Author Topic: Upcoming Releases Volume XV: Pitter Patter Let's Get At'er  (Read 151276 times)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
Re: Upcoming Releases Volume XV: Pitter Patter Let's Get At'er
« Reply #360 on: 07 January 2020, 17:17:04 »
taken from the coming releases page. unsure if the text has always read like this, but the last line caught my eye this time:

Core Book Reprints
Release Date: New print editions and PDFs of Total Warfare and TechManual are available now.

A two-volume reprint of Tactical Operations will be available in PDF soon and in print later this year; PDF sales of the previous Tactical Operations volume have been suspended pending this thoroughly revised PDF release.

Plans for reprinted material from Strategic Operations and other core BattleTech books are underway.

hmm. "reprinted material from" makes me think significant cuts, crops, or revisions. Ray had mentioned in the destiny thread that a potential future AToW could mean revisions to the system as well as information from AToW companion so a more substantial shakeup of SO / IO / CO might also be possible

« Last Edit: 07 January 2020, 17:56:17 by Sartris »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #361 on: 07 January 2020, 17:25:55 »
Well, at least they told the people currently looking for a copy of TacOps why they can't get one...

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #362 on: 07 January 2020, 21:24:45 »
taken from the coming releases page. unsure if the text has always read like this, but the last line caught my eye this time:

hmm. "reprinted material from" makes me think significant cuts, crops, or revisions. Ray had mentioned in the destiny thread that a potential future AToW could mean revisions to the system as well as information from AToW companion so a more substantial shakeup of SO / IO / CO might also be possible

I can understand SO needing revision: since Quick-Strike got spun off into Alpha Strike, that's a pretty sizable chunk of the book that is now redundant...

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #363 on: 07 January 2020, 21:33:00 »
That only looks like about 10 pages out of more than 400...  ???

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #364 on: 07 January 2020, 21:40:03 »
the question is what (if any) future plans they have for BattleForce.

SO's breakdown is basically

BattleSpace 2, Big ship construction rules (14-161)
Maintenance, Repair, Salvage, and Customization (166-199)
BattleForce (212-381)
Miniature Rules (including quickstrike) (386-409)
« Last Edit: 07 January 2020, 21:41:46 by Sartris »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #365 on: 07 January 2020, 22:12:31 »
IO has Strategic Battleforce, so they were still thinking about that at some point.
Honestly, all of the Operations books are kinda a hodgepodge mess of where do I find the rule for X?
It's probably too much to ask to reorganize them into: Campaign/multiple scenario play book, Less granular forces for larger armies book, and equipment and construction book.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #366 on: 07 January 2020, 22:45:21 »
About all BattleForce and strategic BattleForce share is a name. BattleForce shares a lot of territory with AS so updating becomes a redundancy (there’s also a question of how much official support or even how many people even use the rules)

A consolidation is probably in order (I’ve suggested similar in the past)- I think the mishmash nature of the current rules is a product of the years-long rollout. Unsure how much of that is going to happen before the successor line to TW comes along

If the mission of the reprints is to cut down page counts like the TO split, amputating the BF rules from SO would go a long way in reaching that goal

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #367 on: 08 January 2020, 01:26:54 »
I haven't given it a thorough reading as of late, but I could have swore it was pretty much the same but each piece was a company or more.

Anyway, my ultimate hope is the restructuring of TO and other rulebooks is just a temporary stopgap, and they reorganize along unit type.
So BMM gets a tech manual sorta book that has rules and equipment for JUST mechs, but includes some of the advanced gear from TO (much like how there's some TO rules in BMM.  Then they can have a combined arms book for vehicles and infantry (I figure it'd be better to combine them than trying to sell tanks and troops separately), as well as a construction book for those that contains equipment not found on mechs (to avoid duplication these would probably want to refer back to the mech books for shared stuff).  Alongside that a pair of aerospace books (though, I admit, that sounds more like a print on demand product than a sold in stores one.  I never got the impression battlespace was in any way popular).  The real question there then becomes where does the IO equipment go  it seems like it would bloat the construction books a bit too much, but if they just did a TO equipment book again we'd still be in this same situation where gears split between 3 different volumes for everything except mechs.

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #368 on: 08 January 2020, 09:14:13 »

It's one of the lines I added to the page when making a change. I don't have specifics, but that's my sense of things - that the books would not be straight-up reprinted with new covers.

Well, at least they told the people currently looking for a copy of TacOps why they can't get one...

I answered those people directly here, too--this isn't some information we're trying to slide past anyone.

Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #369 on: 08 January 2020, 09:24:51 »
I haven't given it a thorough reading as of late, but I could have swore it was pretty much the same but each piece was a company or more.

Anyway, my ultimate hope is the restructuring of TO and other rulebooks is just a temporary stopgap, and they reorganize along unit type.
So BMM gets a tech manual sorta book that has rules and equipment for JUST mechs, but includes some of the advanced gear from TO (much like how there's some TO rules in BMM.  Then they can have a combined arms book for vehicles and infantry (I figure it'd be better to combine them than trying to sell tanks and troops separately), as well as a construction book for those that contains equipment not found on mechs (to avoid duplication these would probably want to refer back to the mech books for shared stuff).  Alongside that a pair of aerospace books (though, I admit, that sounds more like a print on demand product than a sold in stores one.  I never got the impression battlespace was in any way popular).  The real question there then becomes where does the IO equipment go  it seems like it would bloat the construction books a bit too much, but if they just did a TO equipment book again we'd still be in this same situation where gears split between 3 different volumes for everything except mechs.

i figure a revision of TW along the lines of BMM is in their strategic pipeline, but who knows how long that is down the road. Whatever it looks like, it probably won't contain any dramatic changes for mechs unless it comes YEARS after the clan box. 

the delay on IO until 2015 probably meant a longer lifespan than they were counting on - this will be the 14th year TW has been in force as the core rules. If you overlay that with the original core rules releases, that's the same distance between the BattleTech Manual in '87 and BMRr in '01 (aka every other core rules ever released).

