Author Topic: ’Mech of the Week: Thor II  (Read 23637 times)

Diablo48

• Major
Re: ’Mech of the Week: Thor II
« Reply #30 on: 23 January 2015, 22:15:51 »
IJJs are difficult with something this big, because it costs you 16 tons out of your 30.5 tons of podspace in order to mount.  That's a single 20, with some ammo.  And a small laser.

Agreed, but that does not mean you cannot have some fun with it and surprise the heck out of someone who is not expecting that out of a heavy 'Mech.  You can also cut back to seven iJJs like Colt Ward suggested to get a real laser or two in there while maintaining the ability to get a TMM more commonly associated with light 'Mechs.  I am personally leaning towards heavy lasers because it has tons of heat dissipation and very little free weight, but there are lots of options because the fundamental concept makes it a nice quirky unit that avoids stupid territory by virtue of unusual design choices.

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #31 on: 23 January 2015, 22:52:38 »
Speaking of that, we need Kit Fox II.
I like its concept, a light that can punch way above its weight.
What's the Falcons' current standard light mech?

Isn't it now the http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Eyrie as their standard light, a short range powerhouse.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 23 January 2015, 23:00:23 »
Speaking of that, we need Kit Fox II.
I like its concept, a light that can punch way above its weight.
What's the Falcons' current standard light mech?

The Cougar, which is pretty much the final statement in "Killing Power: Light 'Mech Edition".
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 23 January 2015, 23:09:11 »
I forgot the Cougar's still around. A good mech but... eh. Beats the Kit Fox in its game i guess.
And the Eyrie offers more speed than the Kit Fox for scouting purposes. A shame Eyrie has no arms, looks ugly, too ugly.

Ahem, shutting up about other mechs now.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #34 on: 23 January 2015, 23:11:46 »
Is the Cougar still around?  I thought I remembered reading somewhere that it has gone OOP.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 23 January 2015, 23:13:39 »
Is the Cougar still around?  I thought I remembered reading somewhere that it has gone OOP.

I'm not shutting up about other mechs after all... Perhaps it was OOP for the Homeworld Clans after the Wars of Reaving and not for the Inner Sphere Clans?

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 23 January 2015, 23:58:46 »
Or perhaps out of production doesn't mean gone? :P  It's still on the MUL for CJF (and oddly Wolf) in the Republic Era.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #37 on: 24 January 2015, 01:01:56 »
Wolf is easy, salvage . . . why do you think both Wolves have huge stocks of Linebacker spare parts?  Because Falcon Hellbringers are walking resupply points.

The Falcons were also building the Pinion and Spirit in the IS for garrison purposes, the Spirit is one nice secondline IMO.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 24 January 2015, 01:04:12 »
Wolf is easy, salvage . . . why do you think both Wolves have huge stocks of Linebacker spare parts?  Because Falcon Hellbringers are walking resupply points.

The Falcons were also building the Pinion and Spirit in the IS for garrison purposes, the Spirit is one nice secondline IMO.

The odd part is that the Falcons are exclusive users in the Jihad era.  It didn't seem like there was quite that much conflict between the end of the Jihad and the start of the Republic Era (~3100) between the Falcons and Wolves to result in the latter (and In-Exile) having meaningful numbers of Cougars.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #39 on: 24 January 2015, 01:08:41 »
Not sure how they would be exclusive users as it was Marthe's revamp project and she fought the Lyrans to Coventry with it, it probably defended against saKhan Hall's distracting romp during Op Bulldog, traded planets with the Crusader Wolves though usually coming out ahead, and finally Op Audacity where she plowed into the Lyrans again before getting countered by both Wolves and some Lyran forces.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #40 on: 24 January 2015, 02:22:16 »
The D is a good idea, but it is significantly oversinked with no possible way to generate heat in normal operation so it could have been significantly improved by pulling seven DHS to make room for a major expansion of its short range arsenal (that or more DHS and long range guns).
This is one I will have to argue with. While I usually prefer bracket firing designs, I think this mech is just fine heat wise. It is a jumping alpha baby, with no minimum ranges. Sure at longer ranges, the heat sinks for the ERmeds are wasted, but the mech is fast enough that it should be able to bring them into range fairly quickly. Overall this is more of a high tempo, in your face design. I think the heat capacity is just fine.
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #41 on: 24 January 2015, 02:55:44 »
Yeah, its about medium range for the ERLLs being the same as long for the ERMLs.
Colt Ward

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #42 on: 24 January 2015, 02:57:06 »
I belive the Cougar is still in production with the Falcons as they pushed the winged Cougar XR into production as well.  And in all honesty why would they want to remove the Cougar from service, its a lethal machine, save the Tiburon and Hellion probably one of the Clans best lights.
« Last Edit: 24 January 2015, 03:05:18 by marauder648 »
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #43 on: 24 January 2015, 09:00:49 »
The TRO3145 NTNU section said that the Cougar had been restored to production.

The biggest perk of the Thor II over its predecessor is the podded jump jets. This allows it a bit more flexibility to either go for no-jet configs or IJJ ones. It's a lot more flexibility then the original offered, especially in this age of expanded options.

