Author Topic: Any updates for the Wasp?  (Read 51626 times)

pheonixstorm

• Major
Re: Any updates for the Wasp?
« Reply #150 on: 31 May 2017, 10:34:11 »
Well that didn't take long. I'm betting a ridiculous price as well. Wonder how long till the knock-offs start rolling in... >:(

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #151 on: 31 May 2017, 10:49:09 »
Arrrrrrgggg  [madflame]
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #152 on: 31 May 2017, 11:50:14 »
it's worth noting that the new shadow hawk has not been pulled from the webstore

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #153 on: 31 May 2017, 11:53:14 »
WHAT?!

Jules vern, why is this happening again....I guess that's why the Combat Manuals haven't continued too.

RIP Wasp

At least we have the primitive Wasp. I think they should stick with Primitives and be done with it.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #154 on: 31 May 2017, 11:56:32 »
it's worth noting that the new shadow hawk has not been pulled from the webstore
[/quote

Even if this was a HG thing, I wouldn't expect it to.  HG has no rights to the Unseen Shadow Hawk, Thunderbolt, etc.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #155 on: 31 May 2017, 12:01:34 »
Jules vern, why is this happening again....I guess that's why the Combat Manuals haven't continued too.

Nope. Not related.

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #156 on: 31 May 2017, 13:28:09 »
WHAT?!

RIP Wasp

At least we have the primitive Wasp. I think they should stick with Primitives and be done with it.

Guys, let's keep to DEFCON 3 right now... Speck did say "until further notice". While I'm wracking my brain to think of another scenario, it's possible there is one that we don't know about. The thing that sticks in my mind is that with as public as CGL has made this over the course of going on two years now (the first art was published and displayed about this time in 2015), you'd think that if HG were involved, they would have swooped down like vultures much sooner. It's not like CGL hid that awesome art of Tasha K's Warhammer under a bushel basket.

The theory that may make more sense is Liam's Ghost's idea that this is a nuisance challenge from Palladium who are worried that the minis might eat into sales of their Robotech Tactics patience tests -- er, miniature kits. In which case, hopefully Simbieda et. al will be shown the door rather quickly (and, if there's any justice in this world, the judge will find him in contempt of players for the ridiculous Rifts rules) and we can all get on with business as usual. 

Even if it were HG relitigating the FASA case again, and even if they were to win (two dicey propositions), it's not like ALL the Classics would be taken away at a stroke. We'd still have the BattleMaster, Shadow Hawk, Locust, Thunderbolt, Griffin, Scorpion, Goliath, and Wolverine. A kick in the balls, to be sure, but not the total catastrophe of the Unseen days all over again.

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #157 on: 31 May 2017, 13:42:48 »
WHAT?!

RIP Wasp

Take it with a grain of salt. The online resellers don't know any more than we do. This is just regular old profiteering on the speculation and uncertainty.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #158 on: 31 May 2017, 15:25:38 »
As others have pointed out, the art for the new RT based classics was the FIRST out the door with the Marauder and Warhammer. If HG or that other group had issue, it would have been not long after that. Also, MWO would also be feeling a lot of heat over their classics as well.

So lets stick to the following
1. Internal issue between CGL and IWM - Wasp/Valkyrie were to be in plastic first and IWM goofed on their rotation. Logical, we do know that IWM is scheduled to produce 12 in metal.
2. Production issue - cracked/broken mold for the Wasp, no mold until recently for the Valkyrie which would be inline with the removal of both from the current release schedule
3. A POLITE word from HG asking for CGL to make slight changes to the Wasp/Valkyrie as they may still be too close to the source material. Least likely IMO but still possible. This is not the same as a C&D which would affect all Macross influenced classics.

Since Speck can't say much about all of this I think 1 is the most likely, especially if CGL is close to releasing a new box set and/or lance packs. I am really hoping they are close as I have some disposable income I want to spend on something worthwhile.

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
« Reply #159 on: 31 May 2017, 17:20:48 »
I'm thinking 1 or 3. I can't think that Speck would have to keep confidentiality if the mold were broken -- all he'd have to say is "the mold's broken, sorry, we'll get 'er back up and running as soon as we can."

SpudBot

• Corporal
« Reply #160 on: 31 May 2017, 17:33:44 »
3 does seem unlikely as (imo) the Primitive Wasp looks closer in appearance to the source material and there have been no issues.

1 would in its way be fantastic news as I plan to buy umpteen-bajillion plastic unseens   [drool].

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #161 on: 31 May 2017, 18:19:39 »
*snip*the Primitive Wasp looks closer in appearance to the source material*snip*

I have to disagree. It still does not come close to the original source material but is a much better rendition than the PP art/minis. Some may feel as you do, and I do like the primitive much better than the PP version, but there isn't a lot that looks the same. Just my 2 cents.

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #162 on: 01 June 2017, 07:04:48 »
So lets stick to the following
1. Internal issue between CGL and IWM - Wasp/Valkyrie were to be in plastic first and IWM goofed on their rotation. Logical, we do know that IWM is scheduled to produce 12 in metal.
2. Production issue - cracked/broken mold for the Wasp, no mold until recently for the Valkyrie which would be inline with the removal of both from the current release schedule
3. A POLITE word from HG asking for CGL to make slight changes to the Wasp/Valkyrie as they may still be too close to the source material. Least likely IMO but still possible. This is not the same as a C&D which would affect all Macross influenced classics.

Or we could not add unfounded speculation and incorrect facts to the discussion.
1. Nope.
2. Still not correct on the Valk.
3. We've already discussed why that would be unlikely, though I'm not in a position to offer a hard no.

I'll throw out a #4: things are being organized behind the scenes to coordinate a big launch sometime in the near future. Again, I'm not privy to high-level discussion, and wouldn't be allowed to say anything if I was. I did notice a total lack of positive options and figured adding one might be worthwhile.
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever is left - however improbable - must be the truth." Now where's my Sherlock Holmes smiley?

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #163 on: 01 June 2017, 08:13:20 »
On 2, you said it yourself up thread that first the mold wasn't complete and then a few days later it was. Reasoning behind that one.

I do like the idea for your 4th idea but at the same time something like that should allow for a limited information release rather than "can't say anything" and eerie silence.

It may be pointless to prattle on and on about the same old reasoning for all of this of idle speculation but these forums are good at that. Plus, I would rather advocate the middle case scenarios that seem most likely even if they aren't true rather than the worst case such as a C&D from HG which I find to be the least likely with a probability of .001%.

Even a "stay positive its not what you think" from Speck would shut many of us up and then we could all laugh and dance with the unicorns ;D

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #164 on: 01 June 2017, 11:08:11 »
On 2, you said it yourself up thread that first the mold wasn't complete and then a few days later it was. Reasoning behind that one.

Please do not change my words; I most certainly did not say that the mold had been made, as you can see from the quote below. My reply was that your assertion of the lack of a mold being a big issue holding up production was not the reason for the delay. It still isn't. The plan for release changed, which means not having a mold today, or last week, or last month is nothing to be concerned about.

It would be if the target release date was now or very shortly. It's not. The release was pushed back earlier, and is on target now. No "big issue" and no "holding up" to be had here.

Corrinald

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #165 on: 01 June 2017, 12:37:36 »
Or we could not add unfounded speculation and incorrect facts to the discussion.
1. Nope.
2. Still not correct on the Valk.
3. We've already discussed why that would be unlikely, though I'm not in a position to offer a hard no.

I'll throw out a #4: things are being organized behind the scenes to coordinate a big launch sometime in the near future. Again, I'm not privy to high-level discussion, and wouldn't be allowed to say anything if I was. I did notice a total lack of positive options and figured adding one might be worthwhile.
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever is left - however improbable - must be the truth." Now where's my Sherlock Holmes smiley?

