Author Topic: WoB vs. MH in Tacoma WA.  (Read 7944 times)

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
WoB vs. MH in Tacoma WA.
« on: 29 August 2011, 19:01:05 »
 So this game was actually pretty fun. It was pretty big, 4 centuries or a cohort vs. 2 WoB lvl IIs.

We didn't ballance the game by BV but i think the forces were pretty close.

MH forces;

Century II Spartan NF, Mad II ( rocket launcher version),cataphract-x,centurion,Thunderbolt 7SE
 Century III Locust 1V2,saladin,1 BA carrier Karnov,1 RL version karnov,1 saracen,80 foot infantry w/ SRM's and heavy armour
 Century IV Goliath,2 von luckners,1 schreck,1 hetzer
 Century V ostroc,commando,centurion,i sarasen, griffin 1n

WoB lvl II 1,Malak, malak,lightray,bombardier,lancelot,crab

WoB lvlII 2 kingcrab,archangel,gregory,preta,Deva,saraph

The objective was a downed WoB drop ship. we used 4 maps, we were going to use 6 but i forgot one and no one was going to buy a map pack while we were there...oh well.

The MH won innish and i had the person using the vehicles do a cav charge, where as i was going to follow up with the heavies and assault mechs. Didn't work so well since a bunch of the tanks were 3/5 and 4/6. the Karnovs shot straight to the drop ship and dropped off their infantry who took control of the drop ship( the next turn) The Malaks and lightray charged forward close to the drop ship while the others moved up slowly.
 The first turn there was no shooting, no one had range.

second turn we moved out more. the saracesn and saladin got close enough for some shots and the malaks and lightray got in close, coming around the drop ship. The karnovs, having dropped their troops came around the drop ship and got in the middle of the WoB mechs, since one was carrying an ecm suite messing with their c3i. They took a bunch of punishment but neither went down and the periph karnov unloaded his rockets doing some damage. The lead Malak flamed the hex my saracens were in causing their i.c.e. engines to go up. The saladin took enough damage to be taken out but also scored a hit on one of the Maliks, shredding the left torso and giving it 2 engine hits. It had to withdraw.The Commando flanked around the mountains, unseen by the Kingcrab and the Deva.

The 3rd round found us almost almost nose to nose. I failed to hit with both my mechs but took no damage also.The Hetzer was destroyed but not before it hit with a head shot to Saraph. The Commando continued her trip around the mountains and the Bombardier and lancelot continued to back up because i took a ppc shot at the bombardier from the cataphract-x that missed...and the guy playing them was a pussy. I missed with everything from my mechs,nothing much new there,My wife scored some hits with her ostroc and centurion and Rich continued to pound the king crab from range, through mountain peaks with the griffon and Mad II. The 2 luckners and the schreck moved up coming in from around the drop ship. The surviving Malak and lightray continued into our backfield. Surprisingly the lightray managed to shrug off all weapons fired at it for the second round, dancing and piroetting around massed fire. One Karnov was destroyed on the trip back to our backfield. The WoB forces fired at us and managed some nasty hits on the thunderbolt.

Turn 4 with much better target numbers i decided to alpha with my Cataphract-x, aiming at the Gregory and following up with my Spartan. All hit and layed waste to it, to which Dan followed up with the goliath and finished the job. The Thunderbolt took massed fire and would have to leave the battlefield after that round, loosing his main gun and a torso. The remaining Malak took a hip shot but we totally forgot about it as it and the lightray continued to play havok in our backfield but by this time the ecm mounted karnov was there to disrupt their C3i network.This turn the griffon was in range from Kingcrab and took damage, including a 2 pt head shot.The H-2 catapult unloaded it's rockets ripping the armour off a mech but causing no internal damage.The locust 1v2 loosed it's rockets also doing damage to the lancelot but loosing a torso in the exchange.

Round 5 found us winding down. My cataphract had been hit a few times last round but nothing major, the Spartan was almost undamaged.The goliath was untouched but the Mad II was going internal. The commando had come out from around the mountains by round 4 and was sniping the back of the kingcrab with SRM's both rounds, great shooting baby  ;) . We had taken out 5 of their mechs to 5 of our tanks and 2 of our mechs( the thud and locust were to withdraw).Nahuris took the Malak off the board because he had forgotten about it's hip actuater out and figured it would have been a sitting duck.Very honorable, i commend him.
 We were in charge of the drop ship,and were very close to taking aout a few more WoB mechs. None of ours were in a bad spotor had enough armour off to withdraw. We called the game at the end of round 5, the MH as the winner, taking the salvage.

