Author Topic: The Shen Yi is Coming!  (Read 5817 times)

Daishi411

• Captain
The Shen Yi is Coming!
« on: 28 May 2013, 07:20:08 »
So, has anyone got one yet, or seen one?! If so does it look awesome? This is the release I've been most excited about so I'll buy it regardless but I was curious if others who had seen it liked it.
"Warriors, not war machines, are the backbone of the Hell's Horses. While others worship the BattleMech as the ultimate weapon, the men and women of this Clan see even this awesome piece of technology as the tool it is. We have held to this philosophy since the days of our first Khan, who knew that the value of the common soldier far outstripped the brute force of the BattleMech. It is one reason our Clan possesses fewer mechs than most, and has led many to underestimate our fierceness and courage. Our survival against all challengers when others have fallen proves the folly of such arrogance, and testifies to the wisdom of our founders."
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel
Star Captain Logan Cobb-666th Assault War Cluster, Star Commander Octavian-The Thunder Heart Cluster

ShockaTime

• Captain
Re: The Shen Yi is Coming!
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2013, 12:08:12 »
Haven't seen one yet, but I will be buying multiples. I've wanted this mech to come out since I first used Tolin Men's in the Dark Age game!

Spirit Never Dies - Second Spirit Chasseurs - Clan Blood Spirit
Raven Alliance

TheDean

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2013, 14:51:27 »
:( Wish pics were more of a priority with IWM.

JoeJones

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2013, 15:07:40 »
I'll definitely pick one of these up as soon as possible. The Shen Yi was one of my favorites from clickytech. (Although I preferred the Tian-zong in actual gameplay...)

B-3

• Iron Wind Metals
  • Master Sergeant
    • B-3 Designs
« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2013, 16:31:29 »
This! Except the side toes and heel are no longer pointed, the outer one is 3/4 this long and the inner one is about half this long.
"Don't start nothin' won't be nothin' " - J

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2013, 17:10:28 »
is that a homegrown one? it looks like the clix miniature version.
"Warriors, not war machines, are the backbone of the Hell's Horses. While others worship the BattleMech as the ultimate weapon, the men and women of this Clan see even this awesome piece of technology as the tool it is. We have held to this philosophy since the days of our first Khan, who knew that the value of the common soldier far outstripped the brute force of the BattleMech. It is one reason our Clan possesses fewer mechs than most, and has led many to underestimate our fierceness and courage. Our survival against all challengers when others have fallen proves the folly of such arrogance, and testifies to the wisdom of our founders."
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel
Star Captain Logan Cobb-666th Assault War Cluster, Star Commander Octavian-The Thunder Heart Cluster

B-3

• Iron Wind Metals
  • Master Sergeant
    • B-3 Designs
« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2013, 17:22:14 »
Hmmm maybe I shouldn't be sharing these yet. :-\

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2013, 17:29:32 »
The changes from the dark age mini are interesting but it could be the angle. I'd hate to see the shoulder boards gone but I suspect they are a mold nightmare.

I eagerly look forward to the final product. Hopefully it is closer to the dark age mini than the tro artwork.

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: 28 May 2013, 17:55:41 »
:( Wish pics were more of a priority with IWM.

If I had one there would be pictures of it on the site and here.

B-3

• Iron Wind Metals
  • Master Sergeant
    • B-3 Designs
« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2013, 18:16:20 »
DOH! You want I should send you master pics?

ShockaTime

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 28 May 2013, 18:17:53 »

I thought this was a May 13th release?

Raven Alliance

Dragon41673

• Captain
    • Aries Games & Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: 28 May 2013, 21:40:44 »
They should be shipping out to stores in the next few days...
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures

ShockaTime

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 09 June 2013, 00:41:43 »
Anyone have one of these yet!?

Raven Alliance

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #13 on: 09 June 2013, 00:55:03 »
Anyone have one of these yet!?

My FLGS told me just a few more days...
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #14 on: 09 June 2013, 06:46:55 »
Our FLGS had one. Sadly I wasn't at the game yesterday.

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: 09 June 2013, 08:05:28 »
Next two days I will have pictures done and up.

Amalor Myrnnyx

• Lieutenant
  • www.myrnnyx.com
    • Myrnnyx Minis
« Reply #16 on: 09 June 2013, 14:41:13 »
Ask, and you shall receive.
Expect a painted one next weekend.

« Last Edit: 09 June 2013, 14:43:41 by Amalor Myrnnyx »
-James Degenhardt

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #17 on: 09 June 2013, 14:49:52 »
Cool, thanks!  O0
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 09 June 2013, 15:22:15 »
thanks for the pic!!!!! that actually looks really nice! I was wondering how many pieces it is, especially the feet.
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel

Amalor Myrnnyx

• Lieutenant
  • www.myrnnyx.com
    • Myrnnyx Minis
« Reply #19 on: 09 June 2013, 15:26:53 »
thanks for the pic!!!!! that actually looks really nice! I was wondering how many pieces it is, especially the feet.

Lower leg and hip, other leg, other foot, upper torso, two arms
-James Degenhardt

ShockaTime

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 09 June 2013, 15:38:40 »
Disappointed that it's another walking pose and the torso is bugging me for some reason, but overall it looks like a nice mini. Thanks for the pics!

