Author Topic: Where do you call "Home" and why?  (Read 13589 times)

Southern Coyote

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • Savage Doesn't Even Begin To Describe It
Where do you call "Home" and why?
« on: 13 February 2011, 21:46:51 »
So, just out of curiousity, I have the following question for everyone:

What Clan do you call home and why?  What drew you to them? Why do you stay? What do you love/hate about your clan?

And on a slight side note, if you could have chosen one of the fallen, which one would it be?

Thanks in advance!

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
Re: Where do you call "Home" and why?
« Reply #1 on: 13 February 2011, 22:44:20 »
My Clan of choice is the Snow Raven.
There are many reasons I like them;
-amongst a warrior people they rely just as much on politics/wits as they do battle.
-warships are awesome!
-never really a fan of the large clans (JF/W/GB, the munchtastic WiE)
-in a game that's really about battlemechs, in the Snow Ravens the mechwarrior is the outsider.
-R-teams and battlefield salvage while the battle is still going on.
-combined arms approach via triads
-they were the catalyst for the Diamond Shark name change.
-more recently, space mechs!

As to your side note, I'm assuming Wolverine, Widowmaker, Mongoose, Smoke Jaguar are the options.  The Widowmaker seems like it would have been interesting, had it survived.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Southern Coyote

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: 13 February 2011, 23:01:42 »
Ok, so I need to read up on the Ravens more.  I'm a loyal Yote, but the Ravens sound pretty cool. 

And yes, you assume correctly.  The fallen Clans I am talking about are Wolverine, Widowmaker, Mongoose, and Smoke Jaguar.  The Burrocks are recent enough to still have fans and most of their fans seemed to make the transition into their new clan well enough...

Railan Sradac

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 13 February 2011, 23:12:11 »
I like the Horses because:
a) Vehicles are cool.
b) Horse 'Mechs are cool. Stone Rhinos all the way.
c) My brother plays Ghost Bears. I get to challenge myself by smiting his oh-so-pretty not-max-armour Omnis with a) vees only.
d) Since a) Vees are cool and I don't use much else I get to break Zell a lot. Arrow IVs and indirect LRMs are fun, especially when it's 4 AIVs and 200 LRMs a turn from two Points.
e) Hell's Horses.... I mean, horses from hell? So many options there. References to nightmares, demonic horses, etc. Why not throw in Greek mythology too and call one of your units the Thracian Steeds? Just make sure you cannibalize salvage all the enemies afterwards.
f) You get to name a unit the "Thunderhorses" and talk in a totally brutal death metal voice. True story.
g) Did I mention that vehicles were cool?

More later.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #4 on: 13 February 2011, 23:24:45 »
I used to go Wolf years back, now I call the Blood Spirits home, Why? There scrappy, have a unit called the Blood Guard Keshik, and have a really awesome mech (the Blood Kite) to call there own. There the little guy that people like to knock down, but one that gets back up again and spits in the big guys eye. Plus they got the craziest little lady to call Khan since Natasha Kerensky.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 13 February 2011, 23:30:08 »
Clan-wise, its Wolf in Exile, Wolf and Ghost Bear.

When I can, I harken back to the united wolves.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Southern Coyote

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: 13 February 2011, 23:38:07 »
I would have gone GB but they don't use Protos and I like Protos.  But I like both the Wolves and the Bears.

But, as can be seen, I love the Coyotes.  They've got some serious attitude, and managed to somehow go from being one of the toughest Clans to be one of the weakest, but have managed to hold on enough to make a rebound.  And I like that they stick to zell.  Not to mention some solid mech designs.

However, if I could have gone with one of the Fallen, its an honest toss up between the Wolverines and the Smoke Jags...

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #7 on: 13 February 2011, 23:50:10 »
I was all about Clan Ghost Bear back in the day.  Their traditions, preferences, basically everything drew me in.

Well...  I grew up!   :D

There is a lot of mystery behind Clan Burrock.  They were the thorn in Clan Blood Spirit's spine, a worthy enemy of Clan Fire Mandrill, and have probably the most interesting founders imaginable.  Herve and Nigel Polczyk were part of the Rim Worlds Republic and even fought against Kerensky before the exodus.  The Clan started out as kind of a Lyran deal with big Mechs but they moved onto light and medium machines.  Basically, cheap units that get the job done.  I'm sure you would see any Burrock take a Nova C against a cocky Wolf warrior in a Timber Wolf A.  I also liked how they were described as being aggressive and borderline obsessive with their objectives (per operation Klondike).  What did it for me, however, was the ties with the Dark Caste.  It leaves a lot open to interpretation.  I thought it was a nice slap in the face to all the other weak Clans, where Clan Burrock basically found a way to make profit off of their waste.

