Author Topic: Character Mech Packs - Are you buying?  (Read 11754 times)

Southern Coyote

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • Savage Doesn't Even Begin To Describe It
Character Mech Packs - Are you buying?
« on: 05 December 2011, 16:06:53 »
We've seen the release of the Bounty Hunter packs, and we've had the Wolf's Dragoons packs available for sometime.  The question I have now is who has bought into them?

I think they look neat, sure. But something about them prevents me from buying them.  I'm not sure why.  What about you?  Have you bought any of them?  And why or why not?

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
Re: Character Mech Packs - Are you buying?
« Reply #1 on: 05 December 2011, 16:08:48 »
I have bought every lance pack since Sword and Dragon, save for the Liao Heavy Lance.  and the only reason why is that there is not a unit associated with it.
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 05 December 2011, 16:14:29 »
I have bought every lance pack since Sword and Dragon, save for the Liao Heavy Lance.  and the only reason why is that there is not a unit associated with it.

me too, most of my IS minis come from these packs. they come with fluff which is fun, and variants which is also cool. the bounty hunter pack come with the added charm of having a mini not yet released, and i suppose so did 3085
"Warriors, not war machines, are the backbone of the Hell's Horses. While others worship the BattleMech as the ultimate weapon, the men and women of this Clan see even this awesome piece of technology as the tool it is. We have held to this philosophy since the days of our first Khan, who knew that the value of the common soldier far outstripped the brute force of the BattleMech. It is one reason our Clan possesses fewer mechs than most, and has led many to underestimate our fierceness and courage. Our survival against all challengers when others have fallen proves the folly of such arrogance, and testifies to the wisdom of our founders."
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel
Star Captain Logan Cobb-666th Assault War Cluster, Star Commander Octavian-The Thunder Heart Cluster

Shin Yodama

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 05 December 2011, 16:42:47 »
I've bought some of them, but the shipping kills me, living in the UK, and RPE don't seem to get the new stuff anymore.

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
« Reply #4 on: 05 December 2011, 17:00:55 »
for me the lance packs, and by extension the three starter books, represent great all around units.  in the case of Sword and Dragon there is litterally nothing that a player from any time period could object to.  Same with Fist and Falcon in the Clan era.

Wolf and Blake reintroduces the concept of the Black Widows, though some Grognards may object to the absence of Nasty K

as for the lances, they are everything the companies are, only bite size, and thus a little more fun for smaller campaigns.

ShockaTime

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 05 December 2011, 17:41:21 »
I love these packs, and i've gradually collected them all now that I have the bounty hunter sets. now all we need is for those darned PDFs to come out [tickedoff]

Spirit Never Dies - Second Spirit Chasseurs - Clan Blood Spirit
Raven Alliance

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 05 December 2011, 17:42:37 »
I love these packs, and i've gradually collected them all now that I have the bounty hunter sets. now all we need is for those darned PDFs to come out [tickedoff]

i totally agree, the BH pdf should be a good one when it comes out
"Warriors, not war machines, are the backbone of the Hell's Horses. While others worship the BattleMech as the ultimate weapon, the men and women of this Clan see even this awesome piece of technology as the tool it is. We have held to this philosophy since the days of our first Khan, who knew that the value of the common soldier far outstripped the brute force of the BattleMech. It is one reason our Clan possesses fewer mechs than most, and has led many to underestimate our fierceness and courage. Our survival against all challengers when others have fallen proves the folly of such arrogance, and testifies to the wisdom of our founders."
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel
Star Captain Logan Cobb-666th Assault War Cluster, Star Commander Octavian-The Thunder Heart Cluster

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 06 December 2011, 19:08:17 »
I will buy the BH companions, but probably not the BH pack itself.  I dislike the character concept, but the lance pack has enough interesting looking stuff to use.  A big maybe to any other packs; I'm very particular. 

BARNESGN

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 06 December 2011, 20:11:25 »
I've bought several of the lance packs and I like the idea. I recently purchased two of the era 3052 packs from Iron wind. It's a good idea to bundle and save a few bucks. The BH companion pack is next on my list after the new year.

Dark_Falcon

• Warrant Officer
  • Over, under, or through.
« Reply #9 on: 06 December 2011, 20:20:15 »
We've seen the release of the Bounty Hunter packs, and we've had the Wolf's Dragoons packs available for sometime.  The question I have now is who has bought into them?

I think they look neat, sure. But something about them prevents me from buying them.  I'm not sure why.  What about you?  Have you bought any of them?  And why or why not?
To the utmost!

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 06 December 2011, 20:37:52 »
I'm not buying any of the character packs right now, because I'm still building up my core collection. I'm still open to the idea if they come up with one that really speaks to me though.
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #11 on: 07 December 2011, 00:01:54 »
I bought the Davion pack from the Sword & Dragon and acquired a few mechs from the other packs in trade, but most of the time I haven't been getting them because I only want one or two of the mechs from it and it's not worth the money trying to get the ones I want.  I'd be interested, for example, in getting the Phoenix Hawk and Javalin from the Bounty Hunter Companions box, but I'd rather get the resculpted Cauldron Born than another old version and have no interest at all in the Primitive Shadowhawk.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: 07 December 2011, 00:38:39 »
I've bought all of the ones with special sculpts, BH, S&D, WD, etc. Plus the personalities like Keresky's Orion and Pryde's Timberwolf.

But I try to paint almost every unit as a famous personality/TRO pilot so it's right up my alley.

Wolf and Blake reintroduces the concept of the Black Widows, though some Grognards may object to the absence of Nasty K

Nasty K is immortal but Church can take me home any day. ;)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #13 on: 07 December 2011, 01:41:35 »
I think there's a Thor's jump jet that disagrees with half of that statement. ;)

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

JWard

• Sergeant
  • I bid my Clan's Fiat against your Galaxy Ha I win!
« Reply #14 on: 11 December 2011, 09:25:19 »
I'm ordering all three of the Wolf and Blake starter sets for now and gonna get clan and IS sets for friends for birthday/holiday presents.  just be sure to order bases as well from what i understand they do not come with them, but i hop3e that I am mistaken.

Star Col. Josh Ward 2nd Wolf Rangers (Wolf Clan Watch)

John_Hawk

• Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 11 December 2011, 12:23:37 »
Yep.  It's a good way to build some stockpiles of 'mechs and get a discount on the prices.  I've got the Bounty Hunter and companions, Sword and Dragon (both), Wolf and Blake (all three), TRO: 3085, and one of the ghost bear packs (not a character pack, per se, but still a great group).

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #16 on: 11 December 2011, 14:43:02 »
I haven't bought any of them, just haven't seen the need to.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

deathshadow

• Lieutenant
  • Special Tasks Group
    • Cut Code Down - Minimalist Semantic Markup
« Reply #17 on: 11 December 2011, 15:06:02 »
1) I would be much more likely to consider purchasing if there were better quality pictures, and pictures of the included mechs UNPAINTED on the product page.

2) I don't care if they are metal, I stopped paying ten bucks apiece for minis a decade ago. When I can buy an entire box set with sixteen plastechs inside for the same money... Hell, I went to look at the price of a night gyr, I pretty much threw up in my mouth. I know the low order numbers and increasing cost of faux pewter is pretty much dictating the 15 buck a pop price (much less the runaway inflation)... It's just no longer a impulse purchase; which is really the audience.

Maybe it's time to admit that metal is over? I mean when I can go buy a four pack of micro-machine knock-offs at the dollar store that are higher quality... Plastic was good enough for MWDA at a fraction the price per unit...

Though again, I'd love to see MAP SCALE mini's... but I know that will never happen.

3) Much like Ral Partha before, the quality of the sculpts still feels like the dark ages compared to the works of other companies. When I can make the same or higher quality out of FIMO myself, when I'm dealing with medication induced parkinsons meaning I shouldn't even be holding a knife... The wavy/shaky lines, nothing actually being square... It's something that's plagued battletech mini's from the day they stopped using recasts from Dougram... You'd think by now we'd be seeing something better.

Just because Loose couldn't draw a straight line, doesn't mean you have to carve them that way.

I'd also be more likely to buy stuff if I didn't have to zoom in 200% just to make the text legible on IWM's website... same reason I really don't visit the battleshop (well, that and I prefer to support my local brick and mortar) -- whoever told the makers of whatever cart system that is that 11px fonts is acceptable anytime after 1998 deserves a good swift kick in the junk.
« Last Edit: 11 December 2011, 15:10:51 by deathshadow »
Death will take those who fight alone.
But united we can break a fate once set in stone.

