Author Topic: Growing your fleet  (Read 72862 times)

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
Re: Growing your fleet
« Reply #300 on: 18 January 2020, 15:48:00 »
With resources like ship yards what do we think was more common in terms of payment? Barter such as I will trade you a star of mechs for yard time, purchase such as raw materials for repair or trialing for said services?

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #301 on: 18 January 2020, 17:53:15 »
Trialing for minor repairs I would think would work but usually scant rescources I would think would be the main medium for repairs.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #302 on: 28 January 2020, 19:44:01 »
With resources like ship yards what do we think was more common in terms of payment? Barter such as I will trade you a star of mechs for yard time, purchase such as raw materials for repair or trialing for said services?

My thoughts are that most clans (but not all), would maintain very minor shipyards where basic maintenance could be carried out.  This would keep a ship operational, and would be able to perform low-level armor repair.  More major overhauls, such as upgrading major ship systems, or replacing weaponry, or upgrading armor, would have to be done in more well-equipped yards.  At these yards a clan would more likely trial for a position on the repair/overhaul queue. 

As for the materials used to repair/overhaul, those would likely be supplied by the ship-owning clan in question or available for barter or separate trial (you lose, you pay more for the materials).  In my opinion, most clans would probably be fine with just putting their ship at the end of the queue and barter for the materials, while only particularly aggressive clans would trial for an earlier slot or for materials - it's never a good idea to piss off the people who run the docks.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #303 on: 29 January 2020, 13:16:58 »
Stone Lions have a single slip yard over Niles, I'm assuming they would contest anyone for their usage. If it was an ally, bargaining for either salvage, sibkos or materials would seem logical.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #304 on: 09 February 2020, 22:54:44 »
I have no doubts that the Home Clans have built up some more naval yards in the time that has passed.  The only thing stopping us from knowing about it for sure are the authors and developers.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #305 on: 10 February 2020, 15:50:57 »
Well, knowing about it and it happening are rather linked with that group of people....
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #306 on: 10 February 2020, 19:46:25 »
I know...  but my heart is in the coreward Deep Periphery. 

And with the writers.  There's so many things that could happen, might happen, not to mention what will happen,  that it can't be an easy job. 
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #307 on: 11 February 2020, 19:23:32 »
Just wanted to give a shout out to ravenstar studios for their awesome ship yard which I just https://www.ravenstarstudio.com/store/p429/Port_Montgomery_kit.html

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #308 on: 15 March 2020, 15:15:46 »
The biggest 'forgotten' caches are ones controlled by extinct Clans like the Mongoose or the Widowmakers when all there warriors were killed who knew the locations of those caches. Others like the Wolverines may have left ships behind and hidden that are lost but the Clans overall may have general caches that have been the primary source of warships. But remember there is a reason why many were cached to begin with. Damage that could not be repaired easy, damaged components, not enough trained crews. Things like that.

The nova cats had one of the biggest clan navies so a couple questions:

Recognizing their leaving of the homeworlds was under fire could isolated convos have been seized? Or by that point were all gloves off? Meaning would the cats have defended any convoy with all warships on hand?

Also if they had any ships cached that had to be left behind what do you think they would have been?

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #309 on: 26 April 2020, 18:03:26 »
What defense would a shipyard have? Defense sats  or turrets?

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #310 on: 27 April 2020, 06:29:46 »
What defense would a shipyard have? Defense sats  or turrets?

I'd think dropships and Aerofighters actually with a ring of surveillance sats to provide advance warning to the garrison.  Defense sats are not really very effective in game, too slow, not able to carry enough armor to protect their SI they would get chewed up fast.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #311 on: 27 April 2020, 09:47:54 »
Your best bet is to dig through FMU & TRO3067 . . . maybe '60, and check out details of the Viper's campaign to put forces on the ground at Lum.  Lum had the Raven's primary shipyard and there was no way they were/would grant safcon to the Vipers.  The Vipers knew that fact and planned accordingly- they built the Mercer specifically to penetrate the Raven's naval defense cordon.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #312 on: 27 April 2020, 18:42:18 »
I'd think dropships and Aerofighters actually with a ring of surveillance sats to provide advance warning to the garrison.  Defense sats are not really very effective in game, too slow, not able to carry enough armor to protect their SI they would get chewed up fast.

Lol then I guess I cannot justify buying more stuff from ravenstar studios... they have amazing space stations etc

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #313 on: 14 June 2020, 09:17:34 »
Are there any examples of IS warships being captured and held by clan forces?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #314 on: 14 June 2020, 11:25:57 »
Bears took a Kiri during the 1st war and the Warden Wolves had a Mjolnir for a bit before giving it back.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

ravensword

• Sergeant
« Reply #315 on: 14 June 2020, 13:00:44 »
The Ravens have a Thera.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #316 on: 14 June 2020, 19:18:54 »
The Ravens have a Thera.

Now I really want to see this painted up in Beta's Galaxy colors.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #317 on: 25 February 2021, 15:02:11 »
When the adders absorbed the burrocks they are noted to have “ rushed”a number of ships into mothballs due to their severely strained naval support arm at the time. My question is:

If a clan had an excess of warships and a rival clan who they had beef with attempted to trial for them would the adders have fought very hard to keep the ships?

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #318 on: 25 May 2021, 17:16:40 »
If he has shown talent, why should he have not begun a training?

----------

BTW I would have liked to see some more Clan updates of old warship classes (Kimagure, Baron, Farragut, Du Shi Wang et cetera)

I love a farragut and a Barron! But it would wishful thinking to suppose any are still chilling in the caches right?