What I hate?  The lack of info.

I could say more but I think I got my point across.

EDIT:  I think the Wolverines are as stupid as the whole Wolf's Dragoons scene.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 14 February 2011, 00:05:52 »
Clan Cloud Cobra

1. They take the long-term view of things, planning even generations out
2. While I'm not a religious person, their Cloisters are interesting. They allow for the opportunity to "build a religion or philosophy" to play by. Also the chance to be an ecKhan offers many political opportunities and a form of political office one step below the Clan Khans. One has to remember that the Cloisters are as much political entities as religious. It creates one more "association" potential for a warrior to be part of, in addition to a Bloodname House. That means an extra layer of social fabric that even extends to the lower castes, all the more roleplaying fun.
3. The presence of theological debate and cloister "colleges" offers more room for a warrior to brandish oratory skill and expand their education.
4. Mongoose legacies- I like Clan Mongoose and this Clan carries it's surviving genetic legacies in it's warriors
5. Their Reserve System- A built-in reserve of warriors attached to each unit allows for the quick replacement of fallen warriors. Pretty smart and forward-thinking considering true wars of attrition are rare in the Clan Homeworlds.
6. Flexible Zell- Airstrikes to soften up the enemy and the patience to allow it? Sounds good to me.
7. Proven naval skill- Warships are indeed cool, this Clan has won a few naval engagements and gets a lot of naval mention in Op. Klondike. The Kardaan line has demonstrated proven skill in this area from the bloodname's founder to present day warriors of the Clan.
8. The Tanite Worlds- Mysterious holdings that we know little about, very intriguing
9. Some cool paint schemes
10. Sylphs- Holy shiznit, flying Elementals!
11. The chance to call yourself a Steiner, a cool sounding name in itself, without the Lyran nobility attachment.

ShockaTime

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 14 February 2011, 00:08:27 »
My Clan of choice is the Snow Raven.
There are many reasons I like them;
-amongst a warrior people they rely just as much on politics/wits as they do battle.
-warships are awesome!
-never really a fan of the large clans (JF/W/GB, the munchtastic WiE)
-in a game that's really about battlemechs, in the Snow Ravens the mechwarrior is the outsider.

As to your side note, I'm assuming Wolverine, Widowmaker, Mongoose, Smoke Jaguar are the options.  The Widowmaker seems like it would have been interesting, had it survived.

you took the words out of my mouth Jaim O0

The Blood spirits are awesome because of their small size lending to their elite status even among some second line clusters, plus the fact that they make use of second line equipment (some would say inferior though i would disagree) and own with it. I'm also a huge protomech fan which is what first drew me to the spirits. Plus our khan as well as sakhan are badasses, as well as the lesser known Hunter Lewis is just as awesome in my books. Plus the fact that they don't stick to zell on York tickles me, any chance to shoot an adder in the back is gravy }:)

My favourite dead clan is Clan Mongoose, the only people known to be able to make the Du Shi Wang badass. along with their lawyering which I find cool as well as the predominance of medium units and their aggressive tactics all tickles me in the right way.

Spirit Never Dies - Second Spirit Chasseurs - Clan Blood Spirit
Raven Alliance

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 14 February 2011, 00:25:36 »
Oddly ehnough, the Raven in my title came long before my association with the clans. I was at first a Lyran, I will always be a loyal supporter of Empress Melissa the first. Ruler of the Sphere, but as I began to look at the clan, I fell in love with the Snow Ravens and Ghost Bears. The so called Arctic Alliance, but the Bears where too much the big guy for my taste, and the Ravens favoured a more subtle way of doing things. Yes a McKenna can be subtle. Their tenacity, their waste nothing attitude, their whole "scratch my back, and I'll scratch yours, scratch wrong, and I'll scratch yours with a dagger" schemeing plotting, and everything makes me grin. It's different then who I am in real life, but it appeals to my other side.
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

GreyJaeger

• Sergeant
  • Prepare for War.
« Reply #11 on: 14 February 2011, 01:14:27 »
I generally do not like the Clans. But the Steel Vipers just have such a paradox built into their psyche that it appeals to me for reasons I am not sure why. I guess it is because I like a challenge, and the Vipers are a challenge to do right. If not the best warriors in Clan space, a damn close second. Strong designs (for the most part) coupled with those damn fine soldiers makes for a prmier fighting force. Then combine the Mercer Doctrine with their Traditionalist mindset?

