Author Topic: Guided by the light of a (Red) Cameron Star  (Read 50720 times)

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
Re: Guided by the light of a (Red) Cameron Star
« Reply #90 on: 01 August 2023, 17:43:44 »
I can just see a Union docking...
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Hotpoint

• Master Sergeant
  • Rumours of annihilation are grossly exaggerated
« Reply #91 on: 08 August 2023, 10:13:00 »
Part X

----------

Germanium fever, has gone and got me down
Germanium fever, it's spreadin' all around
With a Geo-Scanner in my hand
I'm a-goin' out to stake me some periphery land
Germanium fever has done and got me down

Anonymous Prospector - Early 23rd Century

----------

Association Council Building – Niops Association (Niops VII) – 2828

Still sat at his desk late in the evening, long after most of his staff had gone home, Giles Olson read the report which he had just been handed personally by Admiral Bremman who had requested an urgent meeting. He blinked and then read it again more slowly, this was certainly not the meeting he had been expecting. The one scheduled in his diary was a briefing about jump-point defence and fleet dispositions. "Not to cast aspersions on the typing skills of your staff, but by any chance was there an extra zero inadvertently added to this figure" he asked, pointing to the page. "Or perhaps two extra zeroes?"

"No Sir" Bremman replied evenly.

Olson looked the man in the eyes. "And this isn't some piece of military humour that civilians don't get?" he checked. "Or dare I say it, a prank being played at my expense?" he asked suspiciously.

"No Sir" Bremman replied once again, denying the accusation. "On both counts" he added.

Olson frowned. "So, and let me absolutely clear on this point, you are informing me, in all candour, that the salvage team you sent to check out the old ATC mining complex on Alphard discovered a germanium deposit worth fifty billion dollars?" he exclaimed incredulously.

"Negative" Bremman responded, shaking his head. Olson as a result looking even more perplexed than before. "Our team discovered fifty billion dollars' worth of germanium that had already been dug up and refined and was just sitting there in a secure warehouse, presumably waiting to be shipped out" he told the High Associator. "It's probably been there for decades gathering dust. How much more germanium remains in the ground is unknown, but until we get a team of geologists in there to perform a proper survey our best estimate is…" he paused. "…most of it."

Olson squeezed his eyes shut for a few moments before opening them again. "Why in the name of Copernicus did someone dig up fifty billion dollars' worth of germanium and just leave it in a freaking warehouse?" he asked reasonably. Interstellar travel was critically reliant upon the metal, with the jump-core of any starship requiring a massive quantity of a germanium-titanium alloy to even work. That was why there was never enough of it to be had, with demand far outstripping supply. It was also why the Star League Dollar had been so strong during the Golden Age, it was backed not by mere gold bullion but by Terra's huge reserve of the vital resource stockpiled at Fort Knox.

"Our assumption is that all the people who knew about it came to a bad end, perhaps the transport they were on was destroyed in the fighting, or maybe they just misjumped" Bremman suggested. "They presumably never told anyone else about their good fortune beforehand, that being considered a highly plausible scenario because, well let's face it, people have been killed for far, far less" he pointed out. "The Alphard Trading Corporation went bankrupt during the war, and with the Inner Sphere enthusiastically blasting itself back to the Stone Age nobody else was sending out expensive jump-ships to a periphery backwater."

"But there are people living on the planet. How did they not find it?" Olson queried, again reasonably.

"Everyone on Alphard lives on one of the two large northern continents, where the climate isn't quite as harsh and there's the only regions on the planet with arable soil and fresh water to irrigate it with" Bremman explained. "The ATC mines were on the smaller island continent near the equator, it's about the size of Australia but even drier, and frankly it makes Death Valley on Terra look temperate by comparison. Nobody, and I mean nobody, lives there."

"Surely there was at least a workforce for the mines when they were operating?" Olson could not help but assume. I wasn't like there were artificially intelligent robots around to do that kind of work like in some science-fiction novel.

Bremman shrugged. "The mining equipment was mostly automated, we assumed it would be given the conditions which is partially why we went there hoping to salvage something more advanced than a few mechanical diggers, but there should have been some mineworkers, I agree. It's just a guess on my part but perhaps they were all off-worlders brought in for their expertise and all left on the same ship when news about the war reached them?" he responded. "As for why the corporation settled people elsewhere on the planet, it's possible the ATC may have intended lower-tech mining operations there, or perhaps they intended on building factories to turn raw materials into finished products for export?" he hypothesised. "Alphard isn't just rich in germanium incidentally, we might want to consider placing our mining operations for rare-earth metals there too, our electronics industry would benefit greatly I'm told, the really fancy doohickies need fancy metals to make them work."

Olson looked thoughtful. "I'm assuming that if they left all that germanium behind, they also left all the mining equipment too?" he surmised. They obviously thought they were coming back, and it seemed implausible that they wouldn't want to extract even more of the stuff given the likelihood of a severe case of what prospectors called 'Germanium Fever' setting in.

Bremman nodded. "Yes Sir" he confirmed. "Thanks largely to the dry climate it's all still in excellent condition too, our engineers and technicians should be able to get the whole mining operation up-and-running before the end of the year if you give the order to go ahead with that" he told the High Associator.

Olson laughed. "If I found a continent full of germanium I'd think it was worth investing some capital expenditure in too" he responded.

"We may even want to reverse-engineer some of the equipment in order to make copies. It looks like the ATC brought in some very expensive cutting-edge mining technology from the Terran Hegemony that requires minimal labour to operate" Bremman noted. "It would be very helpful given our manpower shortage. As you know we simply don't have the numbers to operate a pick-and-shovel mining operation while meeting our optimal production targets for weapon upgrades, let alone setting up additional production lines for other equipment."

"More advanced than what we use on Niops V?" Olson queried, that in itself was a little surprising. The Terran Hegemony had not skimped on advanced technology when establishing itself in the Niops system. Most everything was either state-of-the-art or else of proven reliability.

"I'm no expert but I got the impression from the full report that it was designed and optimised for larger-scale material extraction than takes place here. Which I suppose makes sense because Niops was intended to be a self-sufficient science colony, not an exporter of raw materials or an industrial powerhouse" Bremman replied. "I doubt replicating the equipment is beyond the ability of our Project Workshops, they seem to be able to make most anything, which is also useful if we need replacement parts because it's not unlikely the factory that originally made the equipment is now a radioactive crater."

Olson sighed. The man was probably correct, much of whatever survived Amaris was lost to the squabbling infants that called themselves 'Archon', or 'Captain-General, or 'Coordinator' or whatever. "So, who does it belong to legally?" Olson queried. "The germanium I mean."

"From my perspective as a military man I'd argue it belongs to the closest world with the warships and battlemechs to back up their claim, possession being nine-tenths of the law" Bremman replied with a chuckle. "Or perhaps in even more strident terms, 'Stop quoting laws, we carry weapons', if I may be permitted to quote Pompey the Great" he continued, still smiling. "More seriously it's a periphery world so I'm honestly not sure on the actual legal position, again it's just not my field of expertise, however I suppose it could be argued that the Pollux Proclamation of 2575 applies."

The High Associator smiled. "I'm not sure if the Successor States regard that particular document granting free-reign to do whatever the hell it takes to ensure unification of all colonies under the Cameron Star as being legally binding or remotely authoritative these days" he responded with amusement.

"As far as the SLDF is concerned the power and authority of both the Star League and the Terran Hegemony rests with yourself as the de facto and de jure Acting First Lord" Bremman reminded the man. "And I for one could not care less what those clowns think" he declared. "Star League law trumps petty local jurisdictions and always has done" he stated firmly.

"I admire the strengths of your conviction, however the ability of the Terran Hegemony to strong-arm the rest of the Inner Sphere in compliance left with Aleksandr Kerensky and, although your redoubtable faction returned, a lighter touch is required these days" Olson told him. "More diplomatic niceties, less 'political power comes from the barrel of a gun'.

"You can get further with a kind word and a battleship than you can with just a kind word, but the military will, of course, defer to your judgement in such matters" Bremman replied. "Rest assured however if diplomacy ever fails the navy stands ready to present a convincing rebuttal of its own to our opponent's legal arguments."

"I hope you don't hold to the notion that might makes right, Admiral?" Olson chided.

"No Sir. But it does determine who is left" Bremman replied, trying not to sound too pleased with himself about the reply.

Olson decided to let it go as an unrelated thought popped into his brain. "You know, even if the ATC went bankrupt the companies name, and licenses to mineral rights filed with different jurisdictions, might still be available for purchase from their creditors" he voiced his thinking aloud. "If we want to establish diplomatic relations and trade with our closest neighbour at some point, we probably don't want any legal troubles in the Free Worlds League getting in the way, military options notwithstanding" he reasoned. "I'd really prefer to argue it out in court rather than a battlefield anyway."

"Your decision of course, but keep in mind that if things ever do go south we are in an excellent position to present our case very effectively on a battlefield, High Associator" Bremman counselled.

"Indeed we are Admiral, however a man with fifty billion dollars can also afford an exceptionally skilled set of lawyers" Olson countered. "And if we lose the case, as you contend, we've still got your warships and General Romanov's battlemechs if we lack a legal avenue of appeal against the judgement."

Bremman smiled, Olson was clearly a man of reason and not one that was afraid to think outside the box. "My advice would be to deploy ground troops and other military equipment to Alphard before you go ahead with any legal chicanery. That way if anyone wonders why we're buying the corporate rights, and is suspicious enough to investigate, they're going to find claim-jumping a far riskier proposition than they may believe beforehand" he said. "We can have an entire regiment there within three weeks. Raise the flag over Alphard and make it official. Although we could play it safe and not make any overt moves until the Successor States get back to killing each other with a vengeance. They'll be too busy to take notice of what's going on way out here in the boonies."

"I imagine a smaller force, one that was only operating under instructions to secure the mining complex, would be unlikely to be noticed however?" Olson queried.

"Yes Sir, a combined-arms battalion, infantry, mechs and vehicles, could dig in there and hold off just about anything as long as they had supplies" Bremman told him. "Given the climate we would want to deploy a cargo dropship with a Jamerson-Ulikov Water Purifier in the hold as well, so that it can process seawater into potable fresh water. Wiser to meet the needs of the garrison without having to repeatedly visit the more populous areas of the planet to top up the tanks from rivers and lakes. The latter might well be noticed and trigger some curiosity as to what the hell we're up to."

"I'll consider the more limited deployment" Olson replied. "I confess I'm loathe to formally annex the entire system, given that it does have a local population" he noted. "Maybe I should talk to the Association Council regarding making Alphard a protectorate if the locals there are amenable to the idea?"

Bremman scratched his chin. "If we undertook to keep pirates away from them and invested a couple of billion into raising their standard of living by building schools, hospitals and such, I doubt we would see much vocal opposition" Bremman opined. "Life in the periphery is hard after all, and they're mostly subsistence farmers" he said. "At least they are for now anyway, it could be an industrial powerhouse of a planet if enough infrastructure was built, and a decent amount of capital expenditure was ploughed into the economy there, instead of just ploughs being pulled through fields."

