Author Topic: Best close air support- type, weapon and canon design?  (Read 8349 times)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
Re: Best close air support- type, weapon and canon design?
« Reply #30 on: 18 August 2017, 23:01:59 »
I'd take clan Xerxes myself, standard, 2 and 3. Pairing them with Points of Chippewa IICs.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

GermanSumo

• Sergeant
« Reply #31 on: 19 August 2017, 17:54:39 »
Now, conventional aircraft can't use alt munitions under standard rules, but otherwise, the MechBuster satisfies basically both.
3025? SRM or AC/20 version. Later, LB-20X version.
Simple and cheap.
Unfortunate Inferno Bombs aren't standard rules...

EDIT Wait, aerospace units with LB-20Xs must use cluster rounds always unless playing with house rules, no?

if its srm6s and the big acBOOM, why most people dont mention a riever for this role? i never knew ground support rules for asf, but the riever looks great for that on paper. but i never read anybody saying that the riever is one of their favourite fighters. why is that so?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #32 on: 19 August 2017, 21:33:29 »
Because there are better things . . . for instance, UAC/20 which would do 30 pts of damage IIRC.  Or plasma rifles and to a lesser extent cannons as mentioned before.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #33 on: 20 August 2017, 00:52:26 »
The rules have never been clear if shots from cluster guns and such use the averages and 5-point hits when attacking ground units, or if the abstract is only used in air-to-air shots.

The example for a strike attack on page 245 of total warfare does just that.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #34 on: 23 August 2017, 16:28:03 »
if its srm6s and the big acBOOM, why most people dont mention a riever for this role? i never knew ground support rules for asf, but the riever looks great for that on paper. but i never read anybody saying that the riever is one of their favourite fighters. why is that so?

I said that just a few posts above. Nice to meet a kindred soul, though.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #35 on: 24 August 2017, 12:24:44 »
My personal love is for the Hawk Moth.

A light gauss rifle that moves 8/12 on board is a tough customer. It can stay outside your range and snipe you, and almost always dictate the range. In packs they get especially nasty.  But really only works for battlemechs and vehicles.

For anti-infantry work a Warrior H-10. paired heavy machine guns and a 5t BA bay means you can take out infantry and then drop battle armour to finish the job.
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

Boomer8

• Corporal
  • Caballeros Forever!
« Reply #36 on: 08 December 2017, 16:01:34 »
Because there are better things . . . for instance, UAC/20 which would do 30 pts of damage IIRC.  Or plasma rifles and to a lesser extent cannons as mentioned before.

I trust you have noticed the F-700b variant of the Riever, with an UAC-20 and 10 Streak 6 racks? At least that seems to be the loadout Sarna lists.
Victor W. Milan (1954-2018) Taken before he finished.

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: 10 December 2017, 06:07:45 »
I would like a attack VTOL with a Light PPC and a Thunderbolt 10 . The problem with Yellow Jackets is that they slow with thin armor.

anastrace

• Corporal
« Reply #38 on: 21 December 2017, 11:01:41 »
In the era before I stopped playing (3060ish), the yellow jacket and hawk moths were fun to keep at standoff distance with their guns. In the 3025 era I used good old AC/2 Warriors to plink away outside everyone's range. (last week playing with an old friend of mine, I did manage to drop an assault mech with a karnov that was carrying a frankly obscene amount of rockets, so that was fun!)

ASF or CFwise, I've used Stingrays to great effect, with the occasional mechbuster (or for super cheap fun, planetlifters as they cost next to nothing BV wise, and you can strap a bunch of bombs on them, which I used to drop mines in strategic places)

Of course these days, the tech has really leaped forward....so I'm not sure about the 3150 era. With all the AA vehicles I've seen in the new materials, all I can say is prepare to provide for your pilots next of kin if they are doing CAS.
Missiles, how do they work? (Seriously, guided bottle rockets?)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 22 December 2017, 14:13:59 »
I would like a attack VTOL with a Light PPC and a Thunderbolt 10 . The problem with Yellow Jackets is that they slow with thin armor.
Try Kamakiri. http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Kamakiri
A bit slow perhaps, and the reflective armor may not be the smartest move but packs quite a bit of punch.
Has iHGR variant for stupid strong punch.

Register