Author Topic: Upcoming Releases Volume XV: Pitter Patter Let's Get At'er  (Read 151206 times)

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
Re: Upcoming Releases Volume XV: Pitter Patter Let's Get At'er
« Reply #900 on: 13 April 2020, 09:50:22 »
Fixed that for you, Adrian! (What with the virus and all. ;))

No, you'll start hearing about them later this month and into next.
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #901 on: 13 April 2020, 09:58:34 »
all things are possible with the power of Soon™

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #902 on: 13 April 2020, 15:50:35 »
Caveats matter, even when they're subtle...  ^-^

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #903 on: 13 April 2020, 23:42:59 »
Trebuchet needs the head to protrude a little, not be smashed into the torso.

The Zeus' hips are so unnecessarily wide that the arms have to be canted out to swing past them. Looks terrible with the lines of the shoulders.

Not a fan of the cylindrical searchlight on top of the Longbow... it just doesn't look right.

I guess everyone but me hated the original Stalker's knees. They got rid of the scoops on the arms and went with weapons bay doors, except that only worked on the MWO design with missiles under the lasers. I do like that the main torso appears to be the same width all the way back, and not tapered so the arms skew out.

I totally agree on the Trebuchet's head. It needs to be mounted on a neck to capture the bucket-head look of the original, although its absence might be an artifact of the camera angle.

I'm on board with new knee joints for the stalker, but the new large laser mounts seem a bit over the top to me. I always liked the more understated armaments of the original.

For the longbow... I like the re-imagined torso and arms a lot. Easily enough to overlook the big searchlight.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #904 on: 14 April 2020, 13:56:21 »
I see Brent let my Spotlight On fly under the radar. Guess I should have expected it....
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #905 on: 14 April 2020, 17:47:19 »
Did you actually turn the Spotlight On?
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #906 on: 14 April 2020, 18:20:16 »
That's a perfect question for Kit...  ^-^

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #907 on: 14 April 2020, 18:52:35 »
Maybe he turned on the heart light instead.

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #908 on: 15 April 2020, 20:12:41 »
Coming Soon to Print-on-Demand: The Wars of Reaving, BattleTech Activity Book

Big news, MechWarriors!

This Friday, we’re excited to offer The Wars of Reaving in Print-on-Demand format — the first out-of-print sourcebook among many we’re planning to offer again via POD. In addition, the BattleTech Activity Book will be available in Print-on-Demand the same day, and Touring the Stars: Gulf Breeze drops on PDF. You’ll see links to all three products here, and on the official BattleTech and Catalyst Game Labs social media.

Read the full story here.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #909 on: 15 April 2020, 20:16:42 »
🤔
Guess the HW Clans are not as "put on a bus" as thought...

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #910 on: 15 April 2020, 20:20:12 »
That’s…I can see how you’re getting that, but that’s not the right takeaway.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #911 on: 15 April 2020, 20:26:24 »
PoD sourcebook, baby. we made it  :'(

i'm hoping this is a strategic selection with something new as a followup

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #912 on: 15 April 2020, 20:27:58 »
That’s…I can see how you’re getting that, but that’s not the right takeaway.
Hmm.
Given what happens in WoR and how it ends, i kinda have hard time seeing anything future not involving HW Clans return, in the sense of "we'll be seeing them, not necessarily meaning they'll be coming to the Inner Sphere".
Just WoR tech (iATMs, etc.) appearing seems to small, even that implied superarmor on the Leviathan Prime.
Though i suppose there's always a chance of Spheroid Clans deciding to re-enact Wars of Reaving. Though this seems unlikely.
What else i can think of...
We finally getting Operational Milestones or whatever it was gonna be called and get told HW Clans or the Society is behind the Blackout?

Just guessing stuff here, not really expecting answers until we see whatever products you are so evilly teasing, lol

Either way, WoR as POD product is good to hear. It is good.

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #913 on: 15 April 2020, 21:40:47 »
...the first out-of-print sourcebook among many we’re planning to offer again via POD.

:o

That is huge.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #914 on: 15 April 2020, 22:17:15 »
Anyone who doesn't have a print version of this seriously should get it it's a beautiful product
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Orwell84

• Lieutenant
« Reply #915 on: 15 April 2020, 22:26:52 »
Great news! I haven't bought DTF in over a decade but for WoR I'll break that streak and find a place for it on my now-emptier bookshelf.

