Author Topic: Colorizing line drawings  (Read 2150 times)

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
Colorizing line drawings
« on: 20 April 2018, 03:08:11 »
I have something of a silly question, does anyone know of a good program to colorize line drawings like the picture of the Ostsol I have as my avi?

Juodas Varnas

• Sergeant
Re: Colorizing line drawings
« Reply #1 on: 20 April 2018, 03:24:58 »
I like using GiMP.

It's free and pretty easy to learn.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #2 on: 21 April 2018, 21:18:55 »
Check with Deadborder.  Has quite a few examples in his colorization thread.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #3 on: 21 April 2018, 21:40:53 »
Check with Deadborder.  Has quite a few examples in his colorization thread.
What he said.

I am novice myself and use MS Paint. With older images like that unseen Ostsol picture you got you need painstakingly draw lines over the image's art/details. I found if you don't the program will not see the "lines" of the original art unless it's been done already.

Here some Examples.  This unseen Phoenix Hawk IIC from one of the early sourcebooks. I got lucky and didn't need to add the lines so detail of the art wasn't lost when i added the paint colors in. Same case with this newer art for the Behemoth 2.  In Some cases i had to add those lines.

« Last Edit: 21 April 2018, 21:44:23 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: 21 April 2018, 22:22:38 »
Yeah, your going to have that problem if you just use paint bucket. You need to use multiple layers to avoid the white outlines that will allow you to color behind the lines like a transparently or animation cell.

If you haven't done much coloring using layers yet, you can find multiple tutorials on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDasj3Wb6Yk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nOJOcrlWLs   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6EBrw19Y9o

There is also multiple Freewere art programs, GiMP is the most well know but I have recently started using MediBang and Krita. Each program is a little different with there own strengths and weaknesses so you may need to find a video addressing how that particular program works though the techniques themselves stay the same with a few exceptions (not every program offers Vectoring if your into fine details)     
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #5 on: 23 April 2018, 18:20:55 »
I use GiMP for mine, and do such through a complicated layering process that I inherited from somebody else (who probably took that from somebody else and so on..). I'll do a write-up and tutorial at some stage when I'm not at work and have a few examples in front of me.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?