Author Topic: New and Upcoming Releases Volume XII: Baker's Dozen  (Read 217926 times)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
Re: New and Upcoming Releases Volume XII: Baker's Dozen
« Reply #1140 on: 25 June 2018, 22:40:36 »
I’m not allowed to play anything any more that has blind randomization. My wife so much as gets a whiff of MtG cards, my face will be on a poster at every FLGS within 50 miles proclaiming “DO NOT SERVE THIS MAN”

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #1141 on: 25 June 2018, 22:43:52 »
 ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D

xp

Sounds like you could be in for a rough time if CGL ever takes my suggestion seriously :P

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #1142 on: 26 June 2018, 06:55:21 »
It also depends on the size and complexity of the mold.

No kidding. I have several of the Robotech RPG Tactics mini boxes, and those models are a copper plated pain in the ass to build.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #1143 on: 26 June 2018, 07:10:04 »
Not the complexity I was talking about ???

For a complex mold we could be talking about an odd shape that would require several different moving pieces as part of the mold. Sprue items are normally a simple two part mold. The solid one piece BT minis might be a multi-part mold depending on the complexity of the design.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1144 on: 26 June 2018, 07:50:00 »
The reseen tbolt has the legendarily nightmarish multi-segment legs. Are you thinking of the primitive or IIC?
Now that I think about it, the problem with the t-bolt was in the legs. The reseen Rifleman is the other big problem off the top of my head.

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #1145 on: 26 June 2018, 08:59:10 »
I know I am in the minority here but I would prefer keeping Battletech minis as simple as possible. I have put together enough multipart plastic minis and paid for them more than the trouble was worth. BT us my go to for relatively low cost fun and I want to keep it that way.

Don't get me wrong, I love good looking minis and IWM does great work, but I prefer to keep IWM and CGL seperate and to see things stay simple enough for IWM to be able to crank out more mins rather than lower quantity, pricier minis.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1146 on: 26 June 2018, 10:06:31 »
Your not in the minority . . . this, like most things, has a bell curve.  The largest segment will be "Don't Care/Keep it Simple" . . . and on either end you get the "OMG, one piece only for my SANITY!"  and "I love working with tweezers & microscopes to get a pose."  I will admit, after the TRO PP era mechs like the Solitaire, Scylla (which stayed in a ziplock for 15 years until I paid faithless to assemble it) and Marauder 9S I was in that camp.  But the latest run has made me look closer at the pictures rather than just the pieces count- I am a 'army' builder/painter . . . for me the mechs from the last box set and accompanying Lance Packs were great.  They looked pretty good IMO as they were, and if I felt brave enough I could use the Xacto to repose them.  I experimented on the multiples of mechs I was not a huge fan of (hello Cyclops, one is literally my guinea pig for painting techniques) and then moved to others.  My metal Orion and the Lance Pack Orion have the same pose . . . to get a different look, I used the plastic one because it was easier and less expensive if I screwed up.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1147 on: 26 June 2018, 10:16:05 »
No "Noisiel Games" Breakdancing Atlas mini, No Peace!  :D
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #1148 on: 26 June 2018, 11:50:24 »
No kidding. I have several of the Robotech RPG Tactics mini boxes, and those models are a copper plated pain in the ass to build.

Those minis are/were utterly absurd. 
I don't think I ever finished assembling the four out of the one box that I purchased. 
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1149 on: 26 June 2018, 14:48:23 »
I had planned to buy half a dozen boxes to build a few generic heavy companies but then I saw the sprues...

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #1150 on: 26 June 2018, 20:25:30 »
Those minis are/were utterly absurd. 
I don't think I ever finished assembling the four out of the one box that I purchased.

I'm on the opposite end here. I have built and painted about 2 dozen of the unseen (Destroids) from RPG Tactics for Btech, I love them! It's just a cost/reward issue, not a lot of players like me who feel the payout is worth the extra effort. Which I totally understand! My companies also include about 20 plastic lance packs too!! 🤣
But going forward? I would definitely like to see more modular plastic mini "kits". They wouldn't need to be as elaborate as the Robotech kits, but that direction would please me! 😍

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #1151 on: 26 June 2018, 20:33:52 »
As someone who used to build plastic model kits the RT kits don't bother me at all. I've dealt with far worse building warship kits.

Now if CGL decided actual model kits for mech, warships, dropships, etc I would love to build some. I wonder how the Atlas would look as a 1/72 scale model kit... ;D

Padraig Tseng

• Sergeant
« Reply #1152 on: 26 June 2018, 20:52:34 »
The answer to any question like this is "Money." As in it either:
1. Costs too much to do
2. Won't deliver enough money to be profitable

In this case we've talked about it before you had joined the forums, and it's #2.

They should look into an on demand service such as the folks at Pro Wrestling Tees.....they do online stores for pro wrestlers and apparently the wrestlers make a decent profit off the shirts....
So the Ghost Bear says "Tell me the truth, you don't come here for the hunting, do you?"

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1153 on: 26 June 2018, 21:09:29 »
They should look into an on demand service such as the folks at Pro Wrestling Tees.....they do online stores for pro wrestlers and apparently the wrestlers make a decent profit off the shirts....

There could be license issues that are not public. But, hopefully, the print-on-demand experiment will show that such things are possible.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1154 on: 26 June 2018, 21:57:04 »
I can’t say I’m super excited about the initial selection for PoD but I’ll buy it with the hope of more options in the future

Padraig Tseng

• Sergeant
« Reply #1155 on: 26 June 2018, 22:32:46 »
There could be license issues that are not public. But, hopefully, the print-on-demand experiment will show that such things are possible.

If they limit the selection to stuff they are 500% sure they have the rights to (or Topps does) then it would probably be good.  The notion tho that money is the issue was more what I was responding to :P
So the Ghost Bear says "Tell me the truth, you don't come here for the hunting, do you?"

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1156 on: 26 June 2018, 23:02:22 »
If they limit the selection to stuff they are 500% sure they have the rights to (or Topps does) then it would probably be good.  The notion tho that money is the issue was more what I was responding to :P

I wasn't talking about copyrights at all. I mean that IMR's license with Topps could limit their ability to produce ancillary products.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #1157 on: 27 June 2018, 06:39:09 »
I can’t say I’m super excited about the initial selection for PoD but I’ll buy it with the hope of more options in the future

Honestly I'm torn. I want to support PoD and CGL, but turning points just don't excite me the way a collection of say XTROs would. *shrug*
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #1158 on: 27 June 2018, 07:26:36 »
I wasn't talking about copyrights at all. I mean that IMR's license with Topps could limit their ability to produce ancillary products.

The notion tho that money is the issue was more what I was responding to :P

Money is always an issue. Let us all remember the HBS experiment with trying to crowd-fund BT merch.

"I'd definitely buy one of those!" Okay, that's one sale made, and possibly several thousand more to go.

Honestly I'm torn. I want to support PoD and CGL, but turning points just don't excite me the way a collection of say XTROs would. *shrug*

My understanding is that PoD for XTROs would be difficult because of their landscape format. You'll probably hear more about PoD in the coming months--con season is here and all available production resources are directed elsewhere at the moment.

Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #1159 on: 27 June 2018, 07:28:34 »
My understanding is that PoD for XTROs would be difficult because of their landscape format. You'll probably hear more about PoD in the coming months--con season is here and all available production resources are directed elsewhere at the moment.
Fair enough. Maybe a printed copy of the Era Reports will be available in the future. That would be cool too.
Be the Loremaster:

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #1160 on: 27 June 2018, 07:44:00 »
I'm on the opposite end here. I have built and painted about 2 dozen of the unseen (Destroids) from RPG Tactics for Btech, I love them! It's just a cost/reward issue, not a lot of players like me who feel the payout is worth the extra effort. Which I totally understand! My companies also include about 20 plastic lance packs too!! 🤣
But going forward? I would definitely like to see more modular plastic mini "kits". They wouldn't need to be as elaborate as the Robotech kits, but that direction would please me! 😍

Hey, I think it's great that there are people out there who enjoy those complex kits.  I'm definitely not criticizing those who do. 

I think, all else being equal, Games Workshop really hit the sweet-spot with the basic Space Marine mini in terms of number of pieces.  For obvious reasons, that wouldn't translate 1:1 to Battletech (we wouldn't need the shoulder pauldrons or the bolter), but upper body, lower body plus legs, left arm, right arm, sometimes the head.  That seems perfect to me.  Again, though, maybe the real difference maker is not the number of pieces, but the material.  I love the folks at IWM, they do really excellent work and I am grateful to them for helping keep this game alive, but it is a heck of a lot easier to put together a plastic mini than it is a pewter one. 
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #1161 on: 27 June 2018, 08:40:12 »
Hey, I think it's great that there are people out there who enjoy those complex kits.  I'm definitely not criticizing those who do. 

I think, all else being equal, Games Workshop really hit the sweet-spot with the basic Space Marine mini in terms of number of pieces.  For obvious reasons, that wouldn't translate 1:1 to Battletech (we wouldn't need the shoulder pauldrons or the bolter), but upper body, lower body plus legs, left arm, right arm, sometimes the head.  That seems perfect to me.  Again, though, maybe the real difference maker is not the number of pieces, but the material.  I love the folks at IWM, they do really excellent work and I am grateful to them for helping keep this game alive, but it is a heck of a lot easier to put together a plastic mini than it is a pewter one.

I don't disagree, but Games Workshop's advantages in available capital, artistic control, and economies of scale, in comparison to Ironwind Metals, are simply enormous.

The two companies are only barely operating in the same market.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1162 on: 27 June 2018, 08:58:42 »
...which has nothing to do with actual sculpts of the pieces, as ActionButler was talking about.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #1163 on: 27 June 2018, 09:02:45 »
Alright you two, break it up and move on.  Any discussion of IWM vs. GW in terms of anything - scale, quality, volume, circumference, radius, or seismograph readings, whatever, - needs to go into the Miniatures section, not this thread.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1164 on: 27 June 2018, 09:36:16 »
Money is always an issue. Let us all remember the HBS experiment with trying to crowd-fund BT merch.

"I'd definitely buy one of those!" Okay, that's one sale made, and possibly several thousand more to go.

IMO its just disappointing that something that was released in print form last year AT the Con has not been made available in ereader format.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1165 on: 27 June 2018, 10:08:05 »
Fair enough. Maybe a printed copy of the Era Reports will be available in the future. That would be cool too.

Do you mean the Era Digests? Because yeah, I'd love to see a certain mini-book in print. ;)

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #1166 on: 27 June 2018, 11:19:47 »
Do you mean the Era Digests? Because yeah, I'd love to see a certain mini-book in print. ;)

Yes, I did. *sigh* too much going on.
Be the Loremaster:

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1167 on: 27 June 2018, 11:57:14 »
Both. ER3145 is approaching college organic chem textbook prices

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #1168 on: 27 June 2018, 12:25:12 »
Both. ER3145 is approaching college organic chem textbook prices

Wait until you get to Analytical and Physical. Plenty of O-Chem books out there to bring the market down....
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1169 on: 27 June 2018, 12:43:00 »
Wait until you get to Analytical and Physical. Plenty of O-Chem books out there to bring the market down....

Yes, Wars of Reaving is the PChem analogue