Author Topic: Coils of the Adder: Home of Clan Star Adder  (Read 219875 times)

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
Re: Coils of the Adder: Home of Clan Star Adder
« Reply #30 on: 03 February 2011, 13:52:32 »
@ Wotan:
What gaps shall be filled in your opinion?

Because we can not build the Timberwolf, I would like to get a similar design. 70t with speed of 5/8, no jumpsets, endo steel chassis, FF armor.

There are better designs.  Mad Dog is much better, IMO.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Joshua D

• Corporal
  • A Ranger must be free.
« Reply #31 on: 03 February 2011, 15:10:51 »
I Love the Mad Dog.  Especially the D config in these modern days.  Most optimized? No.  Incredibly fun to play?  Yes, indeed...

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #32 on: 03 February 2011, 15:27:46 »
I've been all about the Stormcrow and Nova these days.  Stormcrow C and B are killer, C being my favorite.  Nova Prime, A and B are also my favorites (The B isn't all that bad and for some reason I've had some good luck with it in MegaMek vs the Bot, where most of my games have been because my group is gone).  I'll back them with Fire Moth, Kit Fox and Mist Lynx.  When I venture outside of the medium and light category, Mad Dog, Warhawk and Executioner are great.  I actually prefer the mixed weapons layout offered with the Warhawk A.  Executioner is just great.

I will never, EVER, resort to using a Timber Wolf no matter what.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #33 on: 03 February 2011, 15:33:58 »
Make it 5 tons heavier, and you could just steal the Sphinx design. 

ShockaTime

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 03 February 2011, 15:56:14 »
I've been all about the Stormcrow and Nova these days.  Stormcrow C and B are killer, C being my favorite.  Nova Prime, A and B are also my favorites (The B isn't all that bad and for some reason I've had some good luck with it in MegaMek vs the Bot, where most of my games have been because my group is gone).  I'll back them with Fire Moth, Kit Fox and Mist Lynx.  When I venture outside of the medium and light category, Mad Dog, Warhawk and Executioner are great.  I actually prefer the mixed weapons layout offered with the Warhawk A.  Executioner is just great.

I will never, EVER, resort to using a Timber Wolf no matter what.

Stormcrow, and Nova are two of the best clan mechs available, fact.

Spirit Never Dies - Second Spirit Chasseurs - Clan Blood Spirit
Raven Alliance

Gäiten

• Warrant Officer
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #35 on: 03 February 2011, 16:09:51 »
Make it 5 tons heavier, and you could just steal the Sphinx design.

As if a true Clanner would steal anything! Remember where you are and you are talking to!  [tickedoff]  ;)

-------------

I agree, that the Maddog is an excellent OmniMech, but I would like an heavy Omnimech, which is fast and well armoured. A 70t Mech with maiximum armor protection could field 29t pod capacity (FF armor, Endosteel chassis, 14 DHS and XL engine).

Klingon

• Sergeant
« Reply #36 on: 03 February 2011, 16:14:38 »
FF armor is... inefficient. Standard armor with 13.5 tons leaves you 1 point shy of max (or 14 tons will waste 7 points). And agreed, the fixed chassis shouldn't have jump jets, although some of the variants very well could.

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #37 on: 03 February 2011, 16:19:02 »
It is not much known about our production lines. Looking to the RAT of FM:U it seems we have good access to Mad Dogs and Cauldron-Borns. So i assume there is no need to search for another mech in this categorie.
But for the faster tactics of our Burrocks we are in desperate need for fast designs i think. Vipers or Shadowcats seems to be missing in our production lines. Also within our light ranks there is no really fast design to transport BAs.

But i have no idea which ASF we can build. We have one of the biggest naval assets, but their is no ASF mentioned to be build in mass by the Adders. I think our ground forces are more or less good maintained. But our ASF ?

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #38 on: 03 February 2011, 17:28:10 »
Cloud Cobra is friends with Star Adder because of the Burrock absorption and they use the Fire Moth, Mist Lynx and Kit fox.  I'm also positive that Clan Burrock used them given their medium/light preference and alliance with Cloud Cobra.  I would say it is safe to use them in the touman for that reason plus the fact that they are general Clan OmniMechs.

Plus, "Hussar Clusters" are basically light and medium Burrock units, right?  Seems Star Adder used Clan Burrock to patch up the weaknesses in their touman.

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #39 on: 03 February 2011, 19:54:09 »
As if a true Clanner would steal anything! Remember where you are and you are talking to!  [tickedoff]  ;)

-------------

Which once again brings up the debate, "Does it count as stealing if you hit them over the head with your club first?"
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Johnny 'NKH' Leyland

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #40 on: 03 February 2011, 19:59:00 »
Seems Star Adder used Clan Burrock to patch up the weaknesses in their touman.

