Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Didn’t she just go and convince them to show up for the ilClan Trial?  Seems like whatever problems they may once have had with her are over and done.
Novel and Sourcebook Reviews / Re: "Legacy"
« Last post by Arkansas Warrior on Today at 21:35:01 »
Just finished it. Really fun concept.  I wouldn’t mind seeing something similar pop up over time in Shrapnel, following some other mech’s career.  trboturtle, even though it was a fraction of one story, I was glad to see Little Rock appear.  First time my home state (and the city I work in) have ever appeared in a BT story.  If you (or anyone else reading this) ever sets anything else in Arkansas again, PM me, I can provide local knowledge of geography etc (not that I expect the city to look the same in a thousand years, of course).
It would be interesting if he just handed them all off to Anastasia to form the core of the new SLDF.  They know her, she knows them,

on the other hand that could be a problem
Aerospace Combat / FC Naval Command Decision
« Last post by Minemech on Today at 21:29:15 »
 The Federated Commonwealth avoided turbulence when a hairbrained scheme by Katherine backfired at a young age. It is now 3063 and you are involved in the decision-making process of the navy and have been tasked to determine how to handle the issue of the Fox Corvette. She is a brick, but is armed with popguns, lacks combat thrust, and seems an overly expensive Jolly Rogers. Worse, she drains resources by demanding the production of the Overlord A-3. The consensus is that whatever happens, it will likely either remain a light warship or a transport Jumpship of some variety. The Overlord A-3 will also likely remain in production. How would you handle this?

At this time the Free Worlds League navy is strong, and the Invading Clans have formed a united naval command, similar to the homeworld defense fleet to counterbalance the growing Inner Sphere threat. Furthermore, the Combine finally learned how to make Battleships work and Theodore is growing distant due to internal politics.

Regardless of your choice, those ships active in service will remain so.
Off Topic / Re: NHL 2023-2024 Vegas Edition: Mojave, Mo' Problems
« Last post by gyedid on Today at 21:17:06 »
See ya next season, Mr. and Mrs. LTIR!
 :evil:  :grin:

Cheers,

Gabe
And as for "the current system working for someone", just whom benefitted from the romanoist system, besides Romano herself (and perhaps her thuggee supporters, whom weren't that much of a thing as yet back then)?

So pray tell, where could opposition to Xin Sheng come from? The thuggees? Now THAT would be confounding in disbelief (hope I'm using "confounding" rightly, but you get the point).

Except SunTzu Liao didn't just "change how things where under his mother" (although keep in mind there are people who will rise to the top, or a comfortable position in any system who won't like change) STL did numerous things, just off the top of my head he changed the ranking system of the military, he changed the FLAG (and given he replaced the Katana with a Dao he basicly threw out an important family symbol "cause we need to be chinese!") he also implimented safe guards for servitors, which would certainly upset some people (one only need to look to the history of american civil war to see what happens when you tell people they can't abuse a opressed population as badly anymore)
Hell we saw in one of the sourcebooks (wanna say the sourcebook titled "inner sphere" but it might have been "shattered sphere") it mention that the capcon in the 3060s was developing a racism problem.
It's up for diagestion.  The annual Maple Leafs euology (40 mins long).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeqL6-iV4PQ

Without completely spoiling the ending, his conclusions are probably correct on what will likely unfold this off season.
tin droplet radiators are fun, so this is a cool idea.  You dont necessarily need to spray in a vacuum either.  You can make a transparent to infrared liquid material that is enclosed in a transparent to infrared bubble, and pump your metal fountain onto the bubble protruding out of your ship.  The metal, so long as it stays mobile, will cool and flow back down with minimal pumping from the hot internal side to the space side.  This lets you spray metal under some thrust without losing coolant mass, with the infrared heat radiating out into space.  Taking damage to the bubble enclosure from weapon impacts means you start losing reaction mass, as its not being collected, but at the same time now you have open cycle cooling.

For gameplay though, this is tough to implement for space ships.  The reason being that space ships have so much tonnage, cooling systems are a mere afterthought, and heat issues are easily solved.  The fact that warships have heat at all is silly--the math is cumbersome to figure out how many bays your mckenna can shoot.  12650 heat sinks with 900, 135, 40, 255 heat bays is just a pain in the butt to actually add up on the table.  Its the worst kind of gameplay loop IMHO.  Unlike with mechs where riding the heat is a risk reward thing, with various penalties as you heat up leading to dramatic shutdown or ammo rolls, heat is aerospace has no gameplay pay off, and the numbers involved are WAY higher then the 30 scale we have for mechs to count.  You just cant/arnt allowed to over heat in space.  Thus, its just useless math homework, and for just .2% of the ships tonnage you can easily add more HS to a mckenna to avoid stupid busywork.

I bring that up because, while I think the 'metal fountain' idea is cool, the base system the idea is working with is totally pointless to begin with.  HS tonnage isnt a limiting factor, nor is the heat gameplay loop interactive or fun at all.  Just some of the flaws of the battlespace framework.  So I dont see how this heat system will help dropships.  The castrum has 1200 cooling and 1109 in weapon heat, and despite being one of the most well armed dropships that exist it still has enough tonnage left to add 16000 more heat dissipation without issue. 

If the metal droplet let the castrum have triple HS, for example, instead of doubles, the castrum would save 200 tons, and the cooling system would go from 236 tons in heat sinks to 36 tons.  200 tons of weight saving is a .2% mass difference, on something with 8.8k unused tons as it is.  HS are such a tiny unnecessary part of dropships that I dont know if these special rules are worth the trouble any possible rules for damage or G maneuvers would add sadly, which is true of a lot of the aerospace systems.
Off Topic / Re: What are we Reading Now: Conan the Librarian
« Last post by Top Sergeant on Today at 20:43:07 »
Mortar Gunner on the Eastern Front

I am enjoying the view from a that of a Private rather than a General, politician or historian.
Well you are right about Pewter prices being insane.  Sadly nothing IWM can do about that.   But honestly the only reason plastic is that much cheaper is because they are making it in China.   If you look at the CGL Premium line (which has the worse quality control on earth) those are not that much cheaper depending on the model.  Yes they are cheaper but nothing like the force pack mechs.   

My real concern is can CGL keep the cost of the plastic under control.   A lance pack started at $20.    They are now with this kickstarter going to be $30 bucks that is a 50% price increase in a few short years.   If that keeps up you have to wonder of plastic is going to stay affordable.

This is true to a point, but economies of scale also matter. They are producing literally three or four orders of magnitude more of each plastic ‘mech than they are premium minis. It’s probably closer to five orders of magnitude than IWM produces for all bi the most popular sculpts.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Register