Author Topic: (Answered) AC Precision Ammo [Further] Clarification  (Read 3282 times)

Zen

• Private
(Answered) AC Precision Ammo [Further] Clarification
« on: 18 February 2014, 20:17:32 »
I am not so satisfied by the answers given in this thread as it is still unclear.

So, my question is: When an AC Precision Ammo is being used, does it entails not adding ANY To-Hit Modifiers including Range Modifiers, Target Movement Modifiers, Target Modifiers, Target Type Modifiers, Terrain Modifiers, and Miscellaneous modifiers? (Page 78 of the Alpha Strike Rulebook)
« Last Edit: 19 February 2014, 12:58:21 by nckestrel »

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: AC Precision Ammo [Further] Clarification
« Reply #1 on: 18 February 2014, 20:40:08 »
No to-hit modifier from the AC precision ammo.  It does not negate other to-hit modifiers. All the usual rules for calculating to-hit modifiers still apply (still +2 for medium range, etc).
Using AC precision ammo with a standard weapon attack (using full short/medium/long date value of the unit) has no effect on the to-hit target or roll.  There is only a damage bonus.

If you want a to-hit modifier from using AC precision ammo you must make a special attack that only uses the AC damage values and then you can ignore part/all of the target movement modifier.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Zen

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 18 February 2014, 20:56:38 »
Oooooooooooooh  :o So there's no to-hit modifiers from the AC Precision Ammo itself when using a standard weapon attack.

If you want a to-hit modifier from using AC precision ammo you must make a special attack that only uses the AC damage values and then you can ignore part/all of the target movement modifier.
I am confused when you say "ignore part/all of the target movement modifier" because if you only use the AC special ability, it just says to apply a -2 To-Hit Modifier instead of the Damage Bonus of 1. It does not say anything like "and then ignore ALL target movement modifiers".

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 18 February 2014, 21:06:12 »
I'm on my phone so I can't look up the actual word of the rule.  The important part was if you want any effect on to-hit, you need to use the AC precision special attack.

(I think the actual wording is something like -2 to-hit but capped at the TArget's movemt modifier and thus my saying it negates all/part.)
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 19 February 2014, 12:25:49 »
Example.
An Atlas AS7-D is trying to destroy a really annoying Stinger STG-3R.
The Atlas uses a standard weapon attack.  It's Skill 4, +2 for medium range, +2 for the Stinger's 12" Move and +1 because the Stinger can jump = 9+.
The Atlas rolls an 8 and misses. (It would have done 5 damage if it had hit, but it didn't).
The next turn, the Atlas tries again with a standard weapon attack, but using the alternate AC precision munitions.  The AC precision ammo itself does not add a to-hit modifier, so it's still the same 9+.  The Atlas rolls a 7 and misses again.  (It would have done 5+1 if it had hit, but it didn't).
So, the Atlas is fed up with this Stinger, and decides for the next turn it will just use the AC precision special attack.  This gives a -2 to-hit modifier (the Stinger has 10"+ Move, so we get the bonus).   9-2 = 7+.  The Atlas rolls a 10 and does only the AC medium damage of 2.  The Atlas pilot is furious he wasted that roll of 10,but he did hit, and next turn he can use the special attack at 7+ to finish it off.

So the AC precision, when used as part of a standard attack, doesn't provide a to-hit modifier itself, but you still use all the other appropriate to-hit modifiers.
AC precision ammo, when used by itself as part of a special AC attack, does provide a to-hit modifier (assuming the target has at least a 10" Move), but can only deal the AC special ability damage.
« Last Edit: 19 February 2014, 12:27:57 by nckestrel »

Zen

• Private
Re: (Answered) AC Precision Ammo [Further] Clarification
« Reply #5 on: 19 February 2014, 19:39:14 »
Awesome Possum Sauce! Thanks for example! Now, it's much more clear :)