Olson considered the man's words. "Interesting position to take Admiral, I would have expected that you'd want to spend our new-found wealth on more warships" he said eventually.

"Sir, I can't even properly crew the ones I already have. The vessels we seized from the fleet boneyards were running on skeleton crews all the way here" Bremman responded. "I can't even justify not mothballing both Potemkins immediately after they gotten back here and unloaded their dropships and cargo. I simply lack a use for them" he said. "Realistically what I need is the ability to maintain the ships that offer the most utility and firepower for the fewest resources, although I will say that in the interim, by which I mean until we get a shipyard and fleet manufacturing operational, I do need a better source of replacement parts."

Olson sighed. "I'm sorry but as you've been told before the Project Workships have a backlog of increasingly urgent work to do already, I simply cannot prioritise your requests."

"I realise that Sir, I would simply like you to consider a proposal that our new circumstances allow for" Bremman responded. "Not all of the items on the to-do list for the Project Workshops are bespoke for Niops, nor are they all high-tech Terran Hegemony only products, why not simply purchase those items in from elsewhere to free up a Project Workshop for another task."

"Making warship spares you mean" Olson presumed.

"No Sir, making more Project Workshops" Bremman replied. "One of which could be assigned to naval production" he continued. "If we're going to be breaking from isolation anyway, and have the funds, then why not?" he asked rhetorically. "It would only be a temporary expedient, we certainly don't want to become dependent on imports in the long-term, but between that and perhaps buying in more mining equipment and low-tech heavy industry to feed our high-tech manufacturing base, it's not so much that our industrial development plans will hit the ground running, they'll be on overthrust."

Olson opened his mouth to reply, frowned then closed it again before smiling. "I was about to say, 'do you have any idea how expensive that would be?' before I realised how stupid it would have sounded because we can actually afford that now" he admitted. "It's a complete paradigm shift."

"Be grateful that our survey team are too honest to have stolen it all themselves and then hijack the jumpship" Bremman joked.

Olson laughed. "Should we reward them in some way do you think?" he asked.

"Not financially, they're not mercenaries, but a glowing unit commendation and some press coverage seems apt" Bremman suggested. "You might want to handle that personally perhaps?"

Olson nodded. "I'm more than happy to do so" he replied. "Would it mean a lot to them?"

"It'll look good on their records, and the press coverage and name recognition might get some of them laid, so I can't see them not being happy about it" Bremman supposed. "In public relations terms it'll be very positive for the SLDF personnel, help demonstrate that all the talk of 'honour and duty' isn't just talk for us. We genuinely mean it" he continued. "I will caution you that the next time a pay-rise is due for the military that if we don't get it the troops will go absolutely apeshit after we dropped a First Lord's ransom in your lap."

"I'll keep that in mind" Olson assured the man. "If you don't want more warships can I assume that General Romanov isn't going to be asking for another division's worth of battlemechs?"

"I cannot speak for the Army Sir, the inner workings of their minds are frequently a mystery to me, however if you are asked to sign off on the purchase of thirty-thousand Locust light battlemechs, which we could afford to buy now if there were that many for sale, which there aren't, just make sure that it's not just because they want to unleash 'a literal plague of locusts upon the foe'."

"A plague of locusts you say?" Olson responded, chuckling.

"Or perhaps a seven-thousand strong horde of barbarian Marauders" Bremman posited.

"So how many McKenna class battleships could we buy with the money then?" Olson queried out of interest.

"Two" Admiral Bremman told him.

"Two?" High Associator Olson exclaimed.

Bremman shrugged. "There's a good reason why only the Star League operated hundreds of battleships. Nobody else could afford to build them and still do everything else a government has to" he said. "If you're thinking about selling one of ours to a Successor State with deep pockets, even a ship we've mothballed and aren't using, I advise against it because if nothing else it'll raise a few awkward questions we don't want to answer" he said, clearly amused by the notion of putting a capital ship up for auction to the highest bidder.

"My life is already complicated enough without that kind of attention" Olson agreed before another thought crossed his mind. "With all that germanium and a shipyard we can make a metaphorical killing constructing civilian jumpships and selling them on" he realised. "As opposed to the literal killing that our warships are intended for."

"In the long term it might be best to have two shipyards, one for civilian construction, one for the navy Sir" Bremman told him. "We might not be planning to build more warships yet, but I'm sure we will eventually, and in the meantime we need to maintain and upgrade what we have."

Olson looked at his quizzically. "What upgrades are you thinking of Admiral Bremman?" he asked.

Bremman smiled. "It's blue-sky thinking, or perhaps 'black-sky' would be the better turn of phrase in the circumstances, but we've come a long way in PPC technology for battlemechs in the last five centuries but we're still using the same basic design of Naval PPC as we did before the Age of War" he said. "Surely we can apply some of the advances that resulted in the lighter and more compact Improved PPC and the more powerful Enhanced ERPPC to their larger cousins?"

"This is going to cost me an awful lot in terms of Research & Development funding isn't it?" Olson asked suspiciously.

"Germanium Sir, we have lots of it" Bremman reminded him. "I guarantee that the Army will be pushing for grants to fund their own pet projects too incidentally. If he wasn't off duty on a date General Hallis would be waiting in the room outside wanting to talk about a new Mercury III battlemech with modular weaponry, it's what we were eventually working towards before we had our spat with Nicky K" he said. "That and further development of battlemech PPC technology amusingly enough."

"You know that fifty billion in germanium won't stretch infinitely right?" Olson asked sardonically.

"Yes Sir, so we'd better get to digging up some more" Bremman replied, completely ignoring the man's tone. "I'll await your sign-off on that, and the troop deployment, with anticipation" he added brightly.

Elsewhere in town Franklin Hallis, feeling a little self-conscious in civilian clothing, was hoping that the latest food imports from Alphard had reached as far in the distribution network as the restaurant and bar up ahead. If they hadn't they could be in for some very bland fare because rationing was still very much a thing in the Niops system. Unless you wanted fish, and he didn't want fish again.

By next harvest everything would be fine. The arrival of he SLDF fleet had seen far more acreage put under the plough and fertilized by seaweed, but until then anything that couldn't be harvested from the sea, or imported from the farmers and ranchers on Alphard, was in short supply.

As he held open the door for his date the sound inside of people having fun and the smell of steak sizzling somewhere inside made Franklin Hallis both inwardly sigh with relief and start to drool. According to something he had read on the matter because of the climate there, the cows raised on Alphard were a genetically-engineered crossbreed of the American Brahmin and the Sudan Buffalo but all he really cared about was how the things tasted, and that was pretty good in his opinion. "Smells like booking a table here was a good idea" he remarked.

"Just so long as you the one paying" Barbara replied. "They charge too much because meat rare these days."

"Meat should always be rare" Hallis responded. "Or at worst cooked medium-rare" he joked. "Unless it's chicken. That needs to be cooked through."

Barbara rolled her eyes. "I can't believe you talked me into another date" she bemoaned her situation.

"This is our third date. You must like something about me" Hallis defended himself as they stepped inside.

"It definitely not your jokes" Barbara told him as much of the sound of merriment abruptly stopped.

Crap, Hallis thought to himself as someone called out "Attention on Deck" and there was a flurry of chairs being pushed back and diners starting to stand up while most of the people already standing at the bar snapped to attention.

Franklin Hallis looked around. "I'm off duty and so are all of you" he said loudly. "Get back to eating and drinking" he told everyone. Just his luck that the place was packed full of Wolverines. He had expected them to be hanging out in the bars they usually frequented, not this place. Perhaps they heard rumours about the restaurant having decent food for sale?

"If you're off duty how come you're still giving orders" someone called out anonymously from the other end of the room, provoking a little laughter.

"Because I get off on it" Hallis retorted, this resulting in a greater amount of mirth. "Seriously, forget I'm here, you're embarrassing me in front of my date" he requested.

Immediately everyone who had stood up sat back down and those at attention at the bar returned to what they were doing.

"It's good to be the Khan" Hallis remarked wryly. "Let's find out which table is ours" he said heading towards the woman stood behind a desk he assumed was the restaurant manager or at least a senior member of staff. She was looking at him very oddly as he approached, likely because of the short-lived scene she had just witnessed. "I booked a table, it should be under Hal Franklin, not my real name."

"That is the worst alias ever" Barbara couldn't help but interject.

"Okay… so I see you on the list" the woman behind the desk confirmed, looking over her paperwork. "Would I be correct in assuming you are actually General Franklin Hallis" she rightfully concluded.

"See, worst alias ever" Barbara contended. "I thought you said you once ran a spy agency?"

"I never claimed to be good at it" Hallis replied. "And it was counter-intelligence, not undercover intelligence gathering" he noted, recalling the period when Khan McEvedy assigned him to root out the Widowmaker trash spying on them. Fortunately the other clans tended not to be good at spooky tricks either for the most part, it went against the way their society was structured.

"We're honoured to host you tonight, General Hallis" the restaurant manager told him. "Your table is right this way" she bade him to follow, making a mental note to tell the chef to put in his best effort for their order. "I'll take your coats" she offered, doing so after leaving them with some menus to look through as Hallis ordered a couple of beers.

As they sat down and started to look through the menu, items not available due to rationing having a mark against them, Franklin Hallis noticed his companion for the evening looked a little uneasy. "Something wrong?" he asked quietly.

"I'm being looked at" Barbara whispered back.

"I continue to be impressed at your uncle's dressmaking skills, and how you look in them" Hallis told her.

Barbara frowned. "It not that, it your Wolverine people judging me."

"Are you sure it's not everyone else wondering how I got you to go out with me?" Hallis suggested.

"Some of them maybe, but mostly your people judging me. Probably think I am some gold-digger trying to get her claws into their king" Barbara decided.

"My people like claws" Hallis couldn't resist the joke.

Once again Barbara rolled her eyes. "It a pity they don't know I am the one out of your league" she told him.

"Only way for that to happen is to keep dating me" Hallis suggested.

Barbara looked at him askance. "Bad at jokes, bad at spying but good at tactics and planning I'll give you that" she told him.

A waiter arrived with their beers and Hallis ordered himself a steak, Barbara doing likewise although she wanted hers less bloody than he did. They hadn't started eating when the waiter returned with two more beers Hallis hadn't ordered. "Complements of the inebriated fellows at the bar" the waiter told them.

Hallis looked over to the bar. "Khan, My Khan!" one of the men there called out to him, holding up a half-empty beer of his own.

Returning the salute with a raised glass of his own Hallis told the waiter not to accept any more such orders but he should tell the 'inebriated fellows' to have another beer each on him.

"They love you" Barbara observed.

"They loved Sarah more" Hallis replied. "I just led them out of bondage and through the wilderness to the promised land" he continued. "Although it's lacking in the milk and honey department right now" he added looking at the desert menu sadly, more than half the usual choices on there being currently unavailable.

"I was wrong. You not their king, you their mechwarrior Moses" Barbara told him, clearly more amused by that notion than his attempts at humour.

Hallis chuckled. "Pharaoh Kerensky should have let my people go without a fuss" he suggested. "One day we'll go all ten plagues of Strana Mechty on the clans. Mark my words."

"So, what are your ten commandments?"

"First Commandment. Thou shalt not cook steak well done" Hallis told her solemnly as their food arrived.

----------

Note from the Author:

In canon the Marian Hegemony was founded on Alphard in 2920 by Johann Sebastian O'Reilly a man who stumbled upon fifty-billion C-Bills worth of germanium sitting in a hidden warehouse that used to belong to the Alphard Trading Corporation. It seems reasonable that everyone that knew about it had died or it would have been found much earlier. Also if they left the germanium I doubt they didn't also leave behind the mining equipment.

Comstar's C-Bill didn't actually exist until 2835 but I'm going with the notion that they set its value the same as the old Star League Dollar (and hence the Niops Association Dollar).  The C-Bill is actually worth quite a bit, you can estimate an exchange rate in modern terms of about ten USD to one C-Bill so fifty billion C-Bills is worth about half-a-trillion US Dollars today. O'Reilly was a very lucky man (although his obsession with Ancient Rome went a little far).

The issuing of the Pollux Proclamation of 2575 was when the Terran Hegemony Star League formally stated its goal to unify all worlds under their flag, whether they wanted to be or not. Those worlds not interested in being assimilated soon found out what it was like to have the SLDF descend upon them like a ton of bricks, beginning the era when the Star League enforced its dominance with large armies and excessive numbers of very expensive warships (AKA the 'Golden Age').

Niops has plans for all that new-found wealth that does not include cosplaying as Legionaries.
"A dread fear rests deep in the heart of Clan Coyote that one day a lawyer will arrive on Tamaron talking about intellectual property rights, the Mercury II and the Coyotl omnimech and this will herald the end of the Clan as the Not-Named sue their asses into bankruptcy for patent infringement" - The True History of the Clans (Dark Caste Press: 3050)

Hunted Tribes - Hotpoint's Battlestar/Battletech Crossover Series

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #92 on: 08 August 2023, 19:14:43 »
AWESOME update!  As a Lothian patriot, I'm SO amused by Niops (of all people) taking over Alphard early on. :D

Hallis' humor is indeed suspect, but totally funny! ;D

And I hope he eventually lands Barbara... ;)

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #93 on: 08 August 2023, 20:22:28 »
30,000 Locusts.... that would be mind-blowingly amazing.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #94 on: 09 August 2023, 01:22:39 »
30,000 Locusts.... that would be mind-blowingly amazing.

Imagine if they're all LCT-1Es, too.  Plague of Locusts indeed.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #95 on: 09 August 2023, 02:32:11 »
LCT-1M.

Who needs armor when you have 60,000 LRM5s? ;D

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #96 on: 09 August 2023, 05:18:35 »
LCT-1M.

Who needs armor when you have 60,000 LRM5s? ;D

The people being targeted by 60 thousand LRMs certainly do.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #97 on: 09 August 2023, 08:00:28 »
The people being targeted by 60 thousand LRMs certainly do.

I wonder if there is actually any way to fit 30,000 mechs within 21 hex range of a single target... Are there any stacking limits in AT2?

Btw, just to be nitpicky, it would actually be 300 thousand LRMs - 5 per launcher! Or by weight; 2,500 tons of missiles per 10 seconds. :grin:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #98 on: 09 August 2023, 18:33:57 »
You may be interested in the seriously insane videos on YouTube with literally MILLIONS of mooks against slightly less mookish troops defending a strong point.  The literal lakes of blood are eye opening to say the least... ;)

wolfgar

• Captain
  • Wolfson's Heavy Raiders: 3058-3092
« Reply #99 on: 10 August 2023, 19:38:43 »
defending a choke point is historically a winning move, at least until heavy artillery came into play, and even then, it still can win
Wolf wins every fight but one, and in that one he dies, his fangs locked on the throat of his opponent.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #100 on: 10 August 2023, 19:40:48 »
That's the main complaint I have against most of those videos: lack of artillery...

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #101 on: 10 August 2023, 20:17:30 »
If they feel like inventing it early, the UM-AIV UrbanMech is only 2,488,200 c-bill equivalent.  How many of those could they buy?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #102 on: 10 August 2023, 20:32:48 »
LOTS! ;D

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #103 on: 11 August 2023, 06:11:08 »
A Saladin with an Arrow IV instead of the AC/20 is only about 1.1 million... ;)

DragonKhan55

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #104 on: 11 August 2023, 16:39:08 »
A Saladin with an Arrow IV instead of the AC/20 is only about 1.1 million... ;)

And an Arrow IV is such a versatile, nasty weapon.

ASFs? Air Defense Arrow.

Mechs? Homing Arrow.

Infantry/Vehicles? Inferno Arrow/Cluster Arrow.

Deter pursuers? Arrow IV Thunder/FASCAM.

Urban Renewal? Davy Crockett-M

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #105 on: 11 August 2023, 18:12:02 »
Artillery covereth a multitude of sins... ;)

Hotpoint

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #106 on: 15 August 2023, 07:23:06 »
Part XI - Section 1 of 2

----------

"Superstition has always been a part of a sailor's life whether they crew a wooden sailing vessel or a starship.  Some ships are seen as being lucky, or unlucky, and a rare few as both depending upon the situation. In the case of the SLS Saratoga she was thought to be beset by weird timing and coincidences that saw her frequently being a pivot point around which major events occured. Starting during the Amaris War, a poor decision by her then captain, who was leading a squadron of warships as part of a fleet going up against the Keid SDS system, resulted in the entire squadron being caught out of position and destroyed, except the Saratoga herself which was only crippled. This could be seen as entirely negative, but, and only because so many drones went chasing after Saratoga's squadron, the rest of the 16th Fleet was able to quickly smash through the rest of them to win the wider battle. It was the damage she took at Keid, only partially repaired before Kerensky's Exodus, that saw Saratoga eventually mothballed in one of the Clan Boneyards where years later she was 'borrowed' for Operation Switchback during which the fortuitous timing of her jumpdrive failure may have saved Clan Wolverine from utter destruction.

In one of the stranger examples of sychronicity involving Saratoga, for a while after the battle of Keid she was nicknamed 'The Cockroach' because, despite the fierce pounding she took at the hands of multiple M3 and M5 drones, she just wouldn't die. Half a century later her crew adopted the Mexican folk song 'La Cucaracha' as the ship's song, and for completely unrelated reasons.

To quote one of her crew, serving upon Saratoga wasn't a job, it was a ****** adventure."

Admiral Bud Robertson III, Tales of the Hegemony Navy - Niops Press, 3025

----------

(FLASHBACK) Zenith Jump-point - Isfahan (Draconis Combine) – 2825

A parched desert world on the edge of the periphery, Isfahan had once enjoyed a rising population and a growing economy but in the last few years it had fallen so far that it did not even appear on some star-charts anymore. Like many systems in a similar situation this was because of war, although strangely the fighting had never actually reached as far as there. Isfahan was a destitute and failing colony because five-hundred light years away the Free Worlds League had unleashed thermonuclear fire on a factory complex in order to keep it out of the hands of the Capellan Confederation.

The lack of a cheap and reliable source of fresh water for both human consumption and supporting agriculture had held back the development of many worlds within the Inner Sphere, and indeed had once prevented some planets being colonised at all. All that had changed however with the invention of the Jamerson-Ulikov Water Purifier in 2622, simply connect one or more of the large industrial-sized units to a power-source, fusion reactors being commonly tasked for the purpose, and they would happily convert seawater to fresh water in vast quantities at a low operating cost.

An extremely high-tech machine, one that was complicated and difficult to manufacture, the J-U system also required frequent filter replacement and a steady supply of replacement parts for its mechanical pumps. Fortunately, the advanced manufacturing technology of the Terran Hegemony was more than up to the job, and long production runs kept the system affordable to everyone, thus within a century of its invention the Jamerson-Ulikov was seen everywhere.

This all changed in 2811 when the Free Worlds League tried and failed to conquer Brownsville, a former world of the Terran Hegemony. Not wanting to risk it falling to the Capellan Confederation instead, that state having also attempted to absorb it recently, the League cratered the industrial heartland of Brownsville and went home.

Unfortunately for Isfahan, and many other worlds that relied upon the Jamerson-Ulikov Water Purifier, the things were primarily made on Brownsville which meant that replacement filters and spare parts were no longer available, at least not affordably.

It's worth noting that several worlds within the Free Worlds League itself were utterly screwed by this unpleasant turn of events. Though clearly not as screwed as the poor unfortunate people living on Brownsville, not that sympathy for them was as great as it might have been if the planet had not, unusually for a Terran Hegemony planet, sided with Amaris against Kerensky.

Whether or not what happened to Brownsville was extreme karma in the form of thermonuclear fire was of little concern to the people of Isfahan. They now found themselves not only dealing with a severe economic downturn, because of the fighting going on elsewhere messing with interstellar commerce, but now they couldn't get enough water to irrigate their crops as well. Most people left if they could, and if it wasn't for the trickle of gold that could be extracted from the desert sands so would have everyone else.

None of this really mattered in practical terms to the captain or crew of the Saratoga when it jumped into the system, following the planned series of jumps the vessel had been assigned. Part search-pattern, and partly an attempt at misdirection, the sequence had started at Porthos, a periphery world near Santander and then took a route calling in at other inhabited systems just coreward of the Combine border including Labbezanga, Durham and Cable. Eventually the deliberately circuitous route would lead to Isfahan itself, a world that was, at least nominally, within the Inner Sphere and ruled by House Kurita, even if it was hardly Luthien.

The Draconis Combine were undoubtedly looking for Yukon and if they could be lured into looking into a sector of space that was close enough to where they had been raiding, but far enough away that they wouldn't start poking around the Theta Carinae Cluster any time soon, that was ideal. There was just enough interstellar traffic on the edge of the Inner Sphere that they should get noticed by someone, but just in case they were deliberately lax when it came to sending transmissions that could be picked up by anyone listening.

The various rumours of the 'Canada Tribe' that had reached the Switchback Fleet were vague, but they did seem consistent in a couple of areas. These being firstly that the Tribe ran without their IFF system turned on and secondly that they had painted over the names and markings on their ships, including the destroyer their two dropships and aerospace fighters operated from.

If someone had gotten close enough to Yukon that they knew she was a destroyer then it was likely known that she was a Riga II class vessel, although the stories didn't mention that fact. If this was the case that meant that only one vessel available to Franklin Hallis could be sent out to both look for Yukon and perhaps attract unwelcome attention away from her.

