Author Topic: MW2: Help me find a DropShip please  (Read 1680 times)

Frabby

• Major
MW2: Help me find a DropShip please
« on: 07 March 2019, 03:33:47 »
I've recently added a slew of DropShips from the Wolf Clan Sourcebook to Sarna, including one Union-class vessel named Bannockburn. And somewhere in the back of my mind, I felt I had heard that name before. (No, not the Rifleman.)

In my notes of yonder days that I'm (slowly) migrating to Sarna, I have indeed found a Clan Wolf DropShip of unspecified type named Bannockburn. The source noted is MW2, and I tentatively noted it down as a Union-C; it was a spheroid vessel in any case. I also seem to remember that it was under attack, crashlanded, or otherwise destroyed in the game.

Now my search-fu fails me. I haven't been able to find context for this vessel, or even find where it appears in the game. I'm not going to replay the game, even if I could get it to run on a modern PC, and I've had no luck in Mendrugo's mission transcripts of Sarna nor online playthrough videos that I watched for every mission where a DropShip is mentioned in the transcripts.

Anyone here who can recall this DropShip in the game, and where it appears?
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Re: MW2: Help me find a DropShip please
« Reply #1 on: 07 March 2019, 04:49:45 »
The ship in the game is the WCS Hermione, in the Aquiline Fire mission.

Since the Hermione does not appear in the Wolf sourcebook, perhaps you had speculated that the Hermione was the Bannockburn in your earlier notes.
« Last Edit: 07 March 2019, 04:57:19 by Mendrugo »
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 07 March 2019, 05:07:41 »
I had found the Hermione (an aerodyne design) while researching for the Bannockburn, and created a Sarna article for it.
But the vessel I'm after is definitely named Bannockburn, and it's a different, spheroid ship. Says so in my old text file from over 20 years ago.

Maybe the old reference note was for Ghost Bear's Legacy, or MW2:Mercs. I'll go and check these games too (Though the Roughriders DropShip in the latter game was the Wild-Ride).
« Last Edit: 07 March 2019, 05:09:16 by Frabby »
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #3 on: 07 March 2019, 05:34:34 »
Unless it was from a non-OCR'd source, you'll come up empty.  The only Bannockburns I've found are:

Davis McCall's Rifleman
Bannockburn's Bandits (mercenary unit)
The Bannockburn Bogs on Skye
Colin McBurnham's Enforcer
The Isthmus of Bannockburn on Wayside V
The SLDF's 360th BattleMech Division (The Bannockburn Division)
Sarah McCallan's Gallowglas

The only named DropShip in GBL is the Justice (yours in Defend on Chandler and Destroy Orbital Platform).
The named DropShips in MW2 - Mercs are the Wild-Ride (Hansen's Roughriders), and the Fire Stallion (Oberon's Raiders),
« Last Edit: 07 March 2019, 05:45:15 by Mendrugo »
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Apocal

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 07 March 2019, 16:53:35 »
Now my search-fu fails me. I haven't been able to find context for this vessel, or even find where it appears in the game. I'm not going to replay the game, even if I could get it to run on a modern PC, and I've had no luck in Mendrugo's mission transcripts of Sarna nor online playthrough videos that I watched for every mission where a DropShip is mentioned in the transcripts.

Anyone here who can recall this DropShip in the game, and where it appears?

The third mission of the Jade Falcon campaign, MIRROR CAGE.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #5 on: 07 March 2019, 17:05:02 »
Thanks, Apocal.  For the transcripts, I’d just fast forwarded through the missions and transcribed the setup and completion text.  Most of the time, the in-mission audio added nothing.  But the computer clearly calls it the Bannockburn after you blow it up.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 08 March 2019, 03:43:35 »
The third mission of the Jade Falcon campaign, MIRROR CAGE.
Many thanks!  :thumbsup:  Gotta love this forum and the BT community.

And also... Groan! MIRROR CAGE fit my memories perfectly and was the first playthrough I watched. But in the HUD the vessel is simply identified as "Wolf DropShip", and I didn't think to turn audio on. Upon re-watching, yeah, the computer confirms its destruction and names the ship via audio. :P