Author Topic: "large scale" Battletech  (Read 30804 times)

shakespear

• Private
    • Chance of Gaming
"large scale" Battletech
« on: 26 January 2011, 13:46:09 »
In the interview with Randall:
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=169.0

it seemed to me, "if there is enough interest, it will happen"

IWM making the figures, Catalyst would do rules.

How can we show interest?

I originally thought, 28mm would be awsome, but at that scale I dont see anyone making mechs.

What about 20mm or 15mm?

What do you guys think?
http://chanceofgaming.com/
My tabletop podcast

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Re: "large scale" Battletech
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2011, 14:08:06 »
I would.... really actually love that.  I just wish I could support it, seeing as I have almost zero free cash at the moment.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Jackmc

• Captain
    • How I pay the bills
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2011, 14:08:31 »
Armorcast makes mechs in 28mm scale.

-Jackmc

shakespear

• Private
    • Chance of Gaming
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2011, 14:12:16 »

-Jackmc

they lost the license in 2007.  :(

Here is what they did make:

http://www.timdp.members.sonic.net/battletech/

I take that back, 28mm, might work..
My tabletop podcast

GhostBear_TomeGurdel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
  • Apparently, it is all my fault!
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2011, 14:13:19 »

-Jackmc

They did at one point, but since Armorcast was sold some years ago, they haven't had the license to produce them. I know the Armorcast crew has been trying to see if they can get the ability to reproduce them again, it's just been a while since I've talked to any of the guys to see where it has gone.
Craig "GhostBear_TomeGurdel" Tome (formerly azhael)

Catalyst Demo Team Agent #335
Former WizKids Battlemaster
I aim to misbehave!

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 26 January 2011, 15:01:20 »
This is something I always wanted to do but by the time I
was ready to get started it was already gone.

The next time there's a re-release of the 1/72nd scale models of a certain
mech that we can't show anymore ,I'll be buying 4 of them.

They seem to go from around $20.00 a pop when they are released to
around $120.00 in around 3 years.     :o

They are due for a another re-release soon .

PeripheryPirate

• Warrant Officer
  • Your friendly neighborhood Periphery pirate!
« Reply #6 on: 26 January 2011, 15:04:34 »
You guys want to go BIGGER? I'd rather go much smaller, to be honest.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 26 January 2011, 15:05:48 »
Bigger scale means more ground to cover and smaller 'Mechs. ;)
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #8 on: 26 January 2011, 15:06:13 »
I'd go for a 1/72nd scale or 15mm (roughly 1/100th scale) version, mainly for infantry scenarios and RP action.

I've already got about 4 or 5 of the old plastic Robowhatchamacallits in 1/72nd scale, so they'd fit right in.  Never could seem to get my greedy paws on a Glaug officer pod (Marauder), though.  Come to think of it, I suspect that a lot of "non-players" would buy a 1/72nd plastic model kit of a decent looking Battlemech.

In that size range, there's no shortage of stuff "in scale".  Even HO (1/87th scale) model RR buildings would be in the general ballpark.  You're not paying an arm, leg, and left [insert name of other unmentionable body part] for each mini, either.

The infantry rules need a little work, however.  Battletroops (25mm, around 1/64th scale) was good in concept, a bit awkward in practice.  Never liked the variable starting spot on the damage track, either.  Weapons should have the capability of burning through 6 HP with a single lucky roll, but when it happens about 75% of the time for most weapons (one shot insta-kills), it's a little extreme.

[added] Going the other way, the main advantage I can see of making smaller 'Mechs would be to play Battleforce.  They'd be cheaper, but there'd also be a lot less detail.  With that size, the individual unit starts becoming "insignificant", and there's already a perception issue versus another game that keeps putting bigger and bigger "toys" on the table for more mass-market appeal.  I don't care for the size creep in the current game, though.  It's getting harder and harder to put things in adjacent hexes, and if you've got vehicles and footsloggers in the same hex, it's a nightmare.
« Last Edit: 26 January 2011, 15:13:38 by Kovax »

TheOldDragoon

• Sergeant
  • From Royal With Love
    • TexMechs - The Home of the Royal Dragoon Guards
« Reply #9 on: 26 January 2011, 15:28:22 »
  I love the idea of 1/72 Battletech.  Not the least of which becuase Catalyst/IWM etc. could simply contact the manufacturer of the original Dougram and Crusher Joe kits that *are* not longer unseen, and have them do a supplemental run.  They re-release the kits every few years or so- so the molds still exist.  It would be a quick and easy way to get some kits of beloved 'Mechs out there for the bigger scale game before devoting artists and sculptors to create more kits...
JEFFREY A. WEBB
Colonel
Regiment Commanding Officer
The Royal Dragoon Guards

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #10 on: 26 January 2011, 15:41:21 »
On problem with large scale Btech is a need for LARGE SCALE  tables.

Fun but space required.

Wombat

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 26 January 2011, 15:51:23 »
Thats one problem, the need for large-scale tables, but transporting your goods from location to location is going to be an absolutely nightmare too.

"Hmmm...do I put the kids in the carseats or my 'mechs? Clearly the 'mechs."
"Remember gweilo, you suck when you are nervous." - James Hong

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: 26 January 2011, 15:53:32 »
I still have pretty much a full compliment of the old 1:72 kits but never had the guts to build any but the Marauder and she needs a major overhaul (painted by a 13-year old with enamels and no airbrush).

Besides the old Armorcast mechs there are the old toys from the show which are pretty close for scale. Plenty of macross toys and 2 newly released sexy kits of a couple of unseen. The old Robotech Defender/Takara rerelease kits for the Dougram stuff. And the Joyride mechs which are just a hair too small but good anyway. There are also a few limited edition garage kits of 100% battletech mechs in true 1:60 that are sweet but too expensive for me right nw.

shakespear

• Private
    • Chance of Gaming
« Reply #13 on: 26 January 2011, 15:55:01 »
I would think it would be more infantry based, with a single mech per side. Though proto-mechs and power armor would be easy to do
My tabletop podcast

RacerX

• Sergeant
    • Royal Terra Guard - MWO Home
« Reply #14 on: 26 January 2011, 15:56:37 »
I haven't listened to the interview yet.  I hope to do so tonight. 

Personally I would rather see N-Scale or 15mm rules implimented.  25mm is just too big for me.  When I do play 15mm we play without hex maps and tie things together with house rules where they make sense.  With 15mm we found that a 4 x 8 table was needed to have modest game.  The ranges are what really drive up the space.  At 25mm you would need a whole back yard just to contend with the weapons ranges.
« Last Edit: 26 January 2011, 16:00:13 by RacerX »

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: 26 January 2011, 15:58:51 »
I would think it would be more infantry based, with a single mech per side. Though proto-mechs and power armor would be easy to do

Yep, we could use Revoltech figures for Protos.

We already have 25 and 28mm Elementals for Battlearmor and a ton of other things that could be used from 40K or Warmachine or anything like that.

I haven't listened to the interview yet.  I hope to do so tonight. 

Personally I would rather see N-Scale or 15mm rules implimented.  25mm is just too big for me.  When I do play 15mm we usually play without the hex maps and tie things together with house rules where they make sense.  With 15mm we found that a 4 x 8 table was needed to have modest game.  The ranges are what really drive up the space.  At 25mm you would need a whole back yard just to contend with the weapons ranges.

I was going to make a comment about MWDA and fan sculpts and projects but then I saw it was RacerX. Carry on good sir.

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 26 January 2011, 16:03:50 »
Sigma ,

If you remember can you tell me what scale the Wolverine is and what company it came from ?

It seems a little big but it's closer then the other ones that I've seen  .

Fin-man

• Private
« Reply #17 on: 26 January 2011, 16:30:51 »
Sigma,
I just wanted to say that the Mad Cat in your picture is VERY nice!  Love it!!! [notworthy]

Fin-man

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 26 January 2011, 16:34:23 »
Wow, I completely misinterpreted this whole topic.

When you guys said "Large Scale" I was thinking in terms of "distance" on the map, which would mean smaller 'Mechs and range.

Whoops. #P
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
« Reply #19 on: 26 January 2011, 17:40:34 »
I have a dozen 1/144 exo-squad mechs, and a dozen or more exo-squad mechs + revoltech models.  I also have another dozen 1/100 robotech models (2 of the factor kits, woohoo!), none assembled.

I bought them so I could play battletroops with them, but moved before we got around to it.  Now with ATOW out, it would be awesome to play an infantry platoon or two against a mech or two.

But for mech battles, ugh, that'd be a huge pain.  Heck, mechs moving over 4/6 end up crossing the whole battlefield in a turn.  It stinks that the armorcast mechs were such good designs, 1 atlas or mad cat is going to have an easy time taking out a few platoons of infantry, while a UrbanMech would struggle to take out 1.

I'd love to see the ATOW rules stripped of all RPG/fluff, with only combat rules, and called "BattleTroops 2", then see a lot of the battle armor, infantry, vehicles, and mechs built in 15mm or 28mm.  That'd be too awesome, and I think in a lot of ways the ATOW plays much more realistically than BT itself.

I'd sure buy into it.

AND, I would think it'd destroy the 40K tables, as 40K's silly rules couldn't compare to ATOW stripped down.

I'd strip the rules myself to make BT2, but I know that'd violate copyrights and the last thing I need is herb sending me a nuke.  I got stuff to do tomorrow.
Battletech Engineer
Disclaimer:  Anything I post here, or anywhere else, can freely be used by anybody, anywhere, for any purposes without any compenstation to or recognition of myself.

Cergorach

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: 26 January 2011, 18:10:44 »
Armorcast did the resin Mad Cat, Vulture and Atlas. They also did the metal 30mm Elemental (now available through IWM), there's also a smaller 25mm Elemental (available through RPE). There's also a Kurita 25mm platoon and a Steiner 25mm platoon (both available through IWM), there are some other 25mm BT miniatures, but they all seem to be out of print.

There were some fan efforts to make some of the other Mechs in 28-30mm available to other fans, that seems to have stopped as far as I can tell. Then Ravenstar Studios did some garage kits, they were asked to stop doing that. I seem to remember that someone was pursuing a BT license for 28-30mm models, can't remember who exactly...

For the unseen, Yamato makes some cool toys, have a couple of Riflemen and Warhammers. Have some kits I'll have to build made by Revell and Bandai for some of the other unseen...

For N-scale (usually 1:144-1:160), there's the MWDA mechs, a lot of unseen toys that fit that scale, and there's a decent underground that makes small resin runs of Mechs. Working further in this scale would probably be the easiest. The problem here is that scale and quality is inconsistent. Some of the MWDA minis are really tiny for their weight, some don't really look like their art in the TROs.

15mm sci-fi is currently extremely popular, some folks are actually using the museum scale Mechs for their 15mm forces/games. If someone would decide to release miniatures (correctly scaled and on a decent release schedule) for this scale, it's bound to be successful (especially infantry/battlearmor/tanks) if the other 15mm lines are any indication...

PeripheryPirate

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #21 on: 26 January 2011, 19:28:11 »

This is clearly violating the stacking rules. :D

SandMan

• Master Sergeant
  • For Davion!
« Reply #22 on: 26 January 2011, 23:53:57 »
If you're not too tied to canon, I'm working on some 'Mechs in 1/160, 1/285, 1/500 and 1/937th.

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
  • Dream of freedom from the 2d6 bell curve.
« Reply #23 on: 27 January 2011, 01:06:22 »
As much fun as a large scale sounds fun. In practice larger scale means shorter ranges. Even double maps are already kind of small. I am lucky enough to have a mostly weekly game that plays on a 50x50 hex geo-hex play area. Larger scales to me, feel more like a demo tool

Avatar by ShadowRaven  Sig banner by HikageMaru

KolonelK

• Private
« Reply #24 on: 27 January 2011, 01:19:52 »
I'd love to use the upcoming Battleforce mechs with scaled down maps to accommodate.  Then magnetise the mechs and play on a whiteboard at work :)

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #25 on: 27 January 2011, 01:53:57 »
I have 4 hectars of land so I'm interested in playing with these. How weather resistant are they?
Shoot first, laugh later.

shakespear

• Private
    • Chance of Gaming
« Reply #26 on: 27 January 2011, 09:41:02 »
I'd love to use the upcoming Battleforce mechs with scaled down maps to accommodate.  Then magnetise the mechs and play on a whiteboard at work :)

What are the battleforce mechs?
My tabletop podcast

SandMan

• Master Sergeant
  • For Davion!
« Reply #27 on: 27 January 2011, 09:51:02 »
Roughly 1/500 scale

shakespear

• Private
    • Chance of Gaming
« Reply #28 on: 27 January 2011, 09:55:31 »
I had no idea IWM was doing any, that why I was wondering where you cna get the rules for them
My tabletop podcast

SandMan

• Master Sergeant
  • For Davion!
« Reply #29 on: 27 January 2011, 10:21:37 »
The BattleForce rules are in Strategic Operations, if i'm not mistaken.  But I think the suggestion was to use the BattleForce minis with BT rules, simply for different scale.  I've made a couple of 1/937th scale minis and that's kind of fun because it's the same vertical scale as horizontal scale (normally BT uses different vertical and horizontal scales).  But the 1/937th minis are really too small to pretty up.  1/500 is a good compromise.

Wombat

• Captain
« Reply #30 on: 27 January 2011, 10:22:44 »
Look at it this way, go large scale enough, and you've got real 'mechs!   :D
"Remember gweilo, you suck when you are nervous." - James Hong

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage

Paint it Pink

• Warrant Officer
  • Pink Panther Battalion: The Gritty Kitty's
    • Paint it Pink
« Reply #31 on: 27 January 2011, 13:00:52 »
So how does the Museum scale figure in all this large scale mech business?
The unseen once seen cannot be unseen

http://panther6actual.blogspot.com/

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #32 on: 27 January 2011, 15:34:52 »
The BattleForce rules are in Strategic Operations, if i'm not mistaken.  But I think the suggestion was to use the BattleForce minis with BT rules, simply for different scale.  I've made a couple of 1/937th scale minis and that's kind of fun because it's the same vertical scale as horizontal scale (normally BT uses different vertical and horizontal scales).  But the 1/937th minis are really too small to pretty up.  1/500 is a good compromise.

I'm of the opinion that if you're going to do a travel-pack style of miniatures and games, then you're not going small enough.

Of course, this is coming from the guy who plays with really tiny, scratch-built stuff on stock BT maps. When I have a camera, I'll update my collection of micromechs in the minis forums. If you want large scale games on tiny maps with small minis, then nothing beats 2 or 3mm scale. :D

But, I've always wanted to do infantry scale combat. It'd be fun to work up the interior details of an office building, place that on the table as infantry make their way in and duke it out with security or other defenders.

25mm would be ideal for getting the visual appeal, but I've actually looked at using the old 8mm infantry, individually based. Not much of a real change from the current stock scale of minis. You can get a really large building that has a huge ground circumference, and multiple floors spread out over a single table that way. After all, at z-scale, 100 feet is approximately 5.5 inches.

If you do go bigger, I highly recommend that turn scale be condensed. 2.5 to 5 second turns gives you slower troopers and vehicles. You can even track stuff with a higher RoF a little better, showing their advantage over stuff that can fire every so often. Imagine being able to get 4 turns of fire on a BattleMech before it opens up and smears your platoon.

