Author Topic: Monbvol's House rule emporium  (Read 96177 times)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Re: Monbvol's House rule emporium
« Reply #240 on: 31 May 2013, 09:58:10 »
Finally got around to fixing the Amegis Compact mech designations and I am much happier with them now.  Going to have a good think on how to handle the Darian Supremacy since I'm done with the Carfana Federation(which I should post one of these days) and am willing to let the Corporate Sector use the Battletech style naming conventions.

I'm also still contemplating reworking my random allocation table to remove LAMs(still on there currently) and the only thing that is stopping me from doing so is how nicely they break up the Vehicle = Tonnage that I dislike so much.  I've also noticed I've been sneaking in new variants and even new designs so I could start sliding some of those into the RATs to break things up.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #241 on: 07 June 2013, 12:02:04 »
I've finally decided to commit some more changes to ACs.

My revisions as they currently stand for stats:

AC-2 4 Tons 1 Critical 1 Heat Short Range: 9 Medium Range: 18 Long Range: 27 Ammo: 60 Standard / 40 Precision and the like / 90 for Caseless and the like
AC-5 6 Tons 3 Criticals 1 Heat SR: 7 MR: 14 LR: 21 Ammo 24 / 16 / 36
AC-10 10 Tons 6 Criticals 3 Heat SR: 5 MR: 10 LR: 15 Ammo 12 / 8 / 18
AC-20 12 Tons 9 Criticals 7 Heat SR: 3 MR: 6 LR: 9 Ammo 6 / 4 / 9

I'm still considering if I need to make them even lighter and, for the ones that can be, more compact.

And a slight adjustment to LRMs:

A target counts as one hex farther away only for the purposes of determining minimum range for indirect fire.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #242 on: 12 June 2013, 12:58:36 »
Slightly closer to the AToW side of things I realized in my optional random events there was nothing to imply starting a family in Stage 4.  So I slipped that in there.  Other than that I'm quite happy with how they've turned out so far.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #243 on: 13 June 2013, 21:34:38 »
Kind of in a gray area right now for continuing my AU FanFic.

Currently covering the False Wars.  About 5 years of mercenaries, pirates, special operations, and intelligence organizations messing with everyone and doing it well enough that no one launched anything more substantial than the odd punitive raid.  If I had a bit more worked out about the Darian Supremacy and Carfana Federation I'd probably call it my overall best era for an AToW campaign set in this AU.  Since I don't that falls to the armed uprising during the Birth of Nations of what would become the Corporate Sector.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #244 on: 01 July 2013, 17:02:10 »
Been thinking a bit lately and realized I do need to clarify something about my AU.  While I'm more than happy to give Rumble Seat for free to everything to actually hook up and use more than one Mechwarrior at a time requires the Command Console option to be installed.

Also been working out stuff for my next segment of my AU fanfic.  If I could just get in a writing frame of mind I could probably have it up today but for some reason I haven't been lately and not sure when that will change.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #245 on: 07 July 2013, 12:21:52 »
With some new interest in my AU setting stuff I figure I might actually go ahead and share a few things I've been keeping to myself about it.

At first I was hesitant to put a time line to it.  I really wanted to avoid any possible issues of having too much time for too few events.  Frankly the Battletech time line could be reworked so that 500-700 years could be chopped out and it wouldn't suffer a damn bit as far as I can tell.  But as I worked on my setting more and more I found I did have to come up with one so that I could develop the AToW side of things more fully.

I do actually have a rough population figure in mind of 10 billion for my setting but I'm not going to ever make that a firm and official number.

I do have a lot of manufacturing details worked out but I do realize I probably should have more manufacturers.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #246 on: 12 July 2013, 16:55:58 »
Made a slight update to the Amegis Compact faction write up.  It still feels a bit incomplete but like it is nearing reasonable completion at the same time.

Either way feel free to give me feed back about items you'd like to see it cover that you feel are missing, anything seems out of place, or jarring.

The Belarus Alliance document I'll try and give a look at next and something I have to consider for them is how to identify individual clones.  I'm leaning toward the fairly obvious idea of an alphanumeric identifier just so I can avoid a purely numeric one as that is even more obvious and feels a bit more done to death.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #247 on: 24 July 2013, 00:40:04 »
I just had a bit of a thought on the BAR rules to make some interesting choices available now.

