Author Topic: BattleArmor Helmet redesign  (Read 5833 times)

SpiralFace

• Corporal
BattleArmor Helmet redesign
« on: 27 January 2011, 03:06:15 »
Hey all,

Wanted to do some painting with a Cintiq I bought for work during the downtime.  I want to eventually get around to doing a 3d model of the full body, but for now this quick head redesign is what I've got, as I really wanted it to stand out once I got around to everything else.

Figured the fine fans of BT would like it.

Diplominator

• Lieutenant
  • Tactful Tactician
Re: BattleArmor Helmet redesign
« Reply #1 on: 27 January 2011, 04:07:56 »
Goodness. That is a thing of beauty. From a Cavalier, I take it?

durant

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 27 January 2011, 09:22:55 »
excellent and wonderfull ! this helmet is pefect for a cavalier !
"je ne suis point venus dans un désert pour me rendre" général Marie-Pierre Koenig

SpiralFace

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 27 January 2011, 11:01:53 »
yep Cavalier.  1st Robinson Rangers.

I'll get around to the body eventually, but I got other artistic itches to scratch before coming back to it.   If I do another BT inspired Piece though I'll be sure to post.

ShockaTime

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 27 January 2011, 13:13:18 »
that's some awesome art right there! I really like the idea of doing the helmets of the BAs and I definitely encourage you to do more O0

Spirit Never Dies - Second Spirit Chasseurs - Clan Blood Spirit
Raven Alliance

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #5 on: 27 January 2011, 14:03:47 »
Nice and I am sure that helmet will provide a devastating head butt as well.

Iron Wolf

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 27 January 2011, 14:10:55 »
That's ten different kinds of awesome!

Blackjack Jones

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 27 January 2011, 18:14:41 »
Very nice. Good to see that level of detail on something that usually doesn't get fleshed out that much.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #8 on: 27 January 2011, 20:40:19 »
Nicely done!
The worn detail makes it that much better.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Falchion

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 27 January 2011, 21:11:35 »
The values could be cranked up a touch more, but I rather like it. Nice job!
The one, the only, the unnecessary Falchion!

boilerman

• Lieutenant
  • Spinning wrenches since 1968.
« Reply #10 on: 28 January 2011, 02:16:15 »
Beautiful piece of work! 
Avatar by Wombat. Thanks Wombat!

verybad

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 28 January 2011, 05:02:07 »
Looks pretty cool. The space above the eyes looks too compressed to fit a human head properly however. The Large fan above the helmet looks like it would weigh quite a bit and be potentially dangerous in a hard moving mech (eg an Atlas just pushed you through a building, the extra weight on your head isn't helping your neck). It looks like a dress helmet rather than a work helmet, so some of the wear and tear would not be there.

Base idea is very cool though, would like to see you push it further. The drawing itself is very nice.

How are you liking the Cintiq?
Let Miley lick the hammers!

SpiralFace

• Corporal
« Reply #12 on: 28 January 2011, 14:31:28 »
Eh, I beg to differ,  Its a battle armor helmet, so the eyes had to be a bit bigger so the wearer wouldn't get tunnel vision looking through the optics, and they still sit comfortably at the 50% marker on the head which is where you would normally find your eyes.

The head would still fit in, as their are two segments to the armor, the "skull" circular part, which would probably just be armor over the cap of the head, and the "headband" which would probably have more protection in addition to more components to raise or remove the faceplate.

The top fin isn't too much of a departure from the original source either.  The plog image of the original cavileer from the back has the fin stick out nearly double the size of the head at its highest point.  All I really did was change it to have a single 90 Degree sweep from its highest point, so it never really tapers down in the front like the original.

As to the weight, I always saw that as more of an antenna suite for communications equipment like the fluff for the centurion.  It doesn't have to be a solid stick of metal, especially for non-vital equipment, but a lightweight aluminum composite, or other types of lightweight composite metals for anything that isn't covering parts of the body. 

As to the Cintiq, I love it.  I work in the CG industry, so I use it every day to justify the purchase, (As its a bit expensive for a hobbiest.)  Defiantly worth it if your using it every day like I am.  If you aren't, then I would say you can probably stick to a standard Wacom tablet and get the same results.  It just makes working quicker and more intuitive, which is a huge plus when your on the clock with deadlines always coming.

verybad

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 28 January 2011, 18:28:53 »
Perhaps an image will help describe what I'm saying better.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Please note, I'm offering you criticizing because I think it shows a lot of potential to be really good.  I wouldn't make the effort if I didn't think it was worth it.

