Author Topic: New and Upcoming Releases Volume XII: Baker's Dozen  (Read 217699 times)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: New and Upcoming Releases Volume XII: Baker's Dozen
« Reply #990 on: 17 June 2018, 23:07:41 »
Catalyst is working on creating new sets of map sheets that WILL be actual purchasable products. Its just the world wide event maps that aren’t planned to be purchasable. There are other maps, beyond what is planned to be in the boxed sets, they they are working on as well. They just weren’t previewing that stuff at Origins. So, you will be able to buy maps, just not necessarily those four. That make you feel any better?
Not really. Yeah, we knew there are gonna be new maps, or at least that has been said but until i see them... well, i'm not gonna get interested or hyped about things that may be eventually.

Those four maps form such a nice looking battlefield as they are. Nice variable terrain, looks like something that might be an actual place. Generic maps lack such... connectedness, theme.
The new box set maps are looking good but man, the event maps look even better, that's the worst thing here.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #991 on: 18 June 2018, 00:12:17 »
I get the maps being a event exclusive; give you a little something special for hosting the event and makes the event it self a little more special.

If I actually had my stuff together, I would see this as a great time to sign up to be a Demo Agent (only have 4 unpainted lance packs and a couple of proxies, wouldn't be the best rep of the game as is)
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #992 on: 18 June 2018, 00:18:42 »
Thought the map packs were a poorly selling item?  Does this indicate a change in release philosophy?  I mean . . . I really want some of the variants hinted at in 3145 and I know there are record sheets missing from releases before that product.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #993 on: 18 June 2018, 02:59:10 »
  • Met Brent Evans, chatted for a bit, feel that the line is in enthusiastic hands.

I don't care about enthusiasm, only results. Right now, I'm here to support folks like Cubby, Adrian Gideon, Kat, and the other people I see actually working. Until Brent produces some results, I am getting really tired of his hype.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

FredrikR

• Corporal
« Reply #994 on: 18 June 2018, 06:48:19 »
Maps look great, very clear elevation levels.    :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Star Commander Jared, 2nd Falcon Jaegers, Clan Jade Falcon
"We are the light at the end of your sorry little tunnel."

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #995 on: 18 June 2018, 06:57:49 »
According to Brent, the reason we haven't seen any new product is that they're focusing the entire stable of BT authors/developers on moving the storyline forward via fiction. This means that they've got to focus on that and even the smaller products would be a distraction from that effort. There should be new fiction, in Barnes and Noble at least, sometime next year.
I missed that comment earlier...thanks for relaying this to us, mbear. 

I'm making Upcoming Product speculation.  Please don't pouncing me for thinking this out.

From what has been said so far, I do hope CGL clears up when what is being launched. 
What it sounds like...essentially most likely nothing really moving product wise until the storyline moves.

So if the Shatter Fortress manages to come out this year. We won't see anything until it does come out?
I'm not assuming that if we don't see novels, we wont see anything.  Because another year of waiting going break people.

Small products may all on hold, including TROs, XTROs, etc.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #996 on: 18 June 2018, 08:11:24 »
However, Brent did mention that he wants to get the image files for the new maps available as free downloads so people can print them on their own if they want. I didn’t think to ask if that meant just the ones in the new box sets or also the world wide event, or something else. Personally, I think that sounds like a cool idea, and I’m guessing we will have more details at GenCon.
I find myself weirdly intrigued by those maps, too. Personally, I am not much into fancy environments and like wilderness environment best (kudos to the graphic artist), and they look like good playing fields (kudos to the map designer). And if CGL will offer them for free download - way to go CGL!
:thumbsup:
Thought the map packs were a poorly selling item?  Does this indicate a change in release philosophy?  I mean . . . I really want some of the variants hinted at in 3145 and I know there are record sheets missing from releases before that product.
Huh? From what I understood, the first two map packs sold very well, and the third had quality issues on the printing side of things. The line then ended because CGL wouldn't be able to get the same product quality out for the same price.
Maybe I got that wrong. No insider knowledge here whatsoever.
« Last Edit: 18 June 2018, 10:14:39 by Frabby »
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Geont

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #997 on: 18 June 2018, 09:31:21 »
I wouldn't mind to pay for these WWE maps after end of the event. We don't have currently big enough community to successfully run these events but in future I would like to use these maps as they are something very nice and uncommon. PDF version like current MapPacks would be nice.
Born in Czechoslovakia and living in Czechia (or Czech Republic).