Yeah, I like the Vipers.

As for which Fallen, I do not have a preference.   
"The deep pain that is felt at the death of every friendly soul arises from the feeling that there is in every individual something which is inexpressible, peculiar to him alone, and is, therefore, absolutely and irretrievably lost."
~Arthur Schopenhauer

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
« Reply #12 on: 14 February 2011, 03:23:02 »
Well, Jaim Magnus and ShadowRaven has already explained better than I am able to why I like Ravens.

-warships are awesome!

And especially what ShadowRaven said, this was the main selling point:

the Ravens favoured a more subtle way of doing things. Yes a McKenna can be subtle. Their tenacity, their waste nothing attitude, their whole "scratch my back, and I'll scratch yours, scratch wrong, and I'll scratch yours with a dagger" schemeing plotting, and everything makes me grin.

As for dislike, the lack of information on unit status, and what really happened when we left the homeworlds is annoying. The lack of mechs that really said Snow Raven was also a problem before TRO/RS3085.

My second clan that I like nearly as much as the Ravens, is the Horses, where Railan Sradac explained it best:
I like the Horses because:
a) Vehicles are cool.
b) Horse 'Mechs are cool. Stone Rhinos all the way. 
e) Hell's Horses.... I mean, horses from hell? So many options there. References to nightmares, demonic horses, etc. Why not throw in Greek mythology too and call one of your units the Thracian Steeds? Just make sure you cannibalize salvage all the enemies afterwards.
f) You get to name a unit the "Thunderhorses" and talk in a totally brutal death metal voice. True story.

I have to add that the description of the Horses units in FM:CC was what really drew me to them. Alpha, Beta, Delta, Theta, and Iota are all great and flavorful galaxies. As for dislike, that would be the Dark Ages and the alliance with Malvina the Mad.

As for the Fallen: Jaguars and Hellions are the only ones that interest me. Hellions wins because Coyotes can take up the assault clan role, but no one, except maybe the exiles, can replace the Hellions role as the light mech clan.

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

Guardsman

• Captain
  • Sang-wei Christopher Vose
« Reply #13 on: 14 February 2011, 03:55:38 »
Clan Smoke Jaguar

Like a favourite dish, war loses its flavour when tasted too often.
-Franklin Osis

Remember Franklin Osis,
Father of his Clan.
Three strengths he gave us:
The jaguar's spring that brings the enemy down,
The jaguar's claws that rend the enemy's heart,
The jaguar's taste for the enemy's hot blood.

-From The Remembrance (Clan Smoke Jaguar), Passage 104, Verse 18, Lines 5-10

The Dire Wolf was still on Clan Wolf drawing boards when Smoke Jaguar warriors learned of the creation of the “Ultimate Assault OmniMech.” Knowing they had to have it for themselves, the Jaguars declared a Trial of Possession and wrestled the design from the Wolves’ jaws.
-Technical Readout: 3050, Upgrade

The thought of the Star League being reborn without our divine input and guiding hand is appalling. It eats at my very soul. We must not wait, we must seize the initiative while it is still within our grasp.
-Leo Showers, November 3048

Remember Leo Showers,
Great Khan of Khans.
He showed us the way to destiny,
And gave his life to achieve it.
Mourn for our ilKhan, o warriors!
Cry curses to the heavens!
They have silenced the voice of the Crusaders;
Let them be ash beneath our feet.
Make your hearts as proud as his,
Make your blood as fierce,
Make your blows as deadly to our enemies.

