Author Topic: Blank Mechs  (Read 7730 times)

Akalabeth

• Lieutenant
Re: Blank Mechs
« Reply #30 on: 08 November 2013, 18:01:37 »
Regardless of where the discussion has now gone, the original thread was relevant to being in the IWM forum, or at least I believed so.

Well there are fan-funded projects. Maybe instead of petitioning IWM to take a risk on new machines that no one might buy, you or someone else could rally support around a couple designs which could be produced by IWM but funded by the fans. Of course first you would need an artist and a direction in terms of aesthetic and so forth.

If the components were interchangeable with existing designs it could also bleed into the grander battletech milieu if that's an appropriate word.

The Talon miniatures for example were produced basically for battletech but were later picked up by a competitor. If Battletech fans produced a similar line but had it sold through IWM specifically.

What technology of mechs were you intending?

I don't think creating a mech would actually cost thousands of dollars. If the design is 3d modelled for free (ie by an artist interested in it) I think you can get designs made for a couple of hundred dollars. At least I have some friends who've created miniatures of their own and that was their experience. Sculptors would obviously cost more. But if it's a volunteer project where the participants mostly just get some factory-cost models of the designs.

So instead of a "can IWM do this?" a better thread might be "I have an idea for a fan project. Who's interested in getting involved?"
« Last Edit: 08 November 2013, 18:07:04 by Akalabeth »

Khell

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #31 on: 08 November 2013, 18:50:21 »
Well there are fan-funded projects. Maybe instead of petitioning IWM to take a risk on new machines that no one might buy, you or someone else could rally support around a couple designs which could be produced by IWM but funded by the fans. Of course first you would need an artist and a direction in terms of aesthetic and so forth.

[##]
I'm definitely noticing that nigh everybody is focusing entirely on the funding/cost aspect of this idea.  I've said before that I didn't/don't ever really expect my proposal to ever amount to anything, it was a query whether such had been proposed before, and some ideas on how it could work.  Beyond that, all I was hoping to get out of this thread was some different perspectives on such a plan.

If the components were interchangeable with existing designs it could also bleed into the grander battletech milieu if that's an appropriate word.

Yay, relevant discussion!
Yes, that would be something ideal.  With more and more sculpts coming out as highly multi-piece designs, it would be nice if some attention could be paid to making the connecting points for arms/legs/weapons more flexible to use with other miniatures.  If blank mechs were attempted, you wouldn't only be able to use the pieces to create your own from-scratch design, but could take one of the sets of arms and make a new Phoenix Hawk variant, or the likes.

The Talon miniatures for example were produced basically for battletech but were later picked up by a competitor.

Kweh?  Talon?

What technology of mechs were you intending?

Definitely Inner Sphere, probably you'd go stylistically with either the 3058'ish era look, or Project Phoenix.  This way they'd not be so boxy as to say they're definitely SL/SucWar era, but still compatible.  And yet they also wouldn't be the more alien/absurd look as the '67+ style, yet still not totally dissimilar.  Does that make any sense?

I don't think creating a mech would actually cost thousands of dollars. If the design is 3d modelled for free (ie by an artist interested in it) I think you can get designs made for a couple of hundred dollars. At least I have some friends who've created miniatures of their own and that was their experience. Sculptors would obviously cost more. But if it's a volunteer project where the participants mostly just get some factory-cost models of the designs.

Well, if you're going to involve digital renders, why not 3D print?  No real startup cost.

So instead of a "can IWM do this?" a better thread might be "I have an idea for a fan project. Who's interested in getting involved?"

Not to be too nitpicky, but it wasn't a "Can IWM do this" thread.  Read the OP, it was "Has anybody ever thought of doing this".  The difference is that I was asking if this had ever come up before or been considered, then giving some of my ideas how it could work.  Wasn't asking IWM to do anything, really.

Akalabeth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: 08 November 2013, 19:13:01 »
I'm definitely noticing that nigh everybody is focusing entirely on the funding/cost aspect of this idea.  I've said before that I didn't/don't ever really expect my proposal to ever amount to anything, it was a query whether such had been proposed before, and some ideas on how it could work.  Beyond that, all I was hoping to get out of this thread was some different perspectives on such a plan.

Well, getting things to amount to something is often just as simple as selling the idea and getting other people onto the bandwagon.

Kweh?  Talon?

I thought that was the original name. Bunch of mechs sculpted by Chris Lewis (or 3d-designed).
The Nightshade for example which you see on the miniature forum in a bunch of Marauder kitbashes.

I think they were originally under the guise of "Rogue Legion" by Talon Games.

Well, if you're going to involve digital renders, why not 3D print?  No real startup cost.

Hmmn, well from what I understand the do-it yourself 3D printing places are kinda crappier material and higher cost.

But you could for example 3d print a master or whatever and create a pewter mould from that.

Not to be too nitpicky, but it wasn't a "Can IWM do this" thread.  Read the OP, it was "Has anybody ever thought of doing this".  The difference is that I was asking if this had ever come up before or been considered, then giving some of my ideas how it could work.  Wasn't asking IWM to do anything, really.

Either way the idea has merit.
« Last Edit: 08 November 2013, 19:14:40 by Akalabeth »

Spector

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • Sunlight is vastly overrated!
« Reply #33 on: 09 November 2013, 00:00:31 »
Rouge Legion was originally made by Talon Games but was bought by Reaper. The minis are now apart of the CAV line. The Halberd is a sweet mini the should have been the reseen Warhammer.
*Insert clever saying/quote here*

Agent #333

Khell

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #34 on: 09 November 2013, 00:35:53 »
I thought that was the original name. Bunch of mechs sculpted by Chris Lewis (or 3d-designed).
The Nightshade for example which you see on the miniature forum in a bunch of Marauder kitbashes.

I think they were originally under the guise of "Rogue Legion" by Talon Games.
+
Rouge Legion was originally made by Talon Games but was bought by Reaper. The minis are now apart of the CAV line. The Halberd is a sweet mini the should have been the reseen Warhammer.

Interesting.  I'd seen the kitbashed Maddy in the miniatures section, and followed the trail to Reaper's site, but didn't know there was any true Btech/IWM connection to that.  I'd been toying with the idea of ordering a few "nightshade" torsos, but to get the free shipping I'd need to order eight of them (or find some other useful bits).  Not having the Marauder II / IIc available in piecemeal form, and having no pictures in the scrapyard to confirm what I'd be getting from a piecemeal Marauder is pushing this to the backburner for now.

Interesting sidenote; those Reaper mecha have a very Earthsiege/Starsiege feel, not very Battletech.