Author Topic: Design Challenge - Plasma ASF Superiority Concept  (Read 1289 times)

Annwn

• Corporal
Design Challenge - Plasma ASF Superiority Concept
« on: 27 August 2019, 02:14:01 »
Challenge Fluff - The Raven Alliance has recently had some overly clever ristars suggest a potential role for an aerospace superiority fighter with a focus on manipulating the opposing ASF's heat output.  To that end our scientists have obtained from some Diamond Shark merchants Plasma Rifles and Plasma Cannons for potential inclusion along with standard Flamers and Inferno munitions.  The theory is that many opposing fighters utilize heat-producing weaponry and that by manipulating the opponent's fighter to run hot, a sizable advantage may be obtained by ruining the enemy's heat curve.  Given the limited resources of the Alliance and the potential of facing some 1v1 encounters with honor-bound Kuritan forces (and Zellbrigen encounters/trials), a rugged survivable chassis is preferred versus the complete loss of airframes.  The fighter is intended to be capable in general aerospace fights as well when coupled with an identical wingman point (in the hands of our freeborn Alliance defense brethren or against honorless Inner Sphere scum).   The Sanguine Spirit prototype was created after much experimentation to attempt to meet those goals.

Discussion - I mainly was curious at the potential intersection of the Plasma Rifle being a semi-decent weapon even without its heat-producing capabilities.  Adding in the heat generation, I saw the potential to throw a wrench into opposing ASF encounters.  Think of it as meta-gaming ASF encounters by overly clever Raven pilots.  My first design is intended to fly as a pair with a wingman at least if the need arises to focus target a heavy fighter given it is likely a bit under-gunned for it's weight.  The tonnage of reflective armor and the Laser AMS should provide significant longevity, while the MLs provide extra damage if necessary - especially on opposing fighters when they have lost control or shut down due to an overly hot ride.  The primary weapon (the Plasma Rifle) provides decent damage while boosting the opponent's heat curve, while the MML (with the potential for half-ton inferno loads instead of full ton) can boost the heat curve closer to the max each turn (especially with the wingman).  The targeting computer is there to help ensure the somewhat underpowered rifle & lasers punch above their weight.  I debated over a Plasma Cannon instead of the MML, but felt like it was a worse choice since I don't see much AMS on most fighters and the ammo weighed significantly more for the cannon while being more variable in heat generation.  I'm not thrilled with the heat-gen of just a Plasma and MML-3 for 1v1 duels, I think a MML-5 or 2nd MML-3 might be a contender (I was also undecided on Artemis), but I'm unsure of the trade-offs.  It ended up a bit chunkier at 60 tons as well, but that's hardly the worst sin (I was aiming for 55 as I felt two speedier 55-tons working in tandem was better than some 95-100 monster). 

Thoughts?  I'm especially curious on optimizing the heat gen, general dmg, armor, maneuverability - it seems like a fine line to walk.  You have to 1) create an overheating situation/risk, 2) have enough regular damage to out-gun the opponent's heat-restricted output, 3) pair well with a wingman, and 4) still fare ok against cooler-running (or ballistics) fighters.  How would you improve/change?  I'm not married to much of any specifics except the general concept - assuming it's valid in the first place.

Sanguine Spirit SSF-1A

Mass: 60 tons
Frame: Unknown
Power Plant: 300 XXL
Cruising Speed: 75.6 kph
Maximum Speed: 118.8 kph
Armor: Reflective
Armament:
     2 ER Medium Laser
     1 Plasma Rifle
     1 Laser AMS
     1 MML 3
Manufacturer: Unknown
     Primary Factory: Unknown
Communication System: Unknown
Targeting & Tracking System: Unknown
Introduction Year: 3145
Tech Rating/Availability: F/X-X-X-E
Cost: 34,368,880 C-bills

Type: Sanguine Spirit
Technology Base: Mixed (Experimental)
Tonnage: 60
Battle Value: 3,082

Equipment                                          Mass
Engine                        300 XXL               6.5
   Safe Thrust: 7
   Max Thrust: 11
Structural Integrity:         7                       
Heat Sinks:                   12 [24]                   2
Fuel:                         400                   5.0
Cockpit                                               3
Armor Factor (Reflective)     416                    26

Armor   
                           Value   
     Nose                   125   
     Wings                104/104 
     Aft                     83   

Weapons
and Ammo                              Location   Tonnage  Heat   SRV  MRV  LRV  ERV    
Targeting Computer                      NOS       2.0      -      -    -    -    - 
MML 3                                   NOS       1.5      2      2    2    2    0 
Laser AMS                               NOS       1.0      5      3    0    0    0 
Plasma Rifle                            NOS       6.0      10    10   10    0    0 
ER Medium Laser                         RWG       1.0      5      7    7    0    0 
MML 3 SRM Artemis-capable Ammo (33)     FSLG      1.0      -      -    -    -    - 
MML 3 LRM Artemis-capable Ammo (40)     FSLG      1.0      -      -    -    -    - 
Plasma Rifle Ammo (30)                  FSLG      3.0      -      -    -    -    - 
ER Medium Laser                         LWG       1.0      5      7    7    0    0 

« Last Edit: 27 August 2019, 02:27:02 by Annwn »

Lagrange

• Lieutenant
Re: Design Challenge - Plasma ASF Superiority Concept
« Reply #1 on: 03 September 2019, 21:41:30 »
If you shift to a 6/9 90-tonner with a 360 XL, you may have more maneuverability in practice since you won't be constantly risking structural damage at max thrust.  You'll also end up with a significantly heavier payload.  Maybe 3 Plasma Rifles with ammo (2 tons each) + a targeting computer (4 tons) and 5 DHS puts you at a 33 ton weapons load. 

Notsonoble

• Lieutenant
  • Justice will be delicious!!!
Re: Design Challenge - Plasma ASF Superiority Concept
« Reply #2 on: 04 September 2019, 15:44:51 »
Ignoring the suggestion of a total chassis rebuild, can mmls do inferno and arty in the same ammo? If not I'd dump the arty, especially since I can't find its ton. I'm also not terribly keen on the ATCPU. You're not going to do location hunting in ASF duels, and in the case of zell-less combat you want to splat as much heat on the opponent as possible, so a bigger or second MML might do you better than the improved accuracy.

Otherwise the concept is sound. I haven't done aero stuff in a long time, would a star of these have an effect on dropship or warship heat? That'd be another reason to go towards more heat generation vs accuracy when dealing with those who don't duel. By the time you get to the Raven Alliance's existence, build doctrine would consider that.
Self:  Meltrans are already culture shocked, except their response is to squeal like high school girls at a boy band concert and discharge energy weapons in random directions.
Weirdo: Sounds like the proper reaction to a Macross Cannon to me.
Quote from: Weirdo
And of course if even a single Constitution had shown up onscreen for even a single second, you would have been able to hear the mass squeeing from orbit.