Saratoga was being shadowed in interstellar space by the Lola III class Protecteur. Having belonged to the 295th she could not be sent out alone to look for Yukon herself, the Switchback Fleet not having fielded any of that class so Yukon would likely assume she was hostile if they met. In the event Saratoga ran into something she couldn't handle she could immediately jump again, using her L-F battery to rejoin Protecteur. Between the two of them the destroyers could wipe the floor with most anything the Draconis Combine Admiralty had in service, with a Riga II making up for what it lacked in main-battery firepower with her large aerospace fighter complement and the Lola III being armed and armoured practically to cruiser standards.

Running without IFF as Yukon was, and with her own external markings also painted over, Saratoga did not deploy her jump-sail on arrival at Isfahan and began to recharge her drive from her fusion powerplant instead. Unfortunately, the engineering limitations of the jump-core meant that you couldn't safely charge it any faster than you could with the sail, and so it was just as long and tedious procedure as ever, trickling power into the Kearny-Fuchida drive for days.

Saving her Lithium-Fusion batteries in case she needed a quick getaway Saratoga scanned for any other vessels or radio sources in the system but other than detecting stray radio signals from Kerman, the largest city on Isfahan, and a few smaller towns, everything came up blank. The day before she left, the next system they planned to visit was Richmond a little deeper into space ruled by the Dragon, Saratoga would make herself very 'noisy' to make absolutely sure she was detected, there being nothing as pointless as a distraction that went unnoticed.

It was so quiet in the Isfahan system that they might as well still be skulking around the periphery. At least Richmond had both a military garrison worthy of the name and an active and a far more active Hyperspace Pulse Generator station that could quickly spread the word of the 'Canada Tribe' being around.

After four days of tedium aboard Saratoga, a period brightened only by a multi-lap race around the main grav-deck that was won by an engineering technician, much to the chagrin of the marines aboard who had bet heavily on their own man, everything suddenly became much less dull as an emergence wave was detected indicating another jumpship was about to arrive.

Calling all hands to action stations and dashing to the bridge Captain Jaime Merino prepared to scramble his aerospace fighter squadrons and ordered nuclear ordinance to be prepared if necessary. Khan Hallis had been clear in his instructions, if you meet the clans and have to blast your way out of there to preserve your ship and crew then do so without hesitation.

When a Tramp class armed-merchantman appeared instead of a warship Merino relaxed a little, though now the Khan's other instructions would come into play, be mysterious, evasive and ideally utterly confusing. Exactly how this should be undertaken was left to the captain's discretion, in fact they were vague enough to feature the phrase 'just play it by ear', but the overall goal was clear, throw people off the trail and muddy the waters. Obfuscation was the aim of the game as the clans might know exactly who and what Yukon and her crew was but the Great Powers of the Inner Sphere should be kept well and truly in the dark.

It was too late to keep totally under the radar, the raiding undertaken by Yukon had seen to that, but if they played their cards right they could at least keep the Inner Sphere thoroughly baffled and perplexed, which was almost as good.

"Receiving an IFF signal from the Tramp Sir" the tactical officer reported, looking a little surprised at what was coming up on his display screen. "Ship is identified as the Papsukkal and has a modified SLCOMNET registry code that flags it as belonging to ComStar."

"ComStar? What are they doing out here I wonder?" Merino asked rhetorically.

"HPG installation or maintenance maybe?" the ship's navigator suggested.

Merino considered that theory for a moment "You could be right" he reasoned. From what they had learned since arriving in the Inner Sphere SLCOMNET, under its rebranding as 'ComStar' was considered a neutral power with everyone accepting their sovereignty and control of the Hyperspace Pulse Generator network. They had all even agreed and signed a treaty along those lines, Jerome Blake's Communications Protocol of 2787, one of scarce few cases where all the Successor States had reached an accord on something. Since ComStar was neutral, and everyone needed them, they could likely go wherever they liked unmolested. If you messed with them they could simply cut you off from their services, which would give your rivals a major advantage over you until you apologised and/or made restitution.

Everyone knew how a Hyperspace Pulse Generator worked in theory but that wasn't much help if you needed to manufacture, repair or even just run one yourself. SLCOMNET had been careful to keep the precise details of their equipment a secret, hence you either accepted ComStar's monopoly or you did without easy interstellar communication.

"Are we ready to jump if necessary?" Merino checked.

"Aye Sir" both the navigator and helmsman reported immediately.

"Receiving a hail from the ComStar vessel" the communications officer reported. "They're close enough that you shouldn't notice much comms lag if you want to respond."

"Alright then, let's see what Jerome Blake's minions have to say for themselves. At least we can be sure word of the 'Canada Tribe' will spread far and wide after an encounter with these people" he reasoned then paused for a while. "I'm going to mess with them" he decided, "anyone that laughs loud enough for them to hear once the channel is open gets put out of the airlock" he threatened. "Put them on loudspeaker" he ordered, activating the microphone on his own headset.

"I repeat. This is the Papsukkal to the unidentified warship. Are you receiving us?"

"We are receiving your transmission, Papsukkal, please state your business" Merino replied.

"Thank you for responding to our hail. We represent ComStar and have been looking for you for some time" the jumpship signalled back in return. "Several of our ships are involved in the search, I consider us blessed to have been the one to find you."

Merino frowned, why in the name of the First Lord was ComStar out looking for Yukon, he wondered? "If this is about that unpaid phone-bill I already told your collections department that the cheque is in the post and that I refuse in principle to do wire-transfers until you improve your end-point encryption" he replied deadpan, most of the bridge crew grinning in response.

A lengthy pause at the other end was eventually broken by a very fake laugh. "Very droll" the ComStar vessel responded, the tone of voice indicating they thought it was anything but. To be fair Merino doubted he was the first person to yank their chains in a similar fashion, or the thousandth. "If we can be serious for a moment may I safely assume that I am speaking with the commanding officer of the vessel generally referred to as belonging to the Canada Tribe?"

Merino smiled. Yep all Riga II destroyers look alike alright, he thought to himself with satisfaction before being struck by inspiration. "Canada Tribe? No, you must be looking for one of our sister-ships" he replied. "We're the Mexico Tribe" he announced. "Buenos dias" he added politely.

Another lengthy pause at the other end of the line presumably indicated that the ComStar personnel knew they were being messed with, although they certainly misunderstood exactly how. "Given that we can logically dismiss the notion that there is more than one Riga II class destroyer preying upon the Draconis Combine in this region of space, can we please dispense with the blindingly obvious masquerade?" came a request that sounded pretty heartfelt.

"Nonsense? Mascarada? What are you accusing us of gringo?" Merino replied, putting on an exaggerated fake Mexican accent that he was certain his grandfather originally from Oaxaca would have beaten him with a stick for.

"You know who we are" the Comstar vessel persisted, "but since you are not transmitting your IFF codes, and the markings and insignia on your hull have been erased we cannot say the same" they observed. "This would be a far more civilised and productive exchange if you identified yourselves, even if only by using your regular nom de guerre for now."

Merino took a breath to steady himself mentally for his response, he had to do it without laughing or it just wouldn't be as funny, or as bamboozling and annoying as he was aiming for, as he continued with the accent. "Identity markings? Insignia?" he responded with evident distaste at the very idea of such in his tone. "You mean like badges?" he asked. "We ain't got no badges. WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING BADGES!" he practically bellowed the last line.

The helmsman corpsed and had to stick his fist in his mouth to stop himself from breaking out into convulsive laughter.

Merino would have happily given a year off his life to see and hear the reaction over there on the ComStar jumpship. After yet another lengthy pause it seemed that whoever was in charge had decided to push on regardless with their original plan. "Since only the Star League Navy ever fielded the Riga II, and the only ones that we know of that survived the Amaris War left with General Aleksandr Kerensky, we assume you are affiliated with his people" the ComStar vessel signalled. "Rest assured that ComStar considers Kerensky as a friend and ally, since it was he that arranged for other SLDF forces under Major-General Lauren Hayes to assist our founder Jerome Blake to take control of Terra, protecting it for the good of all mankind. Is it possible to make contact with him through you?"

"Kerensky? Sounds Russian. You should try the Russia Tribe. Last I heard they were heading for Kazanka to pick up some vodka" Merino advised. "I prefer tequila myself" he added.

They were still pointedly ignoring the obvious sarcasm and continued to ask questions about things they were curious about. "We've noticed that you have only attacked government-owned ships and facilities in the Draconis Combine, is there a reason for this?"

"We haven't attacked anyone in the Draconis Combine" Merino denied the accusation, honestly though they were naturally certain he was lying. "That was the Canada Tribe" he told them sincerely. "We asked them about it though and they told us it was 'Because of the Kentares Massacre, Eh' and said something about the Dracs decapitating innocent civilians with swords which seems more brutal that just nuking them" he continued, before pausing a moment. "Then they repeated themselves in French" he added, trying to sound earnest and barely succeeding. "At least I think it was French. Apart from English yo solo hablo español."

The ComStar people must have decided there was a grain of truth to be extracted from that. "Were you originally from the Federated Suns?" they asked. "The Davions are a mix of English and French nobility, and Canada is a mix of English and French people, is that it?"

"Ay, chihuahua! For the last time we are not the Canada Tribe, we're the Mexican Tribe, pendejo" Merino replied, almost wishing they could see his smirk.

"Persisting in this infantile pretence does neither of us any favours" the man from ComStar on the other end of the line stated firmly, starting to sound very annoyed. "We came as civilised men and women in good faith offering to render assistance, if that proved necessary, or perhaps even shelter and succour, but you seem undeserving of our magnanimity. Would you have preferred to encounter a warship in service of Kurita who would have dealt with you in a far less measured and reasonable manner?"

That was interesting, Merino thought to himself. Despite their earlier description of Yukon 'preying upon' the Combine they seemed all to willing to ignore that just so long as they could get their hooks into the Canada Tribe, generous offers of aid coming ahead of vague threats. Presumably they wanted intelligence, or perhaps to get their hands on a valuable warship, or most likely both. Captain Merino doubted they would really be all that happy to see the return of Aleksandr Kerensky, ComStar had developed a power-base on Terra amidst the vacuum left by the SLDF's exodus, and people with power don't generally like to give it up.

ComStar naturally had no idea that Kerensky Senior now rested in his tomb aboard the warship McKenna's Pride orbiting Strana Mechty, having died of a heart attack two decades earlier. He had died relatively young by the standards of a man born in the Terran Hegemony, being only a hundred years old at his death, although at least he did better than Jerome Blake who passed at a mere eighty. From what undercover teams of Wolverines conducting covert intelligence-gathering operations had learned of contemporary Inner Sphere politics, it seemed that Blake's replacement, Conrad Toyama, was making waves as he sought to expand ComStar's influence more overtly with several diplomatic initiatives to the Successor States. Toyama, unlike Blake, was not a technician and bureaucrat that knew he only reached the heady heights of power he did because Amaris killed everyone in SLCOMNET more senior than him, and this seemingly resulted in a very different style of leadership. It was certainly one that was outwardly more proactive, and perhaps clandestinely too.