I prefer this positive hopeful #4 possibility. Have no idea what's going on and want to hope for the best!

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #166 on: 01 June 2017, 12:40:21 »
Let them all be the Big Surprise at GenCon this year. It would be the best show for years!

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
« Reply #167 on: 01 June 2017, 14:10:05 »
Now where's my Sherlock Holmes smiley?

<Jeeves>Shall this one do, sir?</Jeeves>  ;D

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #168 on: 01 June 2017, 17:08:47 »
My awesome inside sources have discovered the real reason for the discontinued Wasp.

Catalyst has decided to go with the one handed version instead, and insisted the Wasp be resculpted in a "Six Million Dollar Man" running pose, complete with speed lines. The Valkyrie is being held up because all hands are involved on trying to figure out how to do that.

To make up for the delay, Iron Wind Metals intends to cast the mini in 24 carat gold (at the same price point), as well as offering a free kitten (hairless breeds in adorable little sweaters available for those with allergies) with every purchase over ten dollars.

Hey, they can't all be predictions of doom.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

SpudBot

• Corporal
« Reply #169 on: 01 June 2017, 18:09:26 »
Catalyst has decided to go with the one handed version instead, and insisted the Wasp be resculpted in a "Six Million Dollar Man" running pose, complete with speed lines. The Valkyrie is being held up because all hands are involved on trying to figure out how to do that.

Hopefully, the Valkyrie will also be in a full-on running pose, then we will get this sexy action:

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #170 on: 02 June 2017, 14:19:58 »
Now where's my Sherlock Holmes smiley?

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #171 on: 16 June 2017, 12:49:39 »
My awesome inside sources have discovered the real reason for the discontinued Wasp.

Hey, they can't all be predictions of doom.
I hope you are correct and not just kidding, I lived through unseen being pulled before, I dont know if I can take going through that again  ;)
I may have a low amount of posts but I have a PHD in Battletech and mechs older then most people on this board!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #172 on: 16 June 2017, 16:14:08 »
If CGL pulled it for that reason.  I think it's kinda dumb. Only because they're effectively trigging us players without being at least transparent what their doing.

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #173 on: 16 June 2017, 16:45:28 »
Of course if true I will keep one of my wasp in the package. It just may be worth something one day O0
I may have a low amount of posts but I have a PHD in Battletech and mechs older then most people on this board!

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #174 on: 16 June 2017, 18:00:09 »
Or maybe it's something internal that we really have no business to need to know for privacy's sake.   Unfortunately that would mean they have to be silent.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #175 on: 16 June 2017, 19:17:40 »
If CGL pulled it for that reason.  I think it's kinda dumb. Only because they're effectively trigging us players without being at least transparent what their doing.

I should point out that I have no awesome inside sources and was just kidding.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #176 on: 17 June 2017, 09:16:03 »
 >:(

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #177 on: 18 June 2017, 00:15:31 »
I saw Speck today and mentioned that I was NOT going to ask him about the Wasp and Valkyrie, and he said that if I were to ask him, the answer would be the same as what he posted here. What can you take away from that statement? That Speck is a stand-up guy who is true to his word, and that whatever is going on is probably not happeneing at a level where he is in the middle of it to give out info even if he wanted to.

Hilariously, there was another fan who heard me talking about this and he predicted that it was all HG's fault and that we wouldn't be getting unseen as long as they were in business. It was a real life-imitating-the-forms moment. Who knows, that guy may be right, or it could be something's else entirely. Regardless, the Wasp and Valkyrie are off the table for now and will remain so until people who are not Speck decide otherwise.
« Last Edit: 18 June 2017, 11:11:11 by sadlerbw »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #178 on: 18 June 2017, 15:15:12 »
We need primitive Valkyrie (or a precursor to Valkyrie....like the Swordman)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #179 on: 18 July 2017, 15:58:35 »
Since we lost a chunk of posts from the restore, can we get a 'The Story So Far' - even if it's just 'we can't talk about it' perhaps?
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Register