Hmm.
Given what happens in WoR and how it ends, i kinda have hard time seeing anything future not involving HW Clans return, in the sense of "we'll be seeing them, not necessarily meaning they'll be coming to the Inner Sphere".

Much as I'd like for you to be right, I suspect we won't be seeing HW Clans for a long time yet, if ever. The bulk of the fan base, if I'm reading this right, aren't too fussed about finding out about them post-WoR (and a few players seem to think any ink/bytes spend on Clans are a waste of the writer's time).

We finally getting Operational Milestones or whatever it was gonna be called and get told HW Clans or the Society is behind the Blackout?

Maybe they did cause the Blackout (though I'd put money on Devlin Stone or Blakists) but that raises the question of why they didn't mount their invasion of the Inner Sphere right after. I figure it's more likely for the last sixty years they've been trading shots with the Imperio and Hanseatic League, or bogged down trying to subdue one or both.
All Clan totems are equal but some are more equal than others.

"The Succession Wars solved no problem. Their effects, both immediate and indirect, were either negative or disastrous. Morally subversive, economically destructive, socially degrading, confused in their causes, devious in their course, futile in their results, they are the outstanding example in Spheroid history of meaningless conflict."
The Third Star League's view of the Succession Wars, plagiarised from an ancient Terran historian's judgement of the Thirty Years War.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #916 on: 16 April 2020, 00:57:32 »
You've also got to realize that the HomeClans basically think the IS has cooties last we saw them, don't think they're going to be paying a visit any time soon.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #917 on: 16 April 2020, 01:07:56 »
maybe there's some kind of ecological disaster after the reavings that make the homeworlds uninhabitable or something. wouldn't that be the perfect revenge by the society? first festering as a cancer within the clans and then as a rotting disease long after they've been exterminated.

that or they just hang out in the deepest peripheral vision of the game universe as a boogeyman

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #918 on: 16 April 2020, 01:10:07 »
(and a few players seem to think any ink/bytes spend on Clans are a waste of the writer's time).

Others seem to think anything after 3040 is the same
Others want all 3150 all the time
Still others look back at the clan invasion '90s as the golden age of battletech

Can't make everyone happy. Can't even get enough people buying to finish the combat manual series, which tried to be a medium between succession war and clan invasion. (Maybe you could now that BT has picked up, but CGL have higher priority product to work on)
« Last Edit: 16 April 2020, 02:46:28 by Greatclub »

Orwell84

• Lieutenant
« Reply #919 on: 16 April 2020, 02:15:26 »
that or they just hang out in the deepest peripheral vision of the game universe as a boogeyman

I hope not - Clan Wolverine / Minnesota Tribe has been filling that niche quite nicely since the 80s.

Others seem to think anything after 3040 is the same
Others want all 3150 all the time
Still others look back at the clan invasion '90s as the golden age of battletech

Can't make everyone happy. Can't even get enough people buying to finish the combat manual series (Maybe you could now that BT has picked up, but they have higher priority product to work on)

Sad but true. Gameplay-wise one might think there's catering for all of the above just with the product available from Catalyst's online store. It's only with advancing the post-Blackout storyline that one could argue in favour of the second option - BT history from c. 2570 to 3150 has been detailed quite nicely already.

"The Succession Wars solved no problem. Their effects, both immediate and indirect, were either negative or disastrous. Morally subversive, economically destructive, socially degrading, confused in their causes, devious in their course, futile in their results, they are the outstanding example in Spheroid history of meaningless conflict."
The Third Star League's view of the Succession Wars, plagiarised from an ancient Terran historian's judgement of the Thirty Years War.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #920 on: 16 April 2020, 02:18:51 »
This Friday, we’re excited to offer The Wars of Reaving in Print-on-Demand format — the first out-of-print sourcebook among many we’re planning to offer again via POD.
This is fantastic news! I mean, the writing has been on the wall for some time, but now it's actually happening. This will rid CGL of a great many problems going forward, I imagine - money will no longer be tied up in small print runs, hopefully lowering the revenue hurdles for new products being pushed out of the gate.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Sellsword

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #921 on: 16 April 2020, 04:13:13 »
Great decision on WoR. Prices for the original print run are absurd right now if you can even find a copy

hf22

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #922 on: 16 April 2020, 04:37:01 »
maybe there's some kind of ecological disaster after the reavings that make the homeworlds uninhabitable or something. wouldn't that be the perfect revenge by the society? first festering as a cancer within the clans and then as a rotting disease long after they've been exterminated.