Interestingly enough, the original Thor may still be in production. It was built by Olivetti on Sudeten, while the Thor II is built by Eagle Craft Grup on Erewhon. True, the Thor may have been discontinued and its lines repurposed for other designs, but the two are not exclusive
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #44 on: 24 January 2015, 09:35:07 »
Sounds like a great discussion for another article.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #45 on: 24 January 2015, 17:23:00 »
This is one I will have to argue with. While I usually prefer bracket firing designs, I think this mech is just fine heat wise. It is a jumping alpha baby, with no minimum ranges. Sure at longer ranges, the heat sinks for the ERmeds are wasted, but the mech is fast enough that it should be able to bring them into range fairly quickly. Overall this is more of a high tempo, in your face design. I think the heat capacity is just fine.

Yeah, its about medium range for the ERLLs being the same as long for the ERMLs.

The thing is, you can get that same firepower with other weapons easily enough and still have room for more.  Three ERMLs would match the damage output (although the accuracy and cluster size is not as good) and leave you another four tons to play with after pulling the DHS, or you could go with two ERMLs and two SSRM 4's with a ton of ammo for significantly more firepower and greatly improved critseeking.  The heat can start to get problematic if the streaks lock a lot while jumping, but you can fix that easily enough by dropping a laser while still putting out more damage than the canon configuration.

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #46 on: 24 January 2015, 17:27:19 »
Not saying it is not a problem, it just has some interesting range options . . . its also a pretty straight conversion of the old Summoner D, minus MGs.
Colt Ward

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #47 on: 26 January 2015, 12:56:59 »
Cougars always exist... Just go to any clanner bar.
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #48 on: 31 January 2015, 19:24:41 »
the Thor II just looks like a more symmetrical Thor, which leads me to think some of the common parts in the older 'mech aren't shared by the 'mechs the falcons are producing in the IS right now. or Aiden really DID break every Thor in their possession and they couldn't find a single surviving right shoulder in the mess!

i don't like the II as much, but that's mainly because i dislike pod-mount jumpjets, which is really it's own thread and something i've harped on before.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #49 on: 09 February 2015, 03:59:06 »
I have really grown to like the Summoner over time.  The Thor II looks like a good machine.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #50 on: 09 February 2015, 09:30:17 »
Has anyone used the Grand Summoner/Thor II in combat before?  It looks good on paper.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #51 on: 09 February 2015, 22:12:06 »
Has anyone used the Grand Summoner/Thor II in combat before?  It looks good on paper.

Yeah works like an improved Summoner.  I shall hear by refer to it as the iSummoner.

To the patient go the spoils

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #52 on: 10 February 2015, 19:44:23 »
I've had a lot of luck with the Thor II in 3145 era Megamek games, the D config especially. I have one Falcon pilot who has nicknamed his ER LLs the "Wo
fslayer sniper rifles" due to terrifying accuracy and headshots
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 16 February 2015, 15:10:21 »
Does anyone else get a Timber Wolf with less armor vibe from this re-design?

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #54 on: 16 February 2015, 15:31:30 »
Yeah works like an improved Summoner.  I shall hear by refer to it as the iSummoner.

Thor II: Thor Harder
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #55 on: 16 February 2015, 15:56:25 »

Since it runs the Mac3100 operating system how is it compatible with Windows OS pods?  Sort of defeats the Omni purpose.
Colt Ward

WarGod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #56 on: 05 March 2015, 17:33:51 »
its supposed to be 3145, why not ATM version of the missile boat?  you have enough payload space to have so MUCH fun with it.
A knight in shining armor is a man who has never had his metal truly tested
You're falling through the air in a Grenadier. Style went out the window long before you did.

O5P_Ghost

• Warrant Officer
  • DR? NSR? Doesn't matter, I'm the one with the HMG!
« Reply #57 on: 07 March 2015, 16:13:03 »
Cougars always exist... Just go to any clanner bar.

The problem with Clan Cougars is they're 25-29 and don't fit the bracket right....
User formally known as Snowfire
"Because the Draconis Combine is the greatest, strongest nation-state the universe has ever seen, and it is the destiny of House Kurita to rule over all of humanity. The people of the Federated Suns can accept this or be made to accept it." MapCapellan

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #58 on: 25 March 2020, 21:57:44 »
Can someone who owns Record Sheets:3145 tell me if it has the Thor II E in it or not?

I know that we got the config in TRO:3150 and not in TRO3145:The Clans, but I just realized that I don't have the record sheet and I'm not actually sure if it exists or not.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #59 on: 26 March 2020, 01:20:55 »
Can someone who owns Record Sheets:3145 tell me if it has the Thor II E in it or not?

I know that we got the config in TRO:3150 and not in TRO3145:The Clans, but I just realized that I don't have the record sheet and I'm not actually sure if it exists or not.

It does not.  The Thor II E comes directly from Iron Wind Metals when they released a sculpt for it.  It's available from their downloads section.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679