If AP>=2xBAR reduce BD to 1 and apply MOS as indicated for the attack type.  Unarmored people are considered to have a minimum BAR of 1 for the purposes of this rule/calculation.  Injuries and armor degredation still occur for the damage as appropriate.

As always feed back appreciated.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #248 on: 24 July 2013, 01:42:14 »
What's that supposed to accomplish?

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #249 on: 24 July 2013, 09:43:09 »
Okay looking at it while it does a decent job of modeling over penetration it is not going to achieve my primary goal of making it more viable to wear the middle of the road armors.  I'll have to think on how to make personal armors with BARs lower than 6 in a category more worthwhile to wear.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #250 on: 25 July 2013, 21:59:11 »
I keep running into one problem with this whole BAR problem I've developed.

I can't fix it without breaking something else.

I guess I'm just going to have to live with having heavy armor or no armor as even with the most durable PC rules from AToW still can have combat decided in the first exchange of gunfire.

Acolyte

• Lieutenant
« Reply #251 on: 25 July 2013, 22:27:37 »
Questions:

Do you use the optional rules from AToW Companion?

If so, the modifier for the second location we use is "If the attack hits armor: -2 if AP and BAR are equal, adjusted by the relative AP to BAR." I.e. the AP has to be 2 points higher for this modifier to be canceled and if the BAR is higher, the modifier is reduced even more. The second change we make is that if the adjusted roll is less than 1, roll 1d6-1 on the Fatigue damage chart. All damage will be fatigue from this hit. Also, if a random Fatigue damage hit would qualify for triple damage it instead does the normal amount, but is Standard rather than Fatigue.

If you don't, how about armor reducing damage by a minimum of 1 unless the AP is double the BAR?

How about if BAR is greater than AP, damage is Fatigue, if AP equals BAR damage is halved but Standard?

These were some of the solutions the we discused and it became a choice between them. We eventually went for the first.

Hope it helps!
   - Shane
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion
It is by the coffee that my thoughts acquire speed
My teeth acquire stains
The stains become a warning
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #252 on: 26 July 2013, 00:27:55 »
The only problem I have with the AToW and AToW Companion improved durability rules is that burst fire does so much to make up for any shortfalls of BAR>AP.  I can't think of a way to fix that without screwing over the not burst weapons without doing a complete re-write of the burst mechanics and I don't want to go that far.

Acolyte

• Lieutenant
« Reply #253 on: 26 July 2013, 15:19:29 »
Ah, couple options there:

1. Burst fire gets a bonus to hit of +1 for every 5 shots or fraction thereof
or
2. Burst fire rolls separately for every 5 shots normally.

and

3. Burst fire gets a bonus every 4 MOS just like regular single shot weapons, but instead of adding 1 damage, it's another shot hitting and being modified by armor.

Shane
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion
It is by the coffee that my thoughts acquire speed
My teeth acquire stains
The stains become a warning
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #254 on: 26 July 2013, 15:24:39 »
I may have to give those a try if I can ever get my gaming group to play AToW again.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #255 on: 01 August 2013, 00:32:05 »
Been mulling over a few things lately.

Mostly I've come to the conclusion that without an active AToW game using my house rules in my or anyone else's group I may be at a point of idleness for coming up with new house rules.  So this is likely to be my last post on this thread for a while.

I'm also realizing I'm losing interest in continuing my AU fanfic.  I will at least try and give it a finish, even if it is a bit rushed and has really short chapters for those that remain but no promises.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #256 on: 27 August 2013, 23:32:18 »
I've finally decided to eliminate Wealth as a stand alone trait with how I've worked Status.

Where this could get complicated though is that I fully intend for it to be possible for a character to have say Status/Civilian 3 and Status/Military 5 as say a reservist with a fairly decent regular job and thus some social standing.  For a somewhat realistic and simplistic approach I'm thinking that the Wealth conversions be completed then totaled and buy equipment with the highest Equipped sub category.  For the pay bonus each Status would have to be applied separately to the appropriate field/regular job/criminal racket.

I'll think about how to word this for the master document then see about getting that uploaded.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #257 on: 07 September 2013, 00:11:10 »
I still need to work out the wording on that Wealth update.

For now though I do need to adjust my AU timeline to reflect the changes I've decided to make to it in my AU Fanfic What If... but I'm just not sure if it would really be worth it to do the upload.

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #258 on: 16 September 2013, 00:24:45 »
The problem with the load bearing equipment is it counts as armor for the stacking armor rules and thus combining it with real armor makes Infantry automatically Encumbered.