More like to plug the big holes the Blood Spirits ripped into it, but it had the side effect of diversifying the touman. I don't think the Adders cared for it too much though. They packed off a lot of Burrocks into Upsilon Galaxy and sent them roaming.

Which once again brings up the debate, "Does it count as stealing if you hit them over the head with your club first?"

As long as it's backed up with all the standard ritual rigmarole, and some kind of Trial that's at least within earshot of the honorable Clan combat ideal, it's OK.

Skip the protocols though and it's banditry. The Clans are very big on manners.

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #41 on: 03 February 2011, 20:04:20 »

As long as it's backed up with all the standard ritual rigmarole, and some kind of Trial that's at least within earshot of the honorable Clan combat ideal, it's OK.

Skip the protocols though and it's banditry. The Clans are very big on manners.

Clan Dire Boar:  'Ey, you!  Down there!  Wif da shiny!  We gonna take dat shiny usin' dis club!
Clan Combustion Gerbil:  Nuh uh!  Not if we use dis rock wot smashes 'eads in!

*Five minutes later*

Clan Combustion Gerbil:  Da shiny is yers, fair and square, smelly pigheads.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #42 on: 03 February 2011, 20:25:18 »
More like to plug the big holes the Blood Spirits ripped into it, but it had the side effect of diversifying the touman. I don't think the Adders cared for it too much though. They packed off a lot of Burrocks into Upsilon Galaxy and sent them roaming.

69th Dragoon Cluster, Beta Galaxy (Former Burrock Cluster)
133rd Hussar Cluster, Beta Galaxy (Former Burrock Cluster)
206th Hussar Cluster, Delta Galaxy (Former Burrock Cluster)
193rd Dragoon Cluster, Epsilon Galaxy (Former Burrock Cluster)
212th Battle Cluster, Epsilon Galaxy (Mostly Burrock warriors)
471st Adder Guards, Epsilon Galaxy(Mostly Burrock warriors)
1009th Adder Sentinels, Kappa Galaxy (Created from a group of Burrock warriors)
1015th Adder Sentinels, Xi Galaxy (Former Burrock Beta Galaxy Cluster)
1143rd Garrison Cluster, Sigma Galaxy (Former 82nd Burrock Guards)
1114th Gatekeeper Cluster, Tau Galaxy (Created from a group of Burrock warriors)

EDIT:  That's two full Galaxies of Burrock warriors.  Two clusters went to Epsilon, others patched up the holes.

EDIT:  My bad, apparently I can't count!  :D  That would be 3 in Epsilon.
« Last Edit: 03 February 2011, 20:38:00 by Fear Factory »

Johnny 'NKH' Leyland

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #43 on: 03 February 2011, 20:52:49 »
69th Dragoon Cluster, Beta Galaxy (Former Burrock Cluster)
133rd Hussar Cluster, Beta Galaxy (Former Burrock Cluster)
206th Hussar Cluster, Delta Galaxy (Former Burrock Cluster)
193rd Dragoon Cluster, Epsilon Galaxy (Former Burrock Cluster)
212th Battle Cluster, Epsilon Galaxy (Mostly Burrock warriors)
471st Adder Guards, Epsilon Galaxy(Mostly Burrock warriors)
1009th Adder Sentinels, Kappa Galaxy (Created from a group of Burrock warriors)
1015th Adder Sentinels, Xi Galaxy (Former Burrock Beta Galaxy Cluster)
1143rd Garrison Cluster, Sigma Galaxy (Former 82nd Burrock Guards)
1114th Gatekeeper Cluster, Tau Galaxy (Created from a group of Burrock warriors)

but it had the side effect of diversifying the touman.

Like I said.

I stand by the existence of Upsilon Galaxy (formed from the Warriors of some of those Clusters above IIRC) as an indicator that the Adders don't particularly care for Burrock influence.

I'll also point out that the Adders themselves don't seem to be trying to alter their own 'pure' Adder Clusters to a lighter base. Even the new 'mechs they produced were two Heavies (one being the Burrock!) and an Assault. They are just being pragmatic about how they use their Burrock isorla, using them in the way in which the Burrocks are experienced in fighting.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #44 on: 03 February 2011, 20:58:02 »
Honestly, I find the fluff for the Burrock laughable.  I think the design is more of an insult seeing how Clan Burrock favors light and medium units.  That's my take on it though.

Johnny 'NKH' Leyland

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #45 on: 03 February 2011, 21:01:15 »
Or a nudge from the Star Adders to get those Burrocks to fight 'properly'? ;)

I actually like the Burrock a lot from a personal perspective, it looks cool and has the Clan ethos of 'hit hard, way too hot'.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #46 on: 04 February 2011, 02:10:20 »
No doubt about that... it hits hard.  It just in no way fits the Clan Burrock fighting style unless they fell back into their Operation: Klondike mindset again.