One could imagine an ever narrowing genetic base from the reavings, making the Homeworld Clans susceptible to a civilization collapsing level Society designed virus, perhaps released from some abandoned research facility. Poetic justice as an ever madder clamour for purity robs the Clans of the very resources they needed to survive.

It would be a pretty neat way to tie up the entire story line one suspects (and as a side bonus eliminate the temptation to do the Clan Invasion 2: The Electric Boogaloo).

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #923 on: 16 April 2020, 06:09:53 »
I'm glad that some of War of Reaving Source book is coming back. Personally I own both versions of WoR  but if wor was updated or revised then I'd think twice about not getting it.  If there  something added to it than what was in it in the the first place.

Also i would hope the WoR Companion book be coming later or merged with this new reissuing.
« Last Edit: 16 April 2020, 06:23:47 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Orwell84

• Lieutenant
« Reply #924 on: 16 April 2020, 06:22:01 »
I'm glad that some of War o Reaving Source book is coming back. Personally I own both versions of WoR  but if wor was updated or revised then I'd think twice about not getting it.  If there  something added to it than what was in it in the the first place.

Also i would hope the WoR Companion book be coming later or merged with this new reissuing.

The WoR Supplemental was purely an epub when released, I don't think it's ever been a DTF.

True, it would be nice if the two were bundled together. The question is whether it can be done from a practical standpoint.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #925 on: 16 April 2020, 06:31:07 »
I wouldn't be opposed to books like the Era Digests and War of Reaving Supplemental just getting straight up POD releases. Don't know if I'd pay for the smaller or mostly Record sheet books like Turning Points and XTROs, but the slightly meatier ones?  Hell yeah.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #926 on: 16 April 2020, 08:18:28 »
This is fantastic news! I mean, the writing has been on the wall for some time, but now it's actually happening. This will rid CGL of a great many problems going forward, I imagine - money will no longer be tied up in small print runs, hopefully lowering the revenue hurdles for new products being pushed out of the gate.

To be clear - we're not going to do POD for all new sourcebooks from now on. POD is primarily intended for making out-of-print books available again, and collecting previously PDF-only product, such as Touring the Stars or Spotlight On.

There are a few reasons for this, but one of the big ones is shelf presence in stores. Our marketing funnel is nowhere near developed enough to be able to take a new customer from "my friends and I bought this box set in our LGS and loved it, where do I get more?" to "here's the one website where you can find the big new book." It's more than sticking a flyer in the box set; it requires a comprehensive, integrated marketing strategy, and we're not there.

For another, the economics of selling a new book via retail and the CGL webstore vs. selling it POD via DTRPG are different. One is more favorable than the other. So don't assume "everything will be POD now." It won't be.

Great decision on WoR. Prices for the original print run are absurd right now if you can even find a copy

They really are. Though, secondary market prices are not really a factor in our prioritizing which books to resurrect with POD. It's much more important that they compliment sales of new product, and vice versa.

As I said in my website post announcing this, Wars of Reaving is definitely a "sought-after" book (read as: north of $200 on Amazon and eBay), but think about its place in the timeline, too. We're in the middle of delivering a major KS based on the Clan Invasion. We're about to move into the ilClan era. There's a rather obvious gaping hole in the Clan story between those two points, no? "Man, I got back into BT with the KS, can't wait to buy more. I love the Clans, what happens to them next?" "Sorry, that book has been out of print for almost a decade." What a buzzkill for a new customer! With this POD resurrection ability now available, Wars was a no-brainer first choice.

The WoR Supplemental was purely an epub when released, I don't think it's ever been a DTF.

True, it would be nice if the two were bundled together. The question is whether it can be done from a practical standpoint.

I'm told that it was considered - not sure what the plans for it might be going forward. I suspect that simply stapling it onto the end of the main WOR book was too much of a hurdle from a layout/set-up standpoint, on top of what it took to get Wars ready to go anyway. We're aware of its absence, is the best I can say. Good part is that it's always been PDF-only, and is still available. Nothing's been lost, unlike a print book no longer being in print--just nothing gained.

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #927 on: 16 April 2020, 10:20:08 »
Question - are there any new variants in RS: clan invasion, or is it a pure re-hash?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #928 on: 16 April 2020, 10:24:39 »
rehash

Geont

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #929 on: 16 April 2020, 14:17:09 »

Should I assume that old House books or Field Manuals will be at some point available as PoD? Or is this not currently planned?
Born in Czechoslovakia and living in Czechia (or Czech Republic).

Fan of FWL