Author Topic: Strafing Modifiers  (Read 1128 times)

DarkJaguar

• Master Sergeant
Strafing Modifiers
« on: 05 March 2018, 21:06:50 »
I wanted to ask about strafing and the applicable modifiers now that things have been errata'd into a confusing morass.

There is a modifier in the back of the manual (it's been errata'd as well, so reference the last page of the AS Errata 2.3.1) that lists a modifier for 'Area-Effect Attack' as +1.  Initially I thought this would apply to a strafe run, but now I would disagree with this point.  My argument is based on a strafing run does not affect an area like bombs and artillery, but rather it potentially effects any unit inside of that area.  The difference is that a bomb can target the ground under a unit's feet and ignore TMM, whereas a strafing run must make an attack roll against every unit inside the strafing area.

So which would it be?
Skill+4+TMM
-or-
Skill+4+TMM+1

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Strafing Modifiers
« Reply #1 on: 05 March 2018, 21:22:56 »
Strafe is not an area effect attack. 
Area of Effect is defined on p8. Strafing is not a "circle around a center point".  Strafing on p55 never calls itself an area of effect.

And the intent was that the modifier was for attacks that can hit a target without targeting it directly. They can target something else (point of impact, a different unit) and then hit everything else in the area. Strafing still targets each target separately and actually targets them (they get their TMM, cover, etc).
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

DarkJaguar

• Master Sergeant
Re: Strafing Modifiers
« Reply #2 on: 05 March 2018, 21:37:22 »
Awesome, thanks for the quick response!