Poll

How do you want your second-line mechs: XL or standard engine?

XL-engine
standard-engine
Neko in a dress

Author Topic: How do you want your second-line mechs: XL or standard engine?  (Read 26919 times)

Guardsman

• Captain
  • Sang-wei Christopher Vose
Re: How do you want your second-line mechs: XL or standard engine?
« Reply #90 on: 17 February 2011, 15:21:14 »
When I play Clan, my main ride is the Stupid Hawk.

Stooping. I said Stooping.

Now why would you go and say a thing like that about your own 'Mech? Somebody did not like the 'Mech he was assigned.
Dan "Albatross" Schulz
(
1979 - 8 November 2009)
You won't be forgotten,
You will live on forever,
So long as the internet exists,
We shall remember you, Albatross.
1st Chesterton Guards
Regiment/Veteran/Fanatical
100% Strength | 100% Upgraded

IndyRI

• Lieutenant
  • Is it really still snowing?
« Reply #91 on: 17 February 2011, 16:09:09 »
What would you say was the best example of a pre-Jihad IS XLE?

Well the Berserker is a surprisingly well-done one. Whole bunch of armor; makes the most of the XLE to get extra speed both to get its hatchet in range and to avoid fire; MASC for added effect; AMS and ECm for increased survivability to get 8it in close; Flamer for anti-infatry and firestarting. I can't give it the medal though, since it still uses a Hatchet. Awesome though they may be, they're a waste of space.

So my personal favorite use of the XLE prior to the Jihad, and this is just going off of memory, would be the Falconer. It's a 5/8/5 large heavy with both a Gauss Rifle and ER PPC, and a salvo of MLs for in-close work. It moves fast, hits hard, and has enough survivability to take msot hits that are thrown at it. It probably comes closest to approximating a Clan mech of any of the early IS reactionary-designs.
HEIRS OF AMARIS - An AU Setting for Classic Battletech

Come and see. Comments welcome.
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=757.msg15033

Battlemech Designs Galore
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=840.0

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #92 on: 17 February 2011, 16:12:32 »
I lean toward the Dragon Fire but the Falconer is a good one.

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • I really am bad at letting go.
« Reply #93 on: 17 February 2011, 16:32:34 »
Now why would you go and say a thing like that about your own 'Mech? Somebody did not like the 'Mech he was assigned.
Yeah, the name. The 'Mech is awesome. The name? Not so much. Besides, it's a touch of the reverse psychology. "Oh, he called it stupid! Wait. OW! OW! OW! OH GOD WHY WON'T IT DIE?! OW!"

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #94 on: 19 February 2011, 03:44:33 »
What would you say was the best example of a pre-Jihad IS XLE?

The Sunder, the Raptor, the Venom, 3050 Book Charger

Best Jihad era use: Locust 6M.
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Crunch

• Lieutenant
« Reply #95 on: 19 February 2011, 04:25:15 »
Well the Berserker is a surprisingly well-done one. Whole bunch of armor; makes the most of the XLE to get extra speed both to get its hatchet in range and to avoid fire; MASC for added effect; AMS and ECm for increased survivability to get 8it in close; Flamer for anti-infatry and firestarting. I can't give it the medal though, since it still uses a Hatchet. Awesome though they may be, they're a waste of space.

So my personal favorite use of the XLE prior to the Jihad, and this is just going off of memory, would be the Falconer. It's a 5/8/5 large heavy with both a Gauss Rifle and ER PPC, and a salvo of MLs for in-close work. It moves fast, hits hard, and has enough survivability to take msot hits that are thrown at it. It probably comes closest to approximating a Clan mech of any of the early IS reactionary-designs.

I'll second both the Falconer and the Berserker.
It's really, it's a very, very beautiful poem to giant monsters. Giant monsters versus giant robots.
G. Del Toro

Stormfury

• Major
  • Death couldn't stop me. How will you?
« Reply #96 on: 19 February 2011, 11:22:14 »
WVR-7K, TR1, LNX, etc do it well. The medium weight class gets the most- light enough to be fast, heavy enough to carry the firepower. Heavies and Assaults are subject to diminishing returns, and Lights are already struggling for mass.
Mordin Solus: We need a plan to stop them.
John Shepard: We fight or we die. That's the plan.
Ashley Williams: Wow. That's the plan? Is it just me, or did Shepard have better plans before he died?
Urdnot Wrex: Silence! This is the best plan anyone, anywhere has ever had!
Garrus Vakarian: Yes! I AM SO THERE I AM THERE ALREADY!
Tali'Zora vas Normandy: *Facepalm*

Register