CUTCODEDOWN.COM

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #18 on: 11 December 2011, 18:15:07 »
I don't know about anyone else but I never liked the feel of plastic or resin. Theres just something satisfying about a metal mini that keeps me buying them rather than using plastic pieces that cost cheaper. Maybe its the satisfying weight of a metal mini.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 11 December 2011, 18:37:27 »
honestly (this is not a jab at IWM), if plastic minis can be supplied for cheaper and at similar to higher quality i'm not going to refuse them for the feel of metal, but that's just me. my minis are strictly gaming pieces, i'm not a good enough painter for them to be anything else.

though to be fair, this has been talked about to death, and the reality is plastic isn't feasible for the volume of minis sold. I don't really know the math behind it but people like speck, sawbones and others that know stuff about it have said that is the issue. if they sold as well as space marines then maybe.
« Last Edit: 11 December 2011, 18:39:14 by Daishi411 »
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #20 on: 11 December 2011, 19:00:09 »
I thought that it was the cost of shutting down their facility and converting over to plastic molds that made plastics unfeasible, not the sales volume.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #21 on: 11 December 2011, 19:05:22 »
You have the shutdown plus the cost to make new molds for everything.

It is also not the volume sold as much as the sheer number of models that need to be made. I'm sure some could be done in plastic and be worth it but I also would only expect to see one or two minis per TRO to be made if the switch to plastic is made. The molds are just that much more money. Now if you do what WK did with their minis and recycle most pieces into other minis, you could squeeze out a couple more but I wouldn't expect the CBT crowd to really appreciate the lack of diversity that would eventually settle into the game.

Some mechs lend themselves to it like the clan omnis that used the same legs\arms\etc. Redundant parts are your friend.

To get the topic back on track: bought most of the character packs. Usually nice little tweaks to the minis and a little cheaper. I'm waiting to pick up the BH packs until I can clear some of my backlog of painting.

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #22 on: 12 December 2011, 00:36:43 »
I'm looking into some of the House based packs at the moment. The Liao and Kurita packs seem like a great way to break into a new faction, or modernize a faction if you're still using Succession Wars gear. Unfourtunately the character packs all seem to center around 'mechs from the Intro Box, which means a fair amount of repetition, or feature Unseen/Reseen,which is a debate that I try to leave behind. (I love the 'mechs, but potential for arguements isn't worth the trouble.) While I can see the appeal for a modeler or a painter, they really don't seem to be ideal for a beginning collector.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #23 on: 12 December 2011, 00:51:38 »
Um, the Sorenson's Sabers Lance Pack has 3 mechs that are also from the Intro Box (Jenner, Hunchback, and Grand Dragon/Dragon), but they're all different variants than the ones from the Intro Box.  The Bounty Hunter Companions Lance has a different Javalin and the Black Widow Command Lance has the Zeus X, but all the rest have no Introductory Box Set mechs at all.

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #24 on: 12 December 2011, 09:06:02 »
1) I would be much more likely to consider purchasing if there were better quality pictures, and pictures of the included mechs UNPAINTED on the product page.

I suppose this proves that you can't please everyone. One of the biggest negatives to IWM's standard practice is using unpainted pics; many simply don't show the mini well, creating a first impression that is far more negative than it would be had better pictures been used. What specifically is failing in the photos in your opinion?

2) I don't care if they are metal, I stopped paying ten bucks apiece for minis a decade ago. When I can buy an entire box set with sixteen plastechs inside for the same money... Hell, I went to look at the price of a night gyr, I pretty much threw up in my mouth. I know the low order numbers and increasing cost of faux pewter is pretty much dictating the 15 buck a pop price (much less the runaway inflation)... It's just no longer a impulse purchase; which is really the audience.

Maybe it's time to admit that metal is over? I mean when I can go buy a four pack of micro-machine knock-offs at the dollar store that are higher quality... Plastic was good enough for MWDA at a fraction the price per unit...

If you've stopped buying a decade ago due to price increases beyond the manufacturer's control, does that really put you in a position to offer a fair critique? The box set minis are a far cry from the norms, and are extremely limited in range. On what basis do you conclude that IWM's product is primarily impulse purchases? What I see online is many individuals planning out their purchases, including group buys to save on shipping costs. Even when anticipating new releases, they'll set aside the money if it's something they really want.

