Author Topic: Fishing for ideas - Name the most essential Succession Wars book  (Read 2018 times)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
i'm doing a partial rebuild of the So You Bought the Box Set post to incorporate some of the new stuff and KS items. i've hit a bit of a snag - Era Reports 2750, 3052, and 3062 act as decent anchor recommendations to help set the scene that the new TROs live in... except the late succession wars. obviously an Era Report: 30XX would be ideal but we're never getting one in that form - and since the new intro box is rooted firmly in that time period, i can't just push people past it. especially since TRO: Succession Wars goes all the way back to the 2500s so i have to acknowledge the Star League as well. the lazy easy answer is probably "go read the grey death and warrior trilogies" but not everyone wants to do that.

so. what is the most concise way possible to get people caught up on the universe ca 3025-3030?

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Minemech

• Captain
 Battlepack: 4th Succession War is a neat resource.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Historical Brush Wars might work . . . you have pre-4SW (Anton) and post (Andurien & Ronin) results.  It covers the politics of the time a bit IIRC.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
There is no product that covers the 3025 setting that is still in print.  1st and 2nd Succession War both qualify for "The Succession Wars" but you won't find any agreement even here that 2800 'feels' like Succession Wars, even if it is objectively true.

The product that most reflects what people think the Succession Wars should be is probably Historical: Brush Wars.  The product that most accurately reflects most of the available designs in TRO: Succession Wars is probably Historical: War of 3039.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Tell folks to suck it up and play early SW, or maybe War of '39 :P
TBH, highlighting that introbox isn't just 3025 but pretty much 2780-3000+ would be great.

If the original house books were around, they'd kinda work for 3025ish. House Arano sorta does this but it does focus on pretty remote area.

On serious note, lack of dead-tree format generalist starter book to go with the box sets is an issue, me thinks. A lot of folks like having a book, even if PDFs are in some ways more practical. I know i do...

Minemech

• Captain
 On occasion you will find BattleTech resources in public libraries, and charity/discount bookstores. I do not know what PDFs CGL is currently selling, but you do not need the cardboard pieces in the Battlepack. You have to hunt for dead tree versions.

Minemech

• Captain
Here is a library aid:
https://www.worldcat.org/

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
It's Post Clan Invasion, but still a great idea of 'idea fertilizing':

BattleTech: Objective Raids

And can be obtained as a PDF from Catalyst Store/Drivethru RPG
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Really, the entire Historicals series is an excellent way to learn the history of the game.  Especially if 1st and 2nd Succession War are included in that since they're very similar format even if they lack the header.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
the historicals route was the first thing i thought of as well. i'll need to look back through them

Tell folks to suck it up and play early SW, or maybe War of '39 :P
TBH, highlighting that introbox isn't just 3025 but pretty much 2780-3000+ would be great.

If the original house books were around, they'd kinda work for 3025ish. House Arano sorta does this but it does focus on pretty remote area.

the fiction and primer in the box lean first quarter of the 31st century so there needs to be a bit of a bridge to 3039 (which has some more modernish resources to call in). the 29-30th century in general is the Death Valley of canon content. Turning Points: Orbisonia is one of the few products firmly set in that time. I include House Arano in the guide because it both acts as a bridge for people made curious by the video game and also that the scenarios within work with just the GoAC box.

Really, the entire Historicals series is an excellent way to learn the history of the game.  Especially if 1st and 2nd Succession War are included in that since they're very similar format even if they lack the header.

1 and 2SW are all but historicals - they even share the product code sequence with the rest of the series. Sequencing from ER 2750/FM SLDF to Lib Terra I/II and then branching to 1/2SW on one side and Op Klondike and ED Golden Century on the other sets up a pretty decent history leading into the clan invasion

these are definitely on my list for when I made the sequel guide for post-3062

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Re: Fishing for ideas - Name the most essential Succession Wars book
« Reply #10 on: 02 April 2020, 14:51:46 »
What about Historical Turning Points: Galtor?

Its set to go off right before 4SW.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #11 on: 02 April 2020, 14:53:48 »
Historical Turning Points: Galtor and Historical Turning Points: Mallory's World always get my vote. 
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #12 on: 02 April 2020, 19:48:38 »
I will gladly put the opening section of the original Mercenary's Handbook up against nearly any other sourcebook if one wants to either impart or understand the 3025 era. Even with its mercenary-faction bias, it gives succinct breakdowns of all the major and some minor factions with a tightly controlled history back to the Star League, examines how forces are built, operations are conducted, and the types of missions and pitfalls a new player might face in-universe. The Kieths (J. Andrew in this case) were the acknowledged masters of the early 3025-era architecture, and I have always felt their standing was solidified with this work.

Further afield, it gives a decent system for unit creation, though that is not why I recommend it. The sample units are quite well-grounded in the 3rd Succession War timeframe, though, which is an added bonus.
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #13 on: 04 April 2020, 11:13:57 »
so. what is the most concise way possible to get people caught up on the universe ca 3025-3030?

As much as I "Prefer" Historical-39,   the answer I have to give here is Brush Wars for sure!

Its a great product that stretches from early 3014? to 3039 covering 3 different events, short of the old 4th SW Atlas's this is what I would choose.

The 4th SW Battlepack mentioned above is also a great source if you want some scenario ideas too.

But for pure fiction & battle reports, I have to say Brush Wars every time.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #14 on: 04 April 2020, 11:38:53 »
So I’m hearing people like Brush Wars…
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #15 on: 04 April 2020, 12:04:38 »
Brush Wars is fantastic (and really should have companion books for the rest of the 3rd Succession War), but it's not exactly concise.  Honestly, the fluff in the original TRO 3025, 3026, and even 3039 did a good job of it.  For sheer brevity, the 20 Year Update laid things out in about a short a fashion as possible, but I'd take Brush Wars over that any day.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #16 on: 04 April 2020, 12:11:05 »
But for pure fiction & battle reports, I have to say Brush Wars every time.

+1 for Brush Wars. Great product. The outlining of the Andurien Secession alone makes it a must-have for me. It's also a sourcebook that contextualizes many of the actions taken later during the War of 3039 and the 4th Succession War.

Not a bestseller, huh? That's unfortunate.

Brush Wars is fantastic (and really should have companion books for the rest of the 3rd Succession War), but it's not exactly concise.

Well yeah, it's a Historical - it's meant to go into more detail. My only qualm would be the style used for the Ronin War section, but the information with the it remains good and well presented.

My personal hope is that a similar product covering Operation Guerrero will eventually come out, but the realist in me knows that I'm definitely in the minority for that one and that chances of that happening are beyond slim.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 04 April 2020, 12:16:59 »
My personal hope is that a similar product covering Operation Guerrero will eventually come out, but the realist in me knows that I'm definitely in the minority for that one and that chances of that happening are beyond slim.
Wasn't there Bush Wars II planned at some point, covering Guerrero, St. Ives War, and Ghost Bear-Draconis Combine war?
Wish that thing existed :(

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #18 on: 04 April 2020, 12:29:32 »
Wasn't there Bush Wars II planned at some point, covering Guerrero, St. Ives War, and Ghost Bear-Draconis Combine war?

RIP
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 04 April 2020, 12:58:11 »

Anne-Marrie van Creveld deserves a good write-up. 

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #20 on: 04 April 2020, 18:28:21 »

Last I remember hearing is the material was still floating out there but was probably getting repackaged.
Colt Ward

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 05 April 2020, 15:49:37 »

Fourth Successsion War Military Atlas, pdf avalible from CGL, 2 volumes - battleforce product
Brush wars
Historical 3039 - battleforce product
Historical Turning Points: Galtor
Turning Points: Orbisonia
Turning Points:War of 3039 Vega
Turning Points:Misery
Turning Points:Death to mercenaries
BattleTech: Chaos Campaign: Succession Wars
BattleTech: Combat Manual: Mercenaries
BattleTech: Combat Manual: Kurita
BattleTech: Mercenary's Handbook, the original '80s one
House books, the '80s ones
BattleTech: Periphery (1st Edition)
BattleTech: Starterbook: Sword and Dragon

Aside from those, some of the really old scenario packs are good, if impossible to find.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #22 on: 05 April 2020, 16:00:15 »
"The Fourth Succession War Scenarios" is great, yes.  :thumbsup:

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #23 on: 05 April 2020, 18:45:31 »
He said Most . . . and I thought about the Atlas but its too much data, its something someone gets if they want to get into more depth about the 4SW.
Colt Ward

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #24 on: 05 April 2020, 19:56:19 »
4th SW Battlepack is allot more plug and play
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

abou

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 05 April 2020, 20:15:01 »
Honestly, you can't go wrong with TRO: 3039. And at least you can get a PDF of it. For me, the books that most established the setting were TROs 3025 and 3026, which had a lot of historical data and flavor packed in them. Even the very last entry in 3025 about the 'mech repair facility put a lot onto that page. Another book that was invaluable to me was the setting information in the back of Mechwarrior 1st Ed, which to my knowledge was the first place that the history of game was first laid out.

It was pretty good... just saying.

Personally, I think the historicals have been some of the best books the IP has to its name.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 05 April 2020, 20:59:41 »
Personally, I think the historicals have been some of the best books the IP has to its name.

I completely agree with this.  They are so far the only product line from modern BattleTech that I have the full catalog.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #27 on: 05 April 2020, 21:14:51 »
I completely agree with this.  They are so far the only product line from modern BattleTech that I have the full catalog.

I will second that.  I have them all in print except for Operation Klondike, and I have that one in PDF.  Hands down my favorites of all the sourcebooks.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

bobthecoward

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 05 April 2020, 21:55:50 »
The very first House Kurita book (available as PDF) is probably the best for this. Since it was the first, it tells both the general story and the Combine story. It covers everything: second Soviet civil war, reunification war, succession wars, etc. Plus, it helps ameliorate some of the weaker characterization of the draconian combine.