government, or Blakists.

Hell, it could even carry its own spotting drones.
« Last Edit: 05 June 2023, 07:48:53 by namar13766 »

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #38 on: 05 June 2023, 17:33:18 »
Not really?  The foundries and expense of creating tube artillery is rare amount the NCs - the 'stick an arm out so I can cut it off' mindset doesn't make such things very popular.  Their mindset and doctrine is massive retaliation or overwhelming force on the attack, just like the worst of the real Clans.  And they can carry drone Cubicles for single drones, but need to have an operator in a rear area control it.  Most of the time The combat unit focuses on the potential to commit war crimes, and the distant operator who never had to see the results presses the button.

The CG would wants to imitate the ComStar model, more endurance rather than all the one-shot and send it back to the factory, but any immigrants with an education get snapped up by the New Clans, and successful anybody in the CG considers adoption into a Clan a guarantee of living on easy street in comparison.  It's why the Citizens hate the NCs with a burning passion and threw their lot in with the Pythons and Wobbies.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #39 on: 06 June 2023, 23:37:55 »
I've been busy, but I've been looking at the TRO:Syberia rules for Mechs with BA weapons, and I've decided I need it.  But is it going to get me in trouble?  Who do I talk to about this?  Suggestions?

namar13766

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #40 on: 07 June 2023, 07:23:11 »
I've been busy, but I've been looking at the TRO:Syberia rules for Mechs with BA weapons, and I've decided I need it.  But is it going to get me in trouble?  Who do I talk to about this?  Suggestions?

Just credit HABeas2 and you’re good.

namar13766

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #41 on: 11 June 2023, 20:12:11 »
Yo buddy, still alive?

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #42 on: 11 June 2023, 22:39:26 »
Its been another week from hell, and no battletech.

(Snip.  Sorry, verbal diarrhea in text form.  I can't seem to not whine and bleed, so...  Yeah.  Busy.  I'll be back, but it will probably be in a specific ELM thread rather than continue to monopolize this one.  Sorry!)

Edit-Sent a message to HABeas asking.  That's about all I can find time to do right now.
« Last Edit: 12 June 2023, 00:06:06 by Red Pins »

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #43 on: 14 June 2023, 00:05:33 »
I AM still trying to work on this, its just really slow.  I've been experimenting with BA trailer layouts and trying to find a format, making little stubs of Step 5: Weapons and Equipment, but I've given up for now.  I've broken it down to 3 points;

-a list of IS/C BA weapons, IS/C Heavy Weapons and Equip, and Legacy Cluster Heavy Weapons and Equip that can be mounted on ELMs.

-a 'Rules' description, modified from TRO: Syberia.

-mention of the reduced critical space.

Anything over 10 tons or 6 crits will be removed from the charts, then anything developed post-Burrock Absorption/Clan Invasion, then whatever I think they wouldn't need.
Seen in the attachment, the AC/2 is a

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #44 on: 14 June 2023, 03:19:42 »
Is a... what? ???

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #45 on: 14 June 2023, 06:36:07 »
Oh, sorry.  It's just a sample.  It's intended to be BA weapons, then Heavy weapons but I did the Heavy chart first by habit.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #46 on: 14 June 2023, 18:15:48 »
I meant that the text trailed off in your previous post... sorry for being less than clear!

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #47 on: 14 June 2023, 19:51:33 »
Yeah, it was a extra line I didn't completely cut off.

Spoke with Herb - he's fine with it, but I was finishing cutting-and-pasting the allowable weapons and equipment....  It's five pages.  Top to bottom.  Gotta cull it somehow.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #48 on: 14 June 2023, 20:09:07 »
Ah ok... that's probably worth going back and trimming off, then...  :)

Suralin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #49 on: 15 July 2023, 10:23:49 »
A lot of this seems like my old IS Protos idea from ages ago (see link in signature). How're your construction rules on the matter?

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #50 on: 15 July 2023, 10:30:31 »
The working rules are in the thread above or below this one, don't have time to turn on the box and it's a pain to copy paste on the tablet, sorry.  Look for my name.