It was a good game. the board was a bit small, but comfortable. My team did the exact tactics that i asked of them and my plan worked out well. Nahuris, i'm sure and i hope will comment on how he saw things from his side.

Gloria De Emperium

« Last Edit: 29 August 2011, 19:09:37 by Col.Hengist »
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

Nahuris

• Captain
Re: WoB vs. MH in Tacoma WA.
« Reply #1 on: 30 August 2011, 11:15:45 »
It wasn't a bad game --- however, if you field WOB, you cannot do it on a small battlefield.
Second, as was said, our bombadier pilot lacked intestinal fortitude .... (or as I prefer, he was testicular fortitude impaired.......) Things on the right side might have been better, had he been in at least medium range with the LRM's... rather than sitting exactly 21 hexes from the nearest enemy having panic attacks.... the also never moved the Lancelot more than 2 hexes in any turn, and that was usually back and forth next to the Bombadier.
I was rather surprised at both the Grigori and the Archangel, though..... and while the Grigori went down (Hetzer AC/20 to the head) the Archangel managed to take almost 300 damage and was still fighting.... it was designed to be a zombie, and it fulfills that roll very well. The Seraph actually had only taken 12 damage over-all, and none to the head (it was near the Grigori, and everyone kept mixing up the Blake omnis -- might have been the paint job, though, as they were all plain charcoal in color --- wasn't finished painting yet), and while the King Crab did take a full rocket spread from the Marauder with all the rockets, it still had over half of it's armor in all locations..... and was very much ready to start pounding on everyone. The big surprise was the Lightray (I should have taken both of them out, but at the last minute decided to only take one) ---- no one could hit it, and even when it was finally hit, after 3 rounds of combined fire, it was still able to shrug the damage off (it's a 7/11/0 55 ton mech, with max armor, and with the ERPPC and 3 ER medium lasers, it's farely well armed).

Another surprise was the 50 ton crab -- WOB as a version w/ the ER large laser, and 3 light PPC's that is 6/9/0 --- it made a nice sniper/flanker --- again, would have been better on a larger map, but did very well.

Flaws: two of the players on the WOB side were new players, and this was the first time any of us had tried to field them.... so the coordination wasn't the best.
Second is that WOB needs to seriously add some jump capable designs ---- they are a very terrain dependent army.

I definitely have to give the Marian forces a lot of respect for tactics and coordination.
The rocket launchers are pretty decent... and make great assault mech killers.
Down side is that they are one shot, and if they miss, as half did on the King Crab, then it can leave a mech suddenly only lightly armed in the middle of a fight.

Advice for WOB players --- make sure some of your mechs are jump capable, include some SRM's --- yes, the plethora of PPC's is nice, but not as effective against VTOL's with ECM as SRM's would be, and there are a lot of VTOL's with that. And finally, WOB is a Combined fighting force --- you should never battle without your support vehicles or Battle Armor.

Nahuris

"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 30 August 2011, 11:29:23 »
Next game...6 maps, more combined arms.I want to stick with this for a bit tho. I like mh vs. WoB.

Martius

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2011, 12:05:56 »
RLs are fun and allow to deal some serious damage to slow units. The loss of the Seraph was good (or bad) luck it seems. A Seraph is one nasty Mech and my GF is very fond of using it against me. :D

Lightrays are a nightmare, especially as the MH fields no designs that can compete with it. The best I can do against them is loading some precision ammo and hope for the best.

Interesting game, thanks for the detailed reports. Now I want to play against WoB again as well....

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
  • Smallest star in the firmament
« Reply #4 on: 30 August 2011, 13:13:19 »
Second is that WOB needs to seriously add some jump capable designs ---- they are a very terrain dependent army.

The WoB actually has a ton of jump-capable 'mechs, including a lot of IJJ-equipped 'mechs. They have a King Crab, the Highlander, a Commando, an IJJ Griffin, the Thunderbolt, Phoenix Hawk, Legacy, White Flame, etc. etc.
Fighter of the Nightman (ah-ah-ah)
Champion of the Sun (ah-ah-ah)

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 30 August 2011, 14:24:40 »
The WoB actually has a ton of jump-capable 'mechs, including a lot of IJJ-equipped 'mechs. They have a King Crab, the Highlander, a Commando, an IJJ Griffin, the Thunderbolt, Phoenix Hawk, Legacy, White Flame, etc. etc.

