Author Topic: What movies are we watching: B-Movie Blitz  (Read 157211 times)

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
Re: What movies are we watching: B-Movie Blitz
« Reply #510 on: 06 March 2018, 18:06:28 »
I thought the humor was what balanced out the "I found my father" notes that could (or "may") have descended into mawkishness.  I enjoyed it a lot, but anything that starts with an ELO song gets a pass from me.
« Last Edit: 06 March 2018, 18:08:05 by Banzai »

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #511 on: 06 March 2018, 20:51:56 »
My thoughts exactly.  The first movie had a fairly good balance of action to comedy.  The second doubled down on the comedy at the expense of everything else.

I would've been okay with comedy, but GotG's idea of "funny" was "here's a pop culture reference! Laugh, you swine!"

I thought the humor was what balanced out the "I found my father" notes that could (or "may") have descended into mawkishness.  I enjoyed it a lot, but anything that starts with an ELO song gets a pass from me.

I won't say the movie ruined that song for me, but it sure tried its hardest.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #512 on: 07 March 2018, 00:05:50 »
Weirdest choice of movie posters art..

"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pimpin' Mopar Goodness since the Dawn of Time
« Reply #513 on: 07 March 2018, 12:56:27 »
Weirdest choice of movie posters art..

WTH?

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #514 on: 07 March 2018, 13:12:05 »
Jumanji 2 Welcome to the Jungle - 7/10

Weak storyline, but good plotting, decent dialogue and good acting by all including the kids. Helped by the fact that I could just gaze at a non-metallic-blue Karen Gillan all day...

DC could learn a heck of a lot from the opening sequence leading up to the game entry. Its a moviemaking textbook in introducing the characters and kickstarting the action.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #515 on: 20 March 2018, 14:18:42 »
Well, just got back from watching Black panther..  LOVED IT.  Not as good as maybe Avengers 3 (well capt 3) or thor 3, but still a nice entry for the marvel films.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #516 on: 20 March 2018, 17:22:05 »
Picked up Thor: Ragnarok on Blu-ray at the used place.  (Gotta love someone who watches it once and gets rid of it.)  I am really looking forward to Taika Waititi's director's commentary. 

As far as the film itself, I love it.  After watching the Team Thor: While You Were Fighting and Team Thor: Part 2 shorts, which were also directed by Waititi, I knew Hemsworth could do far more comedy than he was given, and this played that out in spades.  Also as  long time comics reader, seeing Jack Kirby's art style and color palate in action was a joy, Kirby Krackles and all.  And in all that they managed to move a character arc on two of the characters who most resisted that in the MCU in Thor and Loki.   Oh, and "Immigrant Song." 

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #517 on: 20 March 2018, 23:03:44 »
Picked up Thor: Ragnarok on Blu-ray at the used place.  (Gotta love someone who watches it once and gets rid of it.)

How much did it cost at the used place?  Every time i've been to stores like "Buyback dvd" or "Half price books" their 'used dvds' are within 3-4 dollars of the NEW ones" for most marvel films..

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #518 on: 20 March 2018, 23:45:11 »
OK just grabbed time to watch three movies from SF to Hong Kong.

1.  Fight Club - OK OK OK, I know all you guys saw this long long ago, but I had never seen it.  The movie was not at all what I was expecting.  I liked it quite a bit and liked that it was an original storyline.  So I would have to recommend this. 

2.  12 Angry Men - The original.  In Black & White with Henry Fonda.  I saw this long ago but felt it was time for a re-watch.  It still holds up as a relevant movie.  It's still a classic and everyone should see it. 

3.  Justice League - I'm not a comic book fan.  Nothing against them just not how I wanted to spend my money.  I have enjoyed most of the Marvel movies.  This one was OK.  I guess I don't care for the casting of Superman and Batman.  Love the casting of Aquaman and Wonder Woman.  Fun movie to watch if you need to kill time. 

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #519 on: 21 March 2018, 00:28:46 »
I sometimes think I'm the only person on Earth that didn't like Fight Club.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #520 on: 21 March 2018, 04:48:50 »

I think that about Blade Runner.

I think they have that on the plane right now.  Might have to try it again.  I hated it so much the first time I almost walked out of the theatre back in the day

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #521 on: 21 March 2018, 07:25:50 »

I am genuinely surprised that more people don't like it.

I think they have that on the plane right now.  Might have to try it again.  I hated it so much the first time I almost walked out of the theatre back in the day

Blade Runner is kind of garbage in its theatrical release. The Director's Cut is far better, as it cuts out most of Harrison Ford's voiceover work, and the bold choice of having him narrate things that aren't actually happening. I do think Blade Runner is well worth the watch for Rutger Hauer's closing monologue.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #522 on: 21 March 2018, 09:30:50 »

Every time I tried watching Blade Runner I fell asleep.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

(SMD)MadCow

• Lieutenant
  • 1st Earl of the Bixby Duchy
« Reply #523 on: 21 March 2018, 12:51:28 »
Recently watched:
Thor Ragnarok - very entertaining, lots of fun.
Number 9 - weird, but intriguing as it takes you through the discovery of its post apocalyptic setting.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #524 on: 21 March 2018, 15:03:09 »

Nope you both are not the only one.  I've never really gotten into the whole fight club hype.  And i always thought blade runner was just 'ok.'