-The Remembrance (Clan Smoke Jaguar), Passage 215, Verse 31, Lines 22-32

Two words: Edo Bay

One word: Fidelis
Dan "Albatross" Schulz
(
1979 - 8 November 2009)
You won't be forgotten,
You will live on forever,
So long as the internet exists,
We shall remember you, Albatross.
1st Chesterton Guards
Regiment/Veteran/Fanatical
100% Strength | 100% Upgraded

Skyth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 14 February 2011, 08:20:31 »
I chose the Steel Vipers for two reasons.  The first being Bloodright.  The second being that they epitomize the quality over quantity mantra.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #15 on: 14 February 2011, 08:35:05 »
Clan Nova Cat

Have been a fan since the novel Path of Glory.  I like the following of visions, believing in a destiny and the ability to change your fate.

Home is now the Irece Prefecture, which I dislike can't stand being saddled with the Combine.  Similarly I don't like throwing lot in with Stone so myself I'd like to see the Nova Cats strike out again on their own.

Things I like:
WarShips, we have tons and know how to use.
Older Warriors valued, founder lived as serving Khan till 112
Nice units in modern TROs, even if they are secondline
the Nova Cat OmniMech, enough said
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Stockus13

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 14 February 2011, 09:54:45 »
My home is Clan Wolf.They have been one of the strongest clans without being the largest of them. Even the refusal war did not kill the Wolves (except for treachery we won anyway)

Wolves adapt, treat the lower casts and freeborn decently, and even after losing half our OZ we are still alive and kicking.

The Horses got the upper hand for a bit, but in the Dark Age the Wolves come back with a fury.

The WiE seem nerfed in the DA, and too close with the LC or LA.

My favorie fallen: the Smoke Jaguars

I am not a big fan of what Trent did. Without him Bulldog would have been much less one sided. The Jags would have still had to retreat to Huntress, but with more of the Clan still intact.

Oh well

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #17 on: 14 February 2011, 10:36:07 »
The Nova Cats just clicked with me from my first read through of Invading Clans way back when.

- Their mysticism was the big draw along. That connects with me more than any other factor.
- Treatment of the lower castes. The fact that the homeworld garrison forces were willing to sacrifice themselves just to allow more of their lower caste member to survive in the face of annihilation by other during the abjurement speaks volumes. To me it's the best reflection of how Nicolas intended the warriors of the Clans to treat the other castes.
- They're practically the only Clan that has respect for a good warrior regardless of age.
- Leading up to, and during, the invasion they were considered second best in a number of categories; warship fleet, economics, marksmanship, etc. This made the Cats a powerful Clan despite their size. Now that those days are gone, they've shown the adaptability to take a bad situation and survive. Arguably even thrive.
- TRO:3058 was my favorite for years for the Shadow Cat, Supernova, and especially the Huntsman. ER:3052 calling the Huntsman the quintessential Nova Cat medium omni was just icing on the cake.

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #18 on: 14 February 2011, 13:37:03 »
the Bears are my home because (in no particular order):

1. their tactics are the same way i tend to play my CBT games
2. i like their "sleeping giant" image
3. despite being one of the largest and most successful Clans, they are/were portrayed as the underdog, never quite as good as the other Invaders, but shining when it mattered the most
4. they were Crusader
5. to a lesser extent, their family values--so different from the other Clans

6. post-Jihad - they showed they can play with the big boys in real war (not Clan-style war) when they went up against the WoB and consistently wiped the ground with the WoBblies

some of the above has changed, but i've felt loyal to them regardless
"I'll give the Bears this... they do not care about "being clan" one bit, and they own it." - cold1

"Question: Under zellbrigen, how does one engage Shadow Divisions?
Answer: With orbital bombardment."

73rd Battle Cluster - The Lash

IndyRI

• Lieutenant
  • Is it really still snowing?
« Reply #19 on: 14 February 2011, 14:14:06 »
I'll also go with Ghost Bear, though I bounce around quite a bit. Reasons:

-Family Oriented: I like the idea that in spite of the nature of the clans birthing and raising process, for the Ghost Bears, family and friends are still important above all. More than a simple loyalty to one's clan, the Bears are steadfast in their defense and care for those closest to them.

-Traditionalists: Politics aside, the Bears are slow to change, and fierce when disturbed. They do things the way they always have, because they work. No change for change's sake.

-Mech Choice: My favorite mech is the Grizzly, and the Kodiak, Karhu, and Fire Moth are all on there as well. An excellent mech selection was in fact one of the first draws for me.

-But not the first, which was Ghost Bear's Legacy. MW2 got me into Mechs, and GBL got me into Battletech itself.

