Author Topic: How many 'Mechs in a pound?  (Read 4316 times)

Karl-El

• Recruit
How many 'Mechs in a pound?
« on: 11 May 2017, 19:13:36 »
So, I've heard about this amazing deal where if you go to IWM in person you can buy minis by the pound. Two questions:
1) is it $40 per pound?
2) approximately how many minis per pound?

Thanks!

klarg1

• Captain
Re: How many 'Mechs in a pound?
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2017, 13:57:45 »
DISCLAIMER: I haven't heard of this kind of trade deal at IWM, but I have traded pewter melt like-for-like for new miniatures with another company. A human-sized 30mm miniature tends to run around 1/2 an ounce. More for a chunkier mini.

I haven't weighed one, but, at a guess, a battlemech mini would probably be 2-4 times that weight, depending on the sculpt.

So.... at least an ounce, bur probably no more than 3 ounces. Does that help? Obviously, something giant, like the Tonbo, or Poseidon would weight significantly more.
« Last Edit: 12 May 2017, 14:00:48 by klarg1 »

Karl-El

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2017, 15:05:38 »
Thanks, hopefully someone from IWM or someone who's visited the promised land can give a more precise answer. 😀

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2017, 15:20:12 »
On Ral Partha Europe's catalog (http://www.ralparthaeurope.co.uk/shop/battletech-c-1/miniatures-c-1_3/mechs-c-1_3_4/), each product page has a shipping weight in grams. While they don't have every single item, you can get a feel for what various models weigh. For example, an Akuma weights 65g while an Assassin is only 35. IIRC a pound is about 450g. Once you have some weights, you can use your google machine to do some conversions.

If this is true, Cincinnati just climbed way up my places I want to visit list  ;D

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2017, 15:39:36 »
Not to ruin your dreams, but I've been to their location a couple time to get replacement parts or pick up orders. Maybe I just don't know the secret handshake, but nothing I ever picked up on-site was pay-by-the-pound. They were kind enough to put a handwritten note into my order a few months ago to let me know I was welcome to stop by and pick my orders up rather than paying for shipping if I wanted to, but no secret locals-only offers for cheap minis.

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2017, 14:51:06 »
If you do visit the factory you can purchase non packaged product (bulk from the stock bins)  by the weight at a certain cost. If something needs to be casted that is a different price. I do not have all of the details, but they have it posted on signs at the factory for when people visit.

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2017, 18:53:19 »
Damnit! I knew I was missing out on the secret handshake!

Honestly though, y'all are so busy every time I've stopped by I wouldn't have wanted to pull anyone away just to babysit me and help poke through the racks. I'm just happy being close enough to switch out mis-packs and mis-casts without having to deal with shipping.

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2017, 21:32:16 »
From what I've heard second-hand, you'll also need to do your homework before going, because as speck noted, you're looking at non packaged product; if you want a mini that's cast on four sprues, you'll need to pick up one sprue from each appropriate bin. It's up to you to take the time to be sure you're getting everything you want/need. No one is going to be holding your hand through the process.... Good deal if you know what you're looking for, are prepared, and have time though.

crusader523

• Private
« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2017, 22:16:21 »
it is very time consuming but a great deal if you are near there and willing to put in the eforth.  As a warring they didnt have all the mechs i wanted in stock cast when i was ther. Great way to get odds and ends of mechs for displays though

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 16 May 2017, 08:57:08 »
Honestly, it would just be fun to see the factory.

I've been to Reaper HQ. It would be fun to see another mini casting facility. Bin-diving would just be a bonus.  :D

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 09 June 2017, 22:30:11 »
It's up to you to take the time to be sure you're getting everything you want/need. No one is going to be holding your hand through the process.... Good deal if you know what you're looking for, are prepared, and have time though.
Or if you want to just stock up on a ton of bits to FrankenMech out with!
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!