Author Topic: Newbie question  (Read 4839 times)

billclo

• Sergeant
Newbie question
« on: 28 January 2011, 08:51:13 »
Hi. I'm getting back into Battletech after not playing for many years. I played from about 1986 to about 1994-5 or so. Old school player here.

I keep seeing mention of Unseen and Reseen mechs, but I have not seen any mention of why these mechs are forbidden to talk about/show pictures of. I'm sure it is an issue that's been around so long that among regular Battletech players it's just a unspoken assumption or some such, but to a new guy it's an unknown concept.

Can you help me out?

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
Re: Newbie question
« Reply #1 on: 28 January 2011, 09:00:29 »
Simply put, the Unseen were a bunch of 'Mechs (although the list is smaller now...there were also at least one fighter and maybe a couple other things that could have been involved) whose images were not created by FASA, but taken from other sources, primarily shows that were Japanese in origin...legal action took place between FASA and another American company that felt it owned sole rights to all images from said shows...eventually the images (and even the mention) of these 'Mechs was removed from BTech because of this, as well as those images of any other 'Mechs that FASA did not create in house and solely own...

The Reseen refers to new models of these 'Mechs, etc. which have had new artwork made for them that pays homage to the original artwork, but is sufficiently different as to no pose legal issues...

We still have rules against showing images of the Unseen in posts made here so that there is no (or at least limited) possibilities of legal action taking place...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Damage Inc.

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 28 January 2011, 09:14:49 »
Ruger's got the gist of it, but if you want a little more detail, take a look at the General Minis sub-forum.  There is a stickied thread all bout the reseen and unseen.

billclo

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 28 January 2011, 09:28:47 »
Thanks for the info; I'll check out the minis forum and their list.

Davor

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 31 January 2011, 18:06:11 »
We still have rules against showing images of the Unseen in posts made here so that there is no (or at least limited) possibilities of legal action taking place...

Ruger
Well I am not sure how much these rules are enforced. I see a few pics of the original Unseen/Reseen. Espically in some people's Avatars on the left.

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 31 January 2011, 18:13:58 »
Having the unseen as an avatar is one of the few places that it is legal to have. 

Davor

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 31 January 2011, 19:17:22 »
Having the unseen as an avatar is one of the few places that it is legal to have.

OH good to know, then maybe I will choose one. Do they have to be the ones supplied here or can I use my own?

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: 31 January 2011, 19:23:48 »
<Custom is the most interesting.

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 31 January 2011, 19:46:06 »
Definatley can use your own. Some of us spend far too much time makeing them for anyones good.
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

Sgtops54

• Private
« Reply #9 on: 31 January 2011, 19:47:41 »
I still have a lot of unseen mins from the 80's. I miss seeing them in print.

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 31 January 2011, 19:50:11 »
well, some of the formerly unseen will probably show in print from time to time now.

And I feel it is my duty to everyone's sanity that we all stop and think before we post before this becomes another "why Harmony Gold must die a horrible horrible death" thread
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: 31 January 2011, 19:56:36 »
The record sheets and mechs in-universe are still in print. It's only the images that are not. In fact the infamous Jaime Wolf's Archer just got its official record sheet in the 3085 record sheets after 25 years of us guessing. And a lot of Royal Variants of the unseen got prints in 3075 and Op:Klondike

I also funded a new Shadowhawk (the Primitive first version) and a coalition  funded the 3025 T-bolt with variant parts. I think the other no-longer-unseen will follow suit in the next few years.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #12 on: 31 January 2011, 20:01:28 »
Well I am not sure how much these rules are enforced. I see a few pics of the original Unseen/Reseen. Espically in some people's Avatars on the left.

Please reread rule 8. It specifies what is allowed, and what is not.

Thank you,

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 31 January 2011, 20:37:17 »
The record sheets and mechs in-universe are still in print. It's only the images that are not. In fact the infamous Jaime Wolf's Archer just got its official record sheet in the 3085 record sheets after 25 years of us guessing. And a lot of Royal Variants of the unseen got prints in 3075 and Op:Klondike

Where was his mech in RS 3085?  I don't remember seeing it.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #14 on: 31 January 2011, 20:42:09 »
Where was his mech in RS 3085?  I don't remember seeing it.

Archer Wolf in RS 3085 Unabridged Project Phoenix...

Ruger

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 31 January 2011, 22:08:18 »
Archer Wolf in RS 3085 Unabridged Project Phoenix...

Ruger

Dang how did I miss that!  Thanks!  Thats one very cool version.

Register