Of course, damage wouldn't be as high, the more you spread it out over time.

Going smaller and larger still appeal to me in many ways.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

SandMan

• Master Sergeant
  • For Davion!
« Reply #33 on: 27 January 2011, 16:35:57 »
I'm of the opinion that if you're going to do a travel-pack style of miniatures and games, then you're not going small enough.

Of course, this is coming from the guy who plays with really tiny, scratch-built stuff on stock BT maps. When I have a camera, I'll update my collection of micromechs in the minis forums. If you want large scale games on tiny maps with small minis, then nothing beats 2 or 3mm scale. :D

Not small enough?  1/937 IS 2mm scale.  http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=445.0

TheOldDragoon

• Sergeant
  • From Royal With Love
    • TexMechs - The Home of the Royal Dragoon Guards
« Reply #34 on: 27 January 2011, 16:43:52 »
  I saw a Battletroops game done in 28mm with a 1/48 Locust and a 1/55 Wasp and Stinger at an Aggie Con about fifteen years ago.  It was absolutely awesome to look at.  The Locust was a Crusher Joe kit and the Wasp and Stinger were Bandai or Takatoku Valkyries.
JEFFREY A. WEBB
Colonel
Regiment Commanding Officer
The Royal Dragoon Guards

PeripheryPirate

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #35 on: 27 January 2011, 17:03:06 »
I had no idea IWM was doing any, that why I was wondering where you cna get the rules for them

The BattleForce-sized 'Mechs are something I'm pretty darn excited about. Can't wait for them to be available!

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #36 on: 27 January 2011, 17:33:11 »
I saw a Battletroops game done in 28mm with a 1/48 Locust and a 1/55 Wasp and Stinger at an Aggie Con about fifteen years ago.  It was absolutely awesome to look at.  The Locust was a Crusher Joe kit and the Wasp and Stinger were Bandai or Takatoku Valkyries.
I like the sound of this.

Battles with 1/60th scale (28mm) BattleMechs are not practical at all.  Don't get me wrong, I love the Armorcast (and other) models and have them all, but they are prohibitively expensive and rare.  Now 28mm infantry and battle armor sounds VERY appealing.  Using a 'Mech or two as objectives or obstacles of some sort for a MechWarrior or BattleTroops scenario would work, but not a full lance or star of them.  Even then I'd like to see the 'Mechs being lights or low-end mediums in order to reduce the cost and give your infantry a fighting chance.

Fireangel

• Major
  • 7397 posts right down the toilet...
« Reply #37 on: 27 January 2011, 20:57:16 »
25mm was done for Battletroops and Ral Partha continued making 25mm figs for the RPG... including Elementals.

But the one I really want to see is 1:6 scale Battletech; 15' hexes as 30m hexes, 12" GI Joe (and Barbie... they make fully articulated ones now) as in-scale people and full-size people as in-scale 'mechs... I even have the board!

Edit: Oops... 25mm, not 28mm...
« Last Edit: 29 January 2011, 20:44:02 by Fireangel »

PeripheryPirate

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #38 on: 27 January 2011, 21:06:37 »
Eeek! Even the Tetatae are there!

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #39 on: 27 January 2011, 21:07:32 »
I have wanted to do a large scale game using a variety of 'Mechs I have sitting around.  It usually boils down to space.

I think the old Miniatures Rules book put 28mm (like Armorcast) at 4:1 to standard Battletech.

A Long Tom had a range of 300 something feet.  And that was the old artillery rules...
"The rules technically allow all sorts of bad ideas." -Moonsword

Cergorach

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #40 on: 28 January 2011, 09:57:50 »
28mm was done for Battletroops and Ral Partha continued making 28mm figs for the RPG... including Elementals.
Ral Partha didn't do 28mm Battletroops, those were definitely 25mm (says so on the box), they are a noticeably smaller then the current 28mm miniatures. GZG 25mm miniatures might be a good fit (still need to order a few to test).