Still though I do consider it likely anyone intentionally building an Infantry character will already have it in mind to have a high Strength so I'm still not sold on the idea of actually enforcing a minimum Strength but the implications AToW converted to TW/TM seems to make it does suggest 6 is the minimum even accounting for load bearing equipment.  Otherwise some of the heavier Support Weapons even with their weight divided up evenly amongst the crew would automatically encumber them with anything less despite not having the Encumbering trait.  Part of my resistance is also the idea that according to AToW it takes a Complex Action to Pack/Unpack a Support Weapon.  This would mean any support weapon should be considered Encumbering anyway by TW/TM.

All things considered though it probably would be easier to House Rule that Load Bearing Gear is designed with the idea of being layered with Armor and thus not Encumbering in that way and Pack/Unpack is a one time a turn only Incidental Action and not bash players over the head with something that I consider likely to happen anyway without having to formalize it.

Sorry for necroing this part, but I recently read through ATOW and noticed this issue.

Two other solutions.  One, you can have armor incorporate LBE as part of the design, so the cost and mass are extra for a vest, jacket, or suit that employs this option.  You lose the (minimal) armor value of a stand alone LBE vest in the deal.

Alternative, doesn't it seem strange that say an Inner Sphere neurohelmet will equal stagger a forty kilo weakling and an Elemental if they both pick it up?  Maybe an alternate rule for encumbering equipment where due to bulk, bad ergonomics, or in the case of clothing the restrictive nature, the item's weight is multiplied by some factor when calculating encumbrance?

Something like this:
Ecumbering gear.  Multiply the mass by 3-STR modifier, that is the mass for calculating encumbrance.  So a character with STR 2 will barely be able to pick up a 6kg neurohelmet, while a character with STR 7 will be much less inconvenienced with it.

In terms of armor, the inner most piece is the 'base layer' and taken at standard weight, unless it is itself encumbering.  Up to two more layers may be worn over it, each having an encumbering multiplier used on it's effective weight.  Yes, that means if you have an encumbering over-layer the multiplier is effectively squared.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #259 on: 16 September 2013, 00:44:41 »
I welcome input.

I think I like the idea of armor incorporating LBE as standard the best overall.  I'll have to consider the implications for civilian use of LBE under such a change.  After all if LBE is too hard for a civilians to get a hold of even if it is part of their job it'll be rather worthless gear if basic armor kits replicate the bonus.

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #260 on: 16 September 2013, 06:56:25 »
A standalone LBE vest has a B-A(all eras)-A equipment rating.  I believe the description in the RPG version prior to ATOW mentioned building them into the armor.  OTOH that version had an armor value of 1/5/1/1, while the ATOW version had a ballistic armor value of 3.
« Last Edit: 16 September 2013, 07:00:45 by Nikas_Zekeval »

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #261 on: 16 September 2013, 08:57:52 »
Then including them standard as a part of most armor kits works for me.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #262 on: 06 October 2013, 11:23:20 »
Just so I don't have to do a bunch or re-writes I'm going to make a slight adjustment to the load bearing gear adjustment I just made.

Allow it to be an "add on" feature.  For no extra weight but 10% more C-Bill cost you can have load bearing built into your armor.

I've also been doing some fresh module build runs of creating characters using my house rules and AU factions since it has been a while, long enough I've lost my notes from the last time I tried.  It is a little more labor intensive I'd say but not bad.  I'll have to do it a couple more times just so I can get a better sense of how they compare XP wise to vanilla AToW characters but just eyeballing it I can see some differences but not entirely obvious ones.

PurpleDragon

• Captain
« Reply #263 on: 07 October 2013, 11:29:08 »
I've finally decided to eliminate Wealth as a stand alone trait with how I've worked Status.

Where this could get complicated though is that I fully intend for it to be possible for a character to have say Status/Civilian 3 and Status/Military 5 as say a reservist with a fairly decent regular job and thus some social standing.  For a somewhat realistic and simplistic approach I'm thinking that the Wealth conversions be completed then totaled and buy equipment with the highest Equipped sub category.  For the pay bonus each Status would have to be applied separately to the appropriate field/regular job/criminal racket.

I'll think about how to word this for the master document then see about getting that uploaded.

This seems to me like it should be affecting the Income trait rather than the Wealth trait. 