Fan of FWL

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #998 on: 18 June 2018, 09:32:18 »
Pretty sure that was the comments about the map packs.  I do not quote remember, I know I bought the set that had a base but I have not really used it.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #999 on: 18 June 2018, 10:22:07 »
Ah, sorry I couldn't make it out. Kiddo no. 2 arrived early Tuesday morning, so Origins was a no-go for me obviously. I hope to be there next year, definitely try to connect with me! Always good to meet a forum regular.

Punch-out Mechs are in both. Terrain, I'm not personally sure about. I'll check.

Nobody going to mention a congrats ?!

Kos

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1000 on: 18 June 2018, 11:40:19 »
Wha! I love the map packs! I have all three (and two hard-backed ones from the box set), and have got a lot of use out of them.

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
« Reply #1001 on: 18 June 2018, 11:42:59 »
Ah, sorry I couldn't make it out. Kiddo no. 2 arrived early Tuesday morning, so Origins was a no-go for me obviously. I hope to be there next year, definitely try to connect with me! Always good to meet a forum regular.

I missed this on the first read through... congratulations!
Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #1002 on: 18 June 2018, 18:23:30 »
I glossed over that as well! Congrats Cubby! Can’t think of a better reason to skip a convention.

Couple other random replies:

Brent mentioned in passing that the previous map packs made money. No word if they sold a ton, but what they sold made money. However, they were made by three different printers and quality control wasn’t what they wanted.

The proofs for the two new boxed sets were not empty. They had punch out mechs, punch out terrain, and new rule books inside, I just didn’t have time to photo everything. They are way further along than the mock-up boxes we saw at GenCon last year.

Priority #2 for GenCon appears to be shattered fortress. Beyond that, not sure what will make the cut. The revised Alpha Strike rulebook is possible, but not guaranteed. Same with new map packs and new fiction.

From what I saw, the box sets should be at GenCon. Now, they may be a smaller shipment that gets air-mailed over before the main container gets over here by boat, but I believe they will be ready in August.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #1003 on: 18 June 2018, 19:14:42 »
Now, they may be a smaller shipment that gets air-mailed over before the main container gets over here by boat, but I believe they will be ready in August.

That's almost a traditional thing! (Remembers Leviathans)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1004 on: 18 June 2018, 20:10:42 »
Priority #2 for GenCon appears to be shattered fortress. Beyond that, not sure what will make the cut. The revised Alpha Strike rulebook is possible, but not guaranteed. Same with new map packs and new fiction.

TW reprint

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #1005 on: 18 June 2018, 22:19:01 »
TW reprint

Was available at Origins, and presumably doesn't bear mentioning as a new release for GenCon. :)
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

PreacherPatriot1776

• Sergeant
« Reply #1006 on: 18 June 2018, 22:20:38 »

Punch-out Mechs are in both. Terrain, I'm not personally sure about. I'll check.

Congrats on your number 2 kiddo! Just to warn you that they grow up fast and soon they will be 22 and married.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1007 on: 18 June 2018, 22:50:59 »
Was available at Origins, and presumably doesn't bear mentioning as a new release for GenCon. :)

you'd think at this point in my life i could read at an elementary school level

but you'd be wrong

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #1008 on: 19 June 2018, 06:07:18 »
Did you ask about what that meant for Ilclan? I'd like to see it at Gencon rather than waiting another year for it...