Marlin

• Sergeant
« Reply #47 on: 04 February 2011, 06:05:43 »
But it can indeed burrow through enemy units, no?
Get to know the ultimate combined arms experience for the Battletech universe! See link below.

http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/board,105.0.html

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #48 on: 04 February 2011, 09:51:41 »

-------------

I agree, that the Maddog is an excellent OmniMech, but I would like an heavy Omnimech, which is fast and well armoured. A 70t Mech with maiximum armor protection could field 29t pod capacity (FF armor, Endosteel chassis, 14 DHS and XL engine).
Borrow, Trial, or Capture then? :) Same difference in Clan terms.

Also, if TPTB dont put the kibosh on it, it looks like an upgraded Summoner is on its way from the Falcons Olivetti plant.  The DA era Summoners we've seen dossiers for have been consistantly statted with Olivetti T4 Endo Steel and Compound Beta FF armor.  This, to me, says Refit.  Some of the various configs we've seen lack JJ's too, so it's possible those are now pod mounted. You can beg/borrow/steal/trial for that if it ever shows up. 

Gäiten

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #49 on: 04 February 2011, 12:20:34 »
FF armor is... inefficient. Standard armor with 13.5 tons leaves you 1 point shy of max (or 14 tons will waste 7 points). And agreed, the fixed chassis shouldn't have jump jets, although some of the variants very well could.
Using FF you would waste 3 points, IMO, acceptable.

@Istal_Devalis
For DA I hope for something newer than just the IS-originated Summoner refit coming from the Homeworlds.
Nevertheless I like the new Summoner. Same with the Maddog II refit. Great a Mech.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #50 on: 04 February 2011, 12:43:45 »
But it can indeed burrow through enemy units, no?

Yes.  Yes it does.  But Clan Burrock has used light and medium units since they changed their preference after Operation Klondike.

Marlin

• Sergeant
« Reply #51 on: 04 February 2011, 13:07:39 »
I know dude, I was just pointing out the explanation for the Burrock.

But in order to hit that hard it had to be heavy. Also shows that the Snakes did not bother too much with their new brethren, I guess?

Could have taken a Nova H and christened it Burrock as well. :D Although its no faster then the above mech.
Get to know the ultimate combined arms experience for the Battletech universe! See link below.

http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/board,105.0.html

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
« Reply #52 on: 04 February 2011, 13:08:26 »
Burrocks needs mechs with mining drills to allow them to move underground.  :D

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #53 on: 04 February 2011, 13:50:23 »
IIRC the first RAT distributed after the story of Absorption fields also the Gargoyle C in the Star Adder frontlines. This is droped later for the Blood Asp. I clearly see Gargoyle C's in the old Burrock clan as heavy raider units.
Having no Gargoyle factory, but knowing the Burrocks used them ... it is a logical choice to build a mech like the Burrock.
It is more the way of a fighting style than the units used for. I think Burrock style is to move fast and use big guns along with good BA cover. Something totally different to our old ways. Opening our minds for the potential of this tactics and to ensure having the needed designs would be a good goal.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #54 on: 04 February 2011, 14:00:51 »
They had the Executioner.  Clan Ghost Bear might have put it out but the Burrocks and Jaguars designed it.  Plus, they made the Clan Gauss Rifle.

Gäiten

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #55 on: 04 February 2011, 14:09:36 »
I prefer a Burrock Mech instead of a Clan "Hollander" Mech  ;)

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #56 on: 04 February 2011, 17:02:11 »
Burrocks needs mechs with mining drills to allow them to move underground.  :D

That would be awesome on so many levels.

Also, hey Adder fans, what are some of the more commonly used Mechs by the Adders?

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #57 on: 04 February 2011, 17:10:52 »
That would be awesome on so many levels.

Also, hey Adder fans, what are some of the more commonly used Mechs by the Adders?

This is a good start:

Clan Star Adder (History, possessions, warriors, etc)
Clan Star Adder Touman

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #58 on: 04 February 2011, 17:15:03 »
This is a good start:

Clan Star Adder (History, possessions, warriors, etc)
Clan Star Adder Touman

I keep forgetting that site exists.  Thanks!

Star Adders aren't one of my top favorite Clans, but I do enjoy the fact that, from what I remember of the Crusader Clans book, they were sort of set up as, "Okay, they were the Clan that weren't bad, they weren't top players, and HOLY CRAP DID THEY JUST GET HUGE?"

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #59 on: 04 February 2011, 23:09:01 »

This is the Clans. As long as you start the fight by telling them which club you're going to use and how many times you plan to hit them, go nuts.  ;)
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Register