Author Topic: Aviation Pictures: A-Seven-th Thread--CorsAirin' Through Time and Airspace  (Read 33761 times)

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
Because I rarely start thread, I took this one by the nose.

Behold, the mighty, LTV A-7 Corsair II...

More great images here:

http://axis-and-allies-paintworks.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?15846
« Last Edit: 02 September 2023, 19:16:52 by Failure16 »
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
The start of the aircraft carrying the Corsair name was this stately gem:

Things sure did change, did they not?

More info here
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
--A. Duritz

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
The SLUF is such a cute little aircraft, I love it so.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
I love the Corsair- both models!
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

DOC_Agren

• Major
tagging in
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
I have to admit, I always feel a bit nervous seeing an aircraft with a big air intake in that position.  Always looks like it's perfectly located for eating ground crew.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
--A. Duritz

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
As I recall, that guy survived.  Others have been not so fortunate.

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
A-7 Tanking up an F-8:

Navy F-8s typically only flew air-to-air missions with clean wings and fuselage Sidewinders

The USMC supposedly employed them much more in strike missions and I wonder how much influence that had on the A-7

Prototype F-8 in formation with an F7U Cutlass

French navy F-8 in their spiffy blue-grey colours.
« Last Edit: 04 September 2023, 01:33:24 by chanman »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
The tanking picture isn't coming through for me for some reason... ???

DOC_Agren

• Major
The tanking picture isn't coming through for me for some reason... ???
Try Here

and then here are 2 F18 (I think) topping off the tanks from a C130

« Last Edit: 03 September 2023, 15:50:27 by DOC_Agren »
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
The external link worked, thanks! :)

As for the other image, I only see a single vertical stabilizer, but a second COULD be behind it on all three fighter aircraft... ???

David CGB

• Lieutenant
nice
Federated Suns fan forever, Ghost Bear Fan since 1992, and as a Ghost Bear David Bekker star captain (in an Alt TL Loremaster)

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
The external link worked, thanks! :)

As for the other image, I only see a single vertical stabilizer, but a second COULD be behind it on all three fighter aircraft... ???

Those are Hornets. The second vertical stabilizer is obscured by the wing from that angle.

Also fixed the A-7 tanking up the F-8 link

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Yeah, you can tell they're Bugs from the LEX in front of the wing.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Working now, thanks Chanman! :)

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
Russia is covering its Tu-95 and Tu-160 bombers at Engles Air Base with car tires to protect them from drone attack.    :laugh:

I have spoken.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
So how effective is that?

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
I'm sure the Ukrainians will let us know soon enough... ;)

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
Wouldn't it be ultimately quicker to simply erect a tent over the damn things? Sure, you could kamikaze in on a tent, but I imagine the drones are likely point-engagement vice area-effect systems--and even a circus tent would be cheaper than an out-of-production heavy bomber. Just thinking covering strategic bombers in tires has to be time consuming, fraught with difficulties and potential for error, and just plain onerous for the ground crews that should arguably doing more important things.

But, as Daryk says, we should get some kind of hotwash about their efficacy sooner than later.
--A. Duritz

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
Given what I've heard in the last year and a half, Russia's military probably doesn't have any surplus tents they could use for that.

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
More tents than manpower, maybe...

And, pictures.

In Soviet Russia, Bear chooses which refueling drogue to tank from!

--A. Duritz

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
Wouldn't it be ultimately quicker to simply erect a tent over the damn things? Sure, you could kamikaze in on a tent, but I imagine the drones are likely point-engagement vice area-effect systems--and even a circus tent would be cheaper than an out-of-production heavy bomber. Just thinking covering strategic bombers in tires has to be time consuming, fraught with difficulties and potential for error, and just plain onerous for the ground crews that should arguably doing more important things.

But, as Daryk says, we should get some kind of hotwash about their efficacy sooner than later.
Tents wouldn't offer much protection. they'd provide visual concealment, but i'm fairly certain that the intent with the tires is armor. the light drones that have been used to strike at the bombers recently carry a payload little more than a couple grenades or a light mortar round. the drones being used have mostly been higher end small quad-copters you can buy on the open market, with some new fittings for carrying and dropping a payload. but their payload mass is pretty small. which means its mostly HE, and impact fused. so a thick layer of dense rubber like tired will help limit the damage the plane takes from the blast.. might even prevent the impact fuses from triggering, since if th bomb is dropped it has to be dropped from a very low altitude to ensure it hits, meaning it won't be moving very fast when it hits. and if the payload is rigged as a kamikazi drone, that layer of tires is going to make it hard to get a good strike on the skin of the aircraft, which is what is going to give you the best chance of destroying it.

that said, i'm sure that ukraine will just find a way to send a heavier weapon that bomber's way instead. they've been fairly creative about that.

phoenixalpha

• Warrant Officer
  • For God, Prince Davion & the Federated Suns
Surely from the placement of those tires and the accuracy of a drone, hitting the tail section or engine of those bombers is well within capabilities. Losing a tail or an engine would be as much of a mission kill as taking it out entirely.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
See also "cope cages" - when there's nothing you can do, do something, even if it means nothing
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
Unlike tires, at least cope cages aren't flammable.   
I have spoken.

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
Two-seat Northrops. F-5Bs, T-38s, F-5Fs. Interesting that there seems to be some variation in the nose profile. The F-5B dumps the guns and uses some of the space for the forward cockpit, in the way of early two-seat MiG-29UBs.

Canadian CF-116D's

T-38s - note the oval vs. D-shaped inlets

Other F-5Bs

F-5F Tiger IIs - longer nose with the guns

CF-116A Freedom Fighter gun bays

CF-116A Freedom Fighter aggressors

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
What could of been with the F-20 Tigershark.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
What could of been with the F-20 Tigershark.

At the end of the day, a tarted-up F-5 is still a tarted-up F-5. The F404 has better fuel specific fuel consumption, but that gets eaten up if the extra thrust is taken advantage of.

The F-20 gets a larger horizontal stabilizer, a larger LERX, and a new radar but the rest of the F-5's limitations are present - low fuel capacity/endurance, limited wing clearance for weapons loading, radar limited by the size of the antennae dictated by the nose dimensions, and 1960's aerodynamics. Some of which might have been mitigated by making more substantial changes, like the way the J-7E and later replaced the original MiG-21's delta wing with a cranked delta with better low-speed handling and way more internal-tankage volume.

Northrop's real step forward was the YF-17, and the Tigershark was a poor consolation prize after McDonnell Douglas took over the Hornet project.

The thing that's always puzzled me is the $1.2 billion USD pricetag attached to the project (back when that was actually a lot of money). It sure didn't seem to go into new engineering, so I wonder how much ended up as marketing/sales/lobbying spend and how much was maybe disguised spending from (literal) stealth projects like Tacit Blue, B-2, and YF-23.

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
Tents wouldn't offer much protection. they'd provide visual concealment, but i'm fairly certain that the intent with the tires is armor. the light drones that have been used to strike at the bombers recently carry a payload little more than a couple grenades or a light mortar round. the drones being used have mostly been higher end small quad-copters you can buy on the open market, with some new fittings for carrying and dropping a payload. but their payload mass is pretty small. which means its mostly HE, and impact fused. so a thick layer of dense rubber like tired will help limit the damage the plane takes from the blast.. might even prevent the impact fuses from triggering, since if th bomb is dropped it has to be dropped from a very low altitude to ensure it hits, meaning it won't be moving very fast when it hits. and if the payload is rigged as a kamikazi drone, that layer of tires is going to make it hard to get a good strike on the skin of the aircraft, which is what is going to give you the best chance of destroying it.

that said, i'm sure that ukraine will just find a way to send a heavier weapon that bomber's way instead. they've been fairly creative about that.

Three things:

A tent would indeed offer only concealment, which, if the payload is indeed small enough, will prevent a direct and meaningful point-strike providing an infinitely better defense.

Grenades and light mortar rounds--very close to the same thing in their final effects--are not world-destroying weapons like movies would have the public believe. But they are also damaging enough that a covering of rubber measured in inches or millimeters will provide scant protection. If the tires are armor, I'd rather have sandbags. Grenades are generally lethal within five meters or so and the skin of an aircraft isn't much better than the skin of a human when it comes right down to it.

The tires only cover the upper wings and portions of the fuselage. There are plenty of areas that remain uncovered that would still lead to the airframe being damaged enough that it would be non-mission-capable in the event of a successful strike. A strike where the drone bodily impacts the target is probably unlikely to come in at a terminal, vertical dive so recreating a Michelin tire sale on a bomber's wings and central dorsal fuselage does nothing to protect every other aspect of the resulting target profile.

Naw. I still contend that putting the aircraft in revetments with a cover to prevent direct observation would be more efficacious than putting hundreds of tires on part of the plane. Or, you know, investing in some low-tech IADS for your airfields. That might work better, too.
--A. Duritz