Author Topic: Slightly late/Early MOTW - Black Watch  (Read 8764 times)

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
Re: Slightly late/Early MOTW - Black Watch
« Reply #30 on: 17 May 2018, 22:50:50 »
the lyrans dictated the weightclass, the mariks provided the main guns, the kurita added support missiles, and the liao.....

the liao laid out how to make it all work while they poached the good engineers for themselves.

i honestly like this 'mech, it works alright as part of a C3 lance- but man, i'd have a hard time making the loadout worse i admit.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #31 on: 18 May 2018, 10:50:58 »
For what was available then . . . for 3145?  Make it a Rifleman clone with HVACs.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #32 on: 19 May 2018, 16:28:21 »
For what was available then . . . for 3145?  Make it a Rifleman clone with HVACs.
the BKW-7R  was 3061, and the BKW-9R showed up in 3070.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #33 on: 19 May 2018, 17:16:04 »

HVACs are one way you could make this mech worse.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

JadedFalcon

• Lieutenant
  • Wins at Battleteching
« Reply #34 on: 19 May 2018, 18:57:56 »
So an appropriate Dark Age variant would have an HVAC10, Bombast Laser, and maybe an ELRM20?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #35 on: 19 May 2018, 22:17:26 »
"But it could hide in its own smoke!"
-my only defense for HVACs

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #36 on: 21 May 2018, 09:29:57 »
I don't often agree with people who talk about bracket firing, but the Black Watch is one place where I think it really would work well. Replacing the Ultra AC/10 with two Plasma Rifles and ammo keeps the machine in the same range bands as the MRM missile launcher.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #37 on: 22 May 2018, 11:53:39 »
the BKW-7R  was 3061, and the BKW-9R showed up in 3070.

I knopw, I was saying the only way I knew to make it worse required 3145 weapon.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 31 May 2018, 21:00:48 »
So an appropriate Dark Age variant would have an HVAC10, Bombast Laser, and maybe an ELRM20?

An appropriate Dark Age variant would have a RAC/5 or keep the UAC/10 in the first place, give the Heavy PPC a Capacitor, and a Streak LRM-20.

I see a decent amount of mentioning the mismatching range bands, but that... doesn't actually seem to be the case here?  Generally when I think "mismatched range bands" I think "overlapping minimum range" or "MLs/SRMs matched with LRMs" where you're punished for entering one group's optimum range by leaving the other's.

Here your objective is to get to exactly 3 hexes range, and then make the guy in front of you wish he'd picked a better place to be that day.  At that point your MRM is at best range, your Light Gauss is one hex inside minimum (coincidentally matching the MRM's modifier), and your UAC/10 is well within optimum range.  That, or you waddle up to about 15 hexes and get a C3 spotter up there to make things more interesting.

The weapons may not all match ranges like an elegantly tuned machine, but they shit out horrific amounts of damage (seriously, it's a 60+ damage heat-neutral alpha strike) and getting them to play nice with each other is not particularly difficult.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #39 on: 01 June 2018, 06:42:33 »
If Ilclan is related or thinks it a descent or successor to the old Star League, then it should have Black Watch IIC for ironic touch.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Nightsong

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #40 on: 01 June 2018, 08:31:47 »
If Ilclan is related or thinks it a descent or successor to the old Star League, then it should have Black Watch IIC for ironic touch.
That could actually work. ATMs or Streak LRMs, Gauss and UAC/10 to keep the flavor of the original?

Register