-I'm loving the integration and adaptation of the Bears into the Inner Sphere. I was a fan of Rasalhague before the invasion, and I like it even more. The two cultures gel so well, each complementing the other, that it is honestly amazing it took so long to finally go through with.
HEIRS OF AMARIS - An AU Setting for Classic Battletech

Come and see. Comments welcome.
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=757.msg15033

Battlemech Designs Galore
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=840.0

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #20 on: 14 February 2011, 14:52:13 »
I got into Battletech through MW2. Clan Wolf was my faction, I like wolves, and the Wolf campaign was easier, which told me that the Falcons were inferior warriors. ( I never got past mission 3 in the Falcon campaign)

Then in MW2: GBL the Ghost Bears went on a rampage of revenge, and in the end beat up the wolves, so obviously the Bears must be superior. (what? I was like 9, there is no logic at that age)

After that, the more I read about the Bears the more I liked them. The sleeping/angry bear dynamic (Especially the "do not piss them off" part, there is no greater fun than jumping the border en mass because of a glorified raid on your capital), the crusader leanings, being the only Clan other than the Wolves to actually win on Tukayyid. The Mad Dog (or Executioner) is my favorite mech as well. The ToP for Sheliak  ;D Also being fluffed as a Clan that want for naught materially.
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #21 on: 14 February 2011, 15:22:30 »
Nova Cats.

Initially, I only joined them because a MUSE (Remember those old timers?) I was on needed volunteers. I stayed with them because they had traits I really resonated with.

Their military forces prize maneuver, marksmanship, and adaptability.
They give the merchant caste a lot of lee way, without being overtaken by it, like with the Sharks.
A lighter age stigma compared to other Clans.
I'm more on the pragmatic side when it comes to Nova Cat Mysticism, but it certain is a unique world view in the universe.

Southern Coyote

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #22 on: 14 February 2011, 15:33:06 »
Wow, lots of Bears here.  Like I said, the Bears were a close second for me.  I am just turned off by the fact that they don't employ protos.  And honestly, I just can't get behind the Wolves.  I don't know why, but I find them lacking...

Guardsman

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 14 February 2011, 15:56:41 »
Wow, lots of Bears here.  Like I said, the Bears were a close second for me.  I am just turned off by the fact that they don't employ protos.  And honestly, I just can't get behind the Wolves.  I don't know why, but I find them lacking...

Ghost bears go well with some fava beans and a nice chianti.
Dan "Albatross" Schulz
(
1979 - 8 November 2009)
You won't be forgotten,
1st Chesterton Guards

Bergie

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #24 on: 14 February 2011, 16:31:24 »
Clan Diamond Shark:  This is because I view them as an evolution of Kerensky's dream, instead of a literal interpretation of it (let's face it, Nicholas Kerensky wasn't exactly the most stable person out there).  They took the building blocks of the Clan, and made it work for them.  They are remarkably stable, socially progressive, technologically cutting edge, and have been able to stand toe-to-toe with the most powerful of the other Clans. 

I'm not AS fond of them post-Jihad, but the Foxes/Sharks/Foxes are nothing if not adaptable, and it is their culture that makes them that way.  If it weren't for that, they would have broken.
Returns from the Dead to be a Taurian and Shark/Fox Fanboy

Stockus13

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: 14 February 2011, 16:34:36 »
Well I have to say this I know people hate the wolves.

But from the moment I played MW2 I fell in love with them and have not looked back.

IndyRI

• Lieutenant
  • Is it really still snowing?
« Reply #26 on: 14 February 2011, 16:38:47 »
Ghost bears think other clanners go well with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

Fixed it for ya, buddy  ;)

And Southern Coyote, like I said, I bounce around quite a bit. I also play Snow Raven and Coyote quite a bit, and Fire Mandrill and Blood Spirit off and on.
HEIRS OF AMARIS - An AU Setting for Classic Battletech

Come and see. Comments welcome.
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=757.msg15033

Battlemech Designs Galore
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=840.0

Guardsman

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 14 February 2011, 18:03:17 »
Fixed it for ya, buddy  ;)

Who said anything about Clanners? I'm talking about the animal. Mmm, mmm, good.
Dan "Albatross" Schulz
(
1979 - 8 November 2009)
You won't be forgotten,
1st Chesterton Guards

maddyfish

• Corporal
« Reply #28 on: 14 February 2011, 18:10:30 »
Hells Horses for me.

