Author Topic: About the Danais DropShip  (Read 3278 times)

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
About the Danais DropShip
« on: 20 June 2015, 19:27:54 »
I recently read the Danais' writeup from (I'm told) The Blake Documents, and I enjoyed the Grey Death Legion getting a shout-out. That shout-out raised a couple questions I'd like to ask the author:

You wrote that the Danais is "based loosely on" its "cousin" the Union. What did you mean by that, in terms of ship structure? Stuff like sharing the same keel and a large portion of their blueprints; or stuff like their ventilation being laid out differently yet still operating on similar principles; or something else?

Did you intend for the "Trojan" variant name to apply only to a specific assortment and configuration of weapons, or was it meant to describe *any* sufficiently upgunned Danais variant? (For the sake of clarity: versions which conceal their weapons and versions which paint extra weapons on are both catalogued as Trojan variants in-universe, correct?) If "Trojan" is specific to only a single configuration of weapons, did you have some explanation in mind for why various shipyards with varying access to various weapons would all converge on that single configuration?
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: About the Danais DropShip
« Reply #1 on: 30 June 2015, 11:12:07 »
Not sure who the author of the Danias was. However I believe I can answer your questions.

"Loosely" means we didn't want to fully define it. This leaves things open for player interpretation. We strive to give players a framework, not an encyclopedia in which to create their game universe.

"Trojan" - Yes. As with a lot of variants of the DropShips this is just one specific set of stats. For any official game or tournament play, these are the only stats you can use for play. In your own game though, you could shuffle things around as you see fit. As a piece of advice, internally we run with a set of common design rules for variants. No change to armor or engine. Don't change the type of Heatsinks (single to double and vis a versa). Don't change number of heat sinks by much (don't double heat sinks).

In the case of the Trojan I would also advise you to keep different variants within about 10% weight change of each other. The weight of the current variant likely represents the amount of easily used space that could be used for modifications without cutting big holes in the hull and support frame.

Note: As a reminder, this is guidance and advice, not the word of BattleTech.
-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: 30 June 2015, 13:22:50 »
I appreciate the attempt to answer.

I agree that the author may not have had any specific meaning in mind. However, the phrase "loosely based on" rules out the Danais being an actual Union hull with different fittings, which makes the phrase less open to interpretation than the simpler phrase "based on." Since the author is clearly making some kind of distinction, I wish to understand the type or degree of distinction the author was trying to make. I mentioned in-universe examples (which do not have to be encylopedic) as a way to help illuminate the author's interpretive framework.

My interest here lies solely with the author's interpretation of the in-universe reality, without regard for how closely that intent reflects canon or gameplay. (Thank you for the insight into how staff do variants, nonetheless.)
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

Welshman

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 30 June 2015, 13:37:25 »
Loosely based means "roughly the same size, shape and performance."

Rough is totally open to interpretation. The Union was a very successful design, so copying its successes was a smart thing. It is not unlike how Honda's new hybrid cars look a heck of a lot like Toyota's Prius models.

-Joel BC-

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: 30 June 2015, 14:00:34 »
"Loosely" also means "not closely." [EDIT: and what you're describing could include ships which are merely "inspired by" the Union, which seems contradicted by the exacting similarity of the weapons and the fact the two ships were built side-by-side.]

It is possible that the author meant the word to mean as little as you say he did, but that's not something you or I can determine without input from that author.

« Last Edit: 30 June 2015, 14:06:23 by skiltao »

Welshman

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 30 June 2015, 20:01:11 »
Hello,

At the end of the day, it means whatever you want it to mean.

This is not the kind of thing we're in the habit of clarifying. Some things are kept vague on purpose.

Thank you,
Joel BC
Catalyst
-Joel BC-

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: 01 July 2015, 13:03:06 »
With respect, Welshman, you again seem to have misunderstood: my question is aimed at the author specifically, not at the writers collectively, and is inquiring more about how the author writes than how the canon (or players, or other authors) interpret his writing.

(I don't necessarily expect the author to remember exactly what he was thinking however many years ago, and it's always possible that the word was inserted by one of the editors. )

If anyone recalls who the author is, that would be helpful. The following people are credited with the "Rules Annex" section in which the Trojan appears--knowing who didn't author the entry would also be helpful:

Herbert A. Beas II
David L. McCulloch
Ken Horner
Nick “Gunslinger” Marsala
Jim Rapkins
Ben H. Rome
Björn Schmidt
« Last Edit: 01 July 2015, 13:15:35 by skiltao »

Welshman

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 01 July 2015, 16:24:11 »
No, I do understand, thank you. I'm aware of who is credited on the product and also who worked on it in the background.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes "loosely based" just means "loosely based" and has no other secret motive to it.

Thank you,
Joel
Catalyst
-Joel BC-