"If you were civilised you wouldn't accuse us of lying about not being the Canada Tribe" Merino retorted. "Rest assured we will warn the rest of the United Tribes of your insult to our honour, cabron. If you were more than a lowly telephone repairman, I would demand satisfaction and run you through with my blade, but as a descendant of the great Zorro himself I would not sully one of my rapiers with your peon blood" he declared snootily. "Or one of my Tomahawks or Gotha's either."

Two of the six aerospace fighter squadrons in his flight bays actually were Rapiers, which to Merino made it all even funnier. They were the Wolverine-upgraded model of the RPR-100b with Improved Pulse Lasers and LRM launchers which had seen good service during both Operation Klondike and the Secession.

"This is farcical. You are quite clearly dissembling at best, outright spinning an egregious falsehood at worst by purporting to not be the so-called Canada Tribe. To feign offence at being called out upon your lies is rank hypocrisy on your part. There is only one Riga II class destroyer in the entire Inner Sphere and you are aboard it" the speaker aboard the ComStar jumpship stated indignantly. "We know you are the Canada Tribe, you know it, if they were here everyone in the entire galaxy would know it."

"Ha! That is where you are wrong again telefonista estúpido" Merino retorted. "The United Tribes have a shipyard building great masses of Riga II's at our base in the Lambda Orionis nebula" he announced, simply naming just about the most distant and hard-to-search place he could think of in case they actually believed him and went looking.

Presumably someone over there was checking where the hell that actually was because the next response took a couple of minutes to arrive. "More lies. It would take over a year to get there from here" the ComStar vessel dismissed Merino's claim.

"For you primitivos perhaps, but only a third of that for us thanks to our twin lithium-fusion-batteries that allow us to travel an incredible ninety light-years a week. Moving more swiftly than my forebear's mighty steed Tornado as we thunder across the stars" he declared. "Why, on a good day even the great Speedy Gonzales himself would eat our dust" he added, barely managing not to join in himself as his navigator involuntarily burst out laughing until he could choke it back down.

They obviously overheard the laughter on the other ship. "ComStar will not be mocked nor made a fool of" came a seething response to the clowning. "From your unseemly and unprofessional attitude we can only assume you are deserters from the Star League Navy and have been raiding and acting like pirates because that is all you are!"

Captain Merino smirked. "That is foul slander, and now, after you have accused us of being faithless deserters, we cannot ever be amigos you uncouth hijo de puta" he replied, feigning hurt feelings. "We are not now, have never been, and never will be traitors to the cause. We remain eternally loyal to the United Tribes, the great Pancho Villa and the memory of the martyred President Francisco Madero" he declared haughtily. "Down with Huerta, Amaris and Jerome Blake. Viva la revolución!"

Merino gestured to his bridge crew to join in and was rewarded with an enthusiastically echoed "Viva la revolución!" from all of them except the Executive Officer who was facepalming because of the absurdity of it all when Merino made his gesture.

"How dare you insult the memory of Jerome Blake by linking him to Stefan Amaris. Blake's foresight and vision is all that stands between us and a new Dark Age!" came a clearly incensed response from the ComStar jumpship. "He is the Blessed Founder and Joshua Hoshiko was his prophet."

Having no idea who Joshua Hoshiko was, Captain Merino made a mental note to check later. It turned out the man was Minister of Communications and Director of SLCOMNET when the HPG was invented centuries before. Apparently these ComStar people had already come up with their own prophets to venerate, perhaps before too long they might even turn into a full-fledged pseudo religion with saints and arcane rituals too, Merino had pondered for a while before dismissing that notion as extremely far-fetched. "Only the Holy Catholic Church is worthy of such devotion. You should confess your idolatrous pagan blasphemy to a sanctified priest and make penance for your sins" he told them. "Just make sure that the priest is not one of those heretics from the New Avalon Catholic Church or you would risk extending your time in purgatory, or even face eternal damnation" he warned them helpfully.

"We are done with you, at least for now. Be advised that unless you behave in a more rational and sincere manner during your next encounter with ComStar then your bridges with us will be burnt for all time and you will have to face the tender mercies of the Draconis Combine alone."

"The Mexican Tribe is never alone. Our hermanos in the United Tribes will always be there to support us" Merino replied pompously.

"For the love of Blake will you stop pretending to not be the Canada…" the ComStar ship was cut off abruptly as the communications officer on Saratoga pulled the plug.

"We are detecting an inbound jumpship Sir" the operations officer reported to Captain Merino. "Looks like too much mass to be another civilian jumpship" he added, looking at his display. "Too much to be a Drac Samarkand as well" he continued to update the bridge. "Could be a Narukami class destroyer" he suggested, a best guess given the lack of information.

"Good thing the Mexican Tribe keeps a couple of Santa Ana's under their sombreros, and we remembered the Alamo's… if not fondly" Merino said wryly. "We'll try to jump out, if we can't we'll make a fight of it" he said with determination. "WOLVERINES!"

"WOLVERINES!" the bridge crew echoed.

"Jumpship emerging from hyperspace. Vessel is identified as… holy shit it's a Riga II, no IFF."

"Madre de dios. It's the Yukon" Merino said quietly to himself disbelievingly, wishing he still wore the crucifix his mother gave him. What were the chances of them appearing right now?
"A dread fear rests deep in the heart of Clan Coyote that one day a lawyer will arrive on Tamaron talking about intellectual property rights, the Mercury II and the Coyotl omnimech and this will herald the end of the Clan as the Not-Named sue their asses into bankruptcy for patent infringement" - The True History of the Clans (Dark Caste Press: 3050)

Hotpoint

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #107 on: 15 August 2023, 07:26:38 »
Part XI - Section 2 of 2

----------

"Receiving an encoded tight-beam transmission from vessel identifying itself as Yukon, signal confirmed as using Clan Wolverine recognition codes and encryption" the communications officer reported. "Text only" he continued, reading the data appearing on his display before grinning. "They've been routinely checking the rally point at Theta Carinae and found Khan Hallis there waiting for them the last time they poked their noses into the cluster" he continued. "They volunteered to go collect us before the fleet set off back to Camelot. Thought they owed us one for playing decoy. General Hallis gave them our intended mission route. Star Captain Francis on Yukon sends his complements, Sir."

"Not as inexplicably an unlikely coincidence as them just happening to decide to visit Isfahan when we did then" Captain Merino said with a sigh of relief that he hadn't just witnessed a near-miracle of probability. "Send their captain my complements in return and tell them it's great to see them return to the fold" he instructed. This was turning into one hell of a day.

"Hey, they rescued the kits. Managed to get them the hell out of Dodge before Nicky K could get his filthy hands on them" the comms officer told the bridge crew, grinning.

"The kits?" Merino queried.

"Sibling Company Gamma" The comms officer explained. "They transferred them to the Khan's flagship."

"In that case tell Star Captain Francis the drinks are on us" Merino replied, smiling.

"Hope he likes tequila" the navigator joked.

The Comms officer received a new transmission. "They're asking about our ComStar companions" he reported.

"Send them a compressed digital audio file of our conversation with the telephone company" Merino instructed him. "They'll love it, he said confidently just as a thought occurred to him. "You know, if we were surprised by Yukon turning up can you imagine how Blake's fan club is feeling right now?" he asked rhetorically. "At least we knew we really weren't the ship that's been sticking it to the Dracs" he added, chuckling as he wondered if Francis on Yukon could manage a Canadian accent, or maybe a different one?

Over on the ComStar vessel the Precentor in charge was still trying to get to grips with the fact that there was more than one unmarked Riga II class destroyer operating in this part of space, which meant that the one he had been talking to might not, in fact, be the 'Canada Tribe'. Unless they both were, or, in the worst case scenario, perhaps even neither of them were.

Was the 'Mexico Tribe' really a thing? He had been one-hundred-percent certain they were just messing with him, but then he had also been equally certain that there was only a single Riga II out here. What about the 'Russia Tribe'? Was that an actual thing too? Surely not?

How many of them were there anyway?

As his subordinates looked to him to make a decision as to what they should do next, he was temporarily at a loss how to proceed until the second Riga II suddenly started transmitting unencrypted on an open wide-band channel, not directly to the ComStar ship but they could overhear it readily enough.

"G'Day, how are you mezcal-swilling tamale-munchers doing? Australia Tribe here." The newcomer asked in perhaps the worst antipodean accent this side of Altair.

"Ah, Australia, good to see you amigo!" the first Riga II responded, Mexican accent very much in force. "Out looking for beer? Or senoritas?"

"Nah Mate, trying to find New Zealand. The drongo was supposed to meet us at Alpheratz but he never showed up. You seen any sign of him?"

"Nada."

"Bugger. No worries, guess I'll have to keep looking. Who's that bloke with you?"

"ComStar. They're out here looking for Canada. Don't help them, they're odioso."

"Crikey! You don't say? I ran into Canada a fortnight back. Traded him some vegemite for some maple syrup and heaps of poutine."

"Is verdad?"

"Fair dinkum. Say, you got any time this arvo to help me look for the Kiwi? He might be heading for Valentina. Give it a fair go and there's a few tinnies in it for you. Sending you jump-coordinates."

"Bueno."

"Bonzer. Let's go!"

"Vamonos!" the first Riga II gave its final response as the two warships engaged their Kearny-Fuchida drives and jumped out leaving the ComStar Tramp behind on its own.

Alright, they were definitely ****** with him, the Precentor decided, which didn't mean for certain that there weren't really more than two of the sons-of-bitches out there unfortunately.

A horrible realisation suddenly struck the ComStar official. He was going to have to report this bizarre encounter to his superior, Precentor Emilio Travis, who was in overall command of the search operation. Worse than that Travis might insist on him personally reporting it upwards to the Precentor ROM Michelle Dupreas, or even Primus Conrad Toyama himself.

If either Dupreas or Toyama were entirely humourless, which seemed a distinct possibility, this could go very, very badly.

Maybe it would have been better if he hadn't made it through Toyama's purge of ComStar back in 2819 when he first took over, the Precentor considered bleakly? Being stuck for a few years in one of those re-education camps didn't seem quite as unappealing right now.

No, wait, there was a way out of this, the Precentor realised as he was struck by an inspired idea. All he needed to do was volunteer to immediately go check out the Lambda Orionis Nebula, just in case the 'Mexican Tribe' mentioning it was a double bluff intended to make ComStar look elsewhere. That would earn him at least two years stay of execution and with luck a big war would break out and nobody would care about a couple of mysterious warships captained by wannabe comedians anymore by the time he got back.

He was wrong about another major conflict breaking out again quite so soon, and the Primus still wanted to talk to him personally about these 'United tribes' when he eventually got back to Terra. Unfortunately, Conrad Toyama wasn't interested in seeing his very pretty and artistic photographs of the Lambda Orionis Nebula either, so that didn't work as an ice-breaker.

