Author Topic: Redemption & Malice -- spoilers  (Read 2758 times)

abou

• Captain
Redemption & Malice -- spoilers
« on: 07 August 2020, 07:46:38 »
Finally got a chance to read this short story. I never got the original code to download it from the Kickstarter; however, thankfully they sent out a code for a mass download of products from the Catalyst Store in July. Overall, I think it was a good story. Maybe a bit generic, but only so much plot you can cram in. And it hearkened back to the old scavenger mentality of the original setting. I haven't been too crazy about the latest fiction coming out, but I did enjoy this one.

Obvious the most interesting part of it is the Clan Wolverine allusions throughout -- not just the last line. The hints to what they have become and what their goals may be are something I want to see prusued. I do wonder though if we will see more. The writers have been more open about information about the Wolverines in fiction for years now, but I do not know if this something that will lead to a big reveal or will just continue to operate in the background. For example, the Pulverizer write-up in TRO Golden Century.

I have to admit though, that the first time I read the words The Clave, it took me a moment to realize clave as in enclave; not as in the claves. Not sure how to digest the names of the aspects of their culture. Although now I want to see their symbol is a pair of claves and every time they reference their name, someone in the background starts playing a samba beat.

One can dream.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
Re: Redemption & Malice -- spoilers
« Reply #1 on: 11 August 2020, 17:33:55 »
Finally got a chance to read this short story. I never got the original code to download it from the Kickstarter; however, thankfully they sent out a code for a mass download of products from the Catalyst Store in July. Overall, I think it was a good story. Maybe a bit generic, but only so much plot you can cram in. And it hearkened back to the old scavenger mentality of the original setting. I haven't been too crazy about the latest fiction coming out, but I did enjoy this one.

Obvious the most interesting part of it is the Clan Wolverine allusions throughout -- not just the last line. The hints to what they have become and what their goals may be are something I want to see prusued. I do wonder though if we will see more. The writers have been more open about information about the Wolverines in fiction for years now, but I do not know if this something that will lead to a big reveal or will just continue to operate in the background. For example, the Pulverizer write-up in TRO Golden Century.

I have to admit though, that the first time I read the words The Clave, it took me a moment to realize clave as in enclave; not as in the claves. Not sure how to digest the names of the aspects of their culture. Although now I want to see their symbol is a pair of claves and every time they reference their name, someone in the background starts playing a samba beat.

One can dream.

Enclave? I was thinking Conclave myself. But the ruleset in combat they followed seem to harken back to Clan Warfare in part while also deviating from it.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.