Author Topic: Possible Sperry-Browning, link between Crimson Skies and Battletech?  (Read 715 times)

Luciora

• Major
Am on a Crimson Skies nostalgia kick at the moment, re-installed the PC game and ordered the planes that are available from IWM to paint when I found out Sperry-Browning made MGs for the Crimson Skies universe as well!  Small world!

I know Battletech already has its Historical basis, but now I wish Crimson Skies was in that past.

What does anyone else think?

RifleMech

• Major
Am on a Crimson Skies nostalgia kick at the moment, re-installed the PC game and ordered the planes that are available from IWM to paint when I found out Sperry-Browning made MGs for the Crimson Skies universe as well!  Small world!

I know Battletech already has its Historical basis, but now I wish Crimson Skies was in that past.

What does anyone else think?

I think it'd be very cool if the fighters from Crimson Skies were available for use in Battletech.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
the Sperry Company was an electronics and machinery company. IRL it merged with a series of other companies and ended up under Unisys with part of its operations owned variably by lockheen, northrop, etc. their main claim to fame was in electro-mechanical instrumentation and mounting systems.
the 1940's, Sperry Corporation developed a mounting system for Browning .50 calibre M2 machineguns that enabled them to be used in a ball turret on the B-25 and B-17 bombers.
the M2 Browning has been built by a bewildering array of licensed manufacturers.

in Crimson Skies, those companies would still exist, just with their products employed differently. in BT evidently the sperry company continued on under its own name and developed a version of the browning MG suited to remote operation as part of a vehicle or mech.

Register