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #525 on: 22 March 2018, 12:29:31 »
How much did it cost at the used place?  Every time i've been to stores like "Buyback dvd" or "Half price books" their 'used dvds' are within 3-4 dollars of the NEW ones" for most marvel films..

It was $15, $7-10 bucks off new, just because it was new.  A couple months from now it will probably be down to $8.99.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #526 on: 22 March 2018, 13:50:29 »
Guess i am a cheap scate, i wait till i can get it for a fiver or less...

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #527 on: 22 March 2018, 15:58:02 »
I was contemplating paying full price, which I almost never do. 

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #528 on: 23 March 2018, 11:57:31 »
Troll Hunter, 2010.  I tired quickly of "found footage" movies, but even after 8 years, this one still holds up well.

Otto Jespersen yelling "TROLL!" never fails to make me laugh.

Meow Liao

• Warrant Officer
  • The PPC Kitty
« Reply #529 on: 30 March 2018, 19:02:06 »
Monday was the two year mark of recording Mirrormask on the dvr, so it was finally time to clear the space.  So I watched that, and I find I can't erase it.  I will have to watch it at least one more time. The visuals of the dream land call for at least one more visit.  And I had no idea it was Neil Gaiman until I noticed his name on the opening info page.  About six weeks ago, I recorded Neil Gaiman: Dream Dangerously.  Some docu from the Indie channel.  I know he is popular, so I snagged it so I can pretend to have a clue if his name comes up.    ???

Meow Liao

Have some plum wine with that PPC.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #530 on: 30 March 2018, 23:37:20 »
Got done with doing a re-watch on the Statham films Transporter 1 and 2..  Been a while since i saw the first, but not imo as good as the 2nd..  Though much better than the third!

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #531 on: 02 April 2018, 17:00:43 »
I hated it so much the first time I almost walked out of the theatre back in the day

I highly recommend 2049. Even if you disliked the original.
Along with the anime short films that segue into the new story.
I'll catch flak for this, but it was my favorite film of 2017.   

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #532 on: 02 April 2018, 17:01:40 »
Corvette Summer, Mark Hamill's 1978 follow up to Star Wars. I have been hunting for this one for years.   

It is absolutely a summer drive-in movie, which is where I saw it for the first time.  Hamill plays Kenny, an awkward gearhead high school senior who's auto shop class rebuilds and customizes a 1973 Stingray. (I was very disappointed in auto shop after this movie.  No Corvette rebuilding.)   It is promptly stolen during the class's first field trip cruising it on Van Nuys. (Also disappointing in auto shop: no cruising field trips.) Rather than graduating, Kenny follows a rumor that "his" car in in Las Vegas.  While hitch-hiking he gets picked up by Annie Potts's Vanessa, a hooker-in-training who wants to move from amateur to professional status. Hijinks ensue.   It is pretty mindless, Hamill's acting is pretty wooden, and Potts's is pretty great (she was nominated for a Golden Globe for the role). On the whole it is still as fun as I remembered it from forty years ago. 

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #533 on: 09 April 2018, 14:39:20 »
saw ready player one....
disappointed could had stayed at home and enjoy doctor who with tom baker instead and enjoyed it whole lot more
spare yourself the agony dont bother seeing ready player one. do watch c span instead...
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #534 on: 09 April 2018, 16:08:29 »
That surprises me not one bit. Of course, I simply don't feel much in the way of nostalgia in general, so a movie based 100% on that is not going to hold any interest for me.

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #535 on: 10 April 2018, 04:19:10 »
Every time I tried watching Blade Runner I fell asleep.

I tried on the airplane - I feel asleep

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #536 on: 10 April 2018, 08:12:06 »
saw ready player one....
disappointed could had stayed at home and enjoy doctor who with tom baker instead and enjoyed it whole lot more
spare yourself the agony dont bother seeing ready player one. do watch c span instead...
Am I projecting, or did I see a Warkhawk Prime amongst the forces that heeded Parzival's call?
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #537 on: 10 April 2018, 08:22:32 »
I liked Ready Player One just for all the Easter eggs in the movie. Story line and certain things were just the standard movie to me.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #538 on: 10 April 2018, 11:09:40 »
Am I projecting, or did I see a Warkhawk Prime amongst the forces that heeded Parzival's call?
no i made the same observation when i saw the trailers...about 6 week back
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Snake Eyes

• Lieutenant
  • I am here to keep the peace
« Reply #539 on: 11 April 2018, 15:41:54 »
All five Sharknado movies and Doom.

Watched all the Godfather movies with my wife (she really liked them)

Register