Author Topic: Dark Age Davion paintjobs  (Read 3695 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Dark Age Davion paintjobs
« on: 05 March 2020, 03:19:08 »
Folks,

I'm working on painting up standard BT size units representing DA units, using the DA paintschemes. I've done the Kuritans and Capellan in my best take on the DA schemes (feel free to comment on how effectively!) And now, it's time for the Davions.

Except.

The formal Davion DA scheme look pretty ... dull. Basically dark green with a little white/cream trim. Less on the green units (Capellan March Militia), more on the elite (Davion Brigade of Guards).  Many have considerable "dirt" added to the legs.

On some of the Davion DA minis in my collection, too the white looks more greenish - like green wash over white. Is this common?

I mean, I'd almost rather do Swordsworn - their Davion green and blue scheme looks great - but it wouldn't be "authentic".

So please am I grabbing the details of DA House Davion correctly?

Cheers, and thanks in advance!
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
Re: Dark Age Davion paintjobs
« Reply #1 on: 05 March 2020, 11:30:11 »
That is correct

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #2 on: 07 March 2020, 13:07:58 »
Well, Aaron Sandoval folded his Swordsworn forces into the AFFS . . . and died with them on Tikonov.  So the 3 Swordsworn regiments officially became part of the AFFS when Tikonov was annexed around 3135 or more likely 3136.  It would appear they filled out the Third and Fourth Lancers- in 3145 the Third's Colonel Wallace Glynn had started off with Aaron as a lance corporal in the Prince's Men which was the green regiment but that was per fluff due to their lack of experience working together.  He could have been a Sandoval retainer from the Drac March since some of the individuals were from that source.

Activated in 3134 as part of the re-armament program, they could have been a paper RCT until Aaron's recruits and equipment fleshed them out.  No proof of them fighting before defending Tikonov in '45.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2020, 14:47:43 »
Is it just me or that Davion DA paint scheme basically the Fed Suns Armored Cav scheme?

I thought they were Davion Green w/ White Highlights.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2020, 15:02:32 »
Well, I'm working off the DA minis themselves. Yes, it's pretty similar, but none of the named units in DA are the Armoured Cav.

Honestly, I think that the manufacturer had just got tired/bored by then. The initial paintschemes are often very good - the Capellan base scheme, Jade Falcons, Banson's Raiders, Stormhammer, etc - but have nothing to do with BT schemes. But by the end, the DA Davion and Lyran house schemes are "flat colour plus a few bits of white".

And seen as my project is to do IWM minis in the official House DA paintschemes ...
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2020, 19:31:34 »
Who are the "Named" House Davion units from MWDA.

I stopped playing at Liao Incursion so I never saw the later additions & rules.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2020, 20:14:58 »
Green: Capellan March Militia
Veteran: Crucis Lancers (unnumbered)
Elite: Davion Brigade of Guards

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #7 on: 24 May 2020, 12:13:06 »
One of the intentional choices they made was to stick with two colors for each faction. 50:50 was the veteran unit. Predominately one color was the elite with predominately the other color was the green. They wanted to make sure that all Davion units looked similar so you didn't have to look for the faction symbol all the time.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 24 May 2020, 12:17:32 »
Interesting.

Looking at the mini above I'd say it favors one of the traditional Crucis Lancers w/ all the green & just a few highlights. 

Similar to the FSAC I mentioned.

Given what Cavinjan said, I wonder if its actually supposed to be true FS colors at all or just something MWDA had to come up with for simplicity.

I find it hard to believe the Guards would give up there traditional Blue-White-Red.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 24 May 2020, 18:12:01 »
just something MWDA had to come up with for simplicity.

I'd put my money on this. As it is, I've decided to pump-fake - medium green, with limited white panelling, and some discrete yellow details to indicate 2nd Crucis Lancers.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 24 May 2020, 19:03:00 »
That sounds really nice.

Simple yet distinctive.

I started a project to paint my MWDA mechs years ago after the game died, or I left it anyway, into the same colors to match a traditional CBT unit scheme.
I wanted to do up some SLDF style mostly homogeneous units since there are so many duplicates in the MWDA series.

I figured I could do up a Dav Guards scheme for instance with 4 each of the Centurion & Hatchetman & Locust that were common-ish in the boosters.
Actually, I don't recall if I ever even got to the Guards.

I think my first project was taking a bunch of the more common Clan mechs  (Kit Fox, Cougar, Mist Lynx) & painting them in Wolf colors to have a Striker Binary.
IIRC after the first star or so I switched to another project.  I seem to recall they didn't like being painted well be it from the plastic or existing paint I don't recall.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 24 May 2020, 20:10:05 »
Whereas I'm painting IWM (etc) minis to match the DA schemes. Lots of folks have done excellent repaints - check SchwerpunktPrinzip for one. I did a little accurising on the Summoner & Hellbringer, and he did the paint:

I've never had problems repainting my DAs - might be worth giving them a rinse in warm soapy water though.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 25 May 2020, 13:45:29 »
Just noticed that the Davion units in MW:AoD are nearly the exact same paint scheme as the 10th Lyran Regulars.
http://www.camospecs.com/Unit/Details/655/10th-lyran-regulars
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 25 May 2020, 17:41:33 »
Technically, the Lyran Regulars have tan highlights, even if the pics on CSO look paler. The DA minis are definitely white-ish - slight cream or green tinges on occasion.

In my head, my minis are going to be Crucis Lancers, with the limited white patches for ID purposes, like D-day stripes or Gulf War chevrons.

Register