More info over the Armorcast Battlemechs can be found here:

There's also a decent section about gaming with large scale mechs.

DaveMac

• Lieutenant
  • Running for home...
« Reply #41 on: 28 January 2011, 11:45:35 »
Interesting but not really practical I think

Got a fair number of the large scale Dougram/Robotech Defender and Armorcast kits but they are still unmade until I can find somewhere safe to display them when built.

Anyone get any of the 1/60 Yamato diecast Warhammer or Rifleman released last year?

Really liked the pictures of them but couldn't bring myself to spend £100 on each  :o
Go to red alert!
Are you sure sir?  It does mean changing the lightbulb.

Jackmc

• Captain
    • How I pay the bills
« Reply #42 on: 28 January 2011, 12:18:37 »
they are a noticeably smaller then the current 28mm miniatures.

They should be, besides the 3mm scale difference you have the fact that your average mainstream 28mm mini isn't in 28mm any more due to intentionally oversizing bodyparts like the head for dramatic effect.

-jackmc

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: 28 January 2011, 14:27:45 »
Anyone get any of the 1/60 Yamato diecast Warhammer or Rifleman released last year?
Yep.  Love the one I purchased, though it's a bit small to represent it's BattleTech counterpart, IMO.  In Macross the Tomahawk is a little shorter and lighter than the battroid Valkyries.  I think the 1/60 battroid Super Valks are perfect for 45-ton Phoenix Hawks, so that makes the 1/60 Tomahawk a bit on the small side for representing a 70-ton Warhammer.  The Defender (Rifleman) has the same problem.  If only someone would come out with a 1/48 line of plastic destroid kits.   ;D  On the other hand, they do look great next to the Joyride MadCats.  Perhaps they could be used as Ballpeen Hammers, if anyone remembers those.

Here's a shot of my Tomahawk next to a partially assembled Armorcast Atlas, merged with a scale shot of the Tomahawk and VF-1S.  Next is a shot of the Tomahawk enlarged to the size I feel matches a Warhammer.

RedMarauder

• Warrant Officer
  • It's time to 'Mech House!
« Reply #44 on: 28 January 2011, 14:44:57 »
On problem with large scale Btech is a need for LARGE SCALE  tables.

Fun but space required.

Good pics.  Where'd you get the mechs in that size?  Scratchbuilds?

As for larger scalle battletech?  I'd get a company.  However, and this is just me proabably, but with the (well, let's just be honest here) rather odd release schedule of miniatures, how would they be expected to keep up with production of the bigger models and the smaller stuff?
Save the Humans.

GBL

• Sergeant
« Reply #45 on: 28 January 2011, 15:45:23 »
Wow there is a lot of interest in this. I was joking to a friend that i should just find the money to commission some of the infantry from TRO 3085 in 28mm(we are actively looking for another 28mm game to replace our 40k addiction) but it seems like more of a possibility at this stage.

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: 28 January 2011, 16:59:31 »
Good pics.  Where'd you get the mechs in that size?  Scratchbuilds?
The Atlas, MadCat, and Vulture are OOP Armorcast resin products.  (The link was posted several times in this thread.) They were available in the late 90's through early 00's.  The Wolverine, Shadowhawk, and Griffin are OOP Dougram model kits (also at the links posted earlier).  All can be found now and again on ebay.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #47 on: 28 January 2011, 17:09:33 »
Cache is bang-on on the origin of the kits in that photo - the owner is our local Demo Team agent.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

RedMarauder

• Warrant Officer
  • It's time to 'Mech House!
« Reply #48 on: 28 January 2011, 17:59:50 »
I still got a Tomahawk, Raider-X, and Spartan from when they came out for ExoSquad, if they made Battletech in that scale, I'd be all over it.
Save the Humans.

