Author Topic: The Wolf Empire: Our Khan Beat Devlin Stone in a Savage Wolf! Buy Savage Wolves!  (Read 198951 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Tonight, the Khan Natasha Kerensky's 13th Wolf Guards will participate in the final trial against forces of the Capellan Confederation.

So, with only 1 loss this tournament (wiped out by the Ravens) I will be playing a newer player who chose the CapCon.  He only has a single loss AFAIK in the 2nd round, but we did not meet each other in that round so we face off having been the last two not eliminated.  This fight will be using 15k on each side, adding another 5k to what we had previously.

Timberwolf C  3/5
Mist Lynx C    4/4
Elemental L    4/4

Dire Wolf Widowmaker  2/4-  Natasha Kerensky
Mech Track Point LRM  3/8
Mech Track Point LRM  3/8

Gargoyle D  4/4
Phantom B  4/5
Elemental L 4/4
Elemental L 4/4

A very Wolf force for what I can squeeze in the BV.  It gives me 5 cERLL, 2 ERPPC and 2 LPL for some ranging beating while his old force lacks speed to close up on my mechs without getting a lot of hits in.  Then the infantry half of the Nova can screen the Dire Wolf, especially those infantry which act as mobile SRM10s.

I expect to be facing 2 Cyclops, Orion, 2 Catapults, maybe a Firestarter, and two Fa Shih . . . not sure what else he will add . . .

Pictures at 11!
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
It's been 11 days...

You promised:
Pictures at 11!

TT
 :thumbsup:
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Lol, forgot . . . because the opponent was a no-show, rather disappointing Natasha did not get her climactic battle.

I did have a post written up about a Capellan putting a foot in the Circle of Equals . . . and then turning to walk off.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

GoGo Yubari

• Sergeant
Hey Wolf-brethren, please remind because I have forgotten.. what's the Clan Wolf unit that this paint scheme belongs to? It's also the one proudly displayed on that one book cover, which now also escapes me. I've always loved this one, but can't for the life of me place it now.

BattleMech Production 3025: thread  list
GoGo's MWO BATTLE ROMs: CBT MWO youtube

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
I don't think that's ever been established as a canon unit scheme, but let me check my books.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Phaedros

• Corporal
  • The Wolf of the West
Yeah, I don't see it on CamoSpecs, so no clue.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
It's not been established as a canon Wolf scheme.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

GoGo Yubari

• Sergeant
Hmm okay, thanks folks. Oddly it's one of the more iconic paint schemes out there, but isn't a designated unit. This bums me out.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
With ilClan thing (possibly) happening soon(tm).  Does this mean Wolf Galaxy/Clusters may get a "Royal" designation or a new designation?  4th Royal Wolf Guards or the 81st Royal Wolf Strikers etc?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Hmm okay, thanks folks. Oddly it's one of the more iconic paint schemes out there, but isn't a designated unit. This bums me out.

It's not really iconic. It appeared in a single illustration planned for a cancelled product that was reused later as interior art.

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

GoGo Yubari

• Sergeant
It's not really iconic. It appeared in a single illustration planned for a cancelled product that was reused later as interior art.

I guess iconic is a big word, but it is one of the better images for Battletech ever really, but that's just my opinion (also obviously the only opinion that matters in this universe). I guess it could be a take on the Delta Galaxy spec or a Crusader Wolf unit that's changed its camo... but really probably just an artist being creative. Anyway, it is glorious.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
I definitely agree that it looks better than any canon Wolf scheme, although that's a pretty low bar

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
With ilClan thing (possibly) happening soon(tm).  Does this mean Wolf Galaxy/Clusters may get a "Royal" designation or a new designation?  4th Royal Wolf Guards or the 81st Royal Wolf Strikers etc?

I get your point — will the ilClan’s units get a special designation among Clan units reflecting their status as the ilClan?

I’d say it’s certainly possible, but it probably won’t be “Royal”.  Even among those Clan units directly descended from SLDF Royal units, the “Royal” moniker was dropped long ago.  Otherwise, Clan Wolf’s 341st Assault Cluster, which is descended from the 341st Royal Battlemech Division, would be called the the 341st Royal Assault Cluster.  And it’s not.  The Clans long ago shed those direct references to the more parochial, imperial and aristocratic aspects of the old Star League.  And as a (very bloody) meritocracy, they still oppose the House nobility, another reason to avoid the word “royal”.

My 2-bit guess is that there will be some more elite and loyal force that the ilClan establishes over and above its regular touman and the other Clan toumans (maybe with contributions from all Clans).  But I’d expect an expanded use of the term “keshik” or something else Mongolian to refer to this force, rather than a throwback to the First Star League.  The ilClan may establish a Third Star League, but it will likely have the imprint of Clan society, not House Cameron, the Terran Hegemony, or the other Houses in general.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
My 2-bit guess is that there will be some more elite and loyal force that the ilClan establishes over and above its regular touman and the other Clan toumans (maybe with contributions from all Clans).  But I’d expect an expanded use of the term “keshik” or something else Mongolian to refer to this force, rather than a throwback to the First Star League.  The ilClan may establish a Third Star League, but it will likely have the imprint of Clan society, not House Cameron, the Terran Hegemony, or the other Houses in general.
You are thinking something like the Ebon Keshik that guards Strana Mechty and the Great Father's tomb on his McKenna?