I like using infantry, and am learning to appreciate vehicles. Plus HELLSTAR goodness.
Have Wasp, will travel

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 14 February 2011, 18:25:29 »
horses for me primarily. They have been describes as passionate and brave, and they have have been able to succeed where others thought they would fail. they are a clan of diversity in every sense of the word. Their leaders come from every branch of the touman (almost), politically dynamic, and they really are the one clan that you get to use all of the clan toys available in a regular game, assuming you like to make fluffy units. They have some really cool characters like mad malavai, james cobb, temuchin amirault, among other minor characters.

Their galaxies are just as diverse, from being premier units that uphold crusader honor, to bottom of the barrel rebels. their clusters can be just as interesting, as there are a good mixture of elemental, mech and aero heavy clusters.

within the clan cooperation is not just mandatory, its something that is deeply ingrained in their culture, and can be seen since their founding, and be seen through some of their unique rituals like the branding ritual, where it's required to complete the task. I personally like the idea of a place where everyone has their place, and are respected for it.

By the time of the DA they have developed an interesting way of life since the advent of the firehorse galaxy, as well as the various castes playing sports together.

I've always like the quote that i use in my sig, and i think it helps describe parts of the horses well:

"Warriors, not war machines, are the backbone of the Hell's Horses. While others worship the BattleMech as the ultimate weapon, the men and women of this Clan see even this awesome piece of technology as the tool it is. We have held to this philosophy since the days of our first Khan, who knew that the value of the common soldier far outstripped the brute force of the BattleMech. It is one reason our Clan possesses fewer mechs than most, and has led many to underestimate our fierceness and courage. Our survival against all challengers when others have fallen proves the folly of such arrogance, and testifies to the wisdom of our founders."
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel

Recently however, shocka has been showing me the virtue of clan snow raven, particularly since i've been into the raven alliance since learning about them, and i like the clan periphery hybrid. The other raven fans have pretty much covered why i have come to love the ravens though.
« Last Edit: 14 February 2011, 18:28:15 by Daishi411 »
"Warriors, not war machines, are the backbone of the Hell's Horses. While others worship the BattleMech as the ultimate weapon, the men and women of this Clan see even this awesome piece of technology as the tool it is. We have held to this philosophy since the days of our first Khan, who knew that the value of the common soldier far outstripped the brute force of the BattleMech. It is one reason our Clan possesses fewer mechs than most, and has led many to underestimate our fierceness and courage. Our survival against all challengers when others have fallen proves the folly of such arrogance, and testifies to the wisdom of our founders."
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel
Star Captain Logan Cobb-666th Assault War Cluster, Star Commander Octavian-The Thunder Heart Cluster

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #30 on: 14 February 2011, 23:33:55 »
It was a hard pick for me between the Coyotes and Ravens, but ultimately the 'Yotes won out.  I guess I can have the Ravens as my 'IS Clan'.  I like the Coyote hardware choices and general outlook on things, and over time I've come to associate pretty closely with them.  Too bad it puts me against the Cobras though, I like their religious aspect.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Guardsman

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 14 February 2011, 23:42:34 »
One thing I find annoying is that you can name almost any Clan, and I can find some very interesitng aspects that appeal to me. I could practically get very interested in almost every faction. While that's great for a product, it's annoying and a bit infuriating. Too many choices! Too many of them are great!
Dan "Albatross" Schulz
(
1979 - 8 November 2009)
You won't be forgotten,
1st Chesterton Guards

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 14 February 2011, 23:46:49 »
Yeah, same here.  I got nothing for the Falcon, Vipers, and Crusader Wolves, but other than that I can find something everywhere.

I forgot about the Fallen.  Definetly not the Wolverines or Widowmakers.  I don't know enough about either the Mongoose (who seem to be sort of a Shark/Raven hybrid) and the Burrocks (who I just plain know next to nothing about) to choose between them.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Guardsman

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: 15 February 2011, 00:15:22 »
Yeah, same here.  I got nothing for the Falcon, Vipers, and Crusader Wolves, but other than that I can find something everywhere.

I forgot about the Fallen.  Definetly not the Wolverines or Widowmakers.  I don't know enough about either the Mongoose (who seem to be sort of a Shark/Raven hybrid) and the Burrocks (who I just plain know next to nothing about) to choose between them.