I'm in the process of looking them all up now--- but I made the mistake of trusting Sarna's list of WOB mechs, and it doesn't show a lot of those --- they are instead listed as Comstar (I know, same coin, different side)

I'm already re-working some things and making more plans ---- although my group has decided they like the toaster worshippers..... to the tune of my room-mate purchasing 12 Asura Battle Armor, and 12 Purifiers, along with bases for me, as a gift, while she gets herself another King Crab, and a couple of others.

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 30 August 2011, 14:26:31 »
RLs are fun and allow to deal some serious damage to slow units. The loss of the Seraph was good (or bad) luck it seems. A Seraph is one nasty Mech and my GF is very fond of using it against me. :D

Lightrays are a nightmare, especially as the MH fields no designs that can compete with it. The best I can do against them is loading some precision ammo and hope for the best.

Interesting game, thanks for the detailed reports. Now I want to play against WoB again as well....

Seraph survived --- it was the Grigori that took the AC/20 to the head.
It was the Archangel that proved to be the damage eating zombie......while the Malaks seemed a bit fragile, but that might have been the dice ---- although I am considering several Lightrays on the field.

The dice were absolute evil during this game --- I am not sure how many times I saw rolls that were just one less than was needed.... even when the target number was a 4... they proved that they could roll 3's....  and it was happening on both sides....LOL

Nahuris
« Last Edit: 30 August 2011, 14:31:13 by Nahuris »

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
« Reply #7 on: 31 August 2011, 13:35:07 »
Seraph survived --- it was the Grigori that took the AC/20 to the head.

And now I see Col.Hengist singing this song:

Quote from: Boxcars
I shot the Seraph
But I didn't shoot no Grigori, oh no! oh!
I shot the Seraph
But I didn't shoot no Grigori, ooh, ooh, oo-ooh.

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 31 August 2011, 14:04:51 »
BWAHAHAAHAAHA!  ;D

Fates Toy

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
  • For da Pizza Lord!!!
« Reply #9 on: 31 August 2011, 15:53:59 »
See? I knew I should have showed up! If I were playing the True Beleievers... things would have gone different. Especially with the Bombardier and Lancelot (just finished playing one at Dragonflight.)

Plus.. Did you make both forces? The Marians, I can see... but you are smart enough to make a better WoB selection than that!

When you have a 'sieze the whosit' objective... mobility is more important than slow moving behemoths! I would have put a few more jumpers... and hvy-assaults with a little more speed.  Get there first, then hold the ground.

And really? A Grigori got hit by a Hetzer? It let it get in range? And stay in its front arc? Oy vey!

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 31 August 2011, 16:57:40 »
Yes, you and Rach, and JT should have come down.Yea, as you said, that MH force is all me. The toaster force was designed by Nahuris and his roomies. He is a returning old time player who just  recently started with my group.

In his defence the board was slanted in our favor...we won board side...he had never played against me in a game where i could play my type of game with my type of faction force. Its also his first time playing wobblies so he is feeling them out.

So i don't have to send another email...i'll see you on the 10th and the wife and i vote MuGu then to AFK.

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 31 August 2011, 17:43:06 »
And now I see Col.Hengist singing this song:

Actually, you have a Seraph dancing to the Song "Staying Alive....

Damn, I knew I should have painted it up in a blue leisure suit....... or at least a white sports jacket with blue fuzzy feet (blue suede shoes)

There were two things I based the unit on --- staying with WOB listed mechs from Sarna.net as I am still learning their faction, and using mechs that I actually had. However, two of my players that I knew would be there are not the fast strike type --- one of them was playing the Grigori, and never moved faster than a walk. So, in addition to trying to master a faction I have never played, I also have two Steiner archetypes to work with....LOL.

Nahuris

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 31 August 2011, 17:51:39 »
Cource it had nothing tdo with my briliant tactics  ;D

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 31 August 2011, 20:40:03 »
Cource it had nothing tdo with my briliant tactics  ;D
All I saw was a bum-rush across the perfectly flat area....LOL

They weren't bad --- ours should have been better......
And of course here is the Seraph Theme Song ----- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vj092UgKwQ

Nahuris

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 31 August 2011, 23:14:24 »
Ah, you didn't see the subtlty of what we did tho. It's all good.

Fates Toy

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
  • For da Pizza Lord!!!
« Reply #15 on: 31 August 2011, 23:39:09 »
Subtlety?

Says the guy who plays Lyrans.... ???