The head I layed over the helmet shows the ratio issues, the lower jaw and neck are un covered, making the helmet kind of pointless. I would reccomend using a low poly human model inside the body armor if you're planning on doing a full body armor model.

So essentially I think the helmet is just a bit too squat. If there is an additional piece to be added that covers the neck but still allows flexibility, this might be ok.

Edit:
PS, you can't copyright something that you didn't do the original design. It's kind of silly to have that info in your work.  Topps own's the copyright to anything released ever for Battletech.
« Last Edit: 28 January 2011, 18:39:02 by verybad »
Let Miley lick the hammers!

SpiralFace

• Corporal
« Reply #14 on: 29 January 2011, 02:00:40 »
 #P bwa, thanks for letting me know about that copyright, That is defiantly not supposed to go there. (Nither is that "Z" at the end of my name. #P)  I've been updating my site with a ton of stuff and must have overlooked that in my haste, seeing as how most of the legal stuff is on a single layer I just copy paste and edit from other comps.  I guess I should be thankful that I didn't put one of the templates that said it was copy written to my former employers...  That issue should be fixed now.

The head on the overlay is a bit too form fitted to the head for the example.  I know that battletech armor is the kind of "magic" armor as far as how thin it would be on the designs, but I didn't want that to go too far into the design for the battle armor.

Since I'll eventually be taking this into 3D, a ton of thought had to go into this regarding the form and function of it for when I eventually try to make it in 3D.

Think of the crown of the helmet as the cap for what amounts to a standard combat helmet, with added armor of the "Headband" built around it.

Here is an example of a combat helm.

Its not going to be one to one comparison, but its a better representation for how the head would fit in the helmet compared to the overlay you have.

The next bit of reference is the "breathing" apparatus that was on the original caviler head.  For that something like this was used for the general layout.

That with some armor placed on top of It gave me the general sense of proportions for everything else.  The eyes where drawn out to get the visual image more then anything else, but functionally, It will probably rest off the users head and eyes like a standard army optics set.  Just with wide angle display and lenses to cutback on the tunnel vision you usually would get with the kind of optics we are used to these days. 

So yeah, all of this in the end makes the head squat compared to what a "standard" head would be, but its on par with what you would probably get when you have 2-4 inches of armor, insulation, and equipment strapped to the top and sides of your head.

It will probably thin out a bit when I bring it up to a 3d model, the purpose of the concept art is just to get a feel for it before I spend hours trying to reconstruct it.  The squat head thing doesn't really bother me so much given how much bulk combat armor would add to your frame to begin with.

Also, the perspective of the head you overlayed onto the illustration is different.  the image has an almost orthographic, slightly tilted down perspective, where your overlay is pretty much 3 quarters right at eye level, so there is going to be a bit more discrepancy from that as well.
« Last Edit: 29 January 2011, 02:05:49 by SpiralFace »

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 14 February 2011, 10:51:15 »
 Love it, just love it.  [rockon]
Made by HikageMaru

OverKill

• Lieutenant
  • Marauder MAD-3D "Guan-Yu"
« Reply #16 on: 23 February 2011, 01:24:04 »
All kinds of awesome! Reminds me of a Spartan/Roman helmet! Love that period stuff!  [rockon]
Colonel Mason Grimm
Grimm Reaper Company (Grimm's Reapers)
Piloting: Marauder MAD-3D - Guan-Yu
We are the things you see out of the corner of your eye!

bsmart

• Private
« Reply #17 on: 01 March 2011, 16:40:20 »
Perhaps an image will help describe what I'm saying better.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Please note, I'm offering you criticizing because I think it shows a lot of potential to be really good.  I wouldn't make the effort if I didn't think it was worth it.

The head I layed over the helmet shows the ratio issues, the lower jaw and neck are un covered, making the helmet kind of pointless. I would reccomend using a low poly human model inside the body armor if you're planning on doing a full body armor model.

So essentially I think the helmet is just a bit too squat. If there is an additional piece to be added that covers the neck but still allows flexibility, this might be ok.

Edit:
PS, you can't copyright something that you didn't do the original design. It's kind of silly to have that info in your work.  Topps own's the copyright to anything released ever for Battletech.
That's a battlearmor helmet, not a mechwarrior helmet. He'd presumably have the armor's servos supporting the helmet and it'll be quite a bit bigger than a traditional helmet as far as getting someone's skull in there.

Register