Raven Alliance

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #21 on: 09 June 2013, 21:26:19 »
Nice mini. The torso is sticking out about twice as far as the DA mini which is probably why it looks off.

Siberian-troll

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 09 June 2013, 21:40:57 »
Too much discrepancies with existing art.  :-[

Torso clearly oversized, arms and legs too thick, missile bins are totally wrong here
Feets aukward, foreign and easily breakable

ShockaTime

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 09 June 2013, 22:36:25 »
Too much discrepancies with existing art.  :-[

Never really stopped them from producing sculpts in the past.

It looks like it has drawn more inspiration from the DA mini rather than the 3085 art. I`m not quite sure why since the 3085 art was fantastic but it is what it is now. I`m honestly just pumped that we have it in B-tech mini form!
« Last Edit: 09 June 2013, 22:44:23 by ShockaTime »

Raven Alliance

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • tired ... very tired ...
    • darklined.com
« Reply #24 on: 10 June 2013, 04:46:20 »
Yes, the DA sculpt carried more weight than the art.

Disappointed that it's another walking pose and the torso is bugging me for some reason, but overall it looks like a nice mini. Thanks for the pics!
You have seen the sculpt so the walking pose shouldn't have been a surprise. But I agree they can get repetitive (although the parts count usually allows for easy modifications). Out of curiosity and for future inspiration, what kind of poses would you like to see?

ShockaTime

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 10 June 2013, 08:45:16 »
You have seen the sculpt so the walking pose shouldn't have been a surprise.

This is actually the first I've seen of it. Didn't know if the previous image was the final sculpt or intermediary. If there is any rason not to be surprised it's because the walking pose seems to be a trend on recent minis.

Out of curiosity and for future inspiration, what kind of poses would you like to see?

First of all, thank you for asking. Second, my preference would be to have the option of whether or not to put it into a walking pose but I also appreciate that this might involve adding extra pieces or other complications to the mini. The 3050 omni resculpts are perfect examples (excluding the Fire Moth/Mist Lynx and Summoner/Hellbringer) where I have the option to put them into a running pose, standing pose or somewhere in between. I'm also totally fine with static standing poses. The majority of my minis are in simple standing poses. Something like the legs of the Warhammer 8K's legs with both feet planted on the ground in an action pose can also work quite well (I'm a huge fan of that sculpt so I might be a little biased).

I'd definitely like to hear what others think though. I think a walking poses do work, it's just not doing it for me on the Shen Yi. It is still a nice sculpt though, so good work.

Raven Alliance

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #26 on: 10 June 2013, 09:13:41 »
Looks 97% dead on with the DA scale mini. Which is what they use as a reference-- since it's more tangible than art (for pre-existing DA material).

Personally, I think it looks great. My only minor nitpick is; I think the right arm gun could have been larger, but again it matches the DA mini. Looking forward to seeing a few painted up on CSO. 

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • tired ... very tired ...
    • darklined.com
« Reply #27 on: 10 June 2013, 09:45:38 »
I'd definitely like to hear what others think though.
To put in my 0.02€ ... I think you are on to something.
Right now I prefer the walking poses for two reasons:
- (usually) the part count allows for easy(ish) reposing (if you don't like the walking pose as sculpted)
- only one foot has to be cut off the integrated base (a HUGE advantage)

I don't mind "both feet on the ground" poses if they are not too static. The Warhammer you mentioned is a very good "best practice" example in my opinion. The knees are bend, the stance is opened slightly. The whole miniature has some animation, no matter how you angle the torso. Even the most massive Mech shouldn't be stark and stiff in my opinion. This doesn't make for a very appealing miniature, no matter how good the details are.

A good mix between walking poses (with at least one foot off the base) and action poses, but with both feet (mostly) on the ground sounds desirable to me.

Burning Chrome

• Lieutenant
  • One of the Vocal Minority
« Reply #28 on: 10 June 2013, 13:07:05 »
...action poses, but with both feet (mostly) on the ground sounds desirable to me.

This please.  Being able to rotate the torso or pose the arms would be a big plus.

The Phoenix Ostsols are wonderful because of the parts you get with each variant...mix and match to "strike the pose" you're hoping for.  Only wish there was an official sculpt for the OTL-7M and OTL-8M.
"Matchup of the century: desire to play vs. resentment"

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #29 on: 10 June 2013, 13:32:16 »
Out of curiosity and for future inspiration, what kind of poses would you like to see?

I'm going to say the ultimate inspiration for a pose that is "alive" is the Unseen Battlemaster.  It has motion and menace, without being too much.  I honestly don't see most 'Mechs getting their feet way off the ground when they walk or run.

Obviously, they don't need to be one piece like the old Beemer, but I think that is a look to strive for.

As for this one, I think the bulk of the torso needs to come down a little and be closer to the hips.  The DA version has a pretty solid torso, the pewter version seems to have a lot of space there.  Still looks good though.  Smaller toes seem to be in order, though.
"The rules technically allow all sorts of bad ideas." -Moonsword