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 31 August 2011, 23:58:07 »
 nice. I can get in character when i need to...altho the space romans legion i picked is a heavy Cav legion... just the way i like it  8)

DaWife

• Recruit
« Reply #17 on: 01 September 2011, 00:07:03 »
My husband uses a sledge for subtlety. I, however was the queen of subtle. I had a commando, centurian, and ostroc on the table. My  sneaky little midget commando took off on its own and no one even payed any attention to it. Rich was piloting a griffon and a marauder 2. We held the right flank and kept them toasters from flanking us and taking back the drop ship. While that was going on my sneaky little commando got back on the king crab and then also on the big Wob omni.  If my my dice would have been a bit luckier I would have inflicted more damage to them. I did get a few head shots in though. Oh, I am new. I have only played 6 games now. Still learning all the rules but I know my tactics. lol

It was a great game and cant wait to see what happens with a bigger board and different objectives. Nothing personal. I just don't care for WoB  ;D
« Last Edit: 01 September 2011, 00:23:17 by DaWife »

Fates Toy

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
  • For da Pizza Lord!!!
« Reply #18 on: 01 September 2011, 01:28:40 »
That's okay... I am only a WoBbie player because SOMEBODY has to play the Black hats! }:)

Just wait until Hengist and I set up our Blood Spirit/Star Adder campaign...  8)

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 01 September 2011, 07:48:50 »
oh yes, the blood will flow

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 01 September 2011, 10:33:42 »
My husband uses a sledge for subtlety. I, however was the queen of subtle. I had a commando, centurian, and ostroc on the table. My  sneaky little midget commando took off on its own and no one even payed any attention to it. Rich was piloting a griffon and a marauder 2. We held the right flank and kept them toasters from flanking us and taking back the drop ship. While that was going on my sneaky little commando got back on the king crab and then also on the big Wob omni.  If my my dice would have been a bit luckier I would have inflicted more damage to them. I did get a few head shots in though. Oh, I am new. I have only played 6 games now. Still learning all the rules but I know my tactics. lol

It was a great game and cant wait to see what happens with a bigger board and different objectives. Nothing personal. I just don't care for WoB  ;D

Actually, I had asked that at least one of the following, Lancelot, Crab, or Preta be used to flank and cover the rear of the King Crab.... but everyone decided to go right.....LOL
I saw the Commando, but didn't have any forces to deal with it, as I was trying to keep the Deva supporting, and everything else I had was fast moving in the back-field on the other side..... The initial plan on my side fell apart as soon as it made contact with my allies..... let alone the enemy.

Although everything is good --- the Bombadier pilot is going to be dragged via chains with hooks behind his mech until he understands two things --- how to be part of a battle plan, and also that he needn't fear light mechs.

Nahuris

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 01 September 2011, 10:34:39 »
That's okay... I am only a WoBbie player because SOMEBODY has to play the Black hats! }:)

Just wait until Hengist and I set up our Blood Spirit/Star Adder campaign...  8)

I'll be in on this one --- be nice to play under Zel again......LOL

Nahuris

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 01 September 2011, 10:47:03 »
No zel on york. Problem is we already know the ultimate outcome. The spirits get bombed from orbit in the Colleen system.

I agree tho john, your wobbie players need to learn to not be so fearful of taking damage. You never get anywhere if you don't do anything. Hide in a hole if you like, you'll just die old,feeble and with no glory

Fates Toy

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
  • For da Pizza Lord!!!
« Reply #23 on: 01 September 2011, 11:51:14 »
They should be fearful of The Master, and not a pathetic periphery state with dellusions of grandeur! }:)

Actually... Didn't the Star Adders use Zell.. AND second rate material.. Just to prove the Spirits' ineffectiveness?

(not that I am putting 2nd rate material in my force, perish the thought!) 8)

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 01 September 2011, 12:03:53 »
I wouldn't call a whammy IIc or Mad IIc second rate but yes, they used second line mechs. Zel was attempted by the adders but refused by the spirits. The battle on York was special, at all other battles off York Zel was maintained.

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 28 October 2011, 16:50:24 »
They should be fearful of The Master, and not a pathetic periphery state with dellusions of grandeur! }:)

Actually... Didn't the Star Adders use Zell.. AND second rate material.. Just to prove the Spirits' ineffectiveness?

(not that I am putting 2nd rate material in my force, perish the thought!) 8)

Dude... my players cringed, whined, and crawled on their faces..... The only forces on my side that charge into the battle were the pair of 30 ton Malaks with the Lightray. I ran them through the enemy formation, down the length of both map sheets, across the width of the same, and then back up over heavy terrain, all before ANYONE on my side moved more than 8 hexes from their starting edge.

Nahuris