Author Topic: Most probable Battle Armor to find in a 3065 mercenary force  (Read 1493 times)

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
Which battle armor types habe the best chances of being found in a mercenary force in 3065.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Most probable Battle Armor to find in a 3065 mercenary force
« Reply #1 on: 04 April 2020, 09:24:25 »
Gray Death Standard, followed by Gray Death Scout, followed by Inner Sphere Standard. And not much else circa 3065.

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #2 on: 04 April 2020, 10:25:38 »
I'd say IS Standard the Houses easily out produce the small GD factory, and they are starting to move in to House specific variants.
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #3 on: 04 April 2020, 10:45:44 »
http://masterunitlist.info/Unit/Filter?Name=&HasBV=false&MinTons=&MaxTons=&MinBV=&MaxBV=&MinIntro=1&MaxIntro=3065&MinCost=&MaxCost=&HasRole=&HasBFAbility=&MinPV=&MaxPV=&Role=None+Selected&Technologies=1&BookAuto=&FactionAuto=&Factions=34&SubTypes=28&AvailableEras=247

as you can see, beyond some exoskeletons (good for Total Simulation™ or role playing), it's gray death variants and IS standard

their performance and loyalty to a specific employer might get them access to some house suits

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 04 April 2020, 10:54:32 »
http://masterunitlist.info/Unit/Filter?Name=&HasBV=false&MinTons=&MaxTons=&MinBV=&MaxBV=&MinIntro=1&MaxIntro=3065&MinCost=&MaxCost=&HasRole=&HasBFAbility=&MinPV=&MaxPV=&Role=None+Selected&Technologies=1&BookAuto=&FactionAuto=&Factions=34&SubTypes=28&AvailableEras=247

as you can see, beyond some exoskeletons (good for Total Simulation™ or role playing), it's gray death variants and IS standard

their performance and loyalty to a specific employer might get them access to some house suits
I will note that the Free Worlds League was mistreating mercenary units around that time, so there is a possible exception.

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 04 April 2020, 10:59:47 »
I will note that the Free Worlds League was mistreating mercenary units around that time, so there is a possible exception.

How mistreating? I am only now catching up on the FWL.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #6 on: 04 April 2020, 11:08:53 »
I'm going to say IS Standard for sure.

Every house was producing it.  (Till Davion switched over to Cavalier anyway)

The GDL might be more willing to sell, but its limited # of suits.

IS Houses were cranking out regiments of it each year so getting a few squads to an very loyal Merc unit is possible IMO.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 04 April 2020, 11:14:25 »
How mistreating? I am only now catching up on the FWL.
It might be fairer to say that loyal units were not receiving the favorable treatment that they had been in the Succession Wars. Captain-General Thomas Marik was using them as a scapegoat for the Succession Wars, which was contrasted by the chivalric nature of units like the Knights of the Inner Sphere. They were in turn leaving the League's service. Mercenaries have a long history of working for unfavorable employers, so Thomas had a hedge. He also formed a mercenary unit, Romanov's Crusaders, to act as a foreign legion.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #8 on: 04 April 2020, 11:16:30 »
Its also noted that after Guerrero he started letting units go when their contract expired, by 3065 he didn't have many left in his employ.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #9 on: 04 April 2020, 11:28:53 »
In addition to the suits already listed, Infiltrator Mk 1 and Sloth suits could potentially have been found in mercenary units who had affiliations with the Federated Commonwealth, as by then they'd been phased out in favor better, more modern suits.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #10 on: 04 April 2020, 21:34:59 »
If you look at one of the FM Merc Sups it has a difficulty roll for getting BA suits- to the point you can get Elementals even.

But I agree with the earlier mentioned IS Std BA- the AFFC & DC were cranking it out and then converting to their proprietary suits of Cavalier/Raiden as well as starting on their next generation of suits.  Which is IF you are buying used.

If you are buying new?  Its going to be the GDL series all the way- afaik they are the only ones selling new suits on the open market.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 05 April 2020, 10:11:20 »
Where can I find the most recent Random Allocation Charts for merc units?

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 05 April 2020, 12:58:54 »
Where can I find the most recent Random Allocation Charts for merc units?

For which era?  FM:3085 and FM:3145 come to mind as the literally most recent.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 05 April 2020, 13:12:51 »
For which era?  FM:3085 and FM:3145 come to mind as the literally most recent.
Sorry, 3067

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 05 April 2020, 13:32:28 »
Sorry, 3067
In this case, Total Warfare RATs or maybe one of those FM: Mercenaries RATs (if they had these, i forget) is the closest option.

EDIT Right, TW doesn't have merc RATs actually.

EDIT Yes, FM Mercenaries Revised is your source for 3067 merc RATs.

EDITagain duh: Aand it doesn't have battle armor.
« Last Edit: 05 April 2020, 13:37:00 by Empyrus »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #15 on: 05 April 2020, 14:37:05 »
In this case, Total Warfare RATs or maybe one of those FM: Mercenaries RATs (if they had these, i forget) is the closest option.

EDIT Right, TW doesn't have merc RATs actually.

EDIT Yes, FM Mercenaries Revised is your source for 3067 merc RATs.

EDITagain duh: Aand it doesn't have battle armor.

*sigh* Which is why I said you have AVAILABILITY ROLLS in a FM Merc SUP . . . I cannot remember if its I or II, but its in the back of one of them.  IE, to get Elementals without employer mods I THINK you need a 10?  IS Std or GDL IIRC need something like a 4.

If you look at one of the FM Merc Sups it has a difficulty roll for getting BA suits- to the point you can get Elementals even.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Register