Not that I'll be at Gencon....
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #1009 on: 19 June 2018, 06:23:21 »
you'd think at this point in my life i could read at an elementary school level

but you'd be wrong

My kindergarten class was divided into rabbits and turtles, so I empathize. ;)

Cubby, congratulations on the new...cub? (This is starting to feel recursive. "It's cubs all the way down.")
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1010 on: 19 June 2018, 06:59:55 »
Cubby, congratulations on the new...cub? (This is starting to feel recursive. "It's cubs all the way down.")

Cub, Cubby, Cubbbyy. Easy enough, even for a "turtle." :D

(And belated congratulations from me as well.)
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #1011 on: 19 June 2018, 08:15:49 »
May they take to the air again some day
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #1012 on: 19 June 2018, 08:19:45 »
May they take to the air again some day

Seconded. Neat game concept, fun system... what a waste.  :-\
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #1013 on: 19 June 2018, 09:14:58 »
Did you ask about what that meant for Ilclan? I'd like to see it at Gencon rather than waiting another year for it...

Not that I'll be at Gencon....

Priority #2 for GenCon appears to be shattered fortress.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #1014 on: 19 June 2018, 11:54:59 »
Huh? From what I understood, the first two map packs sold very well, and the third had quality issues on the printing side of things. The line then ended because CGL wouldn't be able to get the same product quality out for the same price.
Maybe I got that wrong. No insider knowledge here whatsoever.

The HexPack products predate my current level of involvement, but my understanding is that they were a victim of that concept of sales velocity. They may have "sold well," but were expensive to produce and sold too slowly to recoup that cost effectively.

Brent mentioned in passing that the previous map packs made money. No word if they sold a ton, but what they sold made money.

The two concepts aren't mutually exclusive, which is where the confusion usually happens. Things can gross more money than they cost to produce, but move slowly enough to hamper further production, for a net effect of performing poorly. Printing QC, I can't say.

As is the annual rush to get things ready for the con. IMHO, makes it very hard to properly tease and hype and market things. The rush means they just sort of <blorp> into existence.

Cub, Cubby, Cubbbyy. Easy enough, even for a "turtle." :D

(And belated congratulations from me as well.)

Hm...not bad. Feels a little Joruus C'Boath, but I can work with it. (In reality, "Cubby" was my nickname at the first newspaper I worked for, as in, "junior cub reporter.")

Thanks, everyone, for the congrats! It's been a wild week since Lia Catherine Cahall arrived on Tues 6/12, 7 lb 13 oz, 21 inches, healthy along with her mom.

To stay on topic, I'm glad to say that I got about a chapter and a half of "Shattered Fortress" edited in her delivery room, and a little more since, so I'm on pace. I tried to recruit her as my Research Assistant, but she fell asleep. Typical slacker baby.

Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #1015 on: 19 June 2018, 11:58:31 »
*looks on Google for 'child labor laws'*

Congrats!  :P
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #1016 on: 19 June 2018, 11:59:23 »
A baby gitl. How cute she is. So, she is now a Cubbe.tte
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #1017 on: 19 June 2018, 12:06:19 »
*looks on Google for 'child labor laws'*

"Look, I. Don't. Care if you're two days old. You know who cares? Tara Campbell, because she's waiting for you to confirm that the Highlanders were a battalion according to FM3145. Make it happen!"
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #1018 on: 19 June 2018, 12:09:32 »
What a cute angel .....
Congratulation!   :thumbsup:
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Mindwiper

• Corporal
    • German Clan Wolf
« Reply #1019 on: 19 June 2018, 12:32:50 »
The best move to bring the Battletech Miniature game back into the minds of people and embrace new players is to wait out until the hype of the computer game has passed by.
Until then: 80's style garbage sale Rulebook covers will work 'cause there is this "Ready Player One" hype.
Oh wait....

Register