Which is even assuming the other Clans will recognize the ilClan's supremacy.  Before the Invasion, they all agreed that whoever won the race would be ilClan . . . because each Clan thought they would be the one to win the race, so what would it matter that they agreed?  The rest of the Clans were going to join them, so they did not have to worry about being subsumed to another Clan.

IF a IS Clan becomes ilClan, I suspect none of the other Clans are just going to roll over and be absorbed.  Its a empty title, like being "Kerensky's Clan" or current figurehead monarchies.  You are the King/Queen but that means nothing like it did hundreds of years ago.
Colt Ward

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
Meaning what, a Klondike II... aka Clan civil war 2.0?

I can see hundreds of ToP, a few ToA and maybe a death or two clanwise.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Yeah, the shakeout from ilClan will be impressive. I'll be amazed if all of the existing Clans make it through the transition.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Bears, Ravens and Foxes IMO just ignore it . . . Horses might follow along . . .

But for the Crusader Wolves and Mad Malvina's Jade Falcons?

In the end, there can be only one.
Colt Ward

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
Bears, Ravens and Foxes IMO just ignore it . . . Horses might follow along . . .

But for the Crusader Wolves and Mad Malvina's Jade Falcons?

In the end, there can be only one.

JADE WOLF for the win1

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
JADE WOLF for the win1

TT

That would be... oddly satisfying.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Alaric kills Malvina, absorbing the Jade Falcons and resurrects that name?  Really odd for the Clan psychology.
Colt Ward

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
More Iike there's just enough as separates that as a whole, Jade Wolf arises. Or the alternative... a dead puppy and finch.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
You are thinking something like the Ebon Keshik that guards Strana Mechty and the Great Father's tomb on his McKenna?

No, not ceremonial or police.

The implication of the existence of an ilClan is not just that some Clan reached or holds Terra.  Per the Wolf Clan SB, the existence of an ilClan implies that there is a new Star League.

If so, then what units comprise the new Clan “SLDF”?

I don’t think there will literally be another “SLDF” with “Royal Divisions”, etc.

But I don’t think the ilClan’s touman or frontline galaxies alone would serve the function of the old SLDF.

I think a Clan “SLDF” under the ilClan/3rd Star League would have to be broader than that.

Which is even assuming the other Clans will recognize the ilClan's supremacy...

IF a IS Clan becomes ilClan, I suspect none of the other Clans are just going to roll over and be absorbed.  Its a empty title, like being "Kerensky's Clan" or current figurehead monarchies.  You are the King/Queen but that means nothing like it did hundreds of years ago.

There may well be inter- and intra-Clan fighting over the ilClan-/ilKhanships.  But I doubt that a major, lengthy, and long-awaited product like “ilClan” would be produced and titled as such over an empty figurehead.

After events like those in WoR or the revelations about what Nick Kerensky did to the Wolverines, it’s easy to jump to the conclusion that any Clan will fight any other Clan tooth-and-nail over the ilClanship and die trying.

But the reality is that canon Clan history is also replete with long episodes of very limited and ritualized warfare driving the major decisions in Clan society.  Clanners have stuck to the results of their trials before, even when they didn’t like them.  They may do so this time, too.

There are also episodes in Clan history where one Clan, usually Wolf because of the Founders, has been afforded privileges the other Clans do not enjoy.  And there are episodes where the Clans acknowledge and work under (sometimes through gritted teeth) the leadership of an ilKhan.  They may do either or both this time, too.

There are also episodes where the Clans have united against a common foe, like the Wolverines or the Society.  They may do so again in the run-up to the creation of the ilClan.  There are a number of potential foils:  Mad Malvina and her Mongol Falcons, Stone if he goes cryo-crazy and the Republic elements that follow him, or even a surprise visit from whatever the Homeworld Clans have evolved into.

Lastly, how many Spheroid Clans even care about pursuing the ilClanship anymore, nevertheless are willing to risk their existence on securing it?  The Bears?  The Foxes?  The Ravens?  The Horses?  Only the Wolves and Falcons seem willing to fight for the ilClanship.  As long as the ilKhan doesn’t do anything stupid, the rest may be more than willing to join a federated Third Star League under an ilClan, especially if it means coordination/support in defeating the Houses on their borders, better worlds, better trade, better tech, etc.

I’m not saying any of this will happen.  But I am saying that there are well-grounded options for the ilClan storyline to be something other than “the Clans beat each other senseless over nothing.”

My own sense is that the Wolves have been laying groundwork with some of the other Spheroid Clans that will help secure the ilClanship for the Wolves — like the cooperation implied with the Horses and Ravens in the creation of the SkinWalker.  And that some other catalyst — like Malvina breaking out the WMDs or Stone backstabbing the Wolves after bringing them to Terra — will catapult the Wolves into the ilClanship and the creation of a “Third Star League”.

