Author Topic: Clan Warships - Who mans them?  (Read 18173 times)

Hawkeye Jim

• Captain
  • I'm small but sneaky
Re: Clan Warships - Who mans them?
« Reply #60 on: 23 February 2011, 17:17:58 »
As far as letting technicians handle weapons, how many techs are failed warriors sent down? Wouldn't they be capable of handling warship guns?

Stormfury

• Major
  • Death couldn't stop me. How will you?
« Reply #61 on: 23 February 2011, 17:28:08 »
Everyone is capable of it. Would they be allowed to, though?

The Clans (again, aside from the Blood Spirits) are quite rigid about caste duties. Warriors fight. Technicians do not fight. Merchants do not fight.

Even the members of the Clan equivalent to the Police are Warriors.
Mordin Solus: We need a plan to stop them.
John Shepard: We fight or we die. That's the plan.
Ashley Williams: Wow. That's the plan? Is it just me, or did Shepard have better plans before he died?
Urdnot Wrex: Silence! This is the best plan anyone, anywhere has ever had!
Garrus Vakarian: Yes! I AM SO THERE I AM THERE ALREADY!
Tali'Zora vas Normandy: *Facepalm*

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #62 on: 23 February 2011, 17:30:00 »
As far as letting technicians handle weapons, how many techs are failed warriors sent down? Wouldn't they be capable of handling warship guns?
Capable yes.  But the warriors have cultural issues with letting civilians do the shooting.  Hell, during Klondike the 40 from each Clan had issues letting their auxiliaries do anything but occupy territory.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Hawkeye Jim

• Captain
  • I'm small but sneaky
« Reply #63 on: 23 February 2011, 17:41:34 »
But are technicians civilians? If they are attached to a military unit as part of that unit, they're military, not civilian.

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #64 on: 23 February 2011, 17:47:47 »
We know the Clans attach lower castes to warriors. For example on Tukayyid, lower caste combat engineers or the equivilant of were used (I think by the Jade Falcons). I have always wondered if those personnel carried small arms and could defend themselves.

Also the Snow Ravens use R-Teams to collect salvage, consisting of a mix of mechs/elementals and techs. The technicians are armed and can defend themselves. They are put directly in harm's way.

Ultimately though on the question of warship guns, we just don't know. I've heard the theories that gun crews are led by warriors, or consist of warriors, on these forums for at least a couple years. However I don't know if that is based on anything but player/community opinion. There is no canon literature evidence that I am aware of. So I have always taken that information with a degree of natural skepticism.

The Clans didn't seem to have any trouble with auxillaries or lower castemen firing the guns during Operation Klondike. The only "Clan Warriors" present commanded the warships from the bridge.
« Last Edit: 23 February 2011, 17:49:48 by Alan Grant »

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #65 on: 23 February 2011, 17:48:08 »
With respect to Bosch, he'd not one of the TPTB which are developers ie Herb and Randall and possibly Welsh, though again no disrepect to Joel, but even that's questionable.

This is correct. I may be doing some writing, editing, and handling the errata, but I am not a developer. Even if I was, this is General Discussion and my comments shouldn't be taken as carved-in-stone canon (though it'd be nice once in a while ;D ). Ultimately, if you want the final answer on this question, I suggest asking in Masters of the Universe.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Fatebringer

• Major
  • 138th Mechanized Infantry The Chicago Division
« Reply #66 on: 23 February 2011, 18:22:56 »
There's an App Thread for that.  :D

Star Captain Jared Siegel ~ Clan Snow Raven Forum
"If every mech was built like in MWO, we'd all be carrying ammo in our feet..."

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #67 on: 23 February 2011, 19:04:26 »
Hello,

With respect to Bosch, he'd not one of the TPTB which are developers ie Herb and Randall and possibly Welsh, though again no disrepect to Joel, but even that's questionable.

For clarification, the line developers for the BattleTech Game Line are as follows:
   Herbert A. Beas II - Line Developer
   Ben H. Rome - Assistant Line Developer

Joel Bancroft-Connors (AKA Welshman) was a Product Developer for TRO: 3085 and its PDF-exclusive Supplemental. A Product Developer is, as the title suggests, responsible only for a selected product.

Randall N. Bills is the Managing Developer for Catalyst Game Labs, and while that qualifies him for a higher rank over Line Developers, BattleTech is not his sole development focus.

Hopefully this helps clarify matters. You may now continue your discussion.

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas
  BattleTech
  Catalyst Game Labs

Jackmc

• Captain
    • How I pay the bills
« Reply #68 on: 23 February 2011, 21:41:20 »
Ah, I totally forgot about Ben.  Thanks for the clarification Herb.

-Jackmc

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #69 on: 24 February 2011, 10:51:16 »
Of course, the Blood Spirits regularly give all their sub castes weapons and they all have some rudimentary combat training.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Stormfury

• Major
  • Death couldn't stop me. How will you?
« Reply #70 on: 24 February 2011, 16:50:20 »
And that is something that sets them apart. It's also something they only did because they belived there was no other way to protect what they had left.
Mordin Solus: We need a plan to stop them.
John Shepard: We fight or we die. That's the plan.
Ashley Williams: Wow. That's the plan? Is it just me, or did Shepard have better plans before he died?
Urdnot Wrex: Silence! This is the best plan anyone, anywhere has ever had!
Garrus Vakarian: Yes! I AM SO THERE I AM THERE ALREADY!
Tali'Zora vas Normandy: *Facepalm*

Jackmc

• Captain
    • How I pay the bills
« Reply #71 on: 24 February 2011, 18:07:34 »
I think we're getting overly hung up on semantics.  From a techncial standpoint are Clan ship crews techs and laborors?  Yes.  From a cultural standpoint are they warriors?  Yes.  They recieve military-specific training which in Clan society is the exclsuive purview of the Warrior caste.

At the same time, in the majority of Clans, they are warriors that couldn't test into a "real" military profession so they are porbably in the same boat as the police and justice system warriors  ie.  one very short step from Solohama.  Still as things go, in the hell that would be real life Clan society, it's probably one of the nicer ways to live. 

-Jackmc         

Register