Author Topic: 'Mech Scale Under Barrel "Grenade" Launchers  (Read 2017 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
'Mech Scale Under Barrel "Grenade" Launchers
« on: 24 October 2021, 13:08:58 »
So, looking at "Handheld Weapons" from TacOps (single volume: bottom of page 314 for the construction rules; TO: AU&E: bottom of page 126), it seems a 'Mech Mortar/1, a half ton of ammo for 12 shots (even when Fractional Accounting is not otherwise in play), and a half ton of armor (8 points) to protect it is a thing.  The Inner Sphere version would be three tons total, while the clan version would be two (enabling Stingers to take advantage). BV for both appears to be 27 (10 for the weapon, 16 for the armor, 1 (rounded up) for the ammo)

A Commando could make use of an IS version with 5 points of armor (to keep Medium Lasers from breaking it) with 4 shots (BV 21?  Maybe 20...).  You could also argue that a Stinger that leaves half its MG ammo at home could use one...  ^-^

DevianID

• Captain
Re: 'Mech Scale Under Barrel "Grenade" Launchers
« Reply #1 on: 24 October 2021, 21:39:35 »
The idea being to bring some light mortar support?  I think a handheld with zero armor and 1 ton of ammo makes more sense, as your mortar teams taking fire ditch the mortar immediately for other weapons.  A Javelin, for example, equipped with a handheld mortar 1 would be pretty useful and would drop the mortar to use the torso mounted SRMs or medium lasers the moment something closed and started shooting at them.  No need for armor on the mortar as it is no longer a viable weapon.  Gives the 30 ton mechs some light long ranged anti-infantry support with either airburst or anti-infantry handheld mechmortar 1s.  I like the idea of a Javelin toting a shotgun looking mortar quite a bit!

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 25 October 2021, 00:37:44 »
When I first read the title of the thread I thought it was going to be more like a VGL. Using a Mech Mortar as a grenade launcher though sounds fun.  >:D :thumbsup:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #3 on: 25 October 2021, 03:30:53 »
A full ton of ammo is 24 shots... I was thinking that was a bit much.

And Air Burst is definitely the way to go...  ^-^

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 27 October 2021, 02:34:16 »
So you'd have the following rough designs for the Inner Sphere:

Mech Mortar/1 (2 tons) + 1 ton ammo (24 shots) = 3 tons
Mech Mortar/2 (5 tons) + 1 ton ammo (12 shots) = 6 tons
Mech Mortar/4 (7 tons) + 1 ton ammo (6 shots) = 8 tons
Mech Mortar/8 (10 tons) + 1 ton ammo (4 shots) = 11 tons (aka Superheavy only)

Clan-tech versions would be:
Mech Mortar/1 (1 ton) + 1 ton ammo (24 shots) = 2 tons (any Mech can use)
Mech Mortar/2 (2.5 tons) + 1 ton ammo (12 shots) = 3.5 tons
Mech Mortar/4 (3.5 tons) + 1 ton ammo (6 shots) = 4.5 tons
Mech Mortar/8 (5 tons) + 1 ton ammo (4 shots) = 6 tons

Of course with the image of Mechs carrying these I am getting a mental image of Arnold from Terminator 2, when he walks out of the Cyberdyne building with the tear gas grenade launcher and is firing shots at the police.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #5 on: 27 October 2021, 10:36:30 »

Of course with the image of Mechs carrying these I am getting a mental image of Arnold from Terminator 2, when he walks out of the Cyberdyne building with the tear gas grenade launcher and is firing shots at the police.
The Original Wolverine Mech's "autocannon" would have been a perfect fit for the image. Especially considering the gun in the art is very "short"
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 27 October 2021, 12:52:11 »
Interesting
any reason/requirement for the armor? 
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #7 on: 27 October 2021, 18:22:15 »
So it can survive a hit.  Handhelds can take damage...

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #8 on: 28 October 2021, 17:45:07 »
At very least it has to survive being hit by a splash damage once.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #9 on: 28 October 2021, 18:04:33 »
Bingo!  8)

Register