I seem to have a fondness for that which The Powers That Be choose to discard. If I had to list my favourite Clans in order, it might be something like Smoke Jaguar, Burrock, Mongoose, Star Adder, Wolverine, Snow Raven . . .
Dan "Albatross" Schulz
(
1979 - 8 November 2009)
You won't be forgotten,
1st Chesterton Guards

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 15 February 2011, 00:18:45 »
i just remembered i never mentioned what fallen clan i would choose, and i found this tough. If this had been asked before the klondike and golden century books i would have said widowmaker, but now i would have to say mongoose, since i have a klondike era star for them
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel
Star Captain Logan Cobb-666th Assault War Cluster, Star Commander Octavian-The Thunder Heart Cluster

Guardsman

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: 15 February 2011, 00:26:36 »
i just remembered i never mentioned what fallen clan i would choose, and i found this tough. If this had been asked before the klondike and golden century books i would have said widowmaker, but now i would have to say mongoose, since i have a klondike era star for them

Cloud Cobra vs. Mongoose (Link)
Dan "Albatross" Schulz
(
1979 - 8 November 2009)
You won't be forgotten,
1st Chesterton Guards

ShockaTime

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: 15 February 2011, 00:45:14 »

that was pretty cool.

Spirit Never Dies - Second Spirit Chasseurs - Clan Blood Spirit
Raven Alliance

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: 15 February 2011, 00:46:09 »

that was impressive, feel bad for the cobra though
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel

Guardsman

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: 15 February 2011, 00:57:43 »
that was pretty cool.

Clan Smoke Jaguar vs. Clan . . . which one is the biggest snake? (Link)
Dan "Albatross" Schulz
(
1979 - 8 November 2009)
You won't be forgotten,
1st Chesterton Guards

Guardsman

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: 15 February 2011, 00:59:20 »
that was impressive, feel bad for the cobra though

Clan Mongoose was absorbed by Clan Smoke Jaguar. Clan SMoke Jaguar ignored their genetic legacies. Clan Cloud Cobra fought for, and won some of those legacies. Now Clan Mongoose DNA is part of Clan Cloud Cobra. But yes, that must come as little comfort for that particular Cobra.  ;)
Dan "Albatross" Schulz
(
1979 - 8 November 2009)
You won't be forgotten,
1st Chesterton Guards

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: 15 February 2011, 01:04:50 »
Clan Mongoose was absorbed by Clan Smoke Jaguar. Clan SMoke Jaguar ignored their genetic legacies. Clan Cloud Cobra fought for, and won some of those legacies. Now Clan Mongoose DNA is part of Clan Cloud Cobra. But yes, that must come as little comfort for that particular Cobra.  ;)

hah! to true. though i understand why the jags ,ay have not wanted mongoose lineages, it really was a huge waste based on how hard they fought, they would have been a big asset IMO, good on the cobras for getting some
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel

Guardsman

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: 15 February 2011, 01:16:19 »
hah! to true. though i understand why the jags ,ay have not wanted mongoose lineages, it really was a huge waste based on how hard they fought, they would have been a big asset IMO, good on the cobras for getting some

Clan Smoke Jaguar does not make mistakes! You want to know the year, its 3058, why do you ask?
Dan "Albatross" Schulz
(
1979 - 8 November 2009)
You won't be forgotten,
1st Chesterton Guards

Mystic

• Sergeant
  • AKA that RJ Thomas dude
« Reply #42 on: 15 February 2011, 05:47:15 »
hmmm why Raven? Ok, first I'm more of an aero fan more than a mech fan (just have to fly!). The Ravens have one heck of a aero-tradition. And yes, WARSHIPS. I love space battles more than just about anything. So that got me wondering when I first got my hands on Warden Clans. After checking them out, I was kind of iffy about the political thing, until I read more and more of the history. And the way they got a virtual warship monopoly was genius. But I wasn't a hard core raven really until I read a little book called Age of Destruction and saw The Raven ALLIANCE???? Now, I liked the periphery more than the houses, and at the time I was more of an MoC fan, mainly because of setting, but I always kept an eye on the Alliance. Then, when I knew the two would meet, it was like (to quote Hudson0 GAME OVER MAN! Best pilots, meet the best black navy and let the good times roll!
"Close air support covers a multitude of sins" - Schlock Mercenary

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #43 on: 15 February 2011, 06:34:29 »
I’m a Jade Falcon fan and I don’t try to hide it. Instead, I love it.