----------

Note from the Author:

Isfahan, and many other worlds where water was fresh water was scarce, relied upon the Jamerson-Ulikov Water Purifier. Unfortunately the Terran Hegemony world that specialised in making such things was Brownsville which was razed by the Free Worlds League in 2811 eventually resulting in a lot of systems being depopulated and abandoned. The First Succession War caused a lot of indirect deaths even on planets that weren't blasted back to the Stone Age by nuclear weapons.

In canon ComStar, and Conrad Toyama himself, were obsessed with the appearance of the Minnesota Tribe and sent out a fleet of jumpships to go find them (they suceeded, at least in part, salvaging the Zughoffer Weir and renaming it Blake's Sword). Weirdly, encountering a couple of Riga II's here should be less perturbing than the battleships the actual Minnesota Tribe were running around with, at least in terms of a potential military threat. As an inexplicable and confusing encounter however, the 'Mexico Tribe' and the 'Australia Tribe' is going to drive ROM analysts up the wall for decades to come!

At this point in history ComStar is still in transition from a secular telecommunications concern to the pseudo-religious entity it would become (for example they didn't start making their technicians wear robes instead of jumpsuits as uniforms until after 2837 under Toyama's successor, Raymond Karpov). It was under Toyama that this process began in earnest however, with any opposition to his rule and vision being dealt with harshly and decisively. One of the first things he did after the death of Jerome Blake in 2819 was to organise a purge, later known as The Purification, during which the head of ROM, Michelle Dupreas, rid him of his opponents.

I'm running with the notion that the Saratoga which fought at Keid as part of Operation Chieftain was the same ship as the Saratoga that the Wolverine's took out of the Clan boneyards for Switchback. The battering she took at Keid being the reason why she had a quirky jumpdrive (since fixed) lines up pretty well in my opinion.

Yukon was the last Wolverine vessel to escape Clan Space. On his way out Star Captain Francis rescued Sibling Company Gamma, one of the earliest batches of Wolverines to come out of the Iron Wombs. They also had an interesting encounter with Clan Ghost Bear on Liny, a moon of Arcadia (when he found out that the Wolverines he ran into there were mostly just kids gathering supplies the Ghost Bear officer in charge let them go because slaughtering children wasn't something he was prepared to do, Trial of Annihilation or not).

Captain Merino's Mexican ancestry does not mean he speaks much Spanish, but he made up for it with enthusiasm (and yes, both he and I know the "badges? badges?" line is a misquote of the dialogue in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre). Also it's meant to be 'kits' not 'kids', young wolverines are called kits much like young foxes are called cubs.

Finallly, have no fear muchachos, the Mexican Tribe Saratoga will ride again! Vaya con dios, amigos!

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #108 on: 15 August 2023, 17:21:47 »
THAT is how a good conversation is done! :D

Thought I was kind of expecting a "boring conversation anyway (pew!)" at the end... ;)

Letsparty

• Recruit
« Reply #109 on: 15 August 2023, 17:24:08 »
Absolutely hilarious.
Can we have some more please :)

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #110 on: 15 August 2023, 18:54:35 »
Good thing they didn't see the Minnesota Division patches.  "We don't need no stinking badgers!" would have been a little too on the nose, eve if they belong a state over.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #111 on: 15 August 2023, 19:01:05 »
and I thought the Badges was from here
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #112 on: 15 August 2023, 20:38:51 »
Brilliant play!  That Captain deserves a star... :D

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #113 on: 15 August 2023, 20:40:47 »
Nicely trolled.

Hotpoint

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #114 on: 16 August 2023, 04:43:30 »
Good thing they didn't see the Minnesota Division patches.  "We don't need no stinking badgers!" would have been a little too on the nose, eve if they belong a state over.

UHF - We don't need no stinking badgers! (YouTube)

Captain Mitchell and the crew of the Badger are deeply offended.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #115 on: 16 August 2023, 06:41:16 »
UHF - We don't need no stinking badgers! (YouTube)

Captain Mitchell and the crew of the Badger are deeply offended.

But aren't they too busy fighting off the hyperspsce squids to notice?

Hotpoint

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #116 on: 22 August 2023, 08:02:38 »
Part XII - Section 1 of 2

----------

"As soon as Jenna Romanov started the tune playing on the radio, the dropship captain had it piped into the mech bays and the old geezers from the 295th started singing along. Then some of the kits joined in as well, I guess they must have learned the lyrics from their parents and grandparents who fought for the SLDF against Amaris. By the time we hit atmo at Algenib everyone was singing it, and I'm told it was happening on the other dropships too. After that it became a tradition to always sing it before we went into battle, or even just a small skirmish, the other tradition we kept after Algenib being to always bring a battery of two of Vali's and at least one squadron of Stukas because those things chew up entrenched defensive positions and spit them out."

Major Karin Kumar - 2849CE

----------

NAS Ian Cameron – JP-P-815 System Nadir Point – 2829

The first Star Lord class jumpship in the transport fleet to be re-named, and then adorned with the Red Cameron Star that Niops had recently adopted as its military crest, the Niops Association Ship Ian Cameron had set out for this operation ahead of the others. This wasn't just because she was named for the first man to rule the Star League, it was because the paint wasn't even dry yet on the NAS Nicholas Cameron, and the other Star Lords in the fleet weren't even that far along in the process.

Massing over a quarter-of-a-million tons, and capable of hauling half-a-dozen dropships along with her, the Ian Cameron was running with empty docking collars and had been since it left the Niops system, although that situation should be changing imminently.

She had arrived at the uninhabited JP-P-815 system eight days ago, along with her companion and escort ship for the journey, this being the Congress Class Frigate SLS Rickenbacker which unlike the Ian Cameron was in fact carrying dropships on her own two collars. At least according to her IFF and external markings she wasn't the Rickenbacker however, she was the SLS James Sever, and there was a story to that.

While operating out of Camelot Command they had found the battered hulk of the James Sever drifting in high orbit around a star in what had once been the Finmark Province of the Rim Worlds Republic. From the looks of her she had been caught without anti-fighter escort by at least a couple of Rim Words Republic Navy corvettes supported by multiple aerospace fighters and had lost the fight, badly.

So notoriously weak against fighter threats that the Pentagon assault dropship was developed specifically to defend the Congress class against them, why the James Sever seemed to have been running without any escort was a mystery. What was known upon her rediscovery in 2826 however was that she had been so thoroughly pummelled and blasted that she was completely beyond repair.

After being stripped of anything still worth salvaging in terms of spare parts, which wasn't much, the SLS James Sever was shunted into a rapidly decaying orbit that would soon dump her into the star and her sister ship the SLS Rickenbacker, would get to pretend to be her. This gave Rickenbacker more utility to Niops than she would have had otherwise as, unlike several other vessels in the fleet, it now wouldn't be a catastrophe if she was seen by outsiders.

For this operation Rickenbacker/James Sever still lacked a Pentagon, but the Titan carrier dropship she was hauling more than made up for it. The Titan had herself been salvaged from the former site of another battle that took place during the Amaris War then repaired at Camelot, and she was currently embarking three squadrons of aerospace fighters that were normally assigned to Zughoffer Weir. The Intruder dropship on the frigate's other docking collar wouldn't be as much help against fighters, though she was perhaps still better equipped to deal with them them than an unescorted Congress, and was there to transport a company of marines.

On arrival at JP-P-815 both Ian Cameron and 'James Sever' had deployed their jump-sails and began charging their Kearny-Fuchida Drives for their final jumps onto Algenib once the rest of the spacecraft assigned to the expedition caught up with them. With jump-drives now recharged, and jumpsails being drawn back in, if everything was going according to plan then another Star Lord, most likely the aforementioned Nicholas Cameron, should arrive any time now to transfer over her dropships.

Like the vast majority of stars JP-P-815 only appeared on specialist maps used by jumpship navigators who couldn't always plot routes where every stop along the way was a colonised system, or else on the stellar atlases of astronomers. Most people were only interested in the locations of places worth going, these being inhabited worlds with populations large enough to warrant at least an occasional visit by a merchant jumpship, but in galactic terms these were few and far between. Of course, it didn't help that three-quarters of stars were Red Dwarfs and what kind of weirdos chose to live around one of those dull and depressing things?

Even in the 'densely populated' Inner Sphere of systems, those within five-hundred light-years of Terra, less than one percent of stars had planets with anyone living on them and once you headed out into the periphery that percentage dropped off fast. In the Magistracy of Canopus or the Taurian Concordat it was more like one system in a thousand, and by Deep Periphery standards even those star-nations were positively teeming with colonised worlds.

The Ian Cameron had jumped out of the Niops system six weeks ago, while the dropships she was about to receive had left there only yesterday. This was the kind of operation you carried out when you didn't want to deploy your ground troops away from home for too long, but you also had more starlift than you knew what to do with. A week after Ian Cameron set out another Star Lord would have done so, then a week later a third would have followed and so on until there was a line of jumpships queued up, each about thirty light-years behind the next, that now stretched from JP-P-815 all the way back to Niops itself. The navy called it a Command Circuit, informally it was called a 'Pony Express', but how it worked was that a jumpship would ferry its dropships to a star system where another jumpship was waiting to collect them. If the second jumpship had its own K-F drive already charged and ready then as soon as the dropships were docked it could jump to the next system, where yet another jumpship was waiting to receive the dropships and so on, and so on.

Normally a long interstellar trip took several weeks or even months, each jump followed by six or more days of re-charging the drive ready for the next, but if you had the jumpships to spare, the time to set it all up beforehand, and had a few dropships needing to get somewhere fast, then a Pony Express style dropship hand-off was the way to go.

Before the fall of the Start League the SLDF used to do this sort of thing frequently, even some of the member states did occasionally, but that was back when jumpships were more common. So many had been lost in the Amaris War, and then the Succession War, that Command Circuits were now more of a novelty than a not completely uncommon means of getting from System A to System G (via B, C, D, E and F) in a day rather than a month-and-a-half.

Sensors reported an inbound jumpship and judging by its apparent mass it was Nicholas Cameron right on time, this being confirmed by the appearance of the Star Lord in question along with the dropships she was hauling.

If it hadn't been the expected vessel, well that would have been for the Rickenbacker and her batteries of naval autocannon to deal with, but as it was IFF signals were confirmed, hails were sent and received, dropships detached from one Star Lord and started heading across to the other, and the captain of the Ian Cameron looked forwards to the arrival of not one but two generals aboard his ship.

Both flag officers arrived on his bridge and were breathing down his neck only minutes after the pair of Overlord dropships they were aboard had docked, this taking place within an hour after Nicholas Cameron jumped in. At least Admiral Bremman had stayed back home, having him along too would have been almost too much to bear, the ship's captain grimly.

Maybe I should have stayed as XO on Saratoga rather than accept promotion and being handed my own ship, the captain of the Ian Cameron thought to himself. It was, after all, only an unarmed transport that would rarely if ever see much action, not a prestigious warship with a chance at glory. Then he remembered those nightmarish evenings on Saratoga where he had to put up with performances by that god-awful Mariachi Band which Captain Merino had permitted the crew to form, and being a mere jumpship captain living a mostly dull, repetitive existence suddenly didn't seem as bad a fate after all.