Assuming they do what they've always done, 3150 former-advanced/experimental-now-standard equipment will go in TW2/TM2 (much like BMM has done already). the exodus from TO leaves plenty of room for the IO catchall stuff like tripods and superheavies. I assume the AeroTech 3 parts of SO will survive in one form or another somewhere as it has enough universe precedent to not go away

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #370 on: 08 January 2020, 10:41:22 »
IS there going to be anything ready for Adepticon in late march???
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #371 on: 08 January 2020, 14:00:07 »
IS there going to be anything ready for Adepticon in late march???
You mean new, physical product for sale at Adepticon? It’s possible but not likely.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #372 on: 08 January 2020, 15:17:47 »
I could see the Game books being separated into Tournament Legal and Advanced Rules. If some things have changed they get moved into the applicable book. I would also include things from AToW and it's Companion as some things don't have TW rules.

I can also see the Construction Books being separated into 4 books. One for equipment and three for construction. I'd also reorganize them so that everything is together instead of spread out. That way information is easier to find.

For the equipment books I'd include all the equipment from every book, even the equipment that wasn't included in IO.  For the construction books, the first would be for Tournament Level Ground Units from TM, TO, IO and AToW+C. The second book would be for Advanced Level Ground Units, from TO, IO, and AToW+C. The third Construction Book would contain all the Aerospace Units from TM, TO, SO, IO.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #373 on: 10 January 2020, 20:05:31 »
Any possible word on when the next Touring the Stars might drop?

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #374 on: 11 January 2020, 14:14:25 »
Any possible word on when the next Touring the Stars might drop?

I’m editing the two previously announced volumes (Gulf Breeze, Rigil Kentares) this weekend and early next week. Shooting for February.

Dmon

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #375 on: 11 January 2020, 14:45:36 »
I’m editing the two previously announced volumes (Gulf Breeze, Rigil Kentares) this weekend and early next week. Shooting for February.

That is good to hear. As happy and excited about the Kickstarter I am a little annoyed that is derailed everything else it seems.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #376 on: 11 January 2020, 14:57:47 »

Sweet!

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #377 on: 11 January 2020, 15:00:48 »

Great news
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #378 on: 11 January 2020, 23:13:24 »
+1 more for the TTS news!  Thanks Cubby!  :thumbsup:

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #379 on: 11 January 2020, 23:31:05 »
Fantastic news, thanks for your hard work Cubby and friends!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Orwell84

• Lieutenant
« Reply #380 on: 12 January 2020, 00:29:55 »
Great news, thanks to you Cubby and your colleagues for all of your hard work  :thumbsup:
All Clan totems are equal but some are more equal than others.

"The Succession Wars solved no problem. Their effects, both immediate and indirect, were either negative or disastrous. Morally subversive, economically destructive, socially degrading, confused in their causes, devious in their course, futile in their results, they are the outstanding example in Spheroid history of meaningless conflict."
The Third Star League's view of the Succession Wars, plagiarised from an ancient Terran historian's judgement of the Thirty Years War.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #381 on: 12 January 2020, 01:33:31 »
Excellent news! New product always welcome.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #382 on: 12 January 2020, 04:52:21 »
Excellent news! New product always welcome.

Always good to see new product.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #383 on: 12 January 2020, 09:36:22 »
Team effort, not just me. Ray and I had a good call this week with Knightmare, the mini-PDF dev, about the next wave of those products for this year. And Ray's got a pretty ambitious list of ideas for non-KS products in the next year or 18 months.

That is good to hear. As happy and excited about the Kickstarter I am a little annoyed that is derailed everything else it seems.

I wouldn't frame it that way--remember that the bulk of products for the KS are going to hit retail as well, eventually.

IMO, the line desperately needed new miniatures and that would/should have been a priority no matter what. The KS backers are getting them first because they funded their existence. But it's not one or the other, it's one then the other. I think that distinction matters.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #384 on: 12 January 2020, 15:57:56 »
Hopefully minis on shelves increases the visibility and appeal of the game and increased sales gives Catalyst more income to work with in expanding other areas.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #385 on: 12 January 2020, 18:47:54 »
Hopefully minis on shelves increases the visibility and appeal of the game and increased sales gives Catalyst more income to work with in expanding other areas.

Believe this is the end goal we all want to see.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #386 on: 12 January 2020, 22:38:06 »
Provided stores pick up on the new stuff and stop saying BT is dead.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #387 on: 12 January 2020, 23:12:03 »
provided the large number of KS items make it to retail in sufficient number (neither a given), the long list from the distributor's catalog should prove that assertion indefensible

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #388 on: 15 January 2020, 14:35:48 »
Provided stores pick up on the new stuff and stop saying BT is dead.

I don't think Lion Rampant and Picard will EVER agree on how many lights they see on that one.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #389 on: 15 January 2020, 15:49:20 »
I know lion rampent - who's picard?

universal distribution is the most common one in my area, and they're pretty good, except for getting barely any map-pack