Author Topic: Optional Unit Compositions  (Read 2016 times)

willis

• Master Sergeant
Optional Unit Compositions
« on: 01 October 2018, 21:21:22 »
I would like to share some of my ideas for unit compositions and dropship load-outs. I did choose the old workhorse, the Overlord class.

I often thought as to why it was designed for mech/fighters only, then the Lee came alone and really lit the fires of my imagination. So I totaled the mech/fighter cubicles up, got a total of 6,300 tons of cargo space. The I calculated the best combined arms ratio, starting with armor and infantry.

First option: Assault Infantry Battalion
Based on the original 45 vehicle battalion of the early game, with the ratio of 36 combat vehicles and with an additional 9 infantry transport vehicles, each transporting 28 troops, which make an Infantry company of 252 troopers. Each vehicle bay is calculated at a mass of 100 tons and infantry massing at 7 tons per platoon.
Each company has 12 combat vehicles, 3 IFVs and 84 infantry. Cargo capacity calculated at 1,737 tons of cargo.

Second option: Mechanized Infantry Battalion
Like the Assault Infantry Battalion, based on the 45 vehicle battalion and 252 infantry, the changes are in the ration of combat vehicles and APCs. This battalion has 27 combat vehicles, and 18 heavy APCs, each with a transport capacity of 14 infantry each. Each company has 9 combat vehicles, 6 Hv APCs and 84 infantry. Cargo capacity calculated at 1,737 tons of cargo.

Third option: Motorized Infantry Battalion
Like the previously mentioned formations, the total vehicles, infantry and cargo are the same, but with the vehicle ration, this unit only has 9 combat vehicles to support the infantry, and 36 light APCs, and they are able of transporting only 7 infantry per vehicle.

As you can see, I did a full on combined arms approach, integrating armor/infantry into a mutually supporting combat unit.

For battlemechs, I took inspiration from the augmented lance/company/battalion and applied it to my mech formation. Using the mech cubicle mass, 150 tons per unit and the battlearmor bay mass of two tons per unit and devised a combined arms unit composed of 30 'Mechs and 120 Battle Armor, each mech transporting 4 powered infantry. The calculated cargo capacity is at 1,560 tons.

I guess you are wondering where are the aerospace fighter cubicles....I removed them to provide addition cargo capacity. Based on the original cargo capacity, less than 100 tons, I seriously doubt they could break out of a contested LZ before retreating, and these ships are designed to get boots on the ground.

I will be posting some assault formations that will be covering combat and aerospace fighters.

drakensis

• Lieutenant
Re: Optional Unit Compositions
« Reply #1 on: 02 October 2018, 01:45:25 »
Does this really belong under fanfiction?
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 02 October 2018, 19:16:54 »
Should be non canon units. :thumbsup:
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

willis

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 02 October 2018, 19:36:52 »
How do I get this moved?

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 03 October 2018, 01:06:39 »
Just ask the mods to move it.
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

willis

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 03 October 2018, 12:59:40 »
TY

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 03 October 2018, 13:22:20 »
I gotcha