Seriously, how the hell did they get hold of those sombreros anyway?

Almost as soon as pleasantries were exchanged and hands were shaken on the bridge of the Ian Cameron Jenna Romanov was on the ship's intercom, her words carried onto the dropships by the internal wiring that connected up via the docking collars so everyone could hear her.

"Alright boys and girls, this is it" she began. "Once we make the next jump we're in bandit territory and I expect you all to stay sharp and keep your wits about you" she instructed everyone. "Remember that these ****** aren't your typical cowardly and inept pirate scum" she continued. "They're an entirely different kind of scum and we shouldn't expect them to be pushovers" she warned. "General Hallis, if you would" she bade her second-in-command to take over, handing him the microphone.

"Listen up, kits" Hallis began, "and non-kits" he added, inwardly chuckling at Romanov's eye-roll at his use of the Wolverine's informal descriptor of themselves. "This is your final reminder of who the enemy are, why we can't take them lightly, and why they deserve all the violent mayhem and destruction we can wreak upon them" he stated seriously. "Once we determined that the pirates operating in this region of space were the Blood Rain we knew two things for certain; firstly that we couldn't allow them to continue to prey unchallenged upon periphery worlds from the Illyrian Palatinate to the Magistracy of Canopus, and secondly that it was high time that they faced a reckoning for their past sins as well as their recent ones" he continued. "They might call themselves the Blood Rain now, but they're still the same bunch of murderous war-criminals that they were when they called themselves the 141st Amaris Dragoons. This is the Rim Worlds Republic regiment that brutally supressed civilian uprisings against the traitor's rule on Terra, butchering their way across the American Southwest to do it, and they were the troops used to keep the other Amaris regiments toeing the line. The hardest of the hard liners, Amaris loyalists to their rotten core" he said, fighting back the urge to spit on the deck. "After the liberation they stayed true to themselves, turning pirate and looting and pillaging their way through the Inner Sphere while the Successor States were too busy slugging it out with each other to stop them, but when the fighting petered-out they headed out to the periphery where it was safe, or so they thought. That's how they ended up in our neck-of-the-woods and boy is that going to cost them" Hallis vowed. "They're going to rue the day they came within two-hundred light-years of Niops and we'll make them wish they had taken on the armies of the Successor States instead" he said with a distinct growl, passing the microphone back to Romanov.

"Remember, we could be facing two battalions of these bastards" Romanov added for herself. "Hopefully understrength and with worn-out equipment, but we can't count on that. We know for certain they've seen plenty of action in the last few years, more than the 295th for sure, and that their senior officers are men and women that went up against the SLDF at its height, so don't go thinking they're only fit for bullying farmers in the periphery. If they've kept even some of their old skills and professionalism then they're going to go down hard, which is why we're bringing three battalions of mechs, a combined arms battalion, artillery, and enough air support to block out the ****** sun" she declared. "This will be the first time the 295th and 331st have fought in a real battle side-by-side since we booted these self-same ****** and their friends out of the Terran Hegemony, and it'll the first time we've gone into battle wearing the Red Cameron Star of our new home painted on our machines, so let's make Niops proud and continue to uphold the traditions of the Eleventh Army."

Franklin Hallis unconsciously touched the spot on his fatigues which had once born the insignia of the 331st and Clan Wolverine but now held fabric patches depicting the Niops Star and the medieval gauntlet-and-sword insignia of the Eleventh Army of the SLDF which both divisions had belonged to.

"They'll know us by our reputation, just like we know them from theirs" Romanov continued to talk to the troops. "The Eleventh Army spearheaded the landings on Apollo, their own capital world, and we raised the Cameron Star flag over their homes while they despoiled ours. We went up against their very best in battles waged from the periphery all the way to Terra itself and it wasn't them who held the ground afterwards" she continued. "Mark my words, we will raise the Red Cameron Star over Algenib and finish the job we started on Apollo" she declared. "Romanov out" she added before switching off the microphone.

"You know there's still Von Strang's groupies living up in the former Rim Worlds Republic, the Blood Rain aren't really the last of the Amaris Loyalists out there" Hallis pointed out.

"They're a tribute act led by a war-criminal's cousin, and the Eleventh Army already dealt with that ****** when the 146th Royals pounded Gunthar Von Strang's Eighteenth Amaris Chasseurs into scrap just outside New York" Romanov replied, smiling as she still vividly recalled hearing the welcome news decades before. "The Blood Rain are what's left of the original band" she added, continuing the metaphor.

Oddly enough it wasn't the case that they had ended up in this situation because they had gone out looking for a fight. They had gone out looking, that was certainly true, but because of curiosity and a desire to explore, not so much an urge to flex some military muscle. Using their trio of lithium-fusion-battery equipped Tramp jumpships as fast scouts had enabled the SLDF on Niops to not only explore and patrol an ever-increasing expanse of the periphery, but to do so quickly and safely. If a Tramp transport carrying a Pentagon assault-dropship for protection jumped into a system and found trouble it couldn't handle, or someone they didn't want to talk to, it could just jump right back out using its L-F batteries. During these increasingly routine reconnaissance and survey missions it had become apparent that there was a pirate band operating too close to Niops for comfort, and after making clandestine contact with settlements who had been unfortunate enough to be visited by these miscreants their identity had been soon established.

If it had been most any other group of pirates the SLDF on Niops might not have experienced such an overwhelming gut reaction to go hammer them , and would have likely not advocated to the High Associator with such passion that it was time to clean house in their region of the periphery, but in this case it was the 'Blood Rain', the ****** formerly known as the 141st Amaris Dragoons, and they definitely had it coming. Pirates were legally and by tradition hostis humani generis, enemies of all mankind, anyway and any military unit that encountered them would enthusiastically seek battle at the first opportunity, but these particular guys were a special kind of ****** deserving of a special kind of treatment. Fortunately, the High Associator and the ruling council had not required too much encouragement to approve military action, at least not after being shown images of the methods used by Amaris Dragoons regiments to pacify areas where civilians had risen in rebellion. Given that a favourite tool of the 141st Amaris Dragoons for such operations was the liberal employment of flamethrowers, or their habit of firing flechette and cannister rounds into crowds of demonstrators to break them up, the High Associator's willingness to let his isolationist instincts temporarily slide a little was understandable.

Just about the only other mechwarriors in the entire Inner Sphere that Jenna Romanov would have wanted a piece of more were the mercenary regiment 'Raymond's Redcoats', and that was because they had been pretending to be part of the 295th for over twenty years before the real deal secretly arrived back in the Inner Sphere. Who the Redcoat's actually were she didn't know of course but given their efforts to hide their true identity it was reasonable to assume they were former pirates themselves, or perhaps more leftover Amaris goons with a rep from the war that would get them killed.

With the Redcoats annoyingly out of reach, they were on the payroll of the Lyran Commonwealth at present and well respected by the Archon for their combat skills apparently, and the real 295th still operating incognito, Romanov would just have to vent her frustration on other people instead. Unfortunately for the Blood Rain, bludgeoning them to death seemed like it would be both justified and very cathartic.

Realistically most of the Blood Rain were likely the children, or even grandchildren of the 141st Amaris Dragoons by now, with only the oldest of them directly responsible for the massacres the regiment had perpetrated on Terra in the name of Stefan Amaris, but since they chose to stick with their ****** forebears and live the outlaw life that wouldn't earn them much leeway. Jenna Romanov had issued instructions that civilians were to be spared, and that none of the enemy combatants who surrendered should be summarily executed, but she wasn't going to offer generous terms to encourage any of them to lay down arms. It would be unconditional surrender or death, and surrender would mean hard labour in a mine on Alphard until the government of Niops felt in a merciful mood.

The majority of the people on Niops having had lost relatives, or at least pre-war friends and acquaintances, to Amaris and his bloody dreams of empire, mercy would likely be a long time coming.

Jenna Romanov looked thoughtful as the two generals headed back to their respective Overlord dropships so they could get underway as soon as the jump was made. She would be directly commanding one battlemech battalion, Hallis another, while Colonel Jax Benedict still aboard his own Overlord led the third. The combined-arms battalion under Colonel Rory Fallstaff was loaded on their single Fortress dropship while Colonel Daniel Hammerick had a Triumph loaded with additional combat vehicles, artillery and plenty of ammunition for it. Their sixth dropship was another Titan, bringing three additional squadrons of aerospace fighters to ensure air superiority over the planet. "You know I haven't done this for about half-a-century" Romanov pointed out to Hallis before smiling. "Thanks for letting me and the rest of the old farts pilot the lion's share of the heavies and assaults, our reaction times aren't up to sprinting around in a Hussar or Hermes anymore."

"Pity we had to run this op before the Ulithi delivered all your mechs" Hallis observed.

"Eh, the ones we're borrowing from you are generally better anyway, at least until we can get ours upgraded with your improved weaponry" Romanov replied. "Got to say, a few of my people are stoked that they're finally getting to drive a Royal, getting that title back was the dream of the 295th ever since some damn fools lost it."

"Just as long as they give them back in one piece" Hallis replied, smiling.

"Good thing you had a spare Nightstar I could take out, I'd be lost trying to command in the field without it" Romanov admitted. "I still remember when my own arrived to replace my old Marauder, that was just before Operation Chieftain kicked off. It took me a while to get used to all the extra comms gear and the battle-management system but once I did I couldn't believe I'd ever done without it."

"I just wish I could take out my Pulverizer instead of a Highlander" Hallis replied glumly.

"The Highlander is a decent command mech itself… and it doesn't matter if someone sees one" Romanov reminded him.

"Yeah, I know, it's just that I was so stoked when I got it. You know I actually rode a Shadow-Griffin for years before that" Hallis recalled.

Romanov frowned. "What the hell is a…" she began, "oh, let me guess, half a Shadow-Hawk and half a Griffin bolted together."

"More like two-thirds of a Shadow-Hawk, but the PPC on the Griffin arm came in handy" Hallis told her. "I mean it was ugly as hell, a real Frankenmech of a machine, but it had character."

"But not enough character to be sad when you upgraded your ride to an assault with a new-fangled ERPPC that could blow another mechs head clean off" Romanov surmised as they reached the point in the corridor running along the spine of the jumpship where they would part ways to head for their own dropships.

"Maybe a little sad" Hallis admitted. "Especially when they stripped my old Shadow-Griffin down for spare parts" he said with a sigh. "See you in person again down on Algenib when we raise the Cameron Star over the bastard's corpses" he bade her farewell.

"If any of my geriatrics under your command for this one cause you any strife tell them I'll take away their walking-sticks" Romanov joked.

"Same goes for any of my juveniles under your command, just threaten them with a time-out" Hallis replied, grinning. All three battlemech battalions were made up of a mix of lances from the 331st and 295th because while the latter had plenty of experience, they were, in a word, rusty.