Plastic worked for MW:DA because of their purchase system that forced people to buy blind. It's the same difference between buying a new pack of hockey/baseball/whatever cards versus buying a single valuable and coveted card. If you don't mind not knowing if you're paying for a dozen more agromechs or a single good mini that you actually want, then yes, the collectible model works.

3) Much like Ral Partha before, the quality of the sculpts still feels like the dark ages compared to the works of other companies. When I can make the same or higher quality out of FIMO myself, when I'm dealing with medication induced parkinsons meaning I shouldn't even be holding a knife... The wavy/shaky lines, nothing actually being square... It's something that's plagued battletech mini's from the day they stopped using recasts from Dougram... You'd think by now we'd be seeing something better.

Just because Loose couldn't draw a straight line, doesn't mean you have to carve them that way.

If you would like an outside evaluation of your skills, I would be happy to oblige. Please also compile a complete list of the BT line of minis and their strengths and weaknesses based on your personal experiences with the pieces. You see, I agree that there are some stinkers in the line. I'm not going to argue that at all. However, you've made a blanket statement here without providing any examples whatsoever. It is hard to judge the fairness of your critique without specifics. In time, I would also like to see the overall impression of the line improve, but that can't happen without good feedback: honest opinions about what fails and what works, both in current releases and ones that have been around for some time. I sense a dislike of Loose's artwork. That is neither here nor there when it comes to sculpting. When he's done highly curved drawings, yes, they need to be curved in miniature form. Expecting a sculptor to "improve" on an illustration is a no-win situation because many fans will expect the miniature to be faithful to the art. If the sculptor makes "improvements" that some don't like, there will be an outcry over him/her not following the art.

I'd also be more likely to buy stuff if I didn't have to zoom in 200% just to make the text legible on IWM's website... same reason I really don't visit the battleshop (well, that and I prefer to support my local brick and mortar) -- whoever told the makers of whatever cart system that is that 11px fonts is acceptable anytime after 1998 deserves a good swift kick in the junk.

Sorry, can't help you there. Offering feedback to IWM's site admin may prove more beneficial in this case.

deathshadow

• Lieutenant
  • Special Tasks Group
    • Cut Code Down - Minimalist Semantic Markup
« Reply #25 on: 12 December 2011, 14:27:22 »
I suppose this proves that you can't please everyone. One of the biggest negatives to IWM's standard practice is using unpainted pics; many simply don't show the mini well, creating a first impression that is far more negative than it would be had better pictures been used.
That's probably why it should be shown BOTH ways... painted AND unpainted; unpainted doesn't photograph well if you don't know what you're doing (ringlight, common color background, max res original (garbage in, garbage out), low compression, perhaps restrict the image to monochrome, and TWEAK contrast after taking pic) -- painted hides the mini underneath so you're never quite sure what you are even getting.

What specifically is failing in the photos in your opinion?
Let's use the assault lance pic as an example:
http://ironwindmetals.com/store/popup_image.php?pID=4059&type=jpg

Disastrously bad artifacting becuase it's overcompressed (which probably wouldn't be neccessary if the stupid border garbage that doesn't even match the site was axed), at 413x413 by the time you take away the borders they end up 156x174 -- that's not a zoomed in product picture, that's a THUMBNAIL... thumbnail that zooms in to thumbnails? NOT a great way to sell a product... especially with the artifacting that shows up the moment you zoom in 2x or more. Lose the bandwidth wasting border, up it to at LEAST 320px wide PER MINI... provide painted and unpainted pics... and it should be full of win. What's up there now is the type of thing I'd expect on some crappy personal website from six to ten years ago.

If you've stopped buying a decade ago due to price increases beyond the manufacturer's control, does that really put you in a position to offer a fair critique?
Stopped buying was a bit of an overstatement -- more like stopped buying en-masse. (as the trunk full of old metal shows). I did for example end up picking up that night gyr, but as you said later in your post

What I see online is many individuals planning out their purchases, including group buys to save on shipping costs. Even when anticipating new releases, they'll set aside the money if it's something they really want.
It's a "plan ahead for my purchase" instead of "Hey, I want that one... buy."... Which with planning ahead for the purchase providing more time to talk myself out of it, or to have something more important/desirable come along.

Mini's, particularly for Battletech where they aren't manditory for play, are luxury purchases; if you don't market luxury purchases as impulse buys, you're not going to sell a whole lot of them.

On what basis do you conclude that IWM's product is primarily impulse purchases?
What the three brick and mortar store owners within 50 miles of me say about miniatures purchases, in particular Battletech and why they refuse to stock them anymore... and what I said above playing into that too.

If you would like an outside evaluation of your skills, I would be happy to oblige.
http://battletech.hopto.org/deathshadow/ds_Minis_Unseen.html

Excuse the decade out of date page, hasn't seen a real update since I took over running classicbattletech.com -- now that I'm no longer running classicbattletech.com I'm planning a relaunch where I'm gonna slap together a tutorial on how to carve mini's.

Please also compile a complete list of the BT line of minis and their strengths and weaknesses based on your personal experiences with the pieces.
Would take a while, but lets go over a few of the real stinkers.

NEW ATLAS SCULPT... This scrawny little thing is supposed to be an Atlas? It's bad when the hunchback is a more robust mini.

ANUBIS -- one of the most piss poor sculpts I've seen -- particularly the LRM launchers which dont' even come close to being the same size, shape or missile placement. Absurdly undersized feet, squiggly panel lines...

CAULDRON BORN "Ebon Jag" - Buddy of mine got this one -- again can nobody do a straight line anymore? Different sized FEET, uneven shape; this is almost as bad as my failed attempt at a reseen Whammy... though nowhere NEAR as bad as...

RESEEN WARHAMMER -- Every time I feel my own attempt at it is rubbish, all I have to do is look at the official one to feel WAY better. This scrawny, spindly little wreck of uneven panel lines, uneven shapes, odd ball 'blobs' for weapon areas is one of the most hideous sculpts in recent memory. The arms twice the mass of the legs certainly don't help matters any.

I could go on like that for around 90%+ of the mini's.

I've yet to see a sculpt since the original 3050 omnimech releases where they look anything but slightly melted/distorted as if the sculptor can't even handle making a straight line or a square edge... Well, there is the Mongoose, that's not TOO bad. The Marshall was a great sculpt except for it's completely absurd DA scale size... But those aren't exactly RECENT, are they?

I dunno, maybe I got spoiled by Battlefleet Gothic. WERE that we could have that level of quality.

You see, I agree that there are some stinkers in the line. I'm not going to argue that at all. However, you've made a blanket statement here without providing any examples whatsoever. It is hard to judge the fairness of your critique without specifics.
Well, hopefully I just covered that.

I sense a dislike of Loose's artwork. That is neither here nor there when it comes to sculpting. When he's done highly curved drawings, yes, they need to be curved in miniature form.
I was more referring to his 'draft' style, where the lines continue past the edge and it's almost an impressionist effect; It's like having a picture of a car by Chip Foose -- you get the idea of the general shape but it's not exactly like he stays between the lines when doing so. That's no excuse on the miniature to have things that are square not be square, to have panel lines that look like a five year old scribbled on a piece of paper with a crayon, to have round bits melted and off-center so they don't line up with each-other (especially true of missile ports on anything recent).

It's not a matter of 'improving' an illustration, it's a matter of getting a straight line. Might be fine for my crappy scratchbuilts at home where I go "close enough" -- unacceptable on something you're supposed to be selling as a product; see the missile launchers on just about EVERY recent miniature to see exactly what I mean... Particularly the reseen.
Death will take those who fight alone.
But united we can break a fate once set in stone.

CUTCODEDOWN.COM

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #26 on: 12 December 2011, 17:22:20 »
Hmm, I'm honestly not understanding many of your gripes. On one hand, you're insisting that you need unpainted pics of the minis to show them well - to the point of claiming that paint "hides" the mini, which I find as false as paint hiding mold lines - yet on the other, you insist that minis don't sell well in retail because people don't get a spontaneous urge to buy them despite being able to see them first-hand, unpainted.

While the pic on IWM's site isn't fantastic, it is good enough to show the minis at approximately life size. If a buyer is unsure, they can certainly ask around on related forums and do simple searches for images. I trust that an individual intelligent enough to find IWM's site in this day and age can do those things as a matter of course. In addition, the "character" sets that the initial question was about are tied to other products such as the Starterbooks and Dossiers, which have higher quality images.

Perhaps you have sufficient income that purchasing minis can purely be a spontaneous exercise. To most, however, it is balancing a monthly budget where the 'wants' far outstrip the means to purchase them. To disparage people who must calculate and weigh their options is rather insulting - not going into debt over game purchases is the far more intelligent path than to wantonly spend without thought to the consequences.

I think I see where this discussion could head. I don't believe it to be profitable for either of us, or the forum in general, if there is no positive being shown. That you can only see and speak of negatives suggests that you're not open to discussion and only wish to rant. Fair enough; you may have the stage to speak your piece.

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #27 on: 12 December 2011, 17:45:16 »
Um, the Sorenson's Sabers Lance Pack has 3 mechs that are also from the Intro Box (Jenner, Hunchback, and Grand Dragon/Dragon), but they're all different variants than the ones from the Intro Box.  The Bounty Hunter Companions Lance has a different Javalin and the Black Widow Command Lance has the Zeus X, but all the rest have no Introductory Box Set mechs at all.

The Black Widow pack has a variant of an Intro Box model, and two Reseen, plus an Uziel. As I mentioned before, Reseen are something I'm avoiding at the moment, and the Zeus X can be proxied with a standard Zeus with no significant problems. (I could be wrong, but isn't the difference just the fins on the shoulders?) So for me, I would be paying $40 dollars plus shipping for an Uziel.

The Companions Pack features an Javelin (a variant with no picture) and a Cauldron Born, both of which are indeed outside of the Intro Box, and a Phoenix Hawk and Primitive Shadow Hawk, which are either reseen or close enough to be on my not happening list.

As for the Sword and Dragon packs, the Davion half has new models except the Enforcer, while the Kurita half adds a Hatamoto-Chi and three variants. The variants might be nice, but there is no picture for me to see.

This doesn't mean that I don't like the 'mech packs, just that they don't fit my desires at the moment.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #28 on: 12 December 2011, 21:25:57 »
Usually a search for the pack (such as Sword and Dragon) on CamoSpecs will yield good pictures.

John_Hawk

• Sergeant
« Reply #29 on: 12 December 2011, 21:39:12 »
The Black Widow pack has a variant of an Intro Box model, and two Reseen, plus an Uziel. As I mentioned before, Reseen are something I'm avoiding at the moment, and the Zeus X can be proxied with a standard Zeus with no significant problems. (I could be wrong, but isn't the difference just the fins on the shoulders?) So for me, I would be paying $40 dollars plus shipping for an Uziel.

Well, no not quite.  I mean the proxy-ing works, but the difference between the Zeus-X and Zeus-X Stacy is more than the attached fins.  The arms are different, and rather than the double cockpit of the Zeus X, the Stacy variant just has the single cockpit.

The Battlemaster sports a RAC, which makes it different from the regular re-seen, and the Griffin has some variant weapons.  The Uziel also has the chin-guards that the standard version is missing.

The Companions Pack features an Javelin (a variant with no picture) and a Cauldron Born, both of which are indeed outside of the Intro Box, and a Phoenix Hawk and Primitive Shadow Hawk, which are either reseen or close enough to be on my not happening list.

As for the Sword and Dragon packs, the Davion half has new models except the Enforcer, while the Kurita half adds a Hatamoto-Chi and three variants. The variants might be nice, but there is no picture for me to see.

Nope, the Enforcer has a new bit too -- the left arm is replaced with two medium lasers, rather than the LL.  The Hatamoto is new -- changed missile racks and arm mount weapons -- and the rest of them are pretty good, too.  As CavingJan noted, Camospecs is a good place to see the images. They're also in the Sword and Dragon .pdf and Wolf and Blake .pdf.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #30 on: 12 December 2011, 23:51:18 »
The Battlemaster sports a RAC, which makes it different from the regular re-seen, and the Griffin has some variant weapons.  The Uziel also has the chin-guards that the standard version is missing.

The Griffin has a Snub Nosed PPC and an extra laser, IIRC.

The Uziel has substantially different arms- it's the one on the cover of TacOps.

Fallen Raven, I'm not saying that you should love all the box sets and immediately run out and buy them (especially since I'm not in any rush to get most of them), I was just pointing out that they didn't have much overlap with the Intro Box Set.

ShockaTime

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 13 December 2011, 00:00:17 »
The Uziel has substantially different arms- it's the one on the cover of TacOps.

and more importantly, a properly sculpted cockpit.

Spirit Never Dies - Second Spirit Chasseurs - Clan Blood Spirit
Raven Alliance

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
« Reply #32 on: 13 December 2011, 00:50:37 »

This doesn't mean that I don't like the 'mech packs, just that they don't fit my desires at the moment.

I can not help you if you are going to discriminate against PP mechs, but I can tell you this

Black Widows- Zeus different from standard and Zeus X by the fins being molded to the arms, and the arm mounted weapons being a Heavy PPC and a heavy autocannon, reminiscent of the Clicky tech "Assault Zeus" model.  the Uziel is a much improved model many a fans have been begging to replace the standard Uziel Mini. though you do not care, the Battlemaster has a RAC arm and the Griffin comes with a Snub Nosed Barrel, and ERPPC attachments, as well as single and double barrled lasers in the opposite arm. players choice.

For the Foxes Teeth, the Black Knight is an Axe toting version, the Cataphract has a small missile port on one arm but is otherwise standard, the Enforcer has twin medium lasers on one arm and a VERY different barrel for the autocannon arm (Gauss Rifle).  the hatchetman is just a new mini and the best version of the HCT yet made, again should be a standard release.

Sorensons sabers has a Hatamoto with 4 tube missile packs and much longer barrels for autocannons in place of PPCs.  the Grand Dragon Sports an LRM 15 pack in the side torso as opposed to an LRM 10 in the center.  the Hunchback and Jenner  both have minor differences, being a smaller autocannon and the removal of the SRM and two lasers on the jenner, replacing the SRM rack with a NARC tube.

as for the Hunter Pack,  the Cauldron Born has parts for the A Configuration, making it different from old school.  the Javelin has four laser barrels in the chest, and the Shadow Hawk is MIGHT AS WELL BE UNSEEN.  for what it is worth the P Hawk is a Phoenixized version of the 3050 models, with er larges and medium pulse lasers in each arm, and an AMS in the shoulder.
« Last Edit: 13 December 2011, 09:59:06 by JPArbiter »

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #33 on: 13 December 2011, 00:57:45 »
Appearently the models for the Character Packs are significantly different from the normal models. Who would have guessed?  #P

Honestly, I had no idea about that. With this knowledge my interest in them has increased, though they still are lower on the list than some IS Battlearmor and a pair of Patton/Rommels.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #34 on: 14 December 2011, 14:42:16 »
Appearently the models for the Character Packs are significantly different from the normal models. Who would have guessed?  #P

Yeah, the Sword & Dragon, Wolf & Blake, and Bounty Hunter/Bounty Hunter Companion packs all feature variants of the standard minis.  The Davion Lance, Kurita Heavy Lance, Ghost Bear Medium Star, Liao Light/Medum and Heavy/Assault lances, and 3085 Lance Packs are all identical to the standard minis (though they are a good way to get archived minis on the cheap).

Corrinald

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #35 on: 15 December 2011, 22:52:28 »
I just bought the Bounty Hunter 'Mech Pack.  While I don't necessarily have any interest in the Bounty Hunter or his unit, I *love* 'Mech and Omnimech variants.  I wanted the Marauder II to represent a 4K (which has a Gauss Rifle instead of a Heavy Gauss Rifle) and the Mad Cat S for a Clan unit full of alternate variants I'll be building for a post-Jihad setting.  I was excited to get them both in one place with no modification required!  The large scale battle armor looks awesome and will just be a bonus that's fun to paint.  Now I'll want a large Elemental to stand next to it on the shelf.  O0

I bought at least 4 of the Wolf and Blake WOB Omnimech packs to use as Infernus variants and for mixing and matching to build other Celestial Omnimech variants for my Shadow Division units.

I also got the Kurita set from the Sword and Dragon 'Mech Packs and gave it to a friend building a Sword of Light unit. 

Whenever I place my next order, I'll get the Bounty Hunter Companion Set for all the cool looking variants in it.  I love the 3M Phoenix Hawk represented in Reseen form.  I usually save up until I have enough to buy from IWM to warrant free shipping.

Yep, I am thoroughly enjoying the Character 'Mech Packs.   :)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #36 on: 21 December 2011, 22:02:16 »
I'll probably end up getting the Bounty Hunter companion mechs... mainly for the primitive SHD  [drool]

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?