Author Topic: Clan Hell's Horses Alpha Galaxy painting log.  (Read 2580 times)

willydstyle

• Captain
Re: Clan Hell's Horses Alpha Galaxy painting log.
« Reply #30 on: 18 May 2024, 01:50:10 »
Next up for paint is a Timberwolf S conversion, since apparently I'm allergic to Prime configurations

willydstyle

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 19 May 2024, 15:59:06 »
I spent massive amounts of time trying to paint the timberwolf to the best of my capabilities and stressing over tiny details, and then I speed painted this Incubus in less than an hour total.

thesilverback

• Corporal
« Reply #32 on: 20 May 2024, 16:54:39 »
Great looking paint job. I really like the color combo that you have going on.  :smilie_happy_thumbup:
6th Federated Suns Armored Cavalry (Hillbillies with Guns) - 24/432 - 5.56% painted

willydstyle

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: 21 May 2024, 02:51:14 »
Here's the entire force so far. Overall I think they look good and I feel like I've learned a lot since getting back into mini painting at the start of this project, although I would say my progression feels more zig zaggy than linear improvement.

Considering what I already have painted, which 3 mechs should I paint next to fill out the two Mech stars? Here's what I have available:

My thoughts are maybe the Dire Wolf and Warhammer (as one of the canon Clan refits) to finish off the heavier star as an Assault Star? Then I',m thinking the Vapor Eagle to run the lighter mechs as a Striker Star? What do y'all think?

ISD

• Master Sergeant
    • Project Mumblings
« Reply #34 on: 22 May 2024, 06:49:25 »
Fantastic-looking paintwork and I'm always a *happy camper* seeing modifications :smilie_happy_thumbup:
Clan Jade Falcon
Gamma Galaxy
3rd Falcon Talon Cluster

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 22 May 2024, 11:34:21 »
Considering what I already have painted, which 3 mechs should I paint next to fill out the two Mech stars? Here's what I have available:

My thoughts are maybe the Dire Wolf and Warhammer (as one of the canon Clan refits) to finish off the heavier star as an Assault Star? Then I',m thinking the Vapor Eagle to run the lighter mechs as a Striker Star? What do y'all think?

That could work.

It looks more like a Cavalry Binary to me, so while the Dire Wolf is a great anchor, it is an expensive and slow one.  Definitely go with a Warhammer C, as that would probably fit better than a Rifleman C or Rifleman IIC, even if the rest of the Star would leave it behind.

I love the Vapor Eagle, and it fits in well with the Mongrel and Nova, operating in between their movement profiles, with it's only problem being a non-Omni (though I imagine your Elementals will be riding the Eponas and Hephaestus more often).  If you are looking for another mobile ride for the Elementals, the Mist Lynx is the best option from your list, with the Stormcrow being a heavier option.

If you're not caring about Elemental rides, the Horned Owl makes for a good backstop psuedo-Scout that isn't too expensive if you lose it.  The Conjurer pairs well with the Vapor Eagle as well (the combo nearly tore apart a reinforced lance in a campaign we're in, if it wasn't for a couple lucky Head hits and de-legging, the unit might not have reported back).

The Piranha is a fast unit and can Scout, but I'd only bring it out to play if you face a lot of ConvInf, or you really like backstabbing with Machine Guns.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

willydstyle

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: 22 May 2024, 13:22:48 »
That could work.

It looks more like a Cavalry Binary to me, so while the Dire Wolf is a great anchor, it is an expensive and slow one.  Definitely go with a Warhammer C, as that would probably fit better than a Rifleman C or Rifleman IIC, even if the rest of the Star would leave it behind.

I love the Vapor Eagle, and it fits in well with the Mongrel and Nova, operating in between their movement profiles, with it's only problem being a non-Omni (though I imagine your Elementals will be riding the Eponas and Hephaestus more often).  If you are looking for another mobile ride for the Elementals, the Mist Lynx is the best option from your list, with the Stormcrow being a heavier option.

If you're not caring about Elemental rides, the Horned Owl makes for a good backstop psuedo-Scout that isn't too expensive if you lose it.  The Conjurer pairs well with the Vapor Eagle as well (the combo nearly tore apart a reinforced lance in a campaign we're in, if it wasn't for a couple lucky Head hits and de-legging, the unit might not have reported back).

The Piranha is a fast unit and can Scout, but I'd only bring it out to play if you face a lot of ConvInf, or you really like backstabbing with Machine Guns.

I think I'm actually leaning towards the Warhammer and Stormcrow (probably run the C variant) in the heavier star as a Heavy Striker Star, then the Vapor Eagle for the lighter star as a Striker star. What's your opinion on that?

Fantastic-looking paintwork and I'm always a *happy camper* seeing modifications :smilie_happy_thumbup:

Thank you very much :)

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #37 on: 22 May 2024, 18:57:45 »
Silly me, I forgot to say that your painting is great, and leagues ahead of my own.

I think I'm actually leaning towards the Warhammer and Stormcrow (probably run the C variant) in the heavier star as a Heavy Striker Star, then the Vapor Eagle for the lighter star as a Striker star. What's your opinion on that?

It definitely works.  You can use the Warhammer as an anchor, with the Executioner bouncing between that and a striker.  The Timber Wolf, Gargoyle, and Stormcrow run around causing problems as they do.

I've already given my points on the Vapor Eagle, and think its a prime choice, especially if the unit won't go Nova.

Just need another Enyo to fill out your pseudo Vehicle Nova.  Are you planning on going full Nova with 10 Vehicles and 5 Elemental Squads, or keeping this Star as is?
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

willydstyle

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: 22 May 2024, 19:04:28 »
Silly me, I forgot to say that your painting is great, and leagues ahead of my own.

It definitely works.  You can use the Warhammer as an anchor, with the Executioner bouncing between that and a striker.  The Timber Wolf, Gargoyle, and Stormcrow run around causing problems as they do.

I've already given my points on the Vapor Eagle, and think its a prime choice, especially if the unit won't go Nova.

Just need another Enyo to fill out your pseudo Vehicle Nova.  Are you planning on going full Nova with 10 Vehicles and 5 Elemental Squads, or keeping this Star as is?

I have a second enyo because they come in two packs, but I'm annoyingly missing one of the tracks. I similarly have an Anhur but I should have two. I actually found the missing minis/bits not long ago but then I lost them again lol. But yeah, the goal is a vee/elemental Nova, although in actual games I rarely run canon unit sizes/formations due to BV limitations.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #39 on: 22 May 2024, 20:53:58 »
although in actual games I rarely run canon unit sizes/formations due to BV limitations.

That's almost always the case unless on runs really light.  It's one reason I don't stick to canon paint schemes myself (the other being a basic painting ability).

willydstyle

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: 23 May 2024, 22:44:33 »
That's almost always the case unless on runs really light.  It's one reason I don't stick to canon paint schemes myself (the other being a basic painting ability).

I have two wolves inside me: one that doesn't care about the lore and hasn't read a single BT novel, and one that doesn't feel right unless I make some effort to run faction-appropriate forces, lol

Anyways, thanks for your kind words and your feedback, you've been very helpful!

Register