Author Topic: (Answered) AS:CE Advanced Artillery Optional Rules  (Read 1766 times)

Xochi

• Sergeant
  • Three strengths he gave us.
(Answered) AS:CE Advanced Artillery Optional Rules
« on: 06 May 2020, 19:21:16 »
Hey guys it has been awhile since I poked your brain cases. I am getting myself to wrapped up looking a nuances so I figured one of you might have the answer.

Is the table listed on AS:CE pg. 151 only for off-board attacks? The reason I ask is because in the rear of the manual, AS:CE pg. 209, it has it listed as just Artillery Attack Modifiers (Not Off-board). The spotter modifiers change in that table using optional rule artillery: Does the spotter benefits only apply to off-board attacks. Meaning on-board artillery do not gain benefits from RCN/BH and Successive POI unless the target is further than 42" and it becomes off-board. as those are only listed in the off-board artillery table, even though you are using optional rules.

(Standard Rules pg.  say onboard use only L/PRB within 24")

EDIT: The TLDR, if using Optional Artillery Rules and a mech is 41" away, does my spotter with RCN provides no bonus? But if they are at 43" away they suddenly can add a -1 cause its now considered off-board?
« Last Edit: 06 May 2020, 20:26:51 by nckestrel »

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: AS:CE Advanced Artillery Optional Rules
« Reply #1 on: 06 May 2020, 20:25:04 »
Hey guys it has been awhile since I poked your brain cases. I am getting myself to wrapped up looking a nuances so I figured one of you might have the answer.

Is the table listed on AS:CE pg. 151 only for off-board attacks?

Yes, this is listed as errata. The table title should say Off-Board.

The reason I ask is because in the rear of the manual, AS:CE pg. 209, it has it listed as just Artillery Attack Modifiers (Not Off-board). The spotter modifiers change in that table using optional rule artillery: Does the spotter benefits only apply to off-board attacks. Meaning on-board artillery do not gain benefits from RCN/BH and Successive POI unless the target is further than 42" and it becomes off-board. as those are only listed in the off-board artillery table, even though you are using optional rules.
Correct.  The whole table on p209 (and 151) are for off-board attacks.

(Standard Rules pg.  say onboard use only L/PRB within 24")
Note that the L/PRB within 24" on p47 means the spotter has to be within 24", not the artillery attacker.  Your artillery unit at 42" range can attack and receives the -1 target modifier for spotter with L/PRB if the spotter with L/PRB is within 24" of the target.

EDIT: The TLDR, if using Optional Artillery Rules and a mech is 41" away, does my spotter with RCN provides no bonus? But if they are at 43" away they suddenly can add a -1 cause its now considered off-board?
Correct. RCN units aren't as terrible at calling in off-board artillery (the base +7 to all off-board artillery) as other units.  On-board is still better.  Also remember that off-board means it doesn't land until at least a turn later (43" is more than the 34" maximum for 0 turn flight time). There may not even be a target there any more.  and any use of off-board requires the advanced artillery optional rules.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets