Author Topic: Venus  (Read 3263 times)

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
Venus
« on: 27 January 2020, 17:31:41 »
So, I know that there were settlements on Venus during the time of the Star League, but where they domed colonies? Or had the planet been terraformed?

Please not that I have very few of the source books, so simply pointing me at a page probably won't help.
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

Decoy

• Captain
Re: Venus
« Reply #1 on: 27 January 2020, 17:37:21 »
Venus was terraformed, but during the Amaris civil war, the Rimworlders shot the place up. Venus slowly reverted to it's natural habitat by 3071, IIRC

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #2 on: 28 January 2020, 01:37:55 »
After the degradation of climate, they had to dome the remaining cities, eventually abandoning the remaining few, after unforseen disaster destroyed one, wiping out an entire WoB faction. Investigation by Toyama faction confirmed that it was just a freak accident.
« Last Edit: 28 January 2020, 10:45:48 by PsihoKekec »
Shoot first, laugh later.

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 28 January 2020, 03:06:56 »
After the degradation of climate, they had to dome the remaining cities, eventually abandoning the remaining few, after unfoseen disaster destroyed one, wiping out entire WoB faction. Investigation by Toyama faction confirmed that it was just a freak accident.

And if you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you on Lackland.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #4 on: 28 January 2020, 06:29:50 »
Venus was terraformed, but during the Amaris civil war, the Rimworlders shot the place up. Venus slowly reverted to it's natural habitat by 3071, IIRC

It wasn't Venus that they destroyed - it was the giant solar mirror that reflected the sun's heat, making Venus cool enough to be terraformed.  (According to some accounts, they were trying to re-purpose it as an anti-ship heat beam.)  Without the solar mirror, Venus got too hot for anything but domed living.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #5 on: 28 January 2020, 19:29:06 »
I wonder how big that mirror would have to be, for that to work.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 28 January 2020, 19:53:54 »
I thought it was a shade, rather than a mirror.

I wonder how big that mirror would have to be, for that to work.
Depends on how far out it was.  IIRC it was at the Venus-Sol L1, so someone can probably compute how big something there would have to be to shield the whole planet.  Farther away could make it smaller, of course, but being at a point of relatively little gravity was necessary due to its fragility IIRC. You couldn’t have it twice as far out and just towed along in between the two bodies by an old, outdated WarShip or something, it was too fragile for that.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Ghaz

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 30 January 2020, 17:20:45 »
I thought it was a shade, rather than a mirror.

According to Sarna it was a Storm Inhibitor:

Each Storm Inhibitor was a giant orbiting mirror which was able to reflect heat onto a planet's surface. The reflected heat could be used to reduce the severity of a storm system or create high-pressure areas to redirect it. The heat could also be used to warm the planet, or regions of it, for purposes such as melting polar ice caps to increase the amount of liquid water.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 30 January 2020, 17:40:02 »
That’s the opposite of what Venus needs.  It needs less heat, rather than more.  JHS:Terra* calls it a “sunshade”, and confirms that it was stationed at the L1.

*To the OP: I know you said you don’t have a lot of books, but I do want to mention JHS:Terra.  It’s got a long article on the history of Venus and it’s terraforming.  If you get one book for Venus data, get that one.
« Last Edit: 30 January 2020, 17:46:58 by Arkansas Warrior »
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Ghaz

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 30 January 2020, 20:36:10 »
That’s the opposite of what Venus needs.  It needs less heat, rather than more.  JHS:Terra* calls it a “sunshade”, and confirms that it was stationed at the L1.

It also states...

Under the new leadership of Primus Marteen, ComStar attempted to placate Terrans with a “Terra First” policy with... reconstruction of the Venusian sunshade to preserve that world’s terraforming (abandoned after some engineering studies)...

... so it could originally have been the aforementioned Storm Inhibitor while after the terraforming was (mostly) complete it was used strictly as a sunshade to preserve the terraforming.  It could also just be an error/retcon of the older book to the new book  ???
« Last Edit: 30 January 2020, 20:42:11 by Ghaz »

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #10 on: 30 January 2020, 20:43:23 »
That Sarna article doesn't say that Venus had storm inhibitors.

Neither does the original source that Sarna got its information from.

Ghaz

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 30 January 2020, 21:45:56 »
That Sarna article doesn't say that Venus had storm inhibitors.

The Terra article can be read that it does.

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Terra

However, Lowell's methods had two advantages: they were fast, delivering an atmosphere that could be breathed unassisted in less than a century (officially 2201, when the average planetary temperature also rose above freezing), and they established a self-sustaining ecosystem that was far more enduring than the worlds (like Mars' sister Venus) that depended on technological environmental stabilization, like Storm Inhibitors, oxygen factories, atmospheric processors, and seismic suppressor stations.
« Last Edit: 30 January 2020, 21:56:09 by Ghaz »

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #12 on: 30 January 2020, 22:03:41 »

Which is why I said "that Sarna article" without reference to anything else at the site.

And one should always be careful when using Sarna for information for exactly this reason.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #13 on: 30 January 2020, 22:04:58 »
Sounds like a call for Frabby to take a look at the two articles, then...

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 30 January 2020, 23:00:41 »

Then the Sarna article is wrong.  Always go with the Sourcebook over the Sarna article.
Sunrise is Coming.

Ghaz

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: 30 January 2020, 23:11:10 »
Then the Sarna article is wrong.  Always go with the Sourcebook over the Sarna article.

It's referencing the old The Star League sourcebook which was from 1988 and not a part of my collection.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 30 January 2020, 23:24:50 »
No it wasn't.  There are no references in that Sarna page to the SLSB.  Also, I have a pdf copy of the SLSB, and I just checked.  There are no mentions of Storm Inhibitors being used on Venus.  In fact Bryant is the only planet mentioned as having them.
Sunrise is Coming.

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #17 on: 31 January 2020, 10:14:27 »

Depends on how far out it was.  IIRC it was at the Venus-Sol L1, so someone can probably compute how big something there would have to be to shield the whole planet.  Farther away could make it smaller, of course.....
Not really.  Farther from the planet would actually require a trivially larger diameter.  The sun is not a point-source, it's a disc of considerable size, so placing the shade further from the planet only affects the light coming from the CENTER of that disc.  The edges of the solar disc would still have a direct line to the edges of the planet, unless you increase the size of the shade.

On the other hand, you don't need (or want) to block 100% of the sun's light, so the shade could be a bit smaller, or else have openings in it.  In the latter case, the slight angular differences in the incoming light coming from one part of the sun compared to another could allow it to cover the entire sunward surface of the planet, but at a much lower brightness than without the shade.  That's probably the preferable solution.

Thatguybil

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #18 on: 02 February 2020, 10:47:42 »
I think people are confusing MARS and Venus.

Mars needs more sun and more atmosphere and is described as having storm inhibitors.
Venus needs less sunlight and less atmosphere and is described as having a solar shade.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #19 on: 05 February 2020, 12:45:48 »
That makes much more sense.

Though adding heat to a planet's atmosphere will improve the growth of storms, not inhibit it.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman