Author Topic: CGL Gencon  (Read 17828 times)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: CGL Gencon
« Reply #90 on: 03 September 2017, 07:39:10 »
@faithless.  What was the game like? Was big 30 mechs/vehicles vs each other time of fight? Are they on Victoria for the final battle to push Liao off planet?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

GreyWolfActual

• CDT Global Events Developer
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #91 on: 03 September 2017, 10:59:17 »
Are they on Victoria for the final battle to push Liao off planet?
Victoria was not part of the Capellan Crusades. The Capellan Crusades were Rots vs. CC, the FedSuns had no part in them.
"My name is Saul Tigh. I'm an officer in the Colonial Fleet. Whatever else I am, whatever else it means, that's the man I want to be. And if I die today, that's the man I'll be."
-Saul Tigh

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #92 on: 03 September 2017, 11:04:29 »
There were several scenarios that took place during different parts of the Crusades.  I know at least two took place on Liao, but couldn't tell you for sure what the rest of them were.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Maniac Actual

• Lieutenant
    • checkout my fantasy and SF writing
« Reply #93 on: 03 September 2017, 12:27:06 »
IT was the Capellan Crusades. It started Thurs and went all the way until Saturday. 9 sessions, thru he whole con.   

I played 2 of them.

Don't really know who won.
Nobody "wins."  TPTB keep feeding in reinforcements - first on side, then the other, so that the game keeps going all four days.  Yeah, it's fun, but it is in no way a "cannon" event.
AS may be as much a representation of the Battletech universe as the original tabletop game is, but if you tell someone "I'm playing Battletech" chances are, if they know what that is, they're going to take you to mean the original tabletop game. - Steve Restless

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #94 on: 03 September 2017, 12:29:35 »
There were multiple distinct scenarios during each convention.  The Demo Team does not continually pour in reinforcements to keep playing the game for four days.  Different scenarios very much had winners and losers.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Revanche

• Warrant Officer
  • Fanah’s Fangs (formerly of the Talitha Division)
« Reply #95 on: 04 September 2017, 07:13:58 »
...but it is in no way a "cannon" event.

I think you've just created the definition of a "cannon" event: one where reinforcements keep being shot on to the field, in order to keep the battle going.

GreyWolfActual

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #96 on: 04 September 2017, 14:22:01 »
Nobody "wins."  TPTB keep feeding in reinforcements - first on side, then the other, so that the game keeps going all four days.  Yeah, it's fun, but it is in no way a "cannon" event.
A few points to clarify:

1: Even when the events were called the canon events and did, in some way, influence the storyline they did not last all four days. At first they were two day events and then were expanded to three days. They never were four days.

2: In that time frame reinforcements were, in fact, added in an almost perpetual wave like deployment. So canon events were very much reliant upon reinforcements. The current feature events do not utilize such reinforcement styles. They do use them, but nowhere near the extent that previous canon events used them.

3: With the shift to feature events from canon events there is most definitely a "winning" side. Daily objectives are in play and influence the score quite heavily. If your sole definition of winning is wiping every unit of the other side off the board then, yes, you are correct in that there isn't a winner.
"My name is Saul Tigh. I'm an officer in the Colonial Fleet. Whatever else I am, whatever else it means, that's the man I want to be. And if I die today, that's the man I'll be."
-Saul Tigh

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #97 on: 04 September 2017, 14:38:43 »
This year was, I believe, a battle from the Capellan Crusades. I think it was the Hastatis Sentinels vs. the Red Lancers on Liao. I KNOW this is what the event was for Alpha Strike, and I think it was the same general battle that was being run in Total War, but I'm not sure since I only played the AS version.

So then has CGL kind of given up on letting players try out important events that have yet to be written about?  I remember hearing about games such as Clan Wolf vs ROTS on Terra, a Nova Cat vs. CGB Naval battle (That was later written very differently in the fiction than it happened in the actual game).

It makes sense I guess, if the developers want the story to go a certain way but the players take it a completely different way, it only upsets people more when they see that their effect is ignored.