I say this because, as I understand it, Wealth represents what your character starts with through inheritance or whatever has happened in his/her past.  Income, on the other hand, provides a monthly from something like a business; likely some real-estate for rent; which would be affected by social circles.   

Just an observation. 
give a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. 
Set him on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

The secret to winning the land/air battle is that you must always remain rigidly flexible.

I like tabletop more anyway, computer games are for nerds!  -  Knallogfall

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #264 on: 07 October 2013, 11:52:41 »
The way I intend to handle it is that Status will impact both starting wealth and regular job income in accordance to the rules for rank providing a modifier to monthly income found in vanilla AToW.

And I have no trouble feeding into the perception that with money comes influence that my adjustment implies, even in the case of an inheritance.

Another control method is that I also have no trouble downgrading someone's Status after game starts if they burn through their influence or otherwise sabotage their current social standing.

Overall for the sake of making something that isn't going to be heavily invested in without incentive have more incentive to be invested in I'm unlikely to leave Wealth as a separate trait.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #265 on: 04 November 2013, 08:15:15 »
On a somewhat related note I've started thinking about the value of Vehicle as a stand alone trait.

It may be something exclusive to my group but I've noticed that one of the first things to go or otherwise not even considered in a character creation is Rank.  It is one of the reasons I've come up with my current Status system.  It provides a much better framework of resources you can tap into as a matter of your chosen profession and where you are in your current career path.

My first thought is I need to create probably at least 50 IndustrialMechs, 50 Support Vehicles of each major type, and probably a few other units intended primarily for Civilian use.  If I do that then I can just add some more points to Connections and Status on the premise that they get used for a Vehicle rating.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #266 on: 22 November 2013, 01:27:11 »
Discussion in another thread has given me a bit of an idea I've been going back and forth on.  A character with more than one Status trait.  I've decided for simplicities' sake that this new trait shall be ID specific but at the same time it will be more complicated as Wealth and Equipped will now have to be tracked individually for each ID and consequently each piece of equipment purchased/requisitioned for each ID will need such a note added.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #267 on: 22 November 2013, 01:57:54 »
And looks like I already had it that way in my document.  Oh well.  Took the opportunity to clean a couple things up anyway.  Link should still be valid in first post.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #268 on: 20 December 2013, 00:11:37 »
Well after clearing up suppressing fire it seems appropriate for me to share my thoughts on how to solve the teleporting bullet problem for the rules as written.

It requires also tracing line of effect.  For an example of what I mean I have a handy visual aide that I created to help me ask my question to TPTB on the matter.

Blue is where the shooter performing suppressing fire is.  Red are the intended hexes.  Yellow are the hexes where the line of effect is.  So a unit moves into a yellow hex for a person or Battle Armor make an Edge based single attribute check using current edge if lower then base Edge.  On a failure they take damage as described in the rules for suppressing fire with a MoS inversely equal to their MoF as if they had instead moved into one of the Red hexes.  Make this check for each new hex with a cumulative -1 for each Yellow hex entered.  Either way suppression fire continues to the Red hexes as normal for simplicity's sake.

I'm still considering how to handle inserting a barrier(like say someone drives a Goblin APC between the shooter and the Red hexes to provide cover for any targets having to cross through the Red and subsequent Yellow hexes).  I'm seriously considering just saying that such an inserted barrier takes two maximum bursts worth of damage using the normal rapid fire rules sacrificing any TMM mods and applying size modifiers as normal but stops the suppressing fire at the inserted barrier.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #269 on: 23 December 2013, 01:51:18 »
I've decided to revisit something I talked about before at least in passing.

Replacing the Stage 0 Affiliation modules with a somewhat simplified set of modules that can be used to reflect any affiliation using player choice of XP reward options or even just plain free XP to let them reflect the affiliation they wish to belong to.

Like instead of Federated Suns/Crucis March I'd go Core World/Capitol World setting up a few sub options to spice things up.

So far I've got the following in mind for main categories:

Contested Border
Core Region
Fringe Territories
Mixed Borders Region
Multiple Contested Borders Region
Multiple Peaceful Borders Region
Peaceful Border Region

And for second tier choices:

Capital World
Developed World
Frontier Colony
Garden World
Military Post
Neglected Backwater
Regional Capital
Scientific Outpost
Strategically Important Industrial World
Toxic Wasteland

I'll see about getting these written up and if I come up with more I'll get them added in.

Register