Author Topic: "Illegalized" vehicles?  (Read 1501 times)

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
"Illegalized" vehicles?
« on: 15 October 2016, 22:07:24 »
Does anyone know what vehicles have been rendered illegal under newer rules releases?

A friend and I are having a discussion, wherein he stated he read that more than a few earlier vehicle designs were rendered "illegal" by later rules changes. I was unaware of this, and find it a little bit dubious, but I'm more than willing to try to clarify it here if possible.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Re: "Illegalized" vehicles?
« Reply #1 on: 15 October 2016, 22:50:52 »
The first one that jumps out that is the Mobile Long Tom but that is more of a "we really should have some ammo actually with the gun" thing than anything else.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #2 on: 15 October 2016, 23:17:51 »
They actually fixed the Long Tom, you can find the updated stats in the free download section.

Few designs from the old construction rules have been overhauled with the exception of the non canon Battletechnology machines like the Monster inspired Huntress.

Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 15 October 2016, 23:20:03 »
More then a few have had their stats redone...

But its heavily an aspect of how many early vehicles were built using fractional accounting back in the day IIRC.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #4 on: 15 October 2016, 23:23:22 »
A number of vehicles had to be revised to work with current construction rules, mostly due to standardizing how you round tonnages, but also because of other rules changes.

This means that stats from older products might not necessarily be entirely valid. This is pretty much limited to some of the vehicles in the original TRO 3025 and 3026 (including later version of TRO 3026, when the discrepancy was noted and specifically ignored), the spacecraft stats in the original dropships and jumpships sourcebook and the unrevised TRO 3057, and certain vehicles you might find in vintage sourcebooks or recordsheet books (first edition mechwarrior, the record sheet variants books).

It's worth noting, however, that almost every one of these "illegal" units has been revised in current publications and are currently legal. Even the ones that haven't been revised yet is more a case of the powers that be not getting around to them yet rather than any effort to pretend they don't exist.

So for the most part, if it appears in a catalyst published book, you can count on it being legal. The only exception I can think of at the moment is the mobile longtom, but you can download a corrected version of its record sheet on the downloads page of the battletech website.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 16 October 2016, 06:42:04 »
The 3058 Pegasus Scout looks a little off had to tweek it a little to make it legal .

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #6 on: 16 October 2016, 12:15:24 »
But its heavily an aspect of how many early vehicles were built using fractional accounting back in the day IIRC.
This.

Anything with equipment weighing fractions of a ton other than 1/2 ton increments was revised. Fractional accounting is now an advanced rule found in Tactical Operations (p. 375), so technically those old record sheets are not illegal, just "optional".

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #7 on: 16 October 2016, 13:44:39 »
I think the old Warrior suffers the most out of those designs.

You will also get some funny ones, like IIRC one of the early scout vehicles- cannot remember if it was the Skulker, Pack Rat or something else- had a ton or so for 'advanced sensors & coms gear' which was to give its fluff advantages.

The other one that comes to mind was the generic PPC armed hovertank, it had some problems from fractions IIRC.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Hover_Tank
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Fireangel

• Major
  • 7397 posts right down the toilet...
« Reply #8 on: 16 October 2016, 14:28:42 »
The original TRO: 3026 had a few:

* The Ferret VTOL had a quarter-ton drop sensor dispenser with 15 sensors.
* The Condor hovertank had an engine that was two tons underweight.
* The Drillson hovertank weighed in at 57.7 tons.
* High-Scout Drone Carrier had its "Drone Carrying Bay"

In the original TRO: 3025, the Pack Rat weighed in at 7.5 tons.

Register