Author Topic: New and Upcoming Releases Volume XII: Baker's Dozen  (Read 217750 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: New and Upcoming Releases Volume XII: Baker's Dozen
« Reply #1050 on: 21 June 2018, 16:50:08 »
It won't happen. There is a 0% chance that Catalyst will produce more lance packs.

O?  The other color Beemers have not been that definitive . . .

But I think the Succession Wars Expansion Pack to the GoAC box is a better route.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1051 on: 21 June 2018, 16:52:08 »
O?  The other color Beemers have not been that definitive . . .

As of right now, GreyWolfActual is correct. But never say never.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #1052 on: 21 June 2018, 16:52:36 »
It won't happen. There is a 0% chance that Catalyst will produce more lance packs.

I’m concerned people will read this, but hear “CGL will never do plastic Mechs again ever.”

It’s unlikely these Lance Packs will be reprinted exactly as they are.

There are certainly hopes of producing more plastic minis in the future, which depends in part on how well the new box sets do.
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1053 on: 21 June 2018, 16:57:05 »
There are certainly hopes of producing more plastic minis in the future, which depends in part on how well the new box sets do.

BUY, YOU FOOLS

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

abou

• Captain
« Reply #1054 on: 21 June 2018, 17:01:19 »

I am hoping for a new "PlasTech" set for the remaining Classics. I vastly prefer metal; however, you take what you can get.

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #1055 on: 21 June 2018, 17:02:26 »
This is correct.

I’m concerned people will read this, but hear “CGL will never do plastic Mechs again ever.”

It’s unlikely these Lance Packs will be reprinted exactly as they are.

If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #1056 on: 21 June 2018, 17:06:02 »
BUY, YOU FOOLS

Once they have product, I've got lucre... I fear there will be a blossoming of my military budget  >:D

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1057 on: 21 June 2018, 17:07:07 »
I am hoping for a new "PlasTech" set for the remaining Classics. I vastly prefer metal; however, you take what you can get.

I just can't justify buying more metal miniatures for a long while, but I'll take whatever plastics come my way.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #1058 on: 21 June 2018, 17:19:21 »
With the end of the lawsuit in sight I would not be surprised to see either lance packs or a reinforcement set using the Macross derived unseen. Those have always been the most iconic mechs in the franchise and would probably sell better than the new box sets.

Frankly though I would rather see CGL willing to sell individual plastic mechs as well as larger lance packs or company sized boxes. If they have the molds they aren't limited as to what they do with them, or at least they shouldn't be. If they are.. well, that is just their own fault for picking the wrong company to work with.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #1059 on: 21 June 2018, 17:19:54 »
I know that Lance packs are a taboo subject but who could get behind the following lance packs?
Recon Lance: Phoenix Hawk, Valkyrie, Stinger Wasp
Pursuit Lance: Ostsol, Ostroc, Ostscout Scorpion
Fire Lance: Longbow, Archer, Crusader, Rifleman
Assault Lance: Marauder II, Goliath, Marauder, Warhammer, 
This with the new box sets I think would sale and you would have all the mechs in plastic! Then Iron Wind Metals could offer variants on the base designs.

Needs more Battlemaster.   :P
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #1060 on: 21 June 2018, 17:23:17 »
With the end of the lawsuit in sight I would not be surprised to see either lance packs or a reinforcement set using the Macross derived unseen. Those have always been the most iconic mechs in the franchise and would probably sell better than the new box sets.

Frankly though I would rather see CGL willing to sell individual plastic mechs as well as larger lance packs or company sized boxes. If they have the molds they aren't limited as to what they do with them, or at least they shouldn't be. If they are.. well, that is just their own fault for picking the wrong company to work with.

If they can do it while still doing right by IWM, why can't they do something like what Wizkids is doing with their Pathfinder and D&D minis (essentially selling two unpainted-but-primed plastic minis in a blister for $5) or what Reaper does with their Bones (but with a better, paint-tolerant plastic than Bones, please!), as long as it makes financial sense?

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1061 on: 21 June 2018, 17:27:40 »
Have you all seen Steve Jackson Games's new Ogre miniatures? That's the quality (and price point) I want to see. If any of the Catalyst High Poombas want, I can even forward the information on the folks doing the manufacturing for SJ Games.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #1062 on: 21 June 2018, 17:32:16 »
If they can do it while still doing right by IWM, why can't they do something like what Wizkids is doing with their Pathfinder and D&D minis (essentially selling two unpainted-but-primed plastic minis in a blister for $5) or what Reaper does with their Bones (but with a better, paint-tolerant plastic than Bones, please!), as long as it makes financial sense?

Wizkids can afford to build up a huge stock of a wide variety of miniatures on the assumption that they'll sell fast enough to make a profit. Catalyst doesn't have the same customer base.

(also, mech miniatures are significantly bigger, so you wouldn't get two in a blister for five dollars).

As for bones but with better plastic? Who can say the better plastics are still affordable at the same price?
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1063 on: 21 June 2018, 17:46:42 »
Who can say the better plastics are still affordable at the same price?

*raises hand* I literally just mentioned Steve Jackson's new plastic miniatures. They're a hard PVC that holds super-fine detail. Eyeballing the sprues makes me think that, with a bit of clever mold design, we could get a company of 'Mechs for around $40.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #1064 on: 21 June 2018, 18:11:45 »
When it comes to injection molding there are two things to consider. Price of the mold and price of the actual part. The price of the mold can be very expensive while cost per part is VERY low. It should be very easy for CGL to reuse the mold(s) they have to create lance packs with out increasing the cost of said lance packs or needing to invest in new molds.

If I were handling this for CGL I would have wanted to either create several cheap molds that could be mixed and match to a certain product. The overall final price would be higher but would allow for greater flexibility in future product decisions.

While this line of discussion is nice, it is straying from the main topic of the thread so I will leave it at this :P

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #1065 on: 21 June 2018, 18:15:44 »
I want some OSTs.  I need them.  For too long, I have been trying to get an Ostroc without paying too much.  NOW IS THE TIME.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #1066 on: 21 June 2018, 18:31:57 »
Need some Plastic Clan Mechs.... just saying

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1067 on: 21 June 2018, 18:52:48 »
I know that Lance packs are a taboo subject but who could get behind the following lance packs?
Recon Lance: Phoenix Hawk, Valkyrie, Stinger Wasp
Pursuit Lance: Ostsol, Ostroc, Ostscout Scorpion

Personally, I would change the positions of the Valkyrie and the Ostscout...

Fire Lance: Longbow, Archer, Crusader, Rifleman
Assault Lance: Marauder II, Goliath, Marauder, Warhammer, 
This with the new box sets I think would sale and you would have all the mechs in plastic! Then Iron Wind Metals could offer variants on the base designs.

While I love me some Marauder II, I think that Assault lance would be better with a BattleMaster instead...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1068 on: 21 June 2018, 18:56:58 »
While I love me some Marauder II, I think that Assault lance would be better with a BattleMaster instead...

No, drop the Goliath for the BLR.

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #1069 on: 21 June 2018, 19:36:41 »
Have you all seen Steve Jackson Games's new Ogre miniatures? That's the quality (and price point) I want to see. If any of the Catalyst High Poombas want, I can even forward the information on the folks doing the manufacturing for SJ Games.
Do.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #1070 on: 21 June 2018, 19:44:12 »
BUY, YOU FOOLS

I LOL'd, and that's a rare thing.   :thumbsup:
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

abou

• Captain
« Reply #1071 on: 21 June 2018, 19:53:11 »
I just can't justify buying more metal miniatures for a long while, but I'll take whatever plastics come my way.
Understandable, especially if you have been in the hobby as long as I suspect you have. I just find metal a better material to work with. Heck, I still buy vinyl records over CDs when I can. But I also understand that I am in the minority. I buy a miniature to paint it as much as to use it on the table.

I never bought the lance packs simply because I didn't need them. I have multiples of many of those 'mechs already. But in this case if we get the other Classics in an expansion set, sign me up. And I imagine that is a logical step CGL had roughly planned if the lawsuit went their way.

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #1072 on: 21 June 2018, 19:59:21 »
No, drop the Goliath for the BLR.

Drop the Marauder for the Battlemaster, make a Shadowhawk, Wolverine, Griffin, Marauder Battle Lance Pack
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Joewrightgm

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1073 on: 21 June 2018, 20:01:35 »
The good thing about plastic, is if you sell them unassembled with variant parts; you could make a shadow hawk 2K and 2h I’m the same blister, for example.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1075 on: 21 June 2018, 22:03:32 »
Well the reason I went w the selections that I did was because that would give us back the rest of classics but if lance packs are not in the cards how about reinforcements box set with the remaining classics. Maybe the fabled alpha strike box set  ;)
I may have a low amount of posts but I have a PHD in Battletech and mechs older then most people on this board!

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #1076 on: 21 June 2018, 22:44:46 »
The Game of Armored Combat (8 'mech) box set includes Alpha Strike materials, if what I heard at Origins was correct. ;)
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #1077 on: 22 June 2018, 05:45:54 »
Looks like a nice boxed set.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #1078 on: 22 June 2018, 09:50:20 »
The Game of Armored Combat (8 'mech) box set includes Alpha Strike materials, if what I heard at Origins was correct. ;)

Basically the standard double sided Alpha Strike cards of the 8 'Mechs.
I have spoken.

Kos

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1079 on: 22 June 2018, 10:56:43 »
I think if the new box set does well, it's be cool to do another expansion box for 4th Succession War: Some new classic mechs, mapsheets, markers and a scenario/background booklet. Provided they've figured out how to make the new box sets economically viable, then expansions should be doable. Also, as an expansion to the box set, sales of one could drive the other. Just a cool idea in my opinion.

Register