There’s a number of reasons, but the biggest one for me is the whole attitude. Let’s face it, every Clan thinks that they’re the best for some reason; the Cats for their Visions, the Helions for shouting “LEEROY JENKINS” at every opportunity and so forth. The Falcons, on the other hand, believe that they are the best clan for simply being the Jade Falcons, and revel in it. The Falcon character, that unbelievable arrogance and hubris, is incredibly enjoyable for me. I love playing it up, acting on that incredible, self-assured superiority that they possess. The clan as an almost over-the-top attitude that is reflected in so many aspects of their culture, even down to their uniform, and I love it.

There’s numerous other reasons as well; the Falcons have some of my favourite mechs, the Fire Falcon, Summoner, Flamberge, Night Gyr, Turkina and Jupiter to name a few. I love the estoric and distinctive design ethic of the Dark Age Falcon mechs as well, with their angular plates, recessed/raised design areas and those funky wings. I love the way they seem to earnestly embody the Crusader cause, while at the same time they hide their rather devious flexibility behind a mask of conservatism.

And Elizabeth Hazen is the most crazyawesome of all of the clan founders. The others cried themselves to sleep each night knowing that they weren’t her.

As for my favourite fallen clan? I pick Clan Wolverine. Why? Because they became the core of the Word of Blake and initiated the most crazy, crack-headed fictional conspiracy ever.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Guardsman

• Captain
« Reply #44 on: 15 February 2011, 14:02:58 »
And Elizabeth Hazen is the most crazyawesome of all of the clan founders. The others cried themselves to sleep each night knowing that they weren’t her.

I feel certain that had Khan Franklin Osis wanted the old bat, he would have had her.
Dan "Albatross" Schulz
(
1979 - 8 November 2009)
You won't be forgotten,
1st Chesterton Guards

target_destroyed

• Corporal
  • BOOM - Headshot!
« Reply #45 on: 15 February 2011, 17:29:12 »
This. All it took was a little MW2 and reading the history of Elizabeth Hazen and Turkina in the Jade Falcon Sourcebook for me to be hooked.
Star Captain Aaron Hazen - Trinary Bravo
9th Talon Cluster, Jade Falcon (Gamma) Galaxy

We are Crusaders and will trample all who stand in our way!

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: 15 February 2011, 17:30:16 »
My 'home'?  A Horse is a horse, of course of course.  If the Jags were still around, I'd play as them.  They're still my Invasion era Clan.

Vlads Fangs

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Wolf Empire Forever! Next stop- Terra!
« Reply #47 on: 15 February 2011, 22:01:00 »
As you can tell I choose the Wolves when they were new.As they have grown I find myself more Wolf than ever.From Victory to defeat,from friendships to traitors.My Clan has been whole,broken,destroyed and reborn.My Clan has been emulated and  copied by upstarts.I have seen many claim to be Wolf and fall by the wayside,fairweather Wolves I guess.I have been here,through thick and thin,Wolf from the beginning,Loyal and dependable and constant as the northern star.
                    I love the Story of the Wolves,constant and ever changing.I am greatful to be a flagwaver for the Wolves.With the Dark Age approaching our Wolf Empire now has room to grow.And a possiable re-unification with the WIE making us whole once again,so the story goes

WarMonkey

• Master Sergeant
  • Beware the might of the Falcon, freebirths!
« Reply #48 on: 16 February 2011, 02:09:50 »
I am Jade Falcon and will always be. I have liked them since first seeing the emblem, but what really got me hooked was the Legend of the Jade Pheonix Trilogy starring Aidan Pryde. I haven't looked back since. I like other clans too, but the Jade Falcons are my number 1. [notworthy] They just appeal to me on many different levels.

As for the fallen....I would have to say the Smoke Jaguars. I can't exactly pin down why I like them so much. All I know is that I got a kick out of reading stuff on them in the Twilight of the Clans series. They just seemed like the perfect antagonist for new Star League. Ruthless. Highly skilled. Technologically advanced. They went down swinging.  [rockon]

Winning......it beats losing!

Aidan Pryde is my hero!

Register