Author Topic: Is AToW perfect for a Resident Evil campaign?  (Read 4644 times)

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
Is AToW perfect for a Resident Evil campaign?
« on: 06 April 2018, 19:52:15 »
So, I was trying to come up with an easy way to make a dungeon out of an HPG station my players will have to take control of, and I thought of using a mansion map from Resident Evil. Then I thought, "Why don't I just run a Resident Evil campaign with AToW some time?"

Thanks to the awesome creature creation, an AToW Resident Evil Campaign seems like a great idea. What do you guys think?

Yes, I already have read the Necro-Nightmare.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Re: Is AToW perfect for a Resident Evil campaign?
« Reply #1 on: 06 April 2018, 22:09:52 »
Then I'd say you got everything you need and yes it should work quite nicely.

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 08 April 2018, 06:31:31 »
Should work. Just start with normal human stats, and boost STR, WIL and BOD. Some of em won't be mindless zombies, of course. Use the base combat rules as they ought to be deadly enough.
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #3 on: 08 April 2018, 07:48:02 »
MechWarrior Third Edition worked for everything. I imagine AToW works ok.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Lamont-Cranston

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 27 April 2018, 01:59:43 »
GURPS might be, they have a biotech supplement that details a lot of genetic mutations

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 28 April 2018, 12:23:52 »
GURPS might be, they have a biotech supplement that details a lot of genetic mutations

I have played GURPS. I understand that GURPS has a rule book for everything because there are over 100 rule books per edition (just about). However, I like having all of the rules in one or two books only, for my RPG. That way, I don't have to pick and choose which rules out of the system I will be using, and I don't have to balance them on my own. 

Although, I do use the GURPS 4th edition Basic Set for positive and negative trait ideas in A Time of War. I find it is pretty easy to convert them over.

kronovan

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2018, 14:38:49 »
TBH I wouldn't run such a campaign with AToW, because while it's a decent RPG for running a SciFi military-themed campaign, the heavy crunch of the rules would get in the way of a survival horror setting like Resident Evil.  If I were to run a RE campaign, I'd use Savage Worlds Deluxe with the Horror Companion. The cores rules for it are much simpler with more fluid combat, while its Horror Companion supplemental book has good content and details on how to run survival horror (that book calls it Action Horror) campaigns. Not to mentions it's cheap and you can get both of those books for around $30; less if you're cool with PDFs. There's also an existing 3rd party setting for SWD called War of the Dead, which would give have a lot of the monsters, NPCs and adventures.

Another system that's good for this sort of horror campaign is the Basic Role Play system. It's been a while since I played in or ran any campaigns with it, but it's popular for horror settings and works well for them.

Of course if you players are very familiar with AToW, then that would help make it a more viable option.

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2018, 12:48:28 »
TBH I wouldn't run such a campaign with AToW, because while it's a decent RPG for running a SciFi military-themed campaign, the heavy crunch of the rules would get in the way of a survival horror setting like Resident Evil.  If I were to run a RE campaign, I'd use Savage Worlds Deluxe with the Horror Companion. The cores rules for it are much simpler with more fluid combat, while its Horror Companion supplemental book has good content and details on how to run survival horror (that book calls it Action Horror) campaigns. Not to mentions it's cheap and you can get both of those books for around $30; less if you're cool with PDFs. There's also an existing 3rd party setting for SWD called War of the Dead, which would give have a lot of the monsters, NPCs and adventures.

Another system that's good for this sort of horror campaign is the Basic Role Play system. It's been a while since I played in or ran any campaigns with it, but it's popular for horror settings and works well for them.

Of course if you players are very familiar with AToW, then that would help make it a more viable option.

I have played Savage Worlds before. Savage Worlds is great for a one-shot or as a beginner RPG. However, Savage Worlds is far too simple to keep me and my group interested. The group I played Savage Worlds with got bored with the rules after 2 sessions; those were 2 great sessions though, and it was a one-shot anyway.

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 24 June 2018, 21:23:49 »
I made the first part of the Resident Evil 1 mansion into an RPG map. 3 of my players ran it not knowing what it was ahead of time. This worked out really well with AToW. Since the zombies are unarmed, they only do fatigue damage; this gives that video game quick healing feel. The bosses did standard damage of course.

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 24 June 2018, 21:24:24 »
Here is the set up

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 24 June 2018, 21:25:14 »
Second floor

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 24 June 2018, 21:25:42 »
First floor

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 24 June 2018, 22:09:24 »
Awesome, love the legos!
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Zinmar

• Private
« Reply #13 on: 13 February 2019, 19:09:59 »
I know I read necro-nightmare someplace but I can't recall where it was.

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 14 February 2019, 14:25:14 »

That inspired this a bit.

Finlos

• Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 14 February 2019, 20:22:56 »
It was a free Hallowe'en give away a few years back.

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #16 on: 16 February 2019, 06:35:32 »
At what point did the players do that "Ohhhhhhh!" recognition thing? Or did they fail to recognise the source throughout?
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 16 February 2019, 17:07:55 »
At what point did the players do that "Ohhhhhhh!" recognition thing? Or did they fail to recognise the source throughout?

My players did not believe that I made a direct translation of the video game to the table top until they went home and watched a playthrough of the mansion I made. Then, my player's minds blew. I really thought using the RE1 player's guide at the table would have been a dead give away, but apparently it wasn't.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #18 on: 16 February 2019, 18:46:52 »
That's hilarious!  Awesome GM work!  :thumbsup:

Register