Proud Warrior of the Clan Protectorate.

Looking to play clix Mechwarrior in the Northeast Ohio area?  Come join our playing group!

Quote from: Worktroll
Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics.

GreyWolfActual

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #98 on: 04 September 2017, 20:49:42 »
So then has CGL kind of given up on letting players try out important events that have yet to be written about?
There hasn't been either a WorldWideEvent or convention "Feature Event" which affected future events in nine years since Operation Kabutomushi. It's not really a new policy.

Clan Wolf vs ROTS on Terra
That was only a couple years ago but had no actual bearing on the universe. It was also just a convention "Feature Event," not a WorldWideEvent.

Nova Cat vs. CGB Naval battle (That was later written very differently in the fiction than it happened in the actual game).
That was the first WorldWideEvent of the FanPro era, run back in February/March of 2002. The reason it was written about very differently than your game was that it was an average of all the global events that were run for it. Your game, the games I partook it, all of the FanPro Commandos who ran them submitted their results and what was written was what came out. But again, that was fifteen years ago and was so damaging to the arcs the writers had that nothing after it had anywhere close to as much significance.
-Saul Tigh

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #99 on: 04 September 2017, 20:52:23 »
Nova Cat vs Ghost Bear naval battle tallied the results for world wide participation to get a average of what happened.  But the story was going to go a certain way- warships would be lost- though they did IIRC ask for stories of anything crazy that happened.  Its why the Horses had a pair of hero Mars tanks in their invasion of the Wolf OZ, because someone playing the Wolf side (not Wolves) left a pair of assault tanks ALONE back during BMR rules . . . which shows why leaving Gauss Rifle, ERLL, LB-10X and LRM15 in a fragile shell alone is a BAD idea.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #100 on: 05 September 2017, 10:34:57 »
Nova Cat vs Ghost Bear naval battle tallied the results for world wide participation to get a average of what happened.  But the story was going to go a certain way- warships would be lost- though they did IIRC ask for stories of anything crazy that happened. 

The event has a problem, because the Shuttle disaster happened at same time it was scheduled.  The initial games i played was amazing.  However we found out how nasty the squadron of Clan Fighters (10 fighters v 6) were.  The players began not to deploy the dropship since they kept popping within turns due to the rules leaning heavily for Warships over dropships, but the Stars of fighter were popping the Warships just the same.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #101 on: 08 September 2017, 09:56:02 »
Adrain, odd question, but has any thought been put into making a larger format Combat Manual, say INNER SPHERE COMBAT MANUAL which would have most of the details as put forth in the individual manuals instead? I.E. A chapter on Capellan Confederation, Another on Free Worlds, etc? so, instead of 5 small books, one larger book with less fluff and more crunch?

Yeah, and once it's finishe, put the different house specific sections out in PDF only format for players to use a la carte.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #102 on: 08 September 2017, 10:11:45 »
A few points to clarify:

1: Even when the events were called the canon events and did, in some way, influence the storyline they did not last all four days. At first they were two day events and then were expanded to three days. They never were four days.

2: In that time frame reinforcements were, in fact, added in an almost perpetual wave like deployment. So canon events were very much reliant upon reinforcements. The current feature events do not utilize such reinforcement styles. They do use them, but nowhere near the extent that previous canon events used them.

3: With the shift to feature events from canon events there is most definitely a "winning" side. Daily objectives are in play and influence the score quite heavily. If your sole definition of winning is wiping every unit of the other side off the board then, yes, you are correct in that there isn't a winner.

I recall objectives in the few I played in. For instance, in a WoB versus Dragoons game, one of the Word's goals was decapitating the regiment by destroying the command star/lance.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #103 on: 08 September 2017, 15:38:57 »
I must note that I can't understand why people don't want to support the company that makes the Official BT minis.   ???

Honestly it's not about not wanting to support IWM. It's that I didn't know they made APCs. my bad.  :-[
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)