The combined-arms battalion however was almost one-hundred-percent Wolverine, with a token single lance of mechs and one of tanks from the Niops Militia who wanted to show what they could do. Even with their Terran Hegemony anti-agathic treatments men and women who were now mostly in their seventies, eighties and even nineties don't make for the best infantry, humping around with rifle, pack, helmet and body-armour was a young person's game.

An L-F Tramp sent to scout ahead, arriving at Algenib too far out for its emergence wave to be detected, had confirmed from signal monitoring that the Blood Rain were still present. Their dropships still down on the ground at their base on Algenib and their jumpships at the zenith point around the star. They seemed to follow a pattern of behaviour, go on a campaign of raiding for a few months then return to their current home in the ass-in of nowhere until supplies ran low again.

The Amaris Dragoons turned pirates operated three jumpships. The smallest was a Merchant Class they had picked up somewhere, the second a Star Lord of their very own, but the third was something special and was the main reason the Rickenbacker had tagged along for this operation.

The Royalty class jumpship had been produced in fair number for the military of the Rim Worlds Republic, though most had been destroyed by the SLDF during the Amaris War. Despite being about the same size as a Star Lord it could only carry four dropships to a Star Lords six, with the spare mass and volume devoted to fairly heavy armament and armour for a non-warship instead. It also had internal flight-bays large enough to hold at least two squadrons of aerospace fighters as well as shuttlecraft for boarding actions.

A Royalty was no match for an actual warship, not as long as the warship had enough fighter support anyway, but it would eviscerate most any other transport jumpship and the thing had likely been the Blood Rains ace-in-the-hole in the years since they fled Terra ahead of several divisions of angry SLDF soldiers.

If the armed jumpship decided to try and make a fight of it the Rickenbacker was under orders not to pussyfoot around trying to take it intact, just to pound the damn thing with large calibre naval guns until it surrendered or was reduced to a debris field. Meanwhile assault shuttles full of SLDF marines, supported by aerospace fighters from the Titan, would be dispatched to take control of the pirate transports.

While Rickenbacker and her two dropships jumped to the zenith point of Algenib to capture or destroy the opposition jumpships, Ian Cameron would instead jump to a Lagrange 'Pirate-point' closer to the target planet, the nickname for such non-standard jump-points being amusingly ironic for this particular operation. By greatly reducing the enemy's opportunity to prepare for the assault it was hoped friendly casualties could be reduced still further, particularly as the Blood Rain would clearly not be expecting someone to suddenly drop in on them all guns blazing all the way out here.

If it wasn't for the fact that the pirates were known to take slaves from the worlds they raided Romanov might have been tempted to have the navy simply obliterate them from space with an orbital bombardment. If you accepted the deaths of innocents as acceptable collateral damage however then you were on a slippery slope to being little better than a foe you despised, it was important to minimise your own losses but of what value was your life if you couldn't live with yourself?

If all went well, then as far as the rest of the galaxy was aware the Blood Rain would have just inexplicably vanished one day, never to be seen again. Not that anyone would mourn them. That was the disadvantage of them hiding way out in the boonies, it meant that someone else also trying to avoid the undue attention of the more powerful factions had the opportunity to crush them underfoot, and without leaving boot-prints behind that someone was likely to find and be curious about.
« Last Edit: 22 August 2023, 10:02:40 by Hotpoint »

Hotpoint

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #117 on: 22 August 2023, 08:06:27 »
Part XII - Section 2 of 2

----------

When Romanov issued the go order the Rickenbacker jumped first, arriving at the Zenith Point of the Algenib system shortly before the Ian Cameron arrived at the L2 Lagrange point of its only inhabitable planet. Since the ships arrived hundreds of millions of miles away from each other, and light isn't that fast when you're working on that kind of scale, the Ian Cameron was already in the process of launching its dropships before a signal from Rickenbacker reached them confirming that it too had arrived safely and was now moving to engage the pirate jumpships.

By the time the half-dozen dropships offloaded by Ian Cameron had formed up into an impromptu squadron, and then began accelerating towards the planet, a subsequent signal from Rickenbacker advised them that the enemy Star Lord and Merchant jumpships had wisely surrendered, with marines soon be dispatched to board them. Meanwhile the captain of the Royalty class ship had been less prudent, his vessel had suffered battle damage during a short exchange of fire that 'wasn't just going to buff out' and a few aerospace fighters that the Royalty had launched before Rickenbacker's guns could be brought to bear upon her were now having to be rounded up by fighters launched by Rickenbacker and her dropships to do so.

As had been expected the pirate jumpships had managed to get off a distress signal to their compatriots down on the planet, Rickenbacker had jumped in just too far away from them to effectively jam the transmissions, but it wasn't like Romanov hadn't intended to loudly advertise the presence of the Eleventh Army anyway once they neared their objective.

Down on the planet Stefani Marcus, once a captain (and brevet major) in the 141st Amaris Dragoons and now the self-styled 'Pirate Queen of the Blood Rain', though that affectation was mainly intended just to spook cowardly periphery chuckleheads, was wondering what the hell was going on. Her duty officer had woken her from a pleasant sleep to tell her that a 'warship' had attacked her jumpships at zenith, and that a Star Lord's worth of dropships was inbound fast from the L2 pirate point. Once she determined that she was actually awake, wasn't having a nightmare, and it wasn't a practical joke being played upon her she issued orders for the regiment to stand to for action and started pulling on her uniform.

It said a lot for how professional and well-trained the Blood Rain still actually was that they managed to get themselves ready for battle quite as fast as they did, although the number of her mechwarriors and pilots who were hungover after the previous nights partying, or in some cases were still drunk, was less than ideal.

The Blood Rain fought hard and they played hard, the latter being the reason that they generally only attacked settlements in the afternoon by preference. Her immediate predecessor as commander of the unit had run a slightly tighter ship, but that was when they occasionally still raided into the Capellan Confederation and the Free Worlds League which meant tougher opposition and battles that might last more than a couple of hours.

As her company and battalion commanders hurried to put their units together into a cohesive force that could take the field Stefani Marcus was trying to learn more about the opposition. If they really had a warship, and given that her Royalty had apparently been knocked out of the fight pretty fast that was plausible, then that really narrowed down who it might be.

In this corner of space only the Free Worlds League still definitely maintained warships, although the Magistracy of Canopus might also still have some too since at one point before the Periphery Uprising they had a couple of dozen, albeit mostly Pinto class corvettes either purchased directly from the Rim Worlds Republic or of licensed local manufacture. The Magistracy was probably more motivated to go after the Blood Rain of late, Marcus had made sure not to poke the Mariks since they stopped fighting their neighbours, but it didn't really matter who was coming, only that she beat them.

If she could defeat the enemy ground forces and take plenty of POW's she might be able to exchange them and any battlefield salvage for the return of her jumpships. If they didn't want to play ball initially just start executing prisoners one at a time until they were willing to negotiate.

One thing was for certain, they wouldn't be expecting to face the machines she could put up against them. When raiding the Blood Rain had always kept back their best battlemechs, saving them for what her old commander jokingly called a 'bloodrainy day' because they were irreplaceable, but it was sure as shit raining now. Raining dropships.

As the inbound dropships neared the atmosphere they began transmitting a high-powered, wide-band signal. After listening to it a while Stefani Marcus took it as an indication that they must be one of the former Star League regiments that had stayed behind and turned mercenary after Kerensky went AWOL. Some of them, the Eridani Light Horse for example, still affected to be an SLDF unit and acted like they were, although nearly half-a-century after the fall of the Star League they were really just cosplaying at this point.

She had to admit though, the singing on the radio really brought back some old memories of being a young Rim Worlds Army officer in Europe on Terra when Kerensky's divisions arrived.

"Oh we'll rally round the flag, boys, we'll rally once again,
Shouting the battle cry of freedom
And we'll rally from the sphere, we'll gather from the rim,

The Star League forever, hurrah! boys, hurrah!
Down with Amaris, up with the star
While we rally round the flag, boys, we rally once again,
"

----------

Note from the Author:

JP-P-815 is an uninhabited system used by jumpships heading to Algenib because the latter is more than 30LY from the nearest other habitable system (the use of such places as waypoints is typical in the periphery where systems appearing on the standard maps can be quite far apart. It takes two jumps to get from Niops to Alphard 48LY away for example).

The Niops Association is re-naming its Star Lord jumpships after the various First Lords of the Star League, starting with Ian Cameron. They couldn't exactly operate under their original names and it helps with their efforts to project themselves as the continuation of the Star League/Terran Hegemony.

The two-hundred or so Congress class frigates produced, including the SLS James Sever and the SLS Rickenbacker, had a lot of trouble dealing with attacks by aerospace fighters which resulted in the Pentagon class dropship being created to defend them. An alternative to hauling along a Pentagon to protect your Congress was to bring a Titan, or ideally a Vengeance class carrier-dropship along instead (the 295th/331st don't have a Vengeance unfortunately). The six dropships being carried by the NAS Ian Cameron are three Overlord class, one Fortress class, one Triumph class and another Titan for air-support.

A Command Circuit, or 'Pony Express', is a way to get around a lot faster than the typical 30LY per week (or 60LY if you have a Lithium-Fusion Battery equipped vessel) but you need a lot of pre-positioned jumpships to do it.

The Blood Rain pirate band, formerly the 141st Amaris Dragoons, managed to escape Terra in 2778 just before the SLDF closed the noose. The 141st raided Spica in the Capellan Confederation for supplies while fleeing the death throes of the Amaris Empire and found their skills as a bunch of war-criminals transferred very well to piracy. It is not an exaggeration to say that Jenna Romanov would very much want a piece of them, ideally hanging on the wall above her mantleplace.

To help you get your bearings here's a quick map for you, by the way. You'll note that the L-F equipped Tramp jumpships out exploring the region for Niops haven't chosen the same name for some of the systems that the Marian Hegemony would have (Copernicus instead of Suetonius, Galileo instead of Pompey, Kepler instead of Horatius, Herschel instead of Marius Tears). For scale, as mentioned above it's 48LY from Niops to Alphard.

paulobrito

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #118 on: 22 August 2023, 09:12:39 »
Small point - you reported Potemkin assault dropships - must be Pentagon ones, right?

smdvogrin

• Corporal
« Reply #119 on: 22 August 2023, 09:25:37 »
So notoriously weak against fighter threats that the Potemkin assault dropship was developed specifically to defend the Congress class against them, why the James Sever seemed to have been running without any escort was a mystery. What was known upon her rediscovery in 2826 however was that she had been so thoroughly pummelled and blasted that she was completely beyond repair.

For this operation Rickenbacker/James Sever still lacked a Potemkin, but the Titan carrier dropship she was hauling more than made up for it.

You get the name right in your author notes - this should be the "Pentagon"-class dropship, not the "Potemkin".  Bit of a size difference.