Author Topic: Decision at Thunder Rift  (Read 3643 times)

abou

• Captain
Decision at Thunder Rift
« on: 08 April 2019, 20:57:24 »
I just cracked open my POD copy of DaTR. It has been years since I read it. First chapter in and I didn't realize how heavily Keith was leaning on Dune. I know Frank Herbert's work influenced everyone, but wow.

Offworlders don't just the Trell... just like they don't trust the Fremen.
Grayson is heir to a military legacy... just like Paul was to Leto.
Grayson is in a romantic relationship with with a local girl... just like Paul was with Chani.
Trellwan is a desert planet... just like Arrakis.
Grayson is taught martial skills by a grizzled master at arms not known for his good looks, but who also has a scar along his jaw... just like Gurney Halleck.

I mean... wow.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
Re: Decision at Thunder Rift
« Reply #1 on: 08 April 2019, 22:06:36 »
That's a rather big stretch. All of those things you listed are just common tropes.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 08 April 2019, 22:28:34 »
Sure, but the Gurney Halleck and Kai Griffith similarities are a bit too on the nose. I'm not mad or anything, I was just taken aback at how everything seemed to line up like that. That clustering in the first chapter is something Keith probably knew he was doing. It is pretty clear from all the references throughout the early BattleTech era that the writers were big fans of at least the first Dune book.

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #3 on: 09 April 2019, 13:37:59 »
Considering that before BattleTech, FASA was known for producing third party supplements for Traveller, which has some very close Dune parallels, I'm not surprised. Look at Mr. Keith's record of Traveller materials, and it's interesting. http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/William_H._Keith,_Jr.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command