But I also suspect that, like the Jihad and WoR storylines, the major strokes of the ilClan story will be unpredictable.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
I'm curious if the ilClan will even use the name Star League in it's name at this point.  Plans keep changing with what going happen from what all i have read.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
In 3050 the ilClan was to (peacefully) absorb all the other Clans into theirs since the superiority of the Clan taking Terra would have been proven for all.  In 3150, its just not going to happen- neither the Falcons or Wolves would tolerate the other having that title, so no peaceful absorption.  Bears, Ravens and Foxes IMO will be like . . . 'Cool story bro, so what?'

So whichever Clan claims Terra may call themselves the ilClan but its a empty title- the other Clans are not going to voluntarily join them and lose their identity.
Colt Ward

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
In 3050 the ilClan was to (peacefully) absorb all the other Clans into theirs

Where is that written?

According to the WCSB, the ilClan gets to permanently pick the ilKhan, which will probably (but not necessarily always) be one of their own.  The ilClan forever (in theory) becomes the power behind the throne at the head of Clan governance.

But I don’t recall anything about the Clans losing their individual identities or otherwise being absorbed by the ilClan or other sociopolitical structure.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Garner Kerensky is alive, Alaric is preparing a trap for Malvina's Falcons on Terra, Paul Moon incognito? surrendered New Terra to Alaric w/o fighting- IMO taking challenge terms to Stone, Anastasia Kerensky is going on a strategic mission of unknown type (get Warden Wolves & Kell Hounds to end Malvina?), Garner Kerensky (Bears?) went on a strategic mission like Marotta Kerensky & Anastasia, Alaric has negotiated with the Sea Foxes to move troops- LOTS of troops- on command circuits . . .

Heck, I am just stoked to get some classic Wolf vs Falcon hate for the fate of Terra, it warms my Refusal War loving heart.
Colt Ward

Guardian11

• Warrant Officer
I'm assuming that all appears in Divided We Fall. I purchased it, but haven't read it yet. Though when Pardoe posted the link on reddit to his blog announcing the book, I commented that the story description added fuel to my speculation that Garner Kerensky was off on a mission to get the WiE and Kell Hounds to join Alaric's Wolves, and he responded that Garner was on a different and perhaps cooler mission.
With Anastasia already having the Wolf Hunters join, Marotta getting the Wolf's Dragoons, and the mysterious disappearance of the WiE and Kell Hounds possibly presaging them joining the Wolves. It does seem Alaric is getting the Clan back together using the one thing they can all agree on... beating up the Jade Falcon's, especially Malvina's Falcons, and protecting Terra in the process.
I wonder if the Steel Wolves contracted to the FWL or Snord's Irregulars in the LC are also going to get a call to rejoin Alaric's Wolves.
Also, it will be interesting to see what role Noritomo Helmer is going to play now that he's joined the Wolves, both for and possibly against Alaric, especially once Malvina is possibly eliminated.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
The missions he sent people on were to gather traditional allies . . . could Garner have gone to get the Scorpions?  Only other ones I can think of is trying to get Snord's Irregulars, and they do not have the ties.

Helmer leads the majority of those who are not infected with the Mongol taint, word chosen specifically.
Colt Ward

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
    • Website of Blaine Pardoe
Garner Kerensky is alive, Alaric is preparing a trap for Malvina's Falcons on Terra, Paul Moon incognito? surrendered New Terra to Alaric w/o fighting- IMO taking challenge terms to Stone, Anastasia Kerensky is going on a strategic mission of unknown type (get Warden Wolves & Kell Hounds to end Malvina?), Garner Kerensky (Bears?) went on a strategic mission like Marotta Kerensky & Anastasia, Alaric has negotiated with the Sea Foxes to move troops- LOTS of troops- on command circuits . . .

Heck, I am just stoked to get some classic Wolf vs Falcon hate for the fate of Terra, it warms my Refusal War loving heart.

You definintely hit on some key points. So many possibilities...

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe
Author

SteveRestless

• Major
this Dominator will have me howling at the moon.

On one hand, the last thing Clan Wolf really needs is another heavy design. As shown in the Bloodname Trial, Timber Wolves are still in regular usage. At the very least, until we relocated, we had the Tundra Wolf and Blood Reaper in production in the Oz, so plenty of them still around. Then there's the Orion C, and Warwolf. And really, much like the Gargoyle before it (which, is still recieving configs in NTNU, so it's still in service too) the Battlemaster IIc we have is assault weight but heavy in spirit... And that's not even counting the spheroid lines we may or may not have inherited... Suffice to say, Clan Wolf has a lot of Heavy Options. Would that it were a medium, where we're lacking a good omni other than the Skinwalker.

And yet, like the Gargoyle/Battlemaster issue I alluded to, maybe I'm just looking at it wrong, and the Dominator is not a Heavy Omnimech, but a Fat Medium, as is (far too often, imo) Wolf Tradition. Was that intentional? At a glance, it compares favorably to our last sixty five ton fat medium, the Linebacker. I'd rather have a Domi than a LB. Though, really, I'll probably wind up fielding both together in stars.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Register