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #319 on: 25 May 2021, 18:04:15 »
Clan Burrock 2.0 used a Riga, a Kimagure, and two Mako-class WarShips, among others. The first two were most likely the missing ships from Depot MKSC-2. A Baron-class ship operated by the Dark Caste was also destroyed by the Star Adders at the cache.

I like the idea of bandits at the controls of ancient and rare WarShips.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #320 on: 25 May 2021, 18:22:29 »
Clan Burrock 2.0 used a Riga, a Kimagure, and two Mako-class WarShips, among others. The first two were most likely the missing ships from Depot MKSC-2. A Baron-class ship operated by the Dark Caste was also destroyed by the Star Adders at the cache.

Right?! For my own kindraa mick kreese force I have them flying their freak flag from a Robison warship

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #321 on: 26 May 2021, 09:45:22 »

The question would be how long they can operate said Warship. WoR stated that there were only two bandit groups that were operating a Warship (I think one of them was the Osis Pride) and that those ships are not in a good state. Of course the woR left a lot of salvage in space so maybe some samrt bandit group was able to bring a ship back to life.

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #322 on: 26 May 2021, 11:47:21 »
The question would be how long they can operate said Warship. WoR stated that there were only two bandit groups that were operating a Warship (I think one of them was the Osis Pride) and that those ships are not in a good state. Of course the woR left a lot of salvage in space so maybe some samrt bandit group was able to bring a ship back to life.

Post-Abjurement, the Snow Ravens were barely able to field a fraction of their WarShips (even with a naval repair yard and the resources of a small interstellar nation). Given that they lack any support whatsoever, any Dark Caste ships would fall apart in short order due to a lack of maintenance. Their appearance in the Wars of Reaving were short-lived, anyway, before most were destroyed.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #323 on: 08 June 2021, 19:08:02 »
For wacky infighting clans like the mandrills who had a small and divided navy would each kindraas watch monitor the navies of each other kindraa?

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #324 on: 10 June 2021, 20:20:51 »
For wacky infighting clans like the mandrills who had a small and divided navy would each kindraas watch monitor the navies of each other kindraa?

I would imagine so. There aren't heaps of opportunities for WarShips to do much at all, so the space Mandrills need to keep busy. WarShip Tag?

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #325 on: 04 January 2022, 18:59:36 »

Did any of the burrock fleet escape the WoR?

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #326 on: 04 January 2022, 21:08:31 »
Did any of the burrock fleet escape the WoR?

I'll break out the book later tonight and do some research. I seem to recall thinking that not every ship was accounted as destroyed, but there is not a comprehensive list of what occurred (escaped/destroyed). I'll look for mention of each ship's confirmed destruction. I bet the fate of a few was left ambiguous.

What I do recall at the moment:

There were seven (7) ships. The Wars of Reaving sourcebook is 'written' by Diamond Shark Loremaster Semi Kalasa, which leaves the possibility of ships that were never accounted for by the other Clans. A story possibility if you like, but I think the named seven make for a reasonable count.

The Ingrid Bucherev arrived in the Tanis system and its oft-repaired jump system was destroyed in the process. I'll check the book to see if there was confirmation of its destruction, but there was no way that it could have escaped.

Update to come. I'm curious now too.  :thumbsup:

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #327 on: 05 January 2022, 09:19:24 »
I think the Burrock fleet was wiped out. The majority died fighting against the Adders over the length of the WoR The last ship was the Streaking Mist (or the Osis Pride not sure which one) and this ship was destroyed when the Adders cornered the Jaguar aka Rossou Howell

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #328 on: 05 January 2022, 13:19:50 »
Clan Burrock WarShips

Rebirth: Likely involved in Battle of Priori. Fate unknown.

Hetherington: Destroyed in Battle of Salonika.

Tremor: Involved in Battle of Nouveaux Paris. Fate unknown.

Admiral Russell Nga: Involved in Battle of Salonika. Likely involved in Battle of Priori. Fate unknown.

Stone Crab: Involved in Battle of Salonika. Likely involved in Battle of Priori. Fate unknown.

Ingrid Bucharev: Stranded in Tanis system. Possibly destroyed in Battle of Tanis (3074)

Second Coming: Salvaged from Clan Cloud Cobra after Battle of Tanis (3073). Possibly destroyed in Battle of Tanis (3074)

Allied Society/Bandit WarShips

Prinz Eugen: Destroyed in Battle of Tanis (3073).

Osis Pride: Joined Connor Rood and Clan Ice Hellion in 3072. Dismantled for parts.

Streaking Mist: Involved in Second Battle of Waypoint 531. Involved in Battle of Priori. Likely destroyed in a misjump.

Nikolai Tesla: Suffers crippling damage during an attack on Clan Diamond Shark in 3072. Galaxy Commander William Gastopiv reports that it was destroyed during a misjump.

Fuchida: Destroyed by Clan Goliath Scorpion at First Battle of Waypoint 531.

Unknown Baron-class Vessel: Stolen from Star Adder cache (along with, presumably, the Hetherington and the Admiral Russell Nga) and destroyed there by Adder forces at end of 3072.

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #329 on: 05 January 2022, 13:22:04 »
There you go. Four Burrock WarShips were unaccounted for after the Wars of Reaving. While three were involved in the Battle of Priori, it should be made clear that the Burrock fleet retreated. The fourth, the Tremor, did specifically escape from the Battle of Nouveaux Paris.

So, where are they now?

Register