Fireangel

• Major
  • 7397 posts right down the toilet...
« Reply #49 on: 29 January 2011, 20:46:45 »
Ral Partha didn't do 28mm Battletroops, those were definitely 25mm (says so on the box)...

You are absolutely correct. It was a brain hiccup on my part, but I'll call it a typo.  ;)

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #50 on: 29 January 2011, 22:17:22 »
Every time I see this thread, I'm dissapointed that its about big figures, not 50-100 units per side games. >_>
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

cokefiend

« Reply #51 on: 25 June 2011, 22:47:04 »
hey guys, Im new here but stumbled onto this thread. Large scale BT has a strong grip on me.
Id like to show you a few mechs that stand on my shelf.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cokefiend/5798781806/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cokefiend/5798234469/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cokefiend/5798786194/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cokefiend/5798237483/in/photostream/
They are all in 1/60 scale to go with my Armorcast mechs. Some are kits, others are scratchbuilds.
And Im always building more.

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #52 on: 26 June 2011, 01:11:08 »
they lost the license in 2007.  :(

Here is what they did make:

I take that back, 28mm, might work..
too expensive for my tastes :(

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

outriderhobbies

• Corporal
    • Outrider Hobbies Website
« Reply #53 on: 26 June 2011, 11:37:12 »
Just curious, has anyone thought about using the old MechWarrior figures?

I recently acquired a friends collection, and I already had my own substantial collection. We have been planning to remove the click base and cut some hex bases out of acrylic to mount them on.

I think this would end up being 15mm, and in addition, would allow for combined arms games due to the inclusion of vehicles and infantry.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #54 on: 26 June 2011, 11:45:43 »
too expensive for my tastes :(

I might be tempted to buy a couple of my favorites for display purposes

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

keisukekun

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • A Love Suicide
« Reply #55 on: 26 June 2011, 12:21:10 »
I rmemebr those armorcast when They came out and I wanted one soooo bad.  still cant afford one.  I think those are cool as a collectable but I dont think playing games at that scale is practical.  Only reason Warhammer 40k apoc can is cause its so popular plus there may only be one or two titans or otehr big stuff per team.  I agree that smaller minis would be fun to allow for ultra large scale combat.  instead of 10 or so mechs on a side you could do 10 or so lance/stars on a side. 

I think itd be cool if tehy made a seperate game that took the focus off mechs and did vehicle infantry and BA combat with VTOLs and such.  That could easily be done in 28mm scale and in big games you could throw a mech or two in there.  Course that does sound a lot like warhammer 40k....

keisukekun

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • A Love Suicide
« Reply #56 on: 28 June 2011, 22:38:03 »
Every time I see this thread, I'm dissapointed that its about big figures, not 50-100 units per side games. >_>

Well theres is teh new battleforce minis.  Not quite as small as they could be and getting 50-100 would be an investment not to mention trying to make some maps in teh right scale

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
« Reply #57 on: 29 June 2011, 01:38:43 »
Just curious, has anyone thought about using the old MechWarrior figures?

I recently acquired a friends collection, and I already had my own substantial collection. We have been planning to remove the click base and cut some hex bases out of acrylic to mount them on.

I think this would end up being 15mm, and in addition, would allow for combined arms games due to the inclusion of vehicles and infantry.

You can leave them on the bases if you want. Just mark what is front. You can also pick up custom cut hexes from G9 for very cheap IIRC.

They are closer to 8-12mm scale though. There are a number of us who love them and you can get the unseen in that scale too. The 1/144 Dougram Anniversary set is just being released in a week or two so it's a perfect time to grab some unseen. We generally call it N-scale since it's in the mid-range to lump all the surrounding stuff together. Lots of great folks that play with them. Come join us and you'll love it guaranteed.

Here's a recent example from me. I don't pretend